Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 mooger fooger

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gossip1986 Posted - 09/29/2002 : 7:03:24 PM
does anybody out there own a mooger fooger ring modulator as tim does...And if so..What does this pedal really do..If it contributes to tim's sound, im sure im going to pick it up at some point. But what does it do?

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/30/2002 : 6:10:09 PM
quote:

I've always thought that lyrics are kind of a cheap form of music (not really cheap, but easier I guess). They entertain in meaning and in their actual musical values. I've always liked any artist who could convey a feeling or an idea without using a single word. Again, my two cents.

I agree with you to a point. I'm always amazed when solo instrumental artists (usually Tim) can move me so much by simply just playing music, with no lyrics. But I also love music with lyrics that just blow my mind.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
JTR Posted - 09/30/2002 : 02:43:06 AM
I've always thought that lyrics are kind of a cheap form of music (not really cheap, but easier I guess). They entertain in meaning and in their actual musical values. I've always liked any artist who could convey a feeling or an idea without using a single word. Again, my two cents.
gossip1986 Posted - 09/29/2002 : 8:27:26 PM
Thanks alot guitarguy. For the description and advice to. My style has its own uniqueness to it as well. So i look to tim sometimes to add defintion to my style. As i dont sing, i feel the musicians who dont write lyrics have to have a certinaly unique style or divine talent to cover up the spots lyrics would normally fill in.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/29/2002 : 7:28:28 PM
By the way, here's a bit on what the Mooger Fooger Ring Mod Does...

The all-analog ring modulator rebuilds your sound into two separate tones and then uses an internal carrier oscillator to spread those tones apart in the frequency spectrum. The higher the carrier frequency, the more the new tones are separated. The effects can be anything from slow, velvet-smooth tremelo, to chains jangling in a Chinese gong to classic “outer space” sounds. The LFO (Low Frequency Oscillator) imparts trills, vibratos, siren effects.

That was the best description I could find. It comes from http://www.gear-closet.com/new/bigbriar/index.htm?source=overture Go to a search engine, like Yahoo, or Google, and type in "mooger fooger" or "mooger fooger ring modulator"

YOu get more matches with simply mooger fooger though. Some sites may even have sound samples you can listen to.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/29/2002 : 7:21:28 PM
quote:

If it contributes to tim's sound, im sure im going to pick it up at some point.

If you're in the market for a new guitar effect, my suggestion is go to your local music store, and try out pedals, until you find one you really like, regardless of what kind of pedal it is. Delay, distortion, chorus, pick a pedal you really like and buy it, it's all part of developing your own sound. Don't just buy a pedal because an artists you really like (Tim in this case) uses one. Especially since some artists, Tim included, play with gear that costs lke 400 bucks for one pedal.

In another thread : http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2397 we began discussing this, people on this board buying gear simply because Tim uses it. I brought up the point that buying gear that one of your favorite artists uses may be the beginning of crafting your own sound and style, so if that's really what you're going for by hunting for a mooger fooger, I say go for it. But if you're just looking to copy Tim's sound, I'd suggest trying to develop and improve your own sound.

Just my .02

Adam

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000