Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Tablature / Guitar Setup
 Increasing Speed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JTR Posted - 02/12/2002 : 10:27:39 PM
Anyone got any tricks to increase your speed to above the ordinary. I've been playing for a while, so I got some good speed, but I'm looking for a few new techniques to get a little closer to Timmy's speed.

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Saint Jude Posted - 02/20/2002 : 12:29:40 AM
indeed, guitarists arnt known for their time keeping ability..... were more known for our smashing ability

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/14/2002 : 6:39:12 PM
Thanks for your input, but in your infinite wisdom yous seem to have completely missed the point... the entire IDEA is that it keeps you in a particular tempo so that you aren't inconsistent. You master one speed and then turn the metronome to a faster speed to push yourself to go faster, but in a way that keeps you going such that there are no pauses and no inconsistencies. Most people tend to be a little choppy when they switch from one string to another, but if your goal is to be like Tim, that is not an option because his playing is smooth across the board... a metronome is just a tool to help you along to that goal.
-J

jediguitarist Posted - 02/14/2002 : 2:55:00 PM
Dude I agree that a metranome is a great tool, but they can also be a pain, escpecially on speed exercises. When you doing a speed exercise your trying to play faster and a meteranome doesn't allow you to do anything but play at the setting. I think when you playing something with a set tempo, you should use one, but for speed exercises I say they're a waste.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/14/2002 : 12:51:39 AM
You can buy one for about $15 at any music store. Jason is right, it is a machine, not an excercise. But you use it to help you with your excercises or songs that you are working on. I used Stream as an example above because that is a song that most people have to build up to. A metronome will keep you in time such that you aren't going to go apeshit fast on some parts and braindead geriatric slow on others. Once you master things at a given speed, you can bump up the speed a notch or two and get it at that speed. It's the same concept as weight training, you can't just dive in and bench press $250 pounds, you have to build up to it. So in that sense, you can do the excercises, and the metronome is like a personal trainer to make sure you are doing your shit at the right pace.
-J

pcbTIM Posted - 02/14/2002 : 12:05:50 AM
Sounds pretty cool

"I do what I can with what I've got."
Jamie M Posted - 02/13/2002 : 11:59:25 PM
I'm pretty sure they've got higher technology ones... You set it for beats/min and it will beep. I saw my music teacher using one a couple years ago.

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 02/13/2002 : 09:39:41 AM
Oh, but it doesn't hook to your guitar or anything and it's not an exercise. It is just freestanding. I always heard of pianists using it, not geetarists, but whatever Silky says. They set it on top of the piano to get the beat going, then practice away.

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 02/13/2002 : 09:38:12 AM
A metronome is like a clock that you can set to click how fast you want it to. That way you have a steady beat to match, and you can go faster or slower if you want to.

It has a little bar that swings back and forth. You wind it (or whatever) and then let it go, and it starts clicking and swinging away, giving you the pace.

I think.

-Jason-

If you had a neck and I had hands, I would squeeze your brain, which is your body, right out the top of your head, which does not exist!
pcbTIM Posted - 02/13/2002 : 02:03:10 AM
I'm sorry...I still don't understand. Is a metronome an exercise or some sort of machine used for the guitar?

Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/13/2002 : 01:00:10 AM
A metronome just helps you stay consistent... it keeps your timing perfect. So if you want to increase your speed when trying to play something like Stream, if you have to build up to it, a metronome is very useful. You get it to the point where you can play it PERFECTLY at a given speed, and not until it's perfect do you bump the speed up a little... then repeat. The same can be said for using one with fingering excercises.
-J

Saint Jude Posted - 02/13/2002 : 12:45:40 AM
drop d or what ever

d-------------0-3-5
a-------0-3-5
d-0-3-5 repeat

do that as fast as you can for like 5 mins and your hand will hurt like hell, but it will build up your speed.

also it sounds kewl.

- Without you, without you everything falls apart
Without you, it's not as much fun to pick up the pieces.
pcbTIM Posted - 02/12/2002 : 11:17:56 PM
Metronome?

Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/12/2002 : 11:16:03 PM
I can't stress the value of a metronome enough.
-J

pcbTIM Posted - 02/12/2002 : 11:09:39 PM
the only one that I know of is to do

-1-2-3-4-3-2-1-

as fast as you can. Not those frets specifically, but any four in a row. See how long you can maintain. Over TIMe, you slowly get faster. There are probably others that are better, but I don't know them.

Also, you can get rid of that other topic by erasing it.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000