Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Finger Style-ing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JTR Posted - 05/19/2002 : 9:19:53 PM
I've been reluctant to try to learn how to finger pick, and it's just becoming more and more obvious to me that pretty much all of Reynolds' songs lose something if you try to play them with a pick. Anybody have any hints on how to get this down, do you assign a finger to each string, tricks with contact, anything would be helpful...
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
revrendmaynard14 Posted - 06/05/2002 : 02:23:27 AM
The first "complex" thing I learned was "dust in the wind" which is finger picking...he he

*~Kaleigh~*
JTR Posted - 05/22/2002 : 2:24:15 PM
Yeah, I hope to master some bass slaps too...

Dave S Posted - 05/21/2002 : 7:25:31 PM
I was intently watching tim's fingers at the Portland show, and I still cannot say which is better, pinky or no pinky. Tim used many different hand positions while playing...sometimes the pinky would be anchored, sometimes not, sometimes playing with two semi-straight finger a la bass players...he did anything and everything...I'm guessing that whatever style you choose, it is best suited for a certain mode of playing. so tim being tim, he masters them all...

JTR Posted - 05/20/2002 : 4:39:44 PM
I'm sure you can, but they seem to imply that the best use for the pinky is to anchor it down. I don't like to do that, so I may eventually utilize it, but 4 fingers is good enough to practice with for now.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/20/2002 : 2:56:30 PM
I just kind of float my hand above the strings which leaves my pinky free to be used, rather than resting it below the soundhole... so I do use my pinky finger. Not sure why instructionals would say that you can't.
-J

JTR Posted - 05/20/2002 : 2:01:34 PM
Theres a load of instruction sites on the internet I was never able to find before. I was figuring it out, kinda feeling my way, and now I understand that you cannot use your pinky. Do you guys use the pinky as an anchor or do you let it hang.
dick mountjoy Posted - 05/19/2002 : 10:03:08 PM
I agree with Silky.....watch the 5-5-00 vid of TIM and learn all you can.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 05/19/2002 : 9:52:56 PM
Watch videos of people fingerpicking... emulate.
-J

pcbTIM Posted - 05/19/2002 : 9:48:37 PM
Basically.....you just need to practice. You should begin with two fingers, then three, etc. That's the way I learned. When you feel you've mastered three, then move on. When you can play Is Anybody Here.....then you know you've got it!

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000