Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 First effect

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GRock Posted - 01/29/2003 : 12:50:20 PM
i don't really use any effects on my guitar right now except an acoustic DI which barely even counts. any suggestions on a first effect? i intend to buy one and once i have some fun with that to go out and buy another and so on. oh and i play acoustic. any help is great.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DaRavyn Posted - 01/30/2003 : 2:46:20 PM
wow you all got your DD-5 dirt cheap i think I got raped I paid 160 I think. Oh well not that Tim uses this but the first delay pedal I got was the Boss RV5 i think it is the only digital delay reverb pedal they have its like grey. I think it is sweet as shit still and still to this day mess around with it the delay lengths arent too long but you can still have some fun with it. As for the chorus pedal I have the boss one too it is cool but right now i am using it for a paper weight.
Rob
dirtysloth Posted - 01/30/2003 : 1:11:53 PM
Chorus pedals give a fuller sound, although I personally don't like to use them on acoustics myself. However, a lot of people do, and I'd say that's ok when used with caution. What gives the chorus effect is actually a very slight delay, and you can actually get chorus sounds out of some delay rack units(as well as flanging which is very similar), and maybe some footpedals too for all I know, but I've never seen one(you do this by adjusting delay time and depth). When you use it very heavily it actually shifts the pitch around a little. Twelve string guitars actually have a natural chorusing effect.

Delay is always a good first effect. It's the kind of thing that can add a fullness to your sound and can be used very often(take the whole Gossip album for example), unlike a phaser or flanger, which sound great with the right songs but probably wouldn't be something you would use very often at all. The boss delays we know are good because a lot of us here have used them, but you should try out other things too, just to see what pedal makes the most sense to you. By the way, I saw the DD-5 on sale at Guitar Center for $90(used to go for about $140, I got mine for $120 on sale). I don't know if that's just a local thing, but it might be worth checking out.
GRock Posted - 01/30/2003 : 12:48:07 PM
Right now i got nothing except an acoustic DI. i play an Ibanez and my buddy's Martin when it matters. oh if you want to count it i have an BOSS TU-2 inline tuner. i've had the sound guy add a little reverb and it definately fills out the tone. the DI is great at that too. like i said this would be a first effect.

a few of my friends have just a chorus pedal. they seem happy but can you do anything with a chorus pedal? i think they could even add that at the soundboard too. what do you guys think?

the board seems to have a real love for boss delay pedals. i am guessing that no matter what that is the brand i should follow?? and i may be able to get a volume pedal for cheap off a friend, so, taking your advice, that may be the way to go too?

what kind of setup do you guys use? no doubt there is probably already a post thread about that.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/29/2003 : 10:31:05 PM
I agree, a delay pedal is a good first effect. I say go for a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay. It doesn't have ALL the bells and whistles of the DD-5/6 or the Line 6 DL-4, but it also does not have the price of those pedals. And if its your first pedal, you may not even like effects or delay effects, and who wants to waste $140-250 on a pedal they wont use or wont keep?

Also, a volume pedal and a reverb pedal are good first choices.

What kind of a guitar are you planning to use these effects with? What's your current setup?

Adam
Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/29/2003 : 1:23:28 PM
You can never go wrong with a digital delay... especially one that loops like the dd-5/6 or the dl-4.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000