Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 John Mayer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CheersDtoT Posted - 07/08/2002 : 06:37:08 AM

Has anyone listened to John Mayer , he's a really good guitar player . He has some really good rifs ! Has anyone heard his song neon , damn thats my new fav. song to play . Their is a tab site that has really acurate tabs ! Well just seeing whats going on ! Cheers

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
100   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arthen Posted - 06/07/2003 : 5:19:45 PM
I can't let this die just because of this:

quote:
Originally posted by etrain182:

john mayer is the best guitarist of our time

Can't agree with that. It's Tim Reynolds all the way.

And I'd love to see a new album from Tim. With some of the tones he created in "Stream" which is still my favorite album.
CheersDtoT Posted - 06/06/2003 : 11:37:45 PM

Yeah... i know that this belongs in Nancies..... when i started this it was just a little chat between a few people and myself ..... but now the "son of a" has gone world wide.... for the people that responded in the begining ..... who was that person that got really pissed and went off on all of us .... I wonder what happened to him ???? But as for MAyer ..... i used to like him .... but I'm glad that my interest in his music faded (fast)... I just want to know when TR comes out with another aco. Album ..... I have all of his albums (the ones i could find) ... includeing his Electirc Stuff (FREAKY) .... But i think another Nomadic Wavelength/ See Into Your Soul should come out SOON.. Thats it for me ! Cheers
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/02/2003 : 3:06:24 PM
which thread was that?
thomasode Posted - 06/02/2003 : 2:58:30 PM
Agreed, almost as dumb as my thread over at nancies, eh Matt?
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/01/2003 : 9:18:16 PM
this is a silly thread, it belongs at nancies...
etrain182 Posted - 06/01/2003 : 8:22:37 PM
you cant really compare dave and john mayer. mayer started out solo, then gradually became big enough to have his band, whereas dave needs his band, and he sucks without them. the only reason live at luther was even worth buying is because of tim reynold's stream. john mayer is the best guitarist of our time, and dave may have paved the way, but hes slowly going to drop off. and howie days vocals are ten times better than daves on #41 so my apologies to all of you jealous dave fans.
centurybrother Posted - 05/21/2003 : 6:37:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CheersDtoT

Has anyone listened to John Mayer , he's a really good guitar player . He has some really good rifs ! Has anyone heard his song neon , damn thats my new fav. song to play . Their is a tab site that has really acurate tabs ! Well just seeing whats going on ! Cheers

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !

Neon is awesome...I did a cover of that awhile back...me and some other guys did it for my schools talent show...here is a link to a quick mp3 I did...the vocals suck, but I busted out the new 2003 Taylor 814ce for the guitar...

www.cadenzaspell.com/neon.mp3
Arthen Posted - 05/20/2003 : 3:04:00 PM
Yeah. Consider yourself very lucky. Ignorance is bliss has never rang truer.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/20/2003 : 10:54:22 AM
The point is that the link is removed. You should be very happy.
CPPJames Posted - 05/20/2003 : 10:29:22 AM
I think I missed something here, heh. What's the link?!
Arthen Posted - 05/20/2003 : 04:24:20 AM
Apology accepted with reluctance.
Arthen Posted - 05/19/2003 : 2:35:12 PM
NOT WORK SAFE?!!?!

Not anytime safe. I have a strong urge to gouge out my eyes right now. No one click the link! DON'T CLICK THE LINK.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/19/2003 : 2:21:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by therippa

Yeah, try checking out ...

Ahh nevermind, it just reminded me of Mayer.

Sorry for the burnt eyes

therippa, that link is very bad.

I won't tell you that you should be ashamed, but if I had posted that, I would be.

The link is <<NOT WORK SAFE>>.
therippa Posted - 05/19/2003 : 1:53:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Welcome to the board. For John Mayer stuff, I'd have to suggest looking on the internet for John Mayer fan sites.

Yeah, try checking out ...

Ahh nevermind, it just reminded me of Mayer.

Sorry for the burnt eyes
Arthen Posted - 05/19/2003 : 1:43:14 PM
Welcome to the board. For John Mayer stuff, I'd have to suggest looking on the internet for John Mayer fan sites.
satellite1182 Posted - 05/19/2003 : 08:34:24 AM
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums, and I'm just trying to get a little information from anyone who can offer it. As much as I absolutely love Dave & Tim to death, I can't shake my interest in John's technique, especially on "Neon". If anyone can give me any pointers about anything regarding this technique, then please either post on here, or just email me at d_m_bguy01@hotmail.com. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~Tommy~
victorwootenfan Posted - 04/29/2003 : 3:50:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tim~and~dave

on and on

new album

it has neon on it, whatever that is...
Arthen Posted - 04/29/2003 : 2:15:18 PM
John Mayer is a pretty good guitarist. A lot better than most of the other artists on the radio. However, he uses it for evil! All he does is make cheesy little pop songs.

tim~and~dave Posted - 04/29/2003 : 12:54:30 PM
on and on

new album
victorwootenfan Posted - 04/29/2003 : 11:36:24 AM
I burned John Mayer's album(the name esscapes me), and i like some songs on there, but nothing really special, nothing too crappy, just an average new album, with a few neat things thrown in here and there. i like john mayer, but i'm one of the few...
threedaysdwn Posted - 04/28/2003 : 11:03:07 PM
I think Rolling Stone (which I generally dislike) said it well...

"John Mayer's 'Your Body is a Wonderland' is good, but it was better when it was called 'Crash Into Me' and performed by the Dave Matthews Band"

Admittedly, I've heard little of his music, and that's something I plan to fix. But whole-heartedly agree with RS about that particular song. I also find it odd that he plays a Dave Matthews signature guitar (Martin DM3DM).
I did see him perform solo on one of the Late Night shows (think it was Letterman) and his voice and the music were uninteresting.

But I know too few of his works to actually comment on his ability or talent.
victorwootenfan Posted - 04/07/2003 : 12:10:50 PM
who put the bop in the bop shu bop shu bop?
CheersDtoT Posted - 04/06/2003 : 10:45:15 PM

I can't beleive that this got so big .... I never thought that this post would get so big !!!!! Thanks to everyone that replied !!!
Cheers
Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/06/2003 : 6:13:14 PM
Don't mind me... just whoring through.
CheersDtoT Posted - 04/05/2003 : 12:53:50 PM

I just wrote back so that the post would have 100 write backs !!
Cheers !!
joojoo Posted - 04/03/2003 : 2:20:15 PM
Sure Have Arthen... and others are too.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag125/feature125.html

not a long article, actually a feature on one of these guys, but also makes the nod that you've pointed out.
Arthen Posted - 04/03/2003 : 12:41:00 PM
Yeah Miss Sorrel, I bought the Jason Mraz CD, and he just played at my school, although I didn't go.

I haven't decided if I like the CD yet. There's a couple of really interesting songs with some great muscianship, mainly the other musicians, like one guy plays the banjo and John Alagia plays the Hammond B-3. It's too much like Mayer and all the other artists that are coming out right now.

But overall I'd suggest downloading a few songs don't buy the whole album.

Anyone else notice this wave of "singer/song writers"?
climbn2x2 Posted - 04/03/2003 : 11:14:58 AM
wow - i cant believe i read all those posts....not a big fan of Mayer anymore (really liked Inside wants Out with the killer Neon, but not Room For Squares, its way too overproduced and bubble gum poppy sounding). but if hes making music that makes him happy, more power to him. his cover of lover lay down is actually really good. Howie Day is actually a really big influence on me, i love how he loops, and hes a great singer. however, his guitar work is pretty basic and wouldnt interest most of the people on this board. somebody also mentioned Jason Mraz; i think hes pretty good and writes some interesting lyrics that make you want to dance and sing along.
i'd have to say my big influences are Mayer, Tim and Dave on guitar, Howie for the Looping and vocal style, and Mraz and Dave for lyrics...if that makes any sense......
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/06/2003 : 9:39:16 PM
I have yet to hear Mayer do anything that is what I would call "good stuff". I still think he had such potential as a guitarist...and he's way to mainstream and poppy now. It's so sad.

Adam
CPPJames Posted - 03/04/2003 : 4:40:58 PM
Hmm...I'll have to grab it.
JTR Posted - 03/04/2003 : 4:25:45 PM
Yeah, Mayer did it, and I hate him, even though it's an excellent way to cover the song.
CPPJames Posted - 03/04/2003 : 3:19:05 PM
Who covered LLD? John Mayer?
JTR Posted - 03/04/2003 : 1:58:53 PM
I just heard his cover of Lover Lay Down, expecting him to butcher it, and damned if he didn't do something pretty sweet. It's an all instrumental version, he plays the rythm on the low E and A and plays the 'vocal' portion with everything else. Damned, I hate him, but it's good stuff.
CheersDtoT Posted - 03/02/2003 : 7:56:03 PM

Welcome to the Message Board. I'm glad you responded to my post.
tim111262 Posted - 03/01/2003 : 10:16:44 PM
hey everyone
im new to this site..i found out about it on the back of the "live at lc" book
but anyways
i like john mayer. i respect musicians who are verry skillfull(if you have ever heard neon ud know what im talking about)
he does resemble dave, but i believe he puts his own twist on it.
theres nothing wrong with that.
well ill be replying again sometime soon!
tks for listening.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 02/02/2003 : 10:47:39 PM
I saw the CD at Best Buy the other night. But have not heard any of him as of yet.

The funny thing is....I went to school with a guy named Jason Mraz. He was a preppy jockish prick though (only the opinion of myself and most people I know/knew in high school)...and not into music from what I remember. So theres no way its the same one.

Adam
Miss Sorrel Posted - 01/31/2003 : 11:09:01 PM
Any Jason Mraz fans? good sound, fun lyrics, and great to play and sing... If you like Howie Day, or John Mayer you'll dig him.
Jamie M Posted - 01/31/2003 : 6:20:16 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.. I heard it once, and the only song that really jumped out at me was Please Forgive Me, and I love that one. I'll be sure to listen again though.
CPPJames Posted - 01/27/2003 : 7:14:45 PM
This album is a slight derivation from his older stuff. I like it, but I prefer White Ladder. From you saying you like the Other Side, I bet you'd really like White Ladder.
Jamie M Posted - 01/27/2003 : 4:51:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

I really like The Other Side's piano part, as well as the whole song.

The song Dead In The Water from A New Day At Midnight just kicks my ass every time I hear it!!

I picked up the CD last week, totally taking a chance, I don't have any of his other CDs. I've listened a few times, and I'm not sure about him yet. Some of the songs I really like. The Other Side is fantastic, I can't get enough of it, and Knowhere is great as well. But some of the stuff is just not my thing, so I'm not sure what to think. I guess I'll just keep listening.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/23/2003 : 5:02:59 PM
I really like The Other Side's piano part, as well as the whole song.

The song Dead In The Water from A New Day At Midnight just kicks my ass every time I hear it!!

Adam
CPPJames Posted - 01/23/2003 : 12:09:16 AM
I'm with you as far as the piano goes. My favorite piano song is This Year's Love. I really like Late Night Radio as far as the guitar stuff goes. I hear you about the tunings and capo placement. He's the capo king in my mind.

Peace,
James
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/22/2003 : 10:10:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CPPJames

Speaking of David Gray, I really like him. Not the most impressive musician of all time, but I think his songs are really solid and he hasn't become mainstream enough for me to blow him off yet =).

James

David is a very impressive musician to me. A good guitar player (who uses some really funky alternate tunings and partial capo placements) and a kickass piano player. He also programs all the electronics on his albums White Ladder and A New Day At Midnight (with the help of engineers and such of course), but I'm sure a lot of the stuff done on the Roland Groove Box was David's own programming. It's really interesting how he melds an otherwise acoustic song with the modern electronics sounds.

David is really my #1 influence as far as music goes.

His first album A Century Ends is very very good, as is the album The EP's 92-94, it showcases his best work from his first two albums, as well as some previously unreleased songs.

White Ladder and A New Day At Midnight kick serious ass too.

Adam
CPPJames Posted - 01/22/2003 : 12:56:15 PM
Speaking of David Gray, I really like him. Not the most impressive musician of all time, but I think his songs are really solid and he hasn't become mainstream enough for me to blow him off yet =).

James
robboc2005 Posted - 01/22/2003 : 12:21:43 PM
Before anyone even starts on John Mayer, buy his CD, "Room for Squares". No Such Thing is extremely overplayed, and it really doesn't show the greatness of his work. If you want some real guitar, listen to Not Myself (i think track 12).
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/01/2003 : 12:40:47 AM
I was trying to play a David Gray song and was just fucking around with the first chord of it (The DG song was L's Song) and figured out the first part to No Such Thing....then I realized I was playing a John Mayer song and I........stopped.

I really have nothing against the boy, I just don't really care for him.

Adam
dbeckalicious Posted - 12/31/2002 : 4:52:51 PM
At first when I heard "No Such Thing" I disliked John Mayer. I also thought he was a Dave cop-off (and I disliked how he didn't show emotion when he sang "scream at the top of my lungs"). But after a few more times, he sucked me in, I started liking it more and more. To the point when I heard "Your Body Is A Wonderland" I went and bought the CD. And now I am learning to play "No Such Thing." Granted, I am not a guitar wizard, nor will I ever be one, but I just can't play this song, it's damn hard. John is in his early 20's, still figuring out who he is, and he's only getting better at guitar. Damn, if he's getting better, and he's already damn good, I do believe John will be as influential on musicians as Dave is right now. There's more than a decade between John and Dave's age, and instead of ripping on John because he sounds like Dave, you should be happy that someone that young is that good, and Dave is a major influence. And yes, John is still mediocre compared to Dave, but he's got a huge future ahead of him. And I think he will branch off from "impersonating" Dave, and develop his jazz-influenced style into something even more fantastic than Dave (maybe). As for Howie Day, he is also fantastic, but not much of a guitar player. His main thing is the effects and looping pedals. If you have the opportunity to see him live, go b/c it's amazing. The stage has like 20 pedals on the ground, it's amazing that he can keep track of all the pedals. He also has some really nicely arranged songs that are really catchy.
ikabupini1 Posted - 12/30/2002 : 10:33:45 PM
Hello, I just wanted to know if someone here knows where I can get a tab with plain guitar chords of John Mayers, No such thing. You may email me at ikabupini1@yahoo.com. Thanks a lot.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/25/2002 : 9:33:03 PM
quote:
Anyone else notice that this thread has been read like 1000 TIMes? I bet that someone created this link on a Mayer thread or something.....and that's why we've gotten some trolls.

Agreed.
Fluffy Posted - 10/25/2002 : 08:24:18 AM
Oh yes, I forgot to welcome aBOARD our newest member, Welcome aBOARD jpschersch!!!

For everyone: If you scroll past the John Mayer 6 string really fast it looks PINK!!!!
Fluffy Posted - 10/25/2002 : 08:11:10 AM
I just thought this deserved to be added to this discussion. I am sure it will be taken out of context from the trolls from other boards looking to slam us or TR, but here it is anyway:

Q:The Internet is full of rumors that there was a falling out, or that some of the other members of DMB don't want to work with you.

A:That's so crazy. I could see how that happened, but no way. For one thing, I know he's busy. I'm not going to call him up and say, "Hey Dave, can we do an acoustic tour?" That would be crazy. He's so much bigger now than he was the last time we did the acoustic shows. On my part, it would be a sell-out move, because it's not what I want to do. And I could just sail along into the big time on Dave's name - John Mayer is totally copping that sound and living off that. I've already gotten what I need from working with Dave, spiritually. But I knew I had to go out and do my own work.

For the full interview, check out this link:

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2463
Jamie M Posted - 10/24/2002 : 10:31:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jpschersch

so, you agree with me? thats cool

jpschersch

No, you misinterpreted. Ah well..I don't really care to explain.

I think at any rate we can agree that Howie Day is great, and he's much better then John Mayer.
jpschersch Posted - 10/24/2002 : 1:45:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie M

I'm not stating your opinion here...just mine

so, you agree with me? thats cool

jpschersch
CheersDtoT Posted - 10/24/2002 : 12:09:01 AM

No I started this here on TR message board ... but I never thought that it would get this huge ....... but it's all good !! I'm glad everyone got to voice their opoin here !!! Take Care .... Cheers !
Jamie M Posted - 10/23/2002 : 10:17:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jpschersch

maybe....i dunno...i dont like bono....or U2 for that matter....never have. but, im not saying that the only thing he has in common is the acoustic guitar...because its not.

I'm not stating your opinion here...just mine.
pcbTIM Posted - 10/23/2002 : 5:50:23 PM
Anyone else notice that this thread has been read like 1000 TIMes? I bet that someone created this link on a Mayer thread or something.....and that's why we've gotten some trolls.
jpschersch Posted - 10/23/2002 : 2:56:49 PM
maybe....i dunno...i dont like bono....or U2 for that matter....never have. but, im not saying that the only thing he has in common is the acoustic guitar...because its not. he does sing a little like dave (in some parts, not all).....like when he strains his voice....but i agree...he is original....but john mayer...no...nevermind, not gonna talk about him....hehe....n e way, talk to you guys later.

jpschersch
Jamie M Posted - 10/23/2002 : 12:12:50 AM
Welcome aboard jpschersch.
The thing I think is so great about Howie Day is that he's so original. Not in the sense that he plays alot of covers, because the guy's only like 22, what do you expect. But he does alot of stuff I've never see anyone do before. Like his drumming thing on the guitar. And the loops and echoes with his vocals are so well done, it's insane.
I actually don't think Howie is anything like Dave though, the only similarity I can really see is the acoustic guitar. If you're gonna compare his voice to anyone, it would have to be Bono.
jpschersch Posted - 10/22/2002 : 3:07:09 PM
ok
i have more time to finish....
when im listening to howie day, i hear a little bit of the vocal that sounds kinda like dave....but the thing is, he switches up a little differently than dave. you know what i mean? i mean, dave sings songs and then when singing the same one, changes his voice, etc. well, howie does the same thing, but in a different manner....but who doesnt. now, john mayer....i dont wanna get started on him....i just didnt like him all that much when i was listening to him at first...and i just never liked him.....it might be the fact that everyone else likes him....(except a lot of ppl on this post as i can see, hehe)....but he just doesnt grab at me...except on the live version of howie day w/ john mayer - sorry, so sorry....his lead is decent.....n e way....not a whole lot left to say....i hope i didnt offend anyone....dont see how i could have. well, i will try to keep posting here. it seems like a cool msg board. later guys.

jpschersch
jpschersch Posted - 10/22/2002 : 2:39:38 PM
alright....
i read everyone's messages....and i agree with some,and disagree with others. no, i know this is my first post, but, hey, its ok...i just wanna speak my peace. i don't really like john mayer....but i do like howie day. i mean, john mayer does sound a little like dave....and i like dave....but its just different...so i dont like it. i dont know....but howie day sounds more different. i just like some of his songs. n e way...no time to finish this now. ill try later. peace.

jpschersch
Jamie M Posted - 10/20/2002 : 2:11:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pcbdmb
So just in case someone comes up with a good point, like "I just don't like him",

Haha, good call.
pcbTIM Posted - 10/19/2002 : 3:18:27 PM
Yeah.....I can't understand it either. I think that they do this so that they don't allow themselves to read the responses after their own. So just in case someone comes up with a good point, like "I just don't like him", they will still think they did us a favor....morons.

And Mayer isn't my cup of tea.
CheersDtoT Posted - 10/19/2002 : 1:40:47 PM

Yeah , I know what you mean . But if they just want to run off thats their falt . I don't understand why they do these insults to us . By insulting us then running away they aren't acomplishing anthing , it just makes them look bad . But what ever it's their thing , and I still don't like John Mayer so .......... they really havn't done to much damage here . Cheers !
Arthen Posted - 10/19/2002 : 01:38:33 AM
Well. Has anyone else noticed that these people show up, insult us, and then dissapear. It's one thing to insult someone, but when you do it and run away. That makes you all the weaker. At least stand up and try to explain yourself. Seriously. Damn idiots.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 09/30/2002 : 01:06:57 AM
quote:
And their are some fucking amazing guitar players here that are better than Mayer ( a lot better , for example Silky and FiS , those guys are golden gods )

Man that brought a smile to my face! I wish I could say that's true, but I think my talent seems to be grossly overestimated! Thank you for the compliment though. Hopefully you'll still think the same if I ever decide to record some music!

Jamie M Posted - 09/30/2002 : 12:17:30 AM
Damn, I really missed this whole topic over the summer.
I just wanna swing it back to Howie Day. For those of you who have decided that you don't like him, I urge you to find some of the stuff where he uses the DL-4 for his vocals, there's NO WAY you can call that boring. I managed to get ahold of one live concert he played last May and got totally hooked on his music, it's aboslutely amazing. I found his CD and bought it and I was really disappointed, it doesn't compare to his live solo stuff. So please don't make any conclusions about him until you've heard his new live stuff.

CheersDtoT Posted - 09/29/2002 : 9:49:21 PM

When I started this post I wasn't here to ripp on Mayer . I was seeing what people think of him . Me personaly I don't like his music . Not simply because he's like Dave or sounds like him because I don't think he does . DMB's music gets your atention and sucks you in . They are great muscians and they just want to play . When ever I hera a DMB song I can't help but start dancing , or when I hear a TR song you can't help but playing a little air guitar . I just don't find that electricity in Mayer's music . If some else does well them good for them . But their no need to start calling people bad muscians simple because people don't like you musican . i made this post to get people's opions not to start ripping them apart . Some of us don't like Mayer , you do and others do to . And if John Mayer is doing what he loves to do and just wants to make himself and other people happy , them the man gets my props ! And I hope all the best for him . But that doesn't mean I can't say I don't like him , and why I don't like him . so I think you need to just cool off . It's just a message board ! And their are some fucking amazing guitar players here that are better than Mayer ( a lot better , for example Silky and FiS , those guys are golden gods ) you just need to chill out ! Cheers !!

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Jay Posted - 09/29/2002 : 1:18:49 PM
Well, Our own prophetic GuitarGuy has seen the future yet again! And aren't there a few "Kitties" on this board that have a CD out? Wow...i ahte it when people try to pick on you when they don't even know what they are saying...some people just suck at insults...and WHY would someone sign up on the board just to post ONE comment ripping on others? Wow...well...disregard this.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 09/27/2002 : 2:56:07 PM
I read an interview in a guitar mag with John Mayer and he said that his style being similar and somewhat ripping off Dave Matthews is NOT a coincidence.

Furthermore, I sincerely believe that there are people on these boards that can write and play as well as, if not better than Mayer. I mean, who is a huge inspiration to a lot of us here??? Tim Reynolds, who is worlds beyond Mayer on guitar. And with Reynolds as inspiration, how can you go wrong? Just because no one from this board is on TRL or has a #1 album, doesn't mean no one here could outplay or outwrite Mayer.

I've heard Mayer's Room for Squares album, the entire album is like one long song that all sounds alike. And is it just me or are all the songs about a girl. And by a girl, I mean the same fucking girl.

I respect the fact that you like Mayer, and I'm not saying he sucks because I don't like him, I'm just telling you why I don't like him, and telling you that you're out of line comparing guitar players on this board to Mayer, when out of the two, you've only actually HEARD Mayer play.

I also assume that this post will go unanswered, because you strike me as one of these people that posts once, and disappears.

Adam

Everybody's talkin' at me, I can't hear a word they're sayin'...Just driving 'round in Jon Voight's car...

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
robbymj Posted - 09/27/2002 : 12:19:16 PM
You know what? Is there anyone of you hacks that can play like John Mayer? Write like John Mayer? Sing like John Mayer? He's got a record out which is more than any of you little kitties can say. AS does Howie day, and Ari Hest. Why don't you all get off Daves dick and recognize that new music can be good and its not honing in the old shit that you all like.....For everyone that rips on John Mayer, I think you ought to take a good long look at why you feel the need to rip on him? What did he ever to to you? If you don't like his music, just leave it at that, theres no need to put him down, or anyone else for that matter

NeverKillADream Posted - 08/20/2002 : 10:08:37 PM
if anyone has an extra, feel free to send it to me.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Jay Posted - 08/20/2002 : 9:29:48 PM
It is hand made, a signture model, and a limited additon. Plus, it is made of very high wuality wood. But, 3,500 is jsut the list price, you could probably find it for $3000 or less at certain places.

Jay
" It's a scavenger hunt in the best of times, a one armed man with a box of dimes. Throw the stick and let the bulldog roll." KJP
pcbTIM Posted - 08/20/2002 : 8:14:03 PM
I must be crazy.....but that guitar doesn't look like it costs $3500....so I have to ask.......why is it that expensive?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
NeverKillADream Posted - 08/19/2002 : 11:55:17 PM
Im still drooling over the shiny martin photo.

Using The Force Daily...
NeverKillADream@aol.com
Jay Posted - 08/13/2002 : 8:11:25 PM
As I remember, the Lightfoot guitar was going to be made out of a rarewood, i forget what, but they setted on one type that was eay to find for conservation reasons (Hey, GL is a washed-up hippie! He's so cool!)

Jay
CheersDtoT Posted - 08/13/2002 : 8:02:25 PM

That Lightfoot guitar is pretty nice but it's nothing to Dave's Singnature guitar .... the DM3MD .... with the South Africain Paduak ( rare wood ) peices on the back and on the neck ...... thats perfection ! Or the Classic Taylors ... those guitars are $10,000.00

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
Jay Posted - 08/13/2002 : 01:57:43 AM
I'd like them in a little bit...I've been up to here *holds up right hand* in trades for a long time. I really dig all the stuff you sent me. Mine are out today, so expect them there by Saturday or Monday. And uh...I apologize in advance for sending you Sandy Carl...i think that if you just throw him out, he won't haunt your dreams and you can escape the eternal damnation of searching for his cookies...nevermind...wow...I'm really strange...at least today I am...um...so throw Sandy Carl out (He's a drawing, BTW)...

No, I think i fell asleep when the filler came on, or i was walking the dog at the moment, or just didn't notcie the incident you speak of...( Damn old world english...I damn Thee old world! Damn thee damn thee damn thee)

Ok...

*Sits in scilence and collects himself...walks to freezer, gets frozen chicken breasts...and cooks em...hot'n juicy!*

Jay
My_Bad_Side Posted - 08/13/2002 : 01:28:46 AM
I do not know what the filler is. It isn't Leo with anyone, that's for sure. It's just some random music, I'm guessing. I don't know, to be honest with you. It's pretty decent, and in that filler, you get a good idea of why performers rarely "get on" the crowd...that guy does it, and you can tell...it just screws things up, for me anyway... Did you hear that part?

Anywho, I'll be glad to hook you up with these other shows if you're interested. I guess I could have emailed you all this stuff...but we're the only two here right now...maybe... I think we're alone now, doesn't seem to be anyone around...

MWUAAHAHAHHAHHH!

But seriously, the other shows are yours if you want them.

I'm schizophrenic. And so am I. am I. am I. am I.
Jay Posted - 08/13/2002 : 12:06:47 AM
Yeah, i got Light and the other Leo show today. Thanks! I love all three, I listened to all around today, in order. Fun stuff! Room at the top of the stairs with Jerry Lewis/Douglass, something like that, the dobro guy! is sweet! I played that over and over! What's the filler on the a+ show? Or is that the opener? It's not Kottke, that's for sure, but i like it.

Jay
My_Bad_Side Posted - 08/13/2002 : 12:00:11 AM
I'd hit it. Either one.

Hey Jay, did that other show show up today? If not, then I'll remail it, cause it't worth it. And I got an extra in the mail today, so it'd be no difference to me. AND I got a bunch more Leo shows, too. Maybe three new ones. I'm listening to one from 1977 right now. Funny. He rips with the geetar, but his voice is way different. Less sure of himself, it seems. Good stuff.

But seriously, let me know if you don't have that other show yet.

Jay Posted - 08/12/2002 : 11:45:55 PM
quote:
Price begins at $6500.00

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! Jesus! HOly friggin Christ almighty and all things holy! Now, look at a signature Martin, let's take the Martin GL18 ( Gordon Lightfoot d-18) for example. Starting price was $3,500. And, it was an acoustic guitar made from solid wood, it's beutiful!

Look:

Now, which would you prefer?

Jay
willyc4744 Posted - 08/12/2002 : 11:24:14 PM
JOHN MAYER IS A GOOD GUITAR PLAYER....EVERYONE MUST ADMIT THAT....BUT HIS SONGS ARE SHALLOW AND KIND OF BORING....NOT COMPARABLE TO DAVE OR TIM IN THE LEAST

My_Bad_Side Posted - 08/12/2002 : 11:14:16 PM
Just noticed that John Mayer has his own signature model of these...

The John Mayer 6 String. Price begins at $6500.00

Saint Jude Posted - 08/12/2002 : 9:42:42 PM
Fluffy Said:

quote:
ROTFLMAO, now that is the longest laugh ever garnered from such a short sentence. That sentence is priceless in it's perfection. Just the right amount of sarcasm, friendliness, and fuck off as you can squeeze into so few words. Big Gold Star for you on that one. Funniest thing I have read all week.

why thank you, i do what i can.

MBS said:

quote:
You won't convince me that that's not a beautiful guitar.

its perty, but for some reason it pains me to look at the frets... as if the guitar is slanted or something. it freaks me out.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
My_Bad_Side Posted - 08/12/2002 : 8:49:15 PM

You won't convince me that that's not a beautiful guitar.

j Posted - 08/12/2002 : 8:35:23 PM
here you go:
http://www.novaxguitars.com/general.html

"Have a moderately neato day. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-G.C.
Jay Posted - 08/11/2002 : 2:55:29 PM
Hehehe! You said Novax! Hahahaha! No really...what the hell are fanned fret supposed to do...I absolutely dispise John Mayer so don't say 'Watch this video" or something because i wont...but what do they do?

Jay
j Posted - 08/10/2002 : 8:24:31 PM
fanned frets are probably novax guitars

"Have a moderately neato day. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-G.C.
dick mountjoy Posted - 08/10/2002 : 3:16:59 PM
he plays gibson's in the studio i think, but a martin live. i saw somewhere he also has a clapton model martin but doesn't play it for recording purposes. he also uses a variety of fender strat's and this cool electric guitar with slanted, fanned out frets. i can't remember the name of the manufacturer but he uses it guitar on 'neon'.

CheersDtoT Posted - 08/10/2002 : 3:02:25 PM

In the NO SUCH THING video it looks like he's playing a D-35 . You can tell it's not a DM3MD ( dave matthews sig. ) because theirs no South African rosewood inlay on the head . DM3MD has an inlay of the rosewood on the head ( or the "brain" as I call it ) and the back , like the D-35 . But do you guys want to hear somthing strange I was looking on his website to see if I was right about my guess and it says he doesn't even play a Martin . The only aco. guitars he plays are Gipsons , but thats bull shit because it's clear in the video it's a Martin ( because it's so easy to read their name on the brain) . So their are my thoughts on the whole deal . CHEERS !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
dick mountjoy Posted - 08/10/2002 : 12:00:30 PM
mayer is not playing a dave matthews signature martin any longer.....he's playing an hd-35.

j Posted - 08/10/2002 : 02:13:05 AM
Just thought I'd throw this in:
when playing acoustic, Mayer uses Dave's signature Martin.
For whatever it's worth, there's an interesting fact.

-G.C.
JTR Posted - 08/08/2002 : 9:34:11 PM
The only thing that could ever get me interested in John Mayer would be something to the effect of a Mayer and Reynolds tour, but then he'd be completely copying Matthews, and then I would hate him more and I would think about not going... But Tim would be there, so I'd have to go.

Fluffy Posted - 08/06/2002 : 03:22:58 AM
StJude said:
quote:
why hello there homophobic Bredej. nice of you to join and bitch at everyone. Welcome.
ROTFLMAO, now that is the longest laugh ever garnered from such a short sentence. That sentence is priceless in it's perfection. Just the right amount of sarcasm, friendliness, and fuck off as you can squeeze into so few words. Big Gold Star for you on that one. Funniest thing I have read all week.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Jay Posted - 08/06/2002 : 01:46:25 AM
I could never get into Mayer. The first time I saw him on MTV ( I watch one-two hours of MTV a decade, and I've only lived one and a half.) I changed channels. I do like his guitar playing, cause you have to admit that they are pretty good, but his music just reminded me of those people that yell " STREEEAAAM!!!!" at Tim concerts...drunk, preppry college kids...a.k.a Fratboy Assholes...

Jay
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 08/06/2002 : 01:29:46 AM
Yeah, I like some of the bass lines. Even if he's not good, he's at least active, which is a good thing to be sometimes.

[size=1I am not the albatross of love, I am the human elipse. I am dot dot dot.[/size=1]
dick mountjoy Posted - 08/05/2002 : 6:09:20 PM
Mayer's bass player is David Lapierre (Dela). he's pretty good.....the drummer they had on the last tour though just flat out sucked.

CheersDtoT Posted - 08/05/2002 : 1:14:23 PM

No Mayer's bass player is pretty good . I forgot his name ....but he really can bust out sometimes ..... but he's no Victor Wooten ( from Bela Fleck and Flecktones ) Cheers !

R.I.P - Lynn & T.J.
I Love You Guys !
My_Bad_Side Posted - 08/05/2002 : 08:17:13 AM
Maybe I just don't know anything, but I think John Mayer's bass player can really rip. Seriously. Compared to someone like..Merlo with Jack Johnson...John Mayer's guy really plays some good licks sometimes.

pcbTIM Posted - 08/05/2002 : 03:34:45 AM
I've realized that it's not so much his lyrics that bug me, but his music. It just doesn't sound "full" enough to me. I mean, there are a lot of songs in which the music alone has kept a song alive. His just doesn't have that energy.

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000