Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 slide help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
captain_napkins Posted - 10/05/2002 : 8:55:15 PM
Ok, I just bought a slide and a capo today. I'd say the capo work is self-explanatory, but I'm having a lot of trouble starting with the slide. I think i have it figured out mostly, but if anyone could find some cool riffs for me to start out with, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/10/2002 : 6:33:14 PM
Check out the new issue of Guitar One, the November issue with John Mayer, Joe Bonamassa, Derek Trucks, and Dominic Cifarelli on it. It's Orange.

Anyway, in the Noise and Feedback seciton, and guy wrote in with almost your EXACT dilemma. He's been playing for 9 years, and just got a slide. They go over the basics, and give about 6 licks to get started with.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
captain_napkins Posted - 10/09/2002 : 11:29:17 PM
*shudder*...open tunings...never had much luck with those. any alternate tuning other than drop d or double drop d has usually given me trouble. but i can definitely see how they'd help with slide guitar. thanks for all the help, and thanks for posting that link. hopefully i'll be able to do slide stuff in a while. At the moment, I'm happy to say that I just did the sound check for my first acoustic sound system, and it seems to be great. I'm doing an outdoor show with a friend of mine singing in november. it'll be a dave matthews set most of the way through. wish me luck!
Saint Jude Posted - 10/08/2002 : 4:11:33 PM
try different open tunings, those are good for slide.

Remember, turn off your tv. Read.
Jay Posted - 10/08/2002 : 3:36:17 PM
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1886

There...and it has some tips and stuff aboot one hell of a lapslide player...Kelly Joe Phelps.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
Jay Posted - 10/08/2002 : 3:33:02 PM
Leo Kottke often times palys without muting teh strings behind the slide...it sounds awesome ona 12 string...didn't we have a big long topic on this...I'll hafta find the link.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
rubylith Posted - 10/07/2002 : 6:12:12 PM
also muting strings by picking will decrease any string/metal noise. use your picking hand to mute too like by muffling.

-Dave
dirtysloth Posted - 10/05/2002 : 10:24:20 PM
No riffs, but I just want to point out a couple things in case you haven't figured them out yet. You should really try to play with the slide on your pinky even if it feels more natural on your ring finger. That gives you one more finger for fretting. And also try to rest the other fingers on the strings for a cleaner tone.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000