Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Tim's Effects

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
brian2730@aol.com Posted - 10/28/2002 : 8:07:55 PM
Hey everyone, i have a quick question. I am a guitar player and am interested in creating an effect that i have only actually heard tim reynolds and trey anastasio use. I am probably wrong but i was just curious if you guys could help me. Its going to be hard to explain i guess without a definite song the two use it in. It seems to me to be a live thing so i dunno. Anyway, it sounds almost like a a radio frequency noise in which the pitch shifts really high. I guess the best explanation i could give is that radio frequency noise. anyone have any ideas? thanks.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dirtysloth Posted - 11/02/2002 : 5:07:53 PM
Maybe he shares your opinion. Yeah, I forgot to mention that too. That wah is what really makes that such a neat sound. And the wah on the leads over it makes it extra special.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 11/02/2002 : 4:26:46 PM
Was I wrong or something? Why quote me?

Adam
Saint Jude Posted - 11/02/2002 : 3:04:06 PM
quote:
I think he used the wah with that backwards thing too in DDTW.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 11/02/2002 : 1:04:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dirtysloth

If you've seen Storytellers, he uses that reverse effect on Don't Drink the Water at the end. He puts the repeats way up and while the delay time is the shortest, he plays a low d, and when he takes the delay time and moves it all the way up, this moves it down an octave. Very eery. This is just an obvious example. He does that a lot live at his shows.

I think he used the wah with that backwards thing too in DDTW.

Adam
ngetal Posted - 11/01/2002 : 04:05:21 AM
radio frequentcy?? could this be a ring modulator??

he uses the moogerfooger ring mod

dirtysloth Posted - 10/30/2002 : 9:20:18 PM
If you've seen Storytellers, he uses that reverse effect on Don't Drink the Water at the end. He puts the repeats way up and while the delay time is the shortest, he plays a low d, and when he takes the delay time and moves it all the way up, this moves it down an octave. Very eery. This is just an obvious example. He does that a lot live at his shows.
brian2730@aol.com Posted - 10/30/2002 : 8:59:10 PM
Cool, i am researching the whammy pedal as we speak. Thanks for all the great ideas guys, i really appreciate it. I will definetly try the reverse idea on the DD-5, it sounds cool. Thanks again everyone, definetly one of the more responsive boards ive ever been on. Thanks.
dirtysloth Posted - 10/29/2002 : 5:11:39 PM
Ok, cool, that was what you were talking about. Yeah, that's the whammy pedal alright. I think it's also on the cd release of Big Butt Pie. Anyway, as for other methods of pitch changing on the DD-5(other than the reverse mode)...

This doesn't get that kind of sound, but it does change the pitch. Take mode 7, turn effect level and feedback most of the way up, if not all the way, and play like a low E or something just to test it. If you move the delay time the pitch will change as you move it. If you just leave it stationary you can get some really cool church bell kind of sounds with delay time in the right place(it depends what note your playing, but generally keep it pretty low).
Saint Jude Posted - 10/29/2002 : 5:09:01 PM
quote:
think I may know what your talking about . Take a dd-5 , set it to the reverse mode - turn the feedback all the way up so it goes to an infinite delay - then by turning the delay time ( d-time) up and down you can change octives and give it that low to high pitch sound...... try that maybe it's whats your looking for . ! Cheers !

you can do that but that is insainly dificult to pull off live. But ofcourse tim can do it. But what he is using there is a wammy pedal. Digitech. thats how he can chage octaves so fast and though multiple octaves. the dd-5 is limited to one, and u have to hold the note till it is gone though the entire slow repeat mode. so digitech wammy is your answer.
brian2730@aol.com Posted - 10/29/2002 : 4:51:33 PM
Thanks guys. I do have a DD-5 Delay pedal and am pretty proficient with and so i dunno if thats what he is using. I do know what you mean though Dirty Sloth and that is the effect i am thinking about. Ive heard him use it alot more in other songs live i guess but he does definetly use it on the live at chicago watchtower. so is that a whammy pedal? thanks.

P.S. Is there anyway i might not know of to change the pitch in with a DD-5? Like extreme pitch change like a radio frequency? I can only get minimal change.
CheersDtoT Posted - 10/29/2002 : 02:09:54 AM

I think I may know what your talking about . Take a dd-5 , set it to the reverse mode - turn the feedback all the way up so it goes to an infinite delay - then by turning the delay time ( d-time) up and down you can change octives and give it that low to high pitch sound...... try that maybe it's whats your looking for . ! Cheers !
dirtysloth Posted - 10/29/2002 : 01:28:50 AM
Digitech. That's all I know though so maybe you'd find some more info by doing a search since it's been talked about in other threads. Do you know what sound I'm talking about in Watchtower Brian? Is that what you had in mind?

And for the delay pedals... he does use those for pitch shifting a bunch, but definitely not the effect I'm talking aboot.
dick mountjoy Posted - 10/28/2002 : 11:00:10 PM
i'm almost positive he creates that sound using the dd-5 or more recently using the line-6
brian2730@aol.com Posted - 10/28/2002 : 10:10:59 PM
Thanks for the idea. Any idea what kind he might have? I dont see it on his electric setup anywhere. Anyone have any idea what Trey Anastasio might be doing as well? Same thing or different? Thanks
dirtysloth Posted - 10/28/2002 : 8:15:25 PM
Whammy pedal? That sound is in the Watchtower solo on Live In Chicago. It's a pedal that functions like a wah or volume pedal, but shifts the pitch.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000