Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 HELP on TR Pedals !

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CheersDtoT Posted - 08/24/2002 : 11:06:56 PM

Yeah ...... see I was wondering if anyone knows how
TR get those riffs he plays to repeat over and over again and is able to play over the repeated sound ?? It doesn't say on his web page ! Since I just figured out Peter Gabriel Solo I wanted to go in and buy some stuff ...... but first I need to know how TR does it ? Thanks ....... CHEERS !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
38   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 09/09/2002 : 4:00:02 PM
That sounds good! Or even better, have two cameras shooting, so we can see him play and use the pedals.

"Always follow your heart, but use your brain." - My dad
dirtysloth Posted - 09/09/2002 : 3:57:55 PM
Sure thing. I probably made it way more complicated than it is in my posts anyway. It's always easier to show it than to talk about it. Ya know, next time I see Tim maybe I'll just point the camera at the pedals the whole show...

pcbTIM Posted - 09/08/2002 : 10:02:42 PM
Oh....OK.......just wondering. Thanks.

dirtysloth Posted - 09/08/2002 : 9:42:26 PM
I was just using that as an example to illustrate a whole step. If you start with delay time all the way right in reverse mode, and then turn it all the way left, you're taking it up one octave... either way it's an octave....

pcbTIM Posted - 09/08/2002 : 8:34:07 PM
Wait a minute.......I'm confused.......you're saying that it can drop down one octave, but you said that it goes from C to D or E to F#........but isn't that going up an octave?

dirtysloth Posted - 09/08/2002 : 8:22:21 PM
You're right. I used the wrong word. That is defintely a quartertone, not a half step, that I'm talking about there.

In case Dave and I are confusing anyone... a whole step is a Maj 2nd... such as C to D or E to F#... half steps are min 2nds, like C to C# or E to F... quartertones fall between halfsteps... and we haven't talked about them, but microtones fall between the quartertones

Dave S Posted - 09/08/2002 : 7:54:41 PM
oops silly me, I wonder why I thought it was 2 octaves, it's plainly 1 octave if you listen to it.

But yet, I will have to disagree with you on one point of your explanation. The difference in pitch between A and Bb is a half step, which would make the pitch derived from adjusting the knob from the middle position to either side a quarter-step off from either A or Bb, not a half tone as you stated.

All TIM all the TIMe!
dirtysloth Posted - 09/07/2002 : 3:04:43 PM
Yeah, definitely not backwards. That wouldn't work on the DD-5 anyway because it doesn't just play backwards - it plays forwards then backwards. But I see you have one now Cheers so you've probably already figured that out. It would "work" on the DL-4 in that it would be those notes, but you would still definitely be able to tell it was reverse.

I'm going to have to disagree with you Dave S, in that it only really drops one octave. One way to test this, besides just listening, is to set the delay time right in the middle, to one second. If you play an E and then turn it all the way to the right, it will sound somewhere between an A and a Bb, not the E below it. Think of it this way... there are 11 pitches between E and E. 5.5 is half of 11 and if you bend the fifth fret on the e string just halfway to the sixth, it will be that halftone between A and Bb. That's not to say though that you can't drop it an octave and loop that into the DL-4, or another DD-5 for that matter, and then drop that another octave making it two octaves lower.

Dave S Posted - 09/05/2002 : 7:48:42 PM
That depends on how important your violen sounds are to you, i guess. But a simpler way to only hear the signal going into your amp might be to wear some headphones plugged into the amp. I do that sometimes, seems to work ok.

All TIM all the TIMe!
JTR Posted - 09/05/2002 : 4:59:24 PM
Hey, speaking of pedals and shit, does anyone here think it would be worth the money to buy a soundhole plug so that when I practice the "violin" swells I can't hear the actual sound coming from the guitar?
pcbTIM Posted - 09/04/2002 : 12:48:02 AM
Well........I'm not sure how he does it, but he definitely doesn't repeat it backwards.

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
CheersDtoT Posted - 09/04/2002 : 12:44:39 AM

So lets say TR is going to play .... Entity ... he will just play that main riff backwards on mode 6 with the feedback all the way up to get the infinite delay ? Or does he use some other mode on the dd-5 play his riff and then loop it with the DL4 ? Cheers !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Dave S Posted - 09/02/2002 : 5:22:40 PM
Backwards mode actually can raise/lower the pitch up to 2 octaves. That is, if you loop something with the delay time at its highest setting, and then turn the knob all the way to the right, the pitch will drop 2 octaves and be 4 times as slow.

All TIM all the TIMe!
dirtysloth Posted - 09/01/2002 : 8:02:18 PM
It's mode 6. It's not entirely reverse... it'll play whatever you play and then play it reverse. By messing with the delay time you can change the pitch. Turn Feedback all the way up for the infinite repeats, then take delay time from the shortest to longest or vice versa and it'll change one octave.

pcbTIM Posted - 09/01/2002 : 7:36:04 PM
I think the backwards mode is exactly what the name is. It plays whatever you played, backwards. And I think the infinite part is just that it repeats over and over without fading out. I could be wrong (since I don't own one), but that's what the advertisement said about the dd-5 in the guitar mag I read.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
CheersDtoT Posted - 09/01/2002 : 7:03:25 PM

Yeah ... I have one more question . I was playing around with a dd-5 the other day , and you know how theirs a backwards mode that plays infinite ..... well where the hell is this backward mode ..... because I was looking at the pedal and I had no clue what the backward mode was or what it is ...... so does anyone know what the backward mode is ? Cheers !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 08/26/2002 : 11:56:45 PM
What he means by infinite is that it doesn't bleed off. Most delay, you play one note, it repeats a few times and bleeds off. With the DD-5, you can turn the Feedback Knob all the way clockwise, and the effect will not bleed off. That is what he means by it goes infinite. YOu can play something it backwards mode, or modes 1-4, and with the knob all the way at Max for F.Back, it won't bleed off.

It DOES bleed off, but it takes a while. And the more you play, the more the stuff you've already played bleeds off. But if you just play one thing, it will repeat for a long, long time. But backwards mode is not the same as Hold, so anything you play OVER the backwards stuff, is also repeated backwards. Hence using the DD-5 to create a sweet backwards loop, then looping that with another pedal (a second DD5 or the DL4).

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
CheersDtoT Posted - 08/26/2002 : 11:42:33 PM

Thanks for the answers .... I think I'n going to buy one of those gagets that loops for 5 min. thats seems better . But I still don't get what Tim says . Tim said on the DD-5 their is a backward mode that plays infinite . Now if it plays infinite that would be it wouldn't stop ???? I'm serioulsy over this whole thing ...... now I don't know I'll just go cry .. or some thing ????? Thanks again ! CHEERS

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
JTR Posted - 08/26/2002 : 10:47:54 PM
I got a DD5 live 5 weeks ago, and I'll say that 2 seconds may sound like nothing, but it's very versital for the most part. Like the background riff for Mercy Street is easily stored into 2 seconds. Infact its fun, so fun I may just do it now.
pcbTIM Posted - 08/26/2002 : 7:33:29 PM
Yeah.......my friend has a guitar magazine and I was flipping through it and I figured out that the dd-5 can only to short loops.......but Boss also makes a Boss RC-20 Loop Station.....which has a total of 5 1/2 minutes recording TIMe. Here's a pic......

Site where it came from........http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/RC20/boss-rc20.html

Dave S Posted - 08/26/2002 : 5:20:36 PM
At one TIMe, TIM was using two DD-5's. That could explain how he takes a loop from one DD-5 that he built using mode 4 and then plays over it...he simply samples the loop built in mode 4 on the first DD-5 into the second DD-5 using mode 5. and voila a complex (but only 2-second) loop that TIM can play over.

All TIM all the TIMe!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 08/26/2002 : 5:01:33 PM
Take a 14 second loop, repeat it 25.71 times, and you've got your 6 minute loop.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

dirtysloth Posted - 08/25/2002 : 11:52:41 PM
Those aren't six minute loops. They're 14 seconds or less. I know what you're talking about. I've seen him play that song. Did you read my post above? It's the Line 6 DL-4 he uses for the long delays and then plays over them.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 08/25/2002 : 8:54:36 PM
Honestly, I think that setup page is a bit outdated....

Adam

Arthen Posted - 08/25/2002 : 7:04:21 PM
Aliens in a invisible hovering UFO capture the sound and play it over and over... Catch an alien, and you have your six minute loop.

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
pcbTIM Posted - 08/25/2002 : 4:57:44 PM
C'mon! Someone with this knowledge answer!

CheersDtoT Posted - 08/25/2002 : 4:55:40 PM

See thats what I would think ...... but on the page Fluffy says it 100% correct ???? So who knows ............ because none of those gagets you listed are on the page ???? WE need Fluffy , or I wonder if Silky would know ???? Cheers

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 08/25/2002 : 4:41:56 PM
I'm not really up on all Tim's new gadgets, but I know that there are pedals out there now like the Boss RC-20 Loop Station and the Boomerang Loop that can loop up to 4 or 5 minutes of stuff. Maybe he has acquired one of these, or something similar.

Adam

pcbTIM Posted - 08/25/2002 : 4:15:49 PM
I would like to know as well.......

CheersDtoT Posted - 08/25/2002 : 4:06:57 PM

Well I looked on the page to see if their was any info. maybe I missed .... and I saw that under the DD-5 TR says that theirs a backward mode that plays infinite ..... and delays that play infinite ......... but if it only has a 2 sec. delay ???? Yeah I'm just all confused !!! Does anyone know TR and maybe I could talk to him about all this stuff ????? Maybe Fluffy could hook me up ! Because I am so in the dark , and wandering blind , no stars to moon to guide me ..... just darkness and me wondering ! Yeah ........... CHEERS !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
CheersDtoT Posted - 08/25/2002 : 3:48:00 PM

So how does Tim get those like 6 min. loops ???? Like in the song Peter Gabriel Solo ? Because I thought the DD-5 could only do short loops ..... like just delays ! So how would I play an entire song of loops and then play over it ????? I know I kind of just cluster fucked that question ..... but this whole way of TR playing songs is totaly new to me ..... well kind of .... I just don't get how he does it ! Because I have played around on a DD-5 and I don't think I can play a whole song on that and play over it ! Like Peter Gabriel Solo is like 6 min. long ????? So how would I get to play a loop for 6 min ???? I know I must be very confusing ! Thanks for your help ! Cheers !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
pcbTIM Posted - 08/25/2002 : 3:22:07 PM
I simply put "boss dd5 digital delay" into yahoo.......here are some of them

http://www.musiciansnews.com/guitars/67/dd5_digital_delay_effects_pedal.shtml

http://www.themagicflute.com/pgi-ProductSpec?DD5,11

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DD5.htm

dirtysloth Posted - 08/25/2002 : 11:22:10 AM
Tim also uses a Line 6 DL-4 for the longer loops. The DD-5 can store up to 2 seconds, and the DL-4 can store up to 14 seconds. Also, you can make your loop play half or double speed and backwards with the DL-4. You can also keep adding to your loop whenever you want and still play on top of it without recording. You can't do this with the loop mode on the DD-5. I use both a bunch, as does Tim. The DL-4 for looping, and the DD-5 for a short delay. A DL-4, new, will go for about $250.

http://www.marsmusic.com/store/process_search_results.jhtml jsessionid=COK0ZLAJ4ZCOGCQDBZACFEY?departmentId=&searchInput=line 6 dl-4

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 08/25/2002 : 06:22:14 AM
Just be wary about buying a used pedal like that, especially online, from a site like Ebay or something. People will send you shit that doesn't work or that they've treated like shit, etc... I bought a used Boss DD-3 4 or 5 years ago from Music Go Round, and it quit working after like a week. And their guarantee on used shit is 3 days...how convenient.

Adam

Arthen Posted - 08/25/2002 : 12:54:47 AM
Sweet! What site were you looking at PCBDMB?

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
pcbTIM Posted - 08/24/2002 : 11:33:24 PM
Nevermind.......I went searching on the internet and found that it's about $170........not bad at all! In fact, they range from like $120 to $200 for the exact same thing.

pcbTIM Posted - 08/24/2002 : 11:17:08 PM
And how much would one cost?

willyc4744 Posted - 08/24/2002 : 11:11:05 PM
Tim uses his boss dd-5 digital delay to get the sound to repeat over and over again then he can play over the top of what it repeats

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000