Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Is playing bass hard?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BigJollyGiant Posted - 12/15/2001 : 9:49:52 PM
About 4 months ago I picked up acousic, and thought bass would be pretty cool to play, but I don't know the first thing about it. Like what's a good cheap brand for begginers? Stuff like that. So any suggestions would be helpful.

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/19/2001 : 01:29:23 AM
Ok, two things. First, Fleabass, you realize, of course, that you quoted but didn't say anything, which leaves us all hanging, thinking that you have something important to say...

Secondly. I agree that bass is as hard as you want to make it. Just the same as all instruments, practically. The better you are, the more you see the intracicies of the instrument.

That's all.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
Fleabass76 Posted - 12/18/2001 : 4:48:53 PM
quote:

Oh i'm crazy allright. I live to do divebombs and shit frettless style.

Actually its not that crazy to start on frettless so long as you dont' mind straining the fuck out of your hands. The bass i'm getting has markers where the frets should be so its not like I need to worry about trivial shit like training my ear and intonation and shit like that :-)

Yeah, fretless w/ lines is very good, way easier to jump into. When I started school in fall I started playing fretless and we were doing two octave modes through all 12 keys, if i didn't have those lines, I would have had alot of work to do..well, more than i actually did...

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Isaac Posted - 12/18/2001 : 10:13:35 AM
Oh i'm crazy allright. I live to do divebombs and shit frettless style.

Actually its not that crazy to start on frettless so long as you dont' mind straining the fuck out of your hands. The bass i'm getting has markers where the frets should be so its not like I need to worry about trivial shit like training my ear and intonation and shit like that :-)

Isaac

"And when King Alexander saw the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer"
Andy86 Posted - 12/17/2001 : 5:57:44 PM
I have this original Peavy Fury bass from the 70's which they were only made for two years then they stop making them untill like three or four years ago. It's a sweet guitar. Needs alot of work but i'm in the prosses of fixing it up. Just thought I would share that.

Andy

Fleabass76 Posted - 12/17/2001 : 5:23:26 PM
I wouldn't start on a fretless though, unless you're completely craaaazy.

"People always tell you to color inside the lines, [but] who drew the lines in the first place? [Think about that.]" -Victor Wooten
Isaac Posted - 12/17/2001 : 11:19:43 AM
I've been thinking about picking up bass too. I've been listening to a lot of Oysterhead lately and I'm so completely enamored with Les Claypool. Everytime I pick up my friends bass I just slap it like crazy (sounds like shit, but damn is it fun).

I found a nice Rogue Fretless on Musicians friend I think for $150. If you really wanna start cheap go to Musicyo.com they've got Kramer started bass kits for $180 with a practice amp tuner and everything, and if you read reviews on Harmony-Central of the bass that comes with it most people say its a great bass for the money.

Hope that helps.

Isaac

Black Lotus Posted - 12/17/2001 : 09:47:32 AM
I'll second the Fender Bass ... a bit more than a Samick, but much nicer for the price. CHeck out www.musiciansfriend.com for decient prices on basses - they usually have package deals on fenders that include the gig bag, a stand, amp and cords.

-----------------------
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those that falseley believe they are free."
Andy86 Posted - 12/16/2001 : 8:55:23 PM
I think bass is as hard as you want it to be. I think the bass is the best instrument for improv. I've been playing for three years and I think from my limited experience that it's easy to learn how to play, but then it's all on how hard you want it to be. As basses for beginners just get a Fender. They're decently cheap and they're well made. You may have to upgrade the pickups once you know that that's what you want to play. Have fun.

Andy

Fleabass76 Posted - 12/15/2001 : 10:53:46 PM
Bass is as "hard" as any other instrument. It's easy to be an average bass player, but the more you learn and listen about theory and different styles, the more doors open and the more complicated it gets. Some cheap brands are Squire and Samick. They're decent for beginners. I'd say get lessons or get a book that teaches you to read music as well as learn the names of the notes and stuff. If there's TAB in it, cross it out-seriously. You will depend on the tab and it will suck. TAB is stupid because there's no rythmic element. Rythm is paramount to the bass. Hope that helps.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000