Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Modal Improvisation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
S-J-L-247 Posted - 06/10/2002 : 4:52:46 PM
In some previous topic never kill a dream and someone else was talking about using modes for improvising over lie in our graves. I've read one book on jazz improvisation about modes and about 3 different websites on it and it still is not clear. When you say use the mixolydian of D does this mean use the key of D but use a scale starting on the fifth note (G), or does it mean use the key of A to improvise (as the fifth note in the key of A is D)?

Any information on modal improvisation would be much appreciated.

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 06/23/2002 : 3:04:48 PM
OK......I let my dog poop on it.....then I set it on fire and put on my neighbor's front porch. Hahahaha!!!! His foot got caught in the sound hole!

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
genome Posted - 06/21/2002 : 11:20:55 PM
No...poop on it, THEN set it on fire.

Saint Jude Posted - 06/21/2002 : 10:28:36 PM
uhh, set it on fire.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
pcbTIM Posted - 06/21/2002 : 8:58:33 PM
quote:

if all else fails smash your guitar.

.....Done! Now what?

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
Saint Jude Posted - 06/17/2002 : 9:46:42 PM
if all else fails smash your guitar.

JTR Posted - 06/17/2002 : 9:30:20 PM
Any more places one can look for info on how to improve their improv? I feel kinda stuck right now in the rut of improvisations...

dan p. Posted - 06/12/2002 : 5:42:18 PM
locrian was by far the coolest of the modes.
isn't there also other modes, like hypophrygian and whatnot? i seem to recall my teacher telling me about them.

push becomes shove. days become months. i seem to have forgotten the warmth of the sun.
Saint Jude Posted - 06/12/2002 : 4:43:42 PM
you could, but it might sound odd, you just need to figure out what sound you like. but you definately dont want to play your F natural when he was playing F#, unless you really want that disonance. but what ever floats your boat.

JTR Posted - 06/12/2002 : 02:14:59 AM
I'm not sure these will help, but check out these diagrams. I've printed a few of these out lately to study with as I pretend to play guitar.

http://www.guitar.ch/home/scales/modes_min_dots.html
http://www.guitar.ch/home/scales/modes_maj_dots.html

Here's another softball-like question you might have already addressed, but if the song my friend is playing in is say a G maj, could I in theory play a G-Mixo or some other G-mode and still be in key?

j Posted - 06/11/2002 : 8:52:55 PM
well, S-J-L-247, in alot of ways, you're right. It's hard to make sense of something like that. Why would there be a bunch of different names for things are essentially the same except they only begin in different places. But, the idea is that where you start within a certain scale (e.g. starting on D in a D major scale vs. starting on E in E dorian) will sound different depending on where you start. Yes, the notes in an E dorian scale are the same as the notes in a D major scale, but it all depends on the song.

Consider this simple bass line:
E-0-3-5-

That could be in the key of alot of things, including E dorian or D major. If you can, record yourself playing a simple bass line like that or some other progression and just play with all the different modes. You will notice that, although a bunch of different modes may share the exact same notes, they all sound very different within the context of the song. I hope this makes slightly more sense. I know it took me a while to be comfortable with this seemingly unnecessary aspect of music.

"Have a moderately neato day. May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
-G.C.
JTR Posted - 06/11/2002 : 8:03:44 PM
I've been meaning to look into this, go out and look at the book at the library or something, but here it is in my lap. And you probably explained it much easier than any book might have. Thanks.

S-J-L-247 Posted - 06/11/2002 : 2:15:20 PM
That kind of comfirms what i already thought.

The thing that really confuses me is when people talk about improvising and playing solo's using modes because if you use the same notes as a certain major scale, why not just say use the major scale instead of saying a mode which uses that scale. In other words if a mode is just a displaced scale then unless you are playing the scale starting and ending on a certain note and using all seven notes in order then there is absolutely no difference to that scale than the major scale that the mode is based on.

Not to sure that all makes sense but what i'm sayin is that even when i think i understand modes i can't see the use of them.

Thanks for previous info by the way.

SJL

Saint Jude Posted - 06/10/2002 : 9:42:50 PM
The thing about modes is that they are so simple in theory that they are confusing as hell.

modes: Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian.

by saying D Mixolydian it is like saying G Maj (Ionian) scale, starting and ending on D. So you could also call G maj - A Dorian, B Phrygian, C Lydian, (D mixo), E Aeolian, and F# Locrian.

All of them have the same notes in the scaale, but start on a different note as the tonic.

G maj: G-A-B-C-D-E-F#-G
A dor: A-B-C-D-E-F#-G-A
B phr: B-C-D-E-F#-G-A-B
C lyd: C-D-E-F#-G-A-B-C
D mix: D-E-F#-G-A-B-C-D
E aeo: E-F#-G-A-B-C-D-E
F# lo: F#-G-A-B-C-D-E-F#

I hope that helps you out.

Jamie M Posted - 06/10/2002 : 8:02:53 PM
Let me just first say that I know nothing about this.
But I can answer your question just by problem solving...I once noticed that the tab of the D mixolydian scale in the Stream tab is the exact same notes as an E minor, which is the same as a G. So I think the answer to your question is to start on the G.
I can provide you with nothing else, good luck.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000