Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Guitar solo sound from DMB: Live from Chicago

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sonny Posted - 07/10/2002 : 6:36:28 PM
i have a MPEG video on Tim sitting in with DMB in Chicago of 1998. They also put out an official release of this show. I was watching the video, and i was amazed at the sound that Tim gets when he solos. For example, All Along the Watchtower. How does he getting that "spacy, sustainy" sound? it rules!!!!!!!

thanx
sonny
sonny@treefrogband.com

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 08/22/2002 : 07:21:23 AM
There is a Live In Chicago TAB book coming out sometime soon. I saw it in a guitar mag. But, it will probably be like the Luther book, a small selection of songs we all already know how to play....and probably none of the songs with awesome Tim solos.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
NeverKillADream Posted - 08/19/2002 : 11:54:36 PM
Thats the thing about the board, if someone doesnt know, someone else does. always.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Jay Posted - 08/19/2002 : 12:44:59 PM
everything is a help, no matter what!

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 08/19/2002 : 12:16:15 AM
A little distortion and some reverb. The tone also depends on what kind of rig tim plays through at that show.

Also, ive notice on those live recordings of him playing, depending on exactly how they are recording his solos, the reverb could be natural, from the venue or whatever. I mean, if youre playing a guitar solo in a large venue, its going to reverberate on its own somewhat. But I imagine tim uses some kind of reverb, perhaps reverb on his amp even.

This was probably no help, but it's my assumption anyway.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

pcbTIM Posted - 08/14/2002 : 02:36:15 AM
Careful tr56, looks like MBS has taken a likin' to ya.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
tr56 Posted - 08/13/2002 : 7:03:00 PM
Hey I guess you're right about this topic being almsot a month old, I didn't check the date or anything. I just found this website like a week or so back. But If you know anyone who knows tim's full set-up in The live in Chicago concert they did in 98' please right a response back or instant message me on my aim screen name. And if you have any tablature of tim reynolds in the chicago concert than please e-mail me at mccurdy42W@aol.com. I'm very curious to know, so if you know anything try to write me back somehow(e-mail, instant message, or post a replay). Thanx
Steve-0

Steve-0
My_Bad_Side Posted - 08/13/2002 : 12:03:00 AM
Steve-O, color me impressed. You're new here, yet you went back a month (almost) and found a pertinent topic... most people just post a new one. And gggrrrrrr I just love it when they do that...

So consider this a warm welcome. I can't help you with the setup or anything like that, because I'm doing good just to play a little, but maybe someone can. Sorry, but welcome.

I'm schizophrenic. And so am I. am I. am I. am I.
tr56 Posted - 08/12/2002 : 11:45:31 PM
Ok, it's obvious the video (Live in Chicago) was never released because you aren't able to buy it and the concert happened about 4 years ago. It was broadcasted on the internet and I have all 3 parts of It, and it's definitely the best concert they have done so far that I've heard. I own the CD and I want to know if anyone knows his (Tim Reynolds) complete set up from that show, like the cool little ending he does in The Last Stop, is like probably digital delay or something. But I wanna know if anyone knows what kind of distortion he uses in too much, and what pedals he uses for the solo's in lie in our graves, jimi thing, and all along the watchtower, and he uses a cool wah pedal. If anyone knows his complete set up please return this message.

Steve-0
sonny Posted - 07/16/2002 : 2:47:58 PM
maybe i should try to explain myself a little better.... first off, no, the video was never officially released. I have a vcd of the concert, so i can watch it on my computer.... the CD has been officially released. It's called Dave Matthews Band : Live in Chicago. I believe the date on that concert is 12.18.98.

What i am refering to is the "long, spacy, sustainy" sound that Tim gets in his solos (particularly All Along the Watchtower). It's just a great sound for solos. I am the lead guitar player in a band and I am looking for a good solo sound, which I am finding very difficult to acheive. I just love that sound that Tim gets during that show (and others).

I do have the DD-5. I am not sure that that pedal is used to the "sustained" sound.....maybe i am wrong. What settings would you use?

Thanx for your help!!!!

sonny

dirtysloth Posted - 07/16/2002 : 11:52:44 AM
The show wasn't officially released on video, but was professionally recorded and I think it was broadcast over the internet. Whatever, it's floating around and it's probably about the best video bootleg there is of dmb, except it really doesn't show all that much of Tim. Too bad, those shiny pants and black fingernails were a nice touch. The video clips that used to be on the ftp came from that show.

Sonny, if you're talking about a particular part of the song, then I think I know what part you're talking about, and what I'm thinking of is just the Boss DD-5. All those things you mentioned, Adam, are all over that album, but I'm pretty sure he just used the whammy and DD-5 on Watchtower.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 07/10/2002 : 11:52:30 PM
I'd have to get the CD or download a certain song to listen to exactly what parts youre talking about, but I think he was using the combo of the boss DD5, whammy pedal, ring modulator and the tube rotosphere, as well as the morley volume/wah. Perhaps jon or fluffy could shed more light on what tim's setup was during that time period, but I think that's close. So, it's probably a combination of any of those things. But if it's sustained, or repeated notes your talking about, its probably the dd5 delay. Otherwise, like I said, if you want to pinpoint times in the song from the CD, I may be of more help.

This show was officially released on video?

Adam

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000