Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Jimi Thing Questions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/16/2003 : 11:41:13 AM
I've been listening to two of Tim's solos on Jimi Thing lately, the one from Live At Luther, and the one from Live In Chicago. There are a couple questions I have on these that I thought the people here may be able to answer.

What key, if any, if he sticks to one key, is Tim playing in? I mean, I know he's all over the fucking fretboard, but does he stick to one key, like A Major or Minor for example? Or is he playing something modal, like A Mixo? (I only use the key of A as an example here)

I'm really looking for any info about these solos, and other Tim solos. I just pick these because they kick so much ass, and I'm trying to become a better soloist on guitar. I'm not looking to learn Tim's solos from these two Jimi Things note for note, I haven't even looked at the TAB for them yet. I'm just trying to understand more what a good soloist does/thinks/plays.

On the note about the TAB though, I'd like to take a look at it just to see what notes he is playing, and how they fit in a scale/mode, if they do. If anyone has a good TAB or can point me in the direction of a good TAB for either of these, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jimiforrest Posted - 03/29/2003 : 12:55:27 PM
Well TR has a lot of diffrent chakras to open up during any of dave songs its unpredictable when it comes out

and yeah the new tour Tims been pretty mellow...not a whole lot of solos on the usual songs

He tends to stick to one type of scale with a little bit of decorations thrown in for jazz, lots of decoration for the middle east stuff, and the norm for the normal dave songs

First of all, learn how to tap just a little bit and play with your fingers (tim uses his fingers 3/4 time in his solo at the live in chicago, including the chromatic licks) and you can start to get a feel for a different approach to improvising

if you run out of licks to play in one position or you just feeling a bit repetitive change positions, ESPECIALLY on the E minor pentatonic I was talking about, Tim makes a lot of things sounds hella cool by sliding back and forth between those places, it makes you take a lot different approach to things

Tim has a great flow too, it sounds like hes noodling but hes fuckin goin all out, so just everytime you pick up the guitar THINK about what you are doing (should I put heavy tremelo hear? Im gonna repeat that last lick over and over because it sounds cool) and youll get better at improvising

Play with a metronome to increase speed
Arthen Posted - 03/29/2003 : 05:15:41 AM
Shit man, sometimes it just seems like he opens up and lets it out. It is so amazing how much he can do, how fucking good it sounds, and have it so spontatneous and instantaneous.

I've been hearing he seems really mellow and held back except for the major songs on this D&T tour. I wonder what's up with that.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/29/2003 : 03:21:39 AM
Thanks for your input. I pretty much know Dave's parts to these songs inside and out, but knowing SOMEWHAT what Tim's thought process is while soloing over them is a big help to me in my soloing/improvising. The biggest thing I'm looking at is playing faster. I'm decent at improvising slower solos and stuff, but its those fast licks he plays that boggle my mind. It's just like "Where the fuck does he come up with that so fast?" I have learned from listening to older stuff, and him playing with Dave on this later tour that a lot of his prowess in soloing with Dave is the fact that Tim, too, seems to know DAVE'S guitar parts inside and out.

Adam
Jimiforrest Posted - 03/29/2003 : 01:41:29 AM
The chords he plays over are E, G5/D, then a quick A G# G

Yeah he does tend to stick in one key, but he shifts the feelings a lot

For example, in the chicago version he starts out playing a few licks in the e major pentatonic, then goes down the fretboard and plays a lot of alternate open closed strings on a minor pentatonic string and is pretty consistent in keeping that minor going. Except for the shredding licks where its all chromatic (he goes on the bottom two strings, 17-19 on B then 17-19 on E and up one fret 18-20 on B and 18-20 on E and then down to 15 and back up and back down, then he adds an extra note another two frets apart on the E string, goes all the way down to the 12th and does a shred pattern thats a little odd

E-12-14-15-16-12-14--12
B------------------15--14-12-14--12
G------------------------------15--14

and so on and then he does a really weird pattern behind which no theory is evidently put there (usually you dont use the note right after the barr of the chord (in this case 13, after the 12th fret) but tims a genius so...

E
B
G
D
A------------------13-16-14-13-14-16
E-13-16-14-13-14-16

and so on down the strings

Its a bit weird in this case but I think Tim was going through his shred stages, since they sound pretty good played at his speed (670bpm, I can do it at 575)

for the live at luther college hes following an entire different jam, with a lot of jazz chords (the jimi hendrix E on purple haze, A7, and two other jazz chords played with a g pull off on the 6th string) meaning lot of chances to fill in the minor pentatonic with a little bit of jazz fills

heres a great example of one of my favorite licks that timmy plays that adds a lot of fills

E-12-------------12
B----15-12-13-14----15-12-13-14

so his E Minor Scale is with a lot of fills and probably looks like this

E-12-13-14-15
B-12-13-14-15
G-12----14-15
D-12-13-14
A-12-13-14
E-12----14-15

DO NOT ACCENTUATE THE EXTRA NOTES use them as passing notes to kind of add that jazz feel to it

also for the live at luther, he bends the 15th fret note (G) on the High E string a lot and does a bit of trem picking if you wanna mess around with that, it has greatly imrpoved my vibrato, try it

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000