Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 What other acoustic albums to buy?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MoonHawk Posted - 12/27/2001 : 8:01:37 PM
I need more acoustic solo music. Finally got hold of gossip of the neurons (wish I could have been there) it is great. Now I have all the tim stuff. Including ID and companion , And it is great I run it all the time as I work on the computer. If some one has not taken the time to down load it JUST DO IT and smile. What suggestions do you guys have.
Hopelessly addicted to music!

Not to touch the earth
38   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KevinLesko Posted - 12/20/2002 : 10:37:41 PM
Man, it's been a while since I've seen this post... One name I'd add to the list off the top of my head would be Ryan Adams (NOW BEFORE YOU GO BLASTING ME I SAID RYAN.. NOTBRIAN!!!) ok, anyways, I had never heard of him until we got a promo cd of his at work (his latest cd Demolition) which is a collection of B-sides and unreleased stuff. After a few listens in the store I was hooked!

Once again though, I cannot stress enough that I am talking about RYAN Adams, and NOT BRIAN adams.

Ryan = good
Brian = no talent canadian ass clown
motorhead604 Posted - 12/20/2002 : 3:53:04 PM
one artist that has some good acoustic music is bob mould. i use that term acoustic music loosely . what he was known in the pastfor was husker du . like the second generation of punk. from about 1985 on there recordings of him solo acoustic alone by himself. that was whenhis songwriting really came out.you can still find the early releases somewhere,probly on his website. you have to look for the acoustic music. otherwise his later cd's are alot of electric guitar songs.when you listen to the electric music, listen to the acoustic music. the acoustic music will shock people. this year granary music is going through some changes. what he is known for now is a songwriter.
Fluffy Posted - 05/03/2002 : 04:31:29 AM
Also, you guys should be on the lookout for Marcus Eaton and the Lobby. He has opened for TR a coupla 3 times. We met him first when he drove down to Park City UT from Boise ID for a TR show and could not get in because he was underage. I did everything I could aside from promising the club manager my first born but no dice. So we hung out with him outside for a while and we walked back to the hotel with us and hung out some more. He and I kept in touch over a TIMe and last tour when we played Boise ID Marcus got to open for TR. At that show he preformed with his percussionist. He managed to get the opening slot again for this past show in Boise ID and I also was able to get him the opening slot for TR at the SLC UT show as well. Seems the original opening act broke his arm and when I called to advance the show they told me they were not sure they would have an opening act on such short notice. I suggested Marcus. He snapped up the gig and drove down to meet us and put on one helluva show!!! This TIMe he was solo acoustic. We had a great TIMe!! Marcus is good people. He just got signed to MCA records and just finished recording his first major label album with his band The Lobby. Keep your eyes open, it is definitely worth checking out!!!!

http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Marcus_Eaton_and_the_Lobby/

http://www.marcuseatonandthelobby.com/

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/02/2002 : 08:39:07 AM
quote:

For you Cali people...

Leo Kottke Concert
5/3/2002
8:00 pm
with Patty Larkin opening
San Rafael, CA
Tickets:
415-472-3500

Leo Kottke Concert
5/4/2002
Palo Alto, CA
Tickets:
650-322-3100

Leo Kottke Concert
5/5/2002
7:00 pm
Monterey, CA
Tickets:
650-322-3100

You lucky bastards. Someone go her Leo for me. Los Angeles people, that one is only 4 days away. Well, three, really.

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

Leo's Tour Schedule

-What-

No one forget that Leo Kottke's going to be in the Cali area for a little while...Anyone close to this really would enjoy a show..

-What-
Jason Posted - 04/25/2002 : 12:27:08 PM
quote:
http://www.scotthuckabay.com/

This guy opened for us in Benbow CA. He was quite amazing. He is the closest thing style-wise to TR that I have seen. We were all quite impressed. I don't know what stuff he has out there, but he is well worth checking out if you are a TR acoustic fan!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy

I actually have this guys CD. It was a promo that came in to the music store when I use to work there. I will have to go back and check it out again, but I know it was pretty good the first time I checked it out. I have never seem him live though.

pcbTIM Posted - 04/25/2002 : 03:04:42 AM
quote:

Leo Kottke Concert
5/3/2002
San Rafael, CA
Tickets:
415-472-3500

Holy shit! My dad lives five minutes from that place......you can see it from his house! That's just wierd.

"Life is what you make of it, not what you take from it."
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 04/25/2002 : 02:04:08 AM
For you Cali people...

Leo Kottke Concert
5/3/2002
San Rafael, CA
Tickets:
415-472-3500

Leo Kottke Concert
5/4/2002
Palo Alto, CA
Tickets:
650-322-3100

Leo Kottke Concert
5/5/2002
7:00 pm
Monterey, CA
Tickets:
650-322-3100

You lucky bastards. Someone go her Leo for me. Los Angeles people, that one is only 4 days away. Well, three, really.

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

Leo's Tour Schedule

-What-
Fluffy Posted - 04/19/2002 : 04:09:30 AM
DEJA VU!!! BIG TIME!!!!

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=87

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/24/2002 : 9:09:58 PM
Ya, Leo Kottke is one funny man. He could just tell stories and I'd go see him live. The geetar is just a bonus. He's really amazing.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Fluffy Posted - 01/24/2002 : 05:16:29 AM
Michael Hedges is indeed a monster. But I will take TR any day of the week. You would be hard pressed to find a better, more unique, guitar player out there. Damn he's good!!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/19/2002 : 2:11:48 PM
Uhhhhhhh.... what did I miss? I'm figuring this must be related to the incomprehensibly long religion topic that I just didn't feel like reading...
-J

Isaac Posted - 01/10/2002 : 09:07:27 AM
I didn't notice if anyone suggested him already but Michael Hedges is a fucking monster on the acoustic guitar. Check some of his shit out and be amazed.

I also made a thread about this guy before but no one seemed to like any of the songs I posted, but I really like Keller Williams.

I saw Leo Kottke in concert a few weeks back, gotta say, the man tears shit up. And tells some great stories between songs too, loved it!

3----------------------->

Isaac
Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/09/2002 : 4:38:02 PM
quote:
Alex Fox. He is pretty swift on an acoustic, too, altho he plays kinda a Spanish flamenco type thing. He is really really good, too.

Sorry you have to look way the hell up there for that one... but I didn't realize that he had gained any notoriety. I used to go see him play outside a restaurant on South Beach in Miami. He'd play like 5 or 6 songs and then go screw his hot dancer girl in the back. My dad even bought one of his albums because it was so entertaining in person... but it turned out the album was just god aweful. I'm just amazed that someone else has even heard of him.
-J

pcbTIM Posted - 01/09/2002 : 02:32:04 AM
quote:

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Maybe I should do an acoustic album!

Yeah! Then all your fans will leave and you'll disappear of the face of the earth!

"War is not about who is right, it is about who is left."
diggin Posted - 01/08/2002 : 11:17:15 PM
quote:

Rumour has it, although PK denies it, that once in an interview Jimi Hendrix was asked How it felt to be the best guitarist in the world and he supposedly answered, "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy." May only be a legend, but you gotta be pretty damn good to have rumours like that started about you.

:lol I've heard that Phil really hates that story.

and to the guy who was talking about howie, john and david, I love john mayer! It's so jazzy and smooth. ive heard some howie and i like him ok, but hes no JM. I think I'd like david gray if I took the time to listen to him.

FredDurst Posted - 01/08/2002 : 11:06:44 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Maybe I should do an acoustic album!

FD "KING OF ALL I SURVEY"
KevinLesko Posted - 01/08/2002 : 8:29:13 PM
Rockethouse is an excellent cd. I'm a big fan of DJ Logic too so I think to have a blues/folk rocker and a dj makes for a really cool sound.

PS don't be scared off of the word DJ, he is much more of a Jazzy DJ. He works a lot with Medeski Msrtin and Wood. I have a version of Him playing with Bela and the Tone's where they do Sinister Minister and it is an amazing version.

MoonHawk Posted - 01/08/2002 : 6:28:09 PM
Well dont rely on what I say just check it out and GIVE IT A CHANCE! Thats why alot of people miss great music is because they just wont give it a chance. Visit her site and enjoy or at least try it!

Not to touch the earth
pcbTIM Posted - 01/07/2002 : 11:37:26 PM
quote:

She has a unique sounding voice BUT WHO WANTS THE SAME OLE SAME OLE!

I wouldn't rely too heavily on that statement. I mean Macy Gray has a unique voice and I want to kill her. My friend and I purposely got to the DMB concert at Dodger stadium late so we would miss as much of her as possible.

"War is not about who is right, it is about who is left."
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/07/2002 : 11:13:07 PM
Glad you checked out Leo Kottke. He's a personal favorite. I don't have Anthology, so I can't compare it to others, but I agree about the singing. I can dig it, but that's only because I can dig people like Johnny Cash (I mean, dig their voice). His voice is for some reason pleasantly soothing to me...calm but strong and powerful. Blah blah. But you're right, both his right hand and left are fast...

BTW, people trade stuff of his (I mean, the same way they trade Tim's). So I'm sure you could get a video if you wanted to see him in action.

-Jason-

MoonHawk Posted - 01/07/2002 : 11:09:38 PM
Hey Fluffy I ended up buying Chris Whitleys new album ROCKET HOUSE. Decided to get his newest stuff and original songs. I LOVE IT. He has a great sound. Needs to show off more of the guitar though.I got Leo Kottke Anthology too,it is great. I dont like his singing much but there isnt much of it. He has fast moving fingers left and right.
Also checked out the Scott Huckabay web site sounds like something I would like but they didnt have any in the store.soon though...
Hey seen someone ask about DEVON so I checked out her web site
http://www.devonmusic.com/recordings.html
SHE KICKS ASS
and I hate girl singers. I will be buying some of this in the future. Check it out. Heard she opened for Tim. She has a unique sounding voice BUT WHO WANTS THE SAME OLE SAME OLE! give it a chance anyone who checks it out. Hope she sticks with it.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE FLAVORS OF MUSIC
MORE MORE MORE ......................................

Not to touch the earth
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 01/07/2002 : 8:37:22 PM
quote:

Seems like Howie Day, David Grey, and John Mayer are all really popular now but I can't get into any of them. They just don't seem like anything special to me. I heard a Mayer cover of Message in a bottle that was pretty good.

I respect the fact that you aren't into it, and thanks for not saying "David Gray, Howie Day, and John Mayer suck" If more people rephrased their sentences to say "I'm not into it" The world would be a better place!!! :)

Words cannot express how much I love David Gray's music. The guys music moves me to tears, and I dont even have to think about anything. i mean, nothing in my life is necessarily making me sad, I could be having the best day of my life, and i listen to a song of his, and boom..it hits me. But I love that.

I can't listen to his shit around other people, becaue they'll know what a wuss I am, LOL.

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 01/05/2002 : 11:50:33 AM
...they all look so happy...

-Jason-

Fluffy Posted - 01/05/2002 : 07:46:35 AM
Howie Day opened for TR a couple of tours ago when we played in Chicago at Schubas.

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
pcbTIM Posted - 01/05/2002 : 04:07:08 AM
dispatch is pretty cool. I like that song about the general and the one would you call my name out loud.

KevinLesko Posted - 01/05/2002 : 03:06:42 AM
Seems like Howie Day, David Grey, and John Mayer are all really popular now but I can't get into any of them. They just don't seem like anything special to me. I heard a Mayer cover of Message in a bottle that was pretty good.

TRent Posted - 01/04/2002 : 05:28:43 AM
do any of you listen to howie day? what do you think of him?

Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.
Fluffy Posted - 01/04/2002 : 04:21:18 AM
Phil Keaggy, now he is the man. He was playing up the street from us when we played in Boulder CO. I took pictures of the marquee. Unfortunately there was not time to check it out. He is amazing though. Rumour has it, although PK denies it, that once in an interview Jimi Hendrix was asked How it felt to be the best guitarist in the world and he supposedly answered, "I don't know, ask Phil Keaggy." May only be a legend, but you gotta be pretty damn good to have rumours like that started about you. By the way, deadheads take note, PK is another "minus 1 finger" guitar players. Check him out. Good recommendation!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
diggin Posted - 01/04/2002 : 04:07:29 AM
quote:

I think Doyle Dykes is not bad on an acoustic too....

-Jason-

yeah man, hes great. I love phil keaggy too. his beyond nature album blows me away. also, try the sounds of wood & steel comps from windham hill. theyre great. vic wooten, doyle dykes, ritchie sambora, lots of great stuff on those discs.

KevinLesko Posted - 12/29/2001 : 03:34:34 AM
I definitely 2nd Friday Night In SF, it is an amazing acoustic album.

I might also suggest the band Jackopierce. I like them a lot. They have a greatest hits cd that is called Decade. It is 2 cds with like 160 mins of music, and about 40 songs. It's one of the best values out there. Bringing on the Weather is another album of theirs I like.

MoonHawk Posted - 12/28/2001 : 7:38:12 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO!!
I'll be tring to find it all. If you think of anything else let me know.

Not to touch the earth
Fluffy Posted - 12/28/2001 : 01:25:22 AM
http://www.scotthuckabay.com/

This guy opened for us in Benbow CA. He was quite amazing. He is the closest thing style-wise to TR that I have seen. We were all quite impressed. I don't know what stuff he has out there, but he is well worth checking out if you are a TR acoustic fan!!

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
Fluffy Posted - 12/28/2001 : 01:20:26 AM
Larry Coryell(you should all check out his acoustic stuff his
electric stuff is pretty amazing as well. He has a
couple of duet acoustic albums with Phillip Catherine
that are well worth a listen)

Al DiMeola John McLaughlin Paco DeLucia "Passion Grace & Fire"
and "Friday Night in San Francisco" (these 2 albums
are amazing! 3 acoustic guitars going at it. 1 is mixed
to the left channel and 1 to the right channel and 1 in
the middle, so you can distinguish each players parts.
AMAZING We listen to these on tour alot.)

Whitley, Chris CD's
"Live at Martyrs" or "Dirt Floor" Both Solo Acoustic and a great place to start
http://www.messengerrecords.com/whitley.htm

Whitley, Chris "Perfect Day" 2000 release
This is Chris' brand new covers CD with Billy Martin and Chris Wood of Medeski, Martin & Wood backing him. It is Incredible!!! Check him out!!
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/redirect/leaf=pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/itemid=1223810/from=sr-27190-1

Chris Whitley also has a live acoustic EP called Poison Girl. It is really hard to find but well worth the look. Here is a link to his website you can check out as well.
Whitley, Chris "A Website"
Another amazing guitarist, very unique style of playing rooted in blues check it out Loads of info and links
http://chriswhitley.com/main.html

Peace & Keep the Faith
Fluffy
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/27/2001 : 9:44:53 PM
I can't believe that this wasn't the VERY FIRST thing that popped into my mind.

Leo Kottke. His is all acoustic, not effects at all. It is simply amazing stuff. Get any of it that you can.

Alex Fox. He is pretty swift on an acoustic, too, altho he plays kinda a Spanish flamenco type thing. He is really really good, too.

Tenacious D. Their album isn't straight acoustic, but there's enough in there to make me happy. Some pretty cool riffs on the acoustic in lots of the songs...most notably probably Wonderboy...then some other songs are good too...

I think Doyle Dykes is not bad on an acoustic too....

But do try Leo Kottke.

-Jason-

MoonHawk Posted - 12/27/2001 : 9:33:31 PM
Noyhing wrong with L@L College. Tim makes up for the whole DMBand. It is the best BMB album to buy. Tim is also on the new DMB album live in chicago. Tim does some great electric gutar work!!!! But I am looking for other artists that kick it up like tim on acoustic.

Not to touch the earth
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/27/2001 : 8:40:05 PM
Well, I'll probably get crucified for this, but Live at Luther College is a really obvious one.

-Jason-

MoonHawk Posted - 12/27/2001 : 8:36:08 PM
I have all the tim albums that I can get a hold of. I do like the electric stuff tim does ALOT. That is why I suggest to everyone to down load ID and ID Companion from tim's web site. It is great and thank you tim for your endless output of great music and thanks for making ID for free. Because my addiction costs me alot of money. CDs are expensive. Also check out Puke Matrix tour and Astral Projections for great tim electric!! (and some politics on Astral Projection) I am really into this acoustic solo music now ( I enjoy no singing sometimes) But I was wondering about some other acoustic music that tim reynolds fans like.
THANKS FOR THE HELP

Not to touch the earth
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/27/2001 : 8:17:50 PM
MHawk, I'm not sure I followed what you said.....are you asking us what acoustic albums you should buy *of Tim's*? Or just in general, what acoustic albums should you buy. You said "Now I have all the tim stuff."

Anywho, I'm not sure I followed...But Gossip of the Neurons would be my suggestion in a heartbeat, and you have it, so you're good to go. Second would be Nomadic Wavelength. Then Sanctuary, because it has a good mix of acoustic and electric. Well, it has electric on the first disc (mainly) and then acoustic on the second disc (mainly). So if you get Sanctuary, you can be like me, and struggle thru the electric stuff to get to the acoustic stuff, until (like me, as I mentioned) you start liking the electric stuff AT LEAST as much as the acoustic stuff. That's how Tim's electric side hit me, was thru Sanctuary.

Maybe that helped...if not, just tell me what you mean by your question....

-Jason-

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000