Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 analog vs digi...single vs multi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ngetal Posted - 10/10/2002 : 08:12:11 AM
what do you dig more? analog or digital effects

and do you like a whole daisy chain of single effect boxes,or have a multi effects box?

in my opinion,analog boxes have more soul and more balls...but..i can make some of the funkyest sounds with my digital fx.
i own about a dozen single fx boxes,but ive had a multifx for awhile,i use the multi more for my electric. and the singles for acoutic and i like hooking them to my keyboard.
afew time i messed around with plugging in a adaptor with 2 out put,so 2 wires come from my guitar. one wire into the mlti into one amp. another wire into the single into another amp. it sounded odd odd odd!!! like 2 guitars playing the same thing,but the delay times weredifferent from eachother

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 10/12/2002 : 8:17:15 PM
I do have to warn you, however, that my soul is not exactly in mint condition. I've let friends borrow it (for special occassions or everyday stuff), and even one TIMe to a homeless man (but let's not go into that now). But, the soul is in excellent condition for the amount of miles put on it............also, there's a piece missing due to an........ahem...........incident.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Saint Jude Posted - 10/12/2002 : 1:25:45 PM
There is no catch, its just that great of a deal.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
pcbTIM Posted - 10/11/2002 : 03:24:59 AM
quote:

sure for a price..... first i want your soul to be mine for ever... second i want 15 minutes with you behind that tool shed, anything goes.

Wow! Is there a downside to this?........think....there's gotta be a catch......hmmmmmmm....nope! OK. It's a deal.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Saint Jude Posted - 10/11/2002 : 12:01:39 AM
quote:
good stuff jude!! but i dunno what the 2nd expression pedal is( not a george denis is it?)

no its a bespeco weeper. it functions as a volume and a wah. former singer of my former band left it at my house. so i took it. works pretty good, but if u have it at a certain angle when its functioning as a volume it gives a werid skweekey sound, but other then that works great.

i prefer amps, but the line 6 amps are just plain fun to play with at stores. only if i knew how to make it function properly, but still fun to mess w/.

ngetal Posted - 10/10/2002 : 9:39:38 PM
quote:

[img]http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=820258" width=720 height=480 >

that should answer your question.

good stuff jude!! but i dunno what the 2nd expression pedal is( not a george denis is it?)

i guess i should list off my toys too....

boss ME-30 ,digital multi,pretty good toy
my singles: boss flanger,danelectro phase and tremolo,DOD wah/volume( it sucks dont buy it) old ass ibanez digital delay(from the early 80s i belive) MXR dist01 and finaly for reverb i have this microphone effect instead of knobs it has slide controls,i put everything on high and i get great distortion :)
oh ive forgot.. boss loop pedaland the ebow.

for amps: a peavey bandit and paevey classic chorus both made in 80s,i love the more ballsy amps(not that im into 80s shredding crap like van halen) im not a fan of tube amps,just not my thing. and the amps with built in effects that ive tried are pretty weak sounding

what do you guys think of rack mount effects?

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''
dirtysloth Posted - 10/10/2002 : 7:09:45 PM
Hey Adam, I don't know how much of an amp you're looking for, but I have a Fender Blues Junior which I got new for $300(tweed too, but that was six years ago). It's got awesome tone, and it's a lot louder than you'd think for 30 watts.

As for the digital vs. analogue debate, there's pros and cons for each. Digital is exactly that, a signal that is 0 or 1. Analogue is 0 and 1 and everything between as well, and you're probably also dealing with a higher frequency range(records can record higher frequencies than CDs) so even though digital will capture all the frequencies a human ear can hear, analogue captures frequencies that we can't hear, but still interact with each other to produce an audible difference. This is WHY analogue sounds warmer. However, it is becoming more and more difficult to tell the difference, at least this is true when we're talking about dvd-audio/SACD, etc. Manipulation is a lot more convenient with digital effects too. You're not going to be able to click a button and instantly have a loop where you need it with an Echoplex, as opposed to the DL-4. So I say it depends on the effect you're going for and how it's going to fit in the song. One's not better than the other no matter how you look at it. There are sounds that you're going to get with that Echoplex that you'll never get with a DL-4, and vice versa.

And just to point out too, in the mic world, there are mics now by Neumann that have an ADC(analogue to digital converter) in them. A DIGITAL PREAMP! This means that you have NO NOISE when recording! So digital in this case has a HUGE advantage in that respect. Although thousands for a mic is way more than I'll be able to afford anytime soon.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/10/2002 : 6:14:03 PM
I agree with some analog stuff sounding far better than digital, more authenitic if that makes sense. But you can do tons of shit with digital pedals and other digital equipment (multitracks, amps, etc...)

Speaking of amps, I really prefer a nice tube amp over digital or solid state. I OWN a solid state amp, simply because I can't afford a good tube amp. Two guys where I work boast about their "all digital" Line 6 setups, and I'm thinking "Why would you brag about an all digital setup?" Because I personally would much rather have a kick ass tube amp and some classic analog pedals.

Seems like it is simply "hip" to have all digital amps, digital recorders (I still prefer the warmth of tape), and digital effects now a days, and if you have a tube amp and a multitrack tape recorder, youre too poor to upgrade to digital. If I had the cash, I'd be looking at tube amps, and higher end tape based multitracks and not paying one bit of attention to the digital stuff.

Tube amps have more balls, just like analog effects.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
Saint Jude Posted - 10/10/2002 : 4:47:03 PM
sure for a price..... first i want your soul to be mine for ever... second i want 15 minutes with you behind that tool shed, anything goes.

pcbTIM Posted - 10/10/2002 : 2:07:17 PM
Damn! Can I have one? Please, give to the needy. I have yet to purchase a petal of any kind.

Saint Jude Posted - 10/10/2002 : 12:11:10 PM

that should answer your question.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/10/2002 : 08:37:28 AM
I personally like digital because there is just so much you can do.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000