Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 DD-5 vs DL-4

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamie M Posted - 09/12/2002 : 6:32:49 PM
They look like so much fun, so I really wanna get an effect pedal. I've been thinking DD-5 because they're cheaper, but now I'm wondering if I should just go bigger.
So is there anything that the DD-5 does that the DL-4 doesn't?

26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jamie M Posted - 10/09/2002 : 6:22:16 PM
Wow, it gets MORE mellow? My guitar already had the most mellow sound of any in the store, that's why I picked it. I can't wait.
Congrats on the DL4 purchase, I'm so jealous.

jid1019 Posted - 10/08/2002 : 6:40:39 PM
By comparing the way my S6 sounds now (4yrs aged) to a brand new one at the guitar store, I can definately notice a difference. It makes sense though when you think about how the wood will age over time. I believe they (Seagull) talk about it in their construction article. It sounds a lot more mellow which for me is the sound that I like. By the way... I chipped in and bought a DL-4 last week... I love it already. My next investment will be an LR Baggs Paraacoustic DI.

Keep on jammin'.

- Isaac

Jamie M Posted - 10/03/2002 : 6:12:39 PM
quote:

Jamie,

Great choice with the Seagull... I've had an S6 Cedar (no gloss) since 98, and it sounds better and better with age. If you haven't done so already, check out their website and read their article about how they build them... it's fascinating (www.lasido.com). Thanks for posting the topic, I am actually mulling over which choice to make between the Line 6 and the Boss... hmmm

- Isaac

Hey, thanks alot for that link, I hadn't seen their website before. From what I can tell, I have a S6+ Cedar with high-gloss finish. But it seems to be a special edition(20th anniversary) model. The cedar top is a slightly darker colour and looks really nice. Plus there's no pickguard. I'm finding with it's fuller, sort of muffled sound that it's alot better when played with fingers as opposed to a pick.
So you can actually hear an improvement in your guitar over the years?

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/02/2002 : 10:17:22 PM
quote:

theres a new dd-6 out now which removes the tempo delay which no one ever used, added a "warp" function and stuff it looks cool

-Dave

I want to know what that warp thing does. The Tap Tempo (Which I use on a regular basis FYI) is onboard with the DD-6, meaning no additional footswitch is needed.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
jid1019 Posted - 10/02/2002 : 9:55:51 PM
Jamie,

Great choice with the Seagull... I've had an S6 Cedar (no gloss) since 98, and it sounds better and better with age. If you haven't done so already, check out their website and read their article about how they build them... it's fascinating (www.lasido.com). Thanks for posting the topic, I am actually mulling over which choice to make between the Line 6 and the Boss... hmmm

- Isaac

JTR Posted - 10/01/2002 : 1:33:03 PM
The tempo feature was just altered in how it is activated, it's still there.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2442
rubylith Posted - 10/01/2002 : 10:22:40 AM
theres a new dd-6 out now which removes the tempo delay which no one ever used, added a "warp" function and stuff it looks cool

-Dave
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/30/2002 : 6:18:36 PM
The clerks in my local music stores dont even know guitars models to look at them. There was a Martin D-42 hanging on a wall, I said, "Wow, is that a D-42, mind if I play it a bit?" and the guy had to take it down, look at the tag and say "Yep, D-42" then hand it to me. Same thing happened with the Takamine LTD-2000, or whatever year LTD it was. I said somethign about it being the LTD model for that year, and the ass had to take it down and check the tag to see if i was right. They also seriously know jack shit about effects. The guy that works in the combo department at the store im talking about, plays fucking saxophone. he's a cool guy, I really like talking to him about music and shit, but he plays fucking saxophone and he's trying to sell me a fucking guitar. That's screwed up.

Idiots.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

pcbTIM Posted - 09/30/2002 : 01:52:35 AM
Yeah......those store clecks always act so high and mighty. It pisses me off. People should not have to feel stupid for asking a question about guitars in a guitar store.

"Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor's a lot like a woman: you just have to read the manual and push the right button." - Homer
Silky The Pimp Posted - 09/30/2002 : 12:52:19 AM
quote:
why must everyone get what tim has? the key is to be unique. try a pitch shifter delay,or even a delay made by somethng other than boss. or try using no delay,try to find your own special sounds

Reasons people want the pedals TR uses:

1) You already know how they sound/what they do.
b) TR using them is like an unspoken recommendation from the mouth of TR himself..
5) If someone like TR is using it, it's probably not shit.
a) If you know nothing about pedals and you choose to just run through a music store on your own, hellbent on finding your own 'unique' sound (by using mass produced products sold to countless thousands of other musicians seeking their own 'unique' sound), you either have to try and learn how to use a bunch of different pedals on the fly, likely missing half the features and not hearing the true potential... OR... you can put yourself at the discretion of the seemingly endless knowledge of the masterful store clerks that just seem to know everything there is to know about everything in the goddamn universe.

Of course that's just my opinion... I could be wrong.

Jamie M Posted - 09/29/2002 : 11:41:55 PM
quote:

why must everyone get what tim has? the key is to be unique. try a pitch shifter delay,or even a delay made by somethng other than boss. or try using no delay,try to find your own special sounds

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''

I'd like to say that the whole reason I started playing guitar is due 50% to Dave Matthews and 50% to Tim Reynolds. Since I can't sing and have no interest in writing lyrics and all that, I have chosen to follow Tim as a sort of 'guide' to learn guitar. Discovering what he does with music has basically been my inspiration to keep playing guitar, and hoping that one day I could do some of the same stuff. Honestly, I've wanted a DD-5 since the moment I heard that was what Tim used on the L@LC Ants Marching.
If I was to get one, obviously I would play some of the stuff Tim plays, just to get into it, get a feel for what it can do. That would be what I've wanted for years. But eventually I'd learn other stuff and make my own cool stuff and have fun.
But think for a minute. If I'm going to go out and get an effect pedal...knowing virtually nothing other than what I've seen on this board, what else am I gonna get? It just makes sense to buy something I know is gonna be alot of fun and that can make alot of cool sounds.

And the fact is, I hadn't even payed any attention to the DL-4 until I heard Howie Day uses one, so I don't wanna just get it because Tim has it.

Sorry for that meaningless rant, just trying to back up my position.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/27/2002 : 3:12:39 PM
quote:

That's a good point. But I also believe that being inspired by an artist includes the effects they use. Take the whammy pedal for instance, I've heard different guitar players approach using the Whammy TONS of different ways, not just one way all the time.

Buying a DL4 and DD5, and doing exactly what Tim does with it is one thing, but buying those pedals, then creating your own sounds with them is another.

For instance, when I play solo gigs playing guitar and singing, for solos I use the 14 second delay to loop a chord progression or whatever the rhythm guitar part may be, then solo over it. Actually lately, I've been playing more "stripped down" than I ever have, just singing and playing, using MAYBE reverb on some vocals and not much else.

Adam

ngetal Posted - 09/27/2002 : 08:58:57 AM

ring modulators go ''zing zang zow''
Jamie M Posted - 09/27/2002 : 12:11:39 AM
Sounds like mine, except I'm pretty sure mine has a cedar top...don't pay much attention to that stuff. All I know is it's so shiny I can see my reflection in it, I love it.
They really do have great sound, it was probably my favourte guitar in the store(only slightly because of price). I'm finding it's a much better guitar for chords and strumming...some picking stuff just doesn't sound right, but I probably just have to change my style a bit and adjust to it.

zshum Posted - 09/22/2002 : 10:19:39 PM
I also picked up a Seagull. M6 + spruce...mahogany sides and back with a solid spruce top. Seagulls are really nice guitars. Sweet mellow tone that rivals those of Martins and Gibsons. Yes they do have them in the states, but there are a little hard to find. I live in Southern California, and I was able to find a store that carried them. Great guitars.

Jamie M Posted - 09/18/2002 : 4:00:23 PM
A Seagull, acoustic. They're a Canadian guitar, made by Godin, I'm not sure if they have them in the States. It's got a really amazing sound. $500
Funny story, actually...Went up to the store to buy some strings, came home with a guitar and totally forgot about the strings!

Silky The Pimp Posted - 09/17/2002 : 10:39:49 PM
What'd you get Jamie?

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/17/2002 : 10:38:58 PM
quote:

Damn money...

Or lack thereof.

Adam

Jamie M Posted - 09/17/2002 : 6:43:35 PM
Damn money...

Just thought I'd add that I bought my second guitar yesterday. Now I can start working on those pedals...

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/16/2002 : 11:17:06 PM
I hear that. I need a PA system, and a few other choice expensive items...and my car just starting making odd noises, and i need new shocks....

I love life sometimes.

Adam

Jamie M Posted - 09/15/2002 : 9:36:57 PM
Heh, well I'm still working on buying a second guitar, so 2 pedals is completely out of range for me right now.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/14/2002 : 6:01:32 PM
Do like many of us here, buy both the DD5 and the DL4, you wont be sorry trust me. The combination of the 2 is killer.

Adam

JemezFoodPeople Posted - 09/13/2002 : 7:37:26 PM
The DL-4 is a great tool. It has a lot of other features besides the loop station thing. The sweep echo is a really powerful device to change up your sound. I also use the reverse effect. If you set the delay time on reverse to very low and the repeats to reasonably high, you can get a reverse-and-forwards at the same time- it soudns liek a tuned percussion instrument. it is so great. that's my bit. still learning.

(no time for lyrics)
Jamie M Posted - 09/12/2002 : 8:46:56 PM
Thanks alot for the info. I was under the impression that there was some special feature in the DD-5 or something. But as long as I get everything(basically) in the DL-4, then it seems to make the most sense to go for that. Because I can just see myself a month after buying the DD-5 praying for a couple extra seconds. And one thing I'd really like to do is be able to play a couple chords and just solo.
Well, it looks like I've made up my mind, thanks again.

dirtysloth Posted - 09/12/2002 : 7:34:11 PM
You can raise/lower by an octave with the DL-4. However, you cannot hit all the notes between like you can with the DD-5.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 09/12/2002 : 6:40:35 PM
I don't think you can do the octave change thing with the DL-4. Other than that, the DL-4 pretty much does everything the DD-5 does, except it does a little more. If you are big on looping capabilities, keep in mind (and I'm sure you already know this) that the DL-4 can loop/hold 14 seconds vs. the DD-5's 2... so that's a pretty substantial difference. Other than that, they're pretty comperable. I'd say if looping isn't that important to you, I'd grab the Boss and spend the extra benjamin on another pedal. You can never have too many pedals.
-J

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000