Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Jack Johnson

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carpediem Posted - 11/01/2002 : 12:57:50 AM
After reading the John Mayor opinions (might i add that the post is the length of the bible) i would like to hear what you have to say about Jack Johnson. Personaly I think he makes great songs and he is a favorite of mine lately. So post your opinions now if you want.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CPPJames Posted - 04/18/2003 : 3:01:12 PM
I completely agree GuitarGuy...complex progressions do not a good song make. I've heard songs that I view as damn near impossible to play, but they suck. No one wants to listen to someone practice on a record or live for that matter. That's what I like about Tim...as complicated as his stuff can be, it's coherent and well composed. It's not just shouting "hey! I can play this, look at me!".

I think songs must be looked at as a whole...lyrics can be very important. I mean, if someone released an instrumental album with just I-IV-V progressions, that would suck.

On the other hand, if someone can entertain me with a two chord song and phenomenal lyrics...then I say that's talent in and of itself.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 04/18/2003 : 2:33:11 PM
I don't see anything wrong with using a simple chord progression in a song, as long as the overall song is good. What I mean is, I've heard some songs that will alternate from G->C for the verses, then go somethign like G->D->C->G for the choruses. Which, sure, it sounds simple and trite, but the songs kick ass. I'm a big lyric guy though, and I think that if you've got kickass lyrics, they can go over a simpler chord progression and it won't sound trite and pointless.

With so many musical artists, songwriters, etc... in the world with countless songs, it's nearly impossible to not sound like someone/something else every once in a while.

Adam
victorwootenfan Posted - 04/18/2003 : 2:18:13 PM
man, i enjoy jack johnson. i got a good video of him doing the song rodeo clowns on my bonnaroo tape. he's a cool feller!
CPPJames Posted - 04/18/2003 : 1:48:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

Emaj - Bmaj - C#min - Amaj
I swear I want to kill Blink 182 and any other idiiot that makes money from something that has been recycled into a pile of trash like that progression. Some are just not as talented as us, you, or me.

Songs in the key of E? LOL...I understand your point, there are obviously a lot of commonly used progessions. You can probably play 500 different songs from the 60s that run throw G, C and D. And how many blues songs are based on a 12 bar blues progression? Still plenty of damn good ones.

The old school rock three chord song can still kick ass in my opinion. I personally don't care if the song is a three chord song or a song that changes keys 20 times and has phenomenally complicated progressions...if I like the song, I like the song.
tim~and~dave Posted - 04/18/2003 : 1:05:25 PM
anybody have Jack Jonhsons new album yet?
rubylith Posted - 04/18/2003 : 12:58:42 PM
anyone know needs to rip anything off obviously is obviously less talented then any real musician or song writer. But sometimes it is an accident, I mean think of how many songs there are in the world, there is an uncountable amount. We can only compare to popular songs. Im surprised at how that shitty pop punk stuff sells, I mean how many songs can have the chord progression:
Emaj - Bmaj - C#min - Amaj
I swear I want to kill Blink 182 and any other idiiot that makes money from something that has been recycled into a pile of trash like that progression. Some are just not as talented as us, you, or me.
jayk54 Posted - 04/17/2003 : 7:20:28 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to pass along a James Taylor e-card that someone sent me. I guess it's to celebrate the release of his "Best of James Taylor" album that just came out. Enjoy and pass it on!

http://www.hyfntrak.com/jamestaylor/ohm/
j Posted - 03/25/2003 : 4:32:49 PM
in fact, I think no one said, much less yelled, anything to that effect
j Posted - 03/25/2003 : 4:29:05 PM
I said nothing to that effect
Curious George Posted - 03/25/2003 : 3:17:28 PM
You're all yelling why this Johnson guy is a big Dave rip off, yet you forget that most of Dave's songs are Frank Zappa, Santana, and Eric Clapton rip off's. Then there's his 2 newer sell out cd's (everyday, busted stuff) and all his covers.

Dave's pretty good, except his newer sell out stuff (everyday, busted stuff) but everyone rips off of someone, the only problem is if hip hop, punk, or heavy metal rip off classic rock. That's when heads need to roll. Only talented people have the right to rip people off.
j Posted - 03/23/2003 : 12:55:16 AM
I think he's a good songwriter and guitar player. I like "man in the middle" if only because of the flute. Regardless, while his stuff is good, I only listened to him for about 2 months because I got bored with it. It is good for what it is.

And Jack Johnson and John Mayer are completely different. What's more, who cares why they make music? If it's good it's good and if it's bad it's bad. To quote TR: "a good song is a good song. Whether it's country or some guy playing machinery."
Madhatter6822 Posted - 03/19/2003 : 10:56:24 PM
I had no idea all these people knew about jack johnson, i need to catch up with the time. What are you guys favorite songs, "bubble toes" "Flake" or others?
jayk54 Posted - 03/07/2003 : 5:57:37 PM
I bet most of you Jack Johnson fans would like James Taylor! Did you see James Taylor's performance on the Grammy's? He was so amazing, such a teaser. I went to check out his website and it says he's touring starting in May. I'm so exicted I'll finally be able to see him live.
therippa Posted - 12/14/2002 : 2:31:36 PM
My old roomates saw him live at their school (a real small show) and video taped it and got signed CD's and shit...they were literally ready to come over it.

Then I pointed out the Tim signature on my Martin and said that's something to get excited about
wilson Posted - 12/01/2002 : 03:54:35 AM
If this is the Jack Johnson I think it is, then it's yet another Aussie climbing his way into the music scene. I had never heard of him before until my girlfriend introduced me to him(Ironically she's American), and I like his music although I can't say that it inspires much in me. To be honest I haven't had a good listen to it, as I've had a few other new cd's on higher priority...I guess that's testament to how good it is. it's good, but not awesome. On the subject of awesome, have a listen to a few other Australian bands breaking into bigger arenas that have a really good name here in Oz. Just a few bands called

George (really good, and absolutely amazing live)
John Butler Trio (same as George, in fact George played the set before John Butler Trio last time I saw them and some awesome 12 string finger picking going on)
Regurgitator
Spiderbait

Spiderbait and 'gurge arent that great, but worth a listen as they do pretty different music. I'm yet to listen to Tim Reynolds but I promise I'll get there!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/26/2002 : 8:59:29 PM
The site that has just my shows you can't download from (the one that says "my music list" - - but I can probably B&P or trade you some [via mail] if you want to). The other one downloading from should be more or less self explanatory. That one's not mine, it's someones (don't really know whose, prob the govts) but Erich basically got that one going. I just keep the link handy. And I'll be glad to answer any questions if that doesn't help.
CheersDtoT Posted - 11/26/2002 : 8:46:02 PM

hey enthuTIMsiast how do we download those concerts from your music ??? I just wanted to grab some TR shows ! Thanks , Cheers !!!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/25/2002 : 11:15:58 PM
Yeah man just check my list and see what you like. I'll do a b&p for you, no problem. Maybe 10 discs, that sound good? Email me and or post here.
Carpediem Posted - 11/25/2002 : 10:52:55 PM
enthutimsiast. you said you had some jj show a wile ago and i was wonder if i could get those from you if at all possible. thanks
keith Posted - 11/06/2002 : 01:20:40 AM
On the topic of jack johnson i must say that i really enjoy his music,he's got that mellow surfer scene of music. He is even better in concert, i had the opportunity to see him live on his first concert on the west coast last february in chico california, by that point i had been listening to him for quite a few months and the show was sick. It was standing room only with like 300 or so people there, he covered a jimmy buffet song and i think i was the only one in the crowd that knew who jimmy buffet was, he also covered a sublime song and a bob marley song, the crowd got 3 encores out of him it was bad-ass, you need to go see him live!!!!!
Carpediem Posted - 11/04/2002 : 8:40:15 PM
Thats crazy. Right when you i was reading about the guitar question my mom asked me about it. she asked how would she know witch one it is and i told her i will get her more info on it.
CheersDtoT Posted - 11/03/2002 : 10:37:14 PM

Yes a 12 busting is needed ....... I just need to grab some picks .... I got my new strings today ( but from Bizar Guitar ..YUK-YUK ) but lets still trip out there . You ask your parents about the guitar yet ??? See Ya At Schoozal ....... CHEERS !
Carpediem Posted - 11/03/2002 : 4:38:51 PM
Fo sho. But you know if i go i will have to bust out on the 12's
CheersDtoT Posted - 11/03/2002 : 3:51:37 PM

Thanks for calling me an idiot Chris ...... but it's all good . But hey tomorrow I have to go to Maytan ... you want to come .... I have to get new strings ? Cheers !
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/03/2002 : 01:13:31 AM
Hehe... thanks for the kind words but I claim nothing greater than adequacy.
Carpediem Posted - 11/02/2002 : 4:00:11 PM
Right now JJ is a big inspiration to me right now. But i'm still a newbie to this guitar stuff...but one day i will be able to compete w/ you greg...or maybe even silky...of what i hear from cheersdtot you are great. I really dont know how skilled JJ is though because like guitarguy said his songs are simple and i've never really heard him bust anything out. And who said he is in it for the wrong way...i dont think that at all. In all his interviews he seems like a very simple, laid back, down to earth guy. I don't really listen to ben harper that much, but i do know of him...so when you relate jj to him i dont know if thats a good or bad thing.
hey greg...you are an idiot. j/k
Peace
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 11/02/2002 : 12:46:42 PM
From what I've heard, I like Jack Johnson. Yes, his songs do sound alike, but a lot of people say that about DMB also, whether it is true or not. I think having people say you're songs sound alike just means that you have a certain sound to your music that is constant throughout all of your songs, such is the case with DMB.

JJ has some really simple songs, as far as guitar goes, which his guitar playing fans probably eat up, because it's easy for them to learn. I for one find nothign wrong with simple guitar work on songs, and simply structured songs. With my own music I tend to take a less is more approach, opting for standard chord progressions rather than intricate technical guitar figures. It's not that I'm not capable of writing them, I wrote that way for years, I've just been inspired by simpler things lately; David Gray, John Prine, etc... and found that I don't need to get really technical and fancy to satisfy myself and get my feelings out through the music. I'm not saying all of my songs are simply "cowboy chords", but I'm definitely not afraid to go there.

Adam
Street-Samurai Posted - 11/01/2002 : 3:45:20 PM
My main problem with JJ is his songs tend to sound very similar. He also needs to learn what a bridge is. I listened to him for aboot a week and then I lost interest. I'll admit that Rodeo Clowns is a great song but thats the only one I'll listen to from TIMe to TIMe.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/01/2002 : 2:03:22 PM
John Mayer... very corporate. But I actually read an interview with JJ where he said he originally didn't want to quit surfing to be a musician and that everyone around him told him he was too talented not to pursue it... and that's why he chose to go the route of music.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/01/2002 : 1:42:39 PM
JTR, understand that I'm not saying this to be disagreeing with you, and you may already know all this: Jack Johnson used to be a professional surfer. He started making surf videos. For the videos he needed background music, so he started writing, basing his writing on his experience playing with Ben Harper and G-Love. He performed for his videos, which is basically from where he got discovered. His fanbase grew from surf fans to where it is now.

I was into him for a while, but I drifted back to TIM pretty fast. I even have quite a few JJ shows, if anyone wants any of them. Pretty repetitive setlists, sound, etc. I stopped listening to him much because of his growing popularity (what an awful reason, I know) and the fact that his music depresses me. That's the main thing.
JTR Posted - 11/01/2002 : 1:32:20 PM
Now, about 6 months ago my friend gave me a burned copy of that CD of his, and I listened to it for a few minutes and moved on to some other CD that had higher priority at the time. Since then, I have not touched that CD again. No desire. Nothing. Meanwhile, I listen to TR at least two or three times a day, not counting when I play his music. And in the same sense, Jack Johnson reminds me of John Mayer, in that it seems he writes music so he can get chicks/popularity. He may be a good guitarist, but it seems to me its for all the wrong reasons.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/01/2002 : 11:26:48 AM
You're welcome.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 11/01/2002 : 11:15:19 AM
quote:
Jason... He's got some good stuff.

Thank you, thank you very much.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/01/2002 : 10:54:23 AM
I like em' both. I hadn't heard of of Jack Johnson until Jason told me about him. He's got some good stuff.
CheersDtoT Posted - 11/01/2002 : 03:25:27 AM

Are you trying to be tight like me Chris ...??? HUM ?? Well no JJ is a pretty good topic . As far as I think I don't really like him . To me he seems like the new Ben Harper ( which isn't really that bad ) . I like JJ's music .... but then again I don't .... simply because his music doesn't grab my attention .... much like how we talked about Mayer ...... he just doesn't grab me in to his music ! Nut hey if the man is doing what he loves to do then more power to him and to all of his fans. Those are my thought - Oh Chris remember this quote from Celeb. Jep. - And you wrote THREVE , a combination of three and five ,.......... and I'm speechless ! I love that one ! CHEERS !

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000