Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Tim's pedal for loops?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Poparad Posted - 04/21/2003 : 8:13:10 PM
I saw Tim in Cleveland about 2 years ago (actually 2 years ago from the 18th come to think of it) and I remember he was using some sort of box with 4 buttons on it to sample loops longer than the 2 seconds the DD-5 offers. He used it I'm certain on The Wayfarer and a few others I can't recall. I've been looking for something that will let me set longer loops than my DD-5 but I don't want to shell out mucho dinero for a box that does everything under the sun in order to get the feature. From what I saw of him using it Tim only did loops and delays on it, but it might've been a modeller or something for all I know.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
FiS Posted - 05/06/2003 : 01:44:22 AM
i got mine for $240 + $20 adapter
CheersDtoT Posted - 05/06/2003 : 01:26:52 AM
I have been looking at the Line 6 DL4 for some time now .... on their website . But no matter where i look i never seem to find a price list. So how much does a new DL4 cost ?? Cause I'm thinking about getting one
Cheers
FiS Posted - 04/29/2003 : 02:07:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dalin

So does the DL4 loop for 14 or 28 seconds? I have been told by a few sources it goes for 14, but then again, FiS has it. 14 seconds is actually quite a bit of time in the looping world. As for the overdubs, the Akai lets you loop overdubs, not just put it on infinite delay, which it sounds like climbn2X2 said. I really like overdubbing loopings. So does anyone actually know if the DL4 does that? I am looking into getting one this summer and I'm hearing different things from the people here and salesmen.

you can record in 2 modes set by a pedal before you start looping the first track.... 14 secs and 28secs... if you record in 14sec mode you can then slow it down to half speed... and if you record in 28sec mode you can then double the speed later... i usually just keep it in 28sec mode... i dont know why they dont advertise it as 28secs...

im not sure exactly what you mean by looping overdubs... you can overdub as many times as want... but the timing of the loop is only the same as the first track you initially recorded... everythign after the first one is just added into it--like it was done at the same time... you can't have 2 different tracks repeating at different time intervals because essentially theres only 1 track thats being looped and its timing is set by the first track... the overdubs are just mixed in with whatever has been recorded previously... (if you want two different loops to play at different timings you'd need 2 pedals) ... its not infinite delay, but the whole loop gradually decreases very subtly in volume at each repetition, so whatever you recorded most recently is the loudest and then going back through each dub back to the beginning is less and less... so your initial loop is first to go (unless you've recorded it at a louder volume than a later overdub) but it takes a long time to notice this... i mean the loop isnt just going to fade away on you as soon as you record it... it works as you'd expect a loop pedal to work... i hope this explains it for ya... you'll probably have to just play one for yourself...
Saint Jude Posted - 04/29/2003 : 12:25:59 AM
it can do 14, or 28. u can double/half the speed with the touch of a button. and yes u can overdub other stuff on the dl4.

quote:
originally posted by climbn2x2

i like the DL-4 much better for looping guitar. i believe there is no limit on the overdubs, but the loops will decay over time, so after a while, your first loop isnt as loud and the consecutive loops.

Dalin Posted - 04/29/2003 : 12:13:10 AM
So does the DL4 loop for 14 or 28 seconds? I have been told by a few sources it goes for 14, but then again, FiS has it. 14 seconds is actually quite a bit of time in the looping world. As for the overdubs, the Akai lets you loop overdubs, not just put it on infinite delay, which it sounds like climbn2X2 said. I really like overdubbing loopings. So does anyone actually know if the DL4 does that? I am looking into getting one this summer and I'm hearing different things from the people here and salesmen.
climbn2x2 Posted - 04/27/2003 : 1:33:32 PM
i have both a RC-20 and a DL-4. i prefer the DL-4 because its a more versatile pedal due to the delay models built in. you can loop for ~28 seconds if you have it set on half speed (it plays back normally, unless you turn halfspeed off, then you get a disco song). It is true that you can save up to 10 different loops on the RC-20, but this function isnt very good for spontaneous, live performance. you must bend over and push a little button to save the loop (this stops the loop from playing, so its very annoying). you can use the expression pedal to cycle through the saved loops, but you can only go incrementally (saved loop 1 ->loop 2->3... etc). overall, i like the DL-4 much better for looping guitar. i believe there is no limit on the overdubs, but the loops will decay over time, so after a while, your first loop isnt as loud and the consecutive loops.

i have never used a headrush or a boomarang. the boomarang is too expensive for me, but i hear it has some nice features, so i will have to try one sometime. Trey Anastasio of Phish uses two of them in his live setup (one for guitar, one for keyboards)
FiS Posted - 04/23/2003 : 12:32:13 AM
i got a dl4... the rc-20 was over my budget... loops up to ~28 (27.8 i think) seconds... good enough for most songs... no limit on overdubs contrary to what dalin said... i love it btw... only wish i could store them.. i wonder why they didnt put some sort of flash interface but i guess they were made a while ago
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/22/2003 : 10:00:58 PM
I think the Boomerang Loop is better than the Boss RC-20 Loop Station. It has a foot slider for volume, and is easier to operate by foot and on the fly than the RC-20...less bending over. Boss's products all involve a lot of bending over....

Adam
Dalin Posted - 04/22/2003 : 5:21:34 PM
Tim does use the Boss DD-5 and the Line 6 DL4, but if you are looking for a good looping pedal for yourself, I recommend the Boss Loop Station (if you can afford it -- retail it's not that much more than the DL4). The Loop Station can loop for up to five minutes, plus it has a memory to store programmed loops. On the cheaper side, I recommend the Akai E1 Headrush (it's what I use). It loops for 24 seconds, while the Line 6 DL4 loops for only 14 second. Plus, you can do as many overdubs as you want as long as the total time is less than 24 seconds (I think the DL4 can only do 1 or 2 overdubs, but I may be wrong). Overall, the Headrush seems like a better pedal to me, plus it's cheaper. It doesn't have the reverse function the DL4 does, but it does have digital delay and a tape delay, with tap tempo or knob adjustment.
Poparad Posted - 04/21/2003 : 9:56:08 PM
Cool, thanks. I'll have to look into getting one of those.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/21/2003 : 8:53:40 PM
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler.

Adam

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000