Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Guitar Troubles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CPPJames Posted - 04/15/2003 : 5:23:57 PM
I don't know if this is something I should be concerned about, or how concerned I should be. Anyway...when I tune my guitar with a tuner and get everything perfect, an open chord sounds great, etc. etc...everything's wonderful.

However, I played my high E string fretted on the 12th fret (obviously E as well). It came in almost a semi-tone flat (relative to 1E). Is this something I should worry about? What would the reason for this be?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arthen Posted - 04/25/2003 : 02:58:19 AM
That's awesome! Congrats! Glad your guitar was fixed for the "audition". Let us know how it goes.
CPPJames Posted - 04/25/2003 : 02:01:03 AM
I was kinda shocked. On another note, I went to a coffee shop tonight with my friend and they introduced me to the people that run the place and they're looking for someone to just play some cover songs and what-not (Dave, James Taylor, CCR type stuff) and I had my guitar. So I ended up getting it out and playing a bit (I can hold my own up until you get into serious lead stuff) and it worked out well. I guess they want me to play for a couple hours next week, so I'm pumped!
Arthen Posted - 04/24/2003 : 10:04:22 PM
Heh. Glad it was just a restringing problem. :D
CPPJames Posted - 04/24/2003 : 8:09:27 PM
Re-stringing it fixed it. Man, those strings must have been a lot older than I thought. Restrung it with elixir lights and presto, 12th fret is fine. Thanks for the advice/assistance.
CPPJames Posted - 04/21/2003 : 01:29:26 AM
Haven't gotten around to fixing it...probably gonna swing by my neighborhood guitar shop tomorrow if I have some time. For the time being, I'm sticking to the bass strings =).
Arthen Posted - 04/20/2003 : 02:31:46 AM
So, what's the word CppJames? What was the problem?
Arthen Posted - 04/16/2003 : 02:53:34 AM
I used to have that problem with my high E string too. You know, when the harmonic ends up at 13, instead of 12. But the high E was the only string. I took care of it for fourteen dollars, when I bought a pack of elixirs and restrung my guitar.

So yeah, restring it first. If it still does it, then take it in.
CPPJames Posted - 04/16/2003 : 12:04:45 AM
I've adjusted/sanded the saddle and the bridge and I've adjusted the truss rod because my action was horrible to begin with. Could use a very slight truss adjustment because I get a little tiny bit of fret buzz, but that's about it.
j Posted - 04/15/2003 : 11:13:28 PM
if you've never had your guitar set up then you should probably do that. Most places, at least the ones I've been to, charge you around 40 dollars for a set up.
CPPJames Posted - 04/15/2003 : 11:01:48 PM
I highly doubt it's the truss rod. The only string that I'm having an issue with is my high E string. Every other string is fine. The strings are somewhat old too, although I don't see that having this much of an effect. I'm gonna take it in, methinks.
joojoo Posted - 04/15/2003 : 9:08:37 PM
You might want to check your truss rod too... that's the bar inside the neck that determines the tension with which the neck pulls the strings back. You can kind of look down your neck or fret a string in two places observing the height of the string off the fretboard between those two places to see if your neck is bending under the tension of the strings. If this is the case, most people should take their guitar to someone qualified to work on such things, but if you are feeling adventurous...

You take an allen wrench, losen your strings and reach down into the soundhole with the allen wrench. Look to the side of the soundhole between it and the beginning of the neck. there should be a thing you can stick the wrench in and adjust. I believe it's commonly right for more tension, left for less, but you should check with your manufacturer and/or any literature that you got with your guitar. Adjusting your truss rod, if needed, should help your intonation. However, if your off by a half step, you shuld probably take it to someone anyway.

please read up and be sure of what you are doing before you even think of doing any setting up to your guitar. Do a google search: it's out there.
CPPJames Posted - 04/15/2003 : 8:48:41 PM
I'll have to take it to my local guitar shop...I hope this doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.
Saint Jude Posted - 04/15/2003 : 5:45:24 PM
get it intonated. the reason is the string is not being bent enough for that note to be right on when u play it at that fret.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000