Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 My New Purchase

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 10:49:57 AM
I wanted to spread the good news that my wife and I just got a new car yesterday. It's a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid. It replaced my very in need of replacing '95 Monte Carlo. We're very excited about it being a lower emission vehicle and of course we can't wait to see it start paying off at the pump!

17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LizT Posted - 04/02/2007 : 8:42:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess we need to try them out.
Arthen Posted - 03/30/2007 : 02:19:08 AM
I'm 6'4" and I rock the Honda Civic. I find there's more room in the driver's seat typically, but I can make do in the passenger side. I go on a decent amount of road trips to.

I'm a Honda devotee for life.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/29/2007 : 11:07:42 PM
I find it pretty roomy, but I'm fairly short. Japanese cars are not made for tall people ;)
LizT Posted - 03/29/2007 : 9:07:38 PM
Congrats on the new car. I have a bottomless pit gas hog durango. I'm thinking about trading it in. How roomy is the hybrid? My other half is 6ft 4in and he didn't fit very well in the civic I had a few years ago.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/26/2007 : 09:20:17 AM
Just to echo Kevin's sentiment, I urge everyone to watch "Who Killed the Electric Car?" I thought I new a bit about hybrid vehicles till I saw that. GM and the gov in cohoots? What a surprise!
Ranting Thespian Posted - 03/26/2007 : 12:47:24 AM
Why must you flock your good fortunes in my face! Nah, seriously, congrats. My car will surely die within 2 weeks (not joking here). My parents are giving me a little money to buy another little cheap piece of crap car. Hurray to the lower middle class with a son with tons of health problems. Sigh, oh well, at least I got my guitars .
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 3:32:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

That's awesome, I recently watched that movie "The Death of the Electric Car" and it was pretty interesting. Considering that starting Monday, I'll be making an hour long commute into LA each day, I'm jealous.

Yeah, I have about a 20-25 minute drive each way to work, with an additional drive to class on Mondays and Thursdays. It's not a real long way, but I was filling up my Monte Carlo probably every 5-6 days. This car should be great for road trips too. Less gas money in the budget for sure.
KevinLesko Posted - 03/24/2007 : 3:30:52 PM
That's awesome, I recently watched that movie "The Death of the Electric Car" and it was pretty interesting. Considering that starting Monday, I'll be making an hour long commute into LA each day, I'm jealous.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 3:30:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rubylith

Does it have those magnetic brakes?

I'm not sure about that, but I know that there is something about the braking system that actually uses the momentum of the car during deceleration to help charge the battery. The power for the braking system also comes partially from the regular traditional braking system and the electric motor.

One thing I can say is that the brakes in this car are extremely good. When I first got in it I felt like I was in driver's ed again. I'm used to having to step practically all the way to the floor in my Monte Carlo and this car requires the slightest tap on the brake pedal to stop if you're coasting.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 3:20:01 PM
Honda claims that the life of the battery is designed to be as long as the life of the car (or 10 years), but these cars haven't been around for 10 years so I don't see how they can really say that.

Yeah, there is a tax credit for buying a Hybrid. Toyota sold their 60,000th hybrid vehicle last year, so the tax credit on those is decreasing each quarter by 25%. Honda hasn't sold 60,000 yet, and I'm not sure what the credit will be when we file next year. My wife did say that she did our taxes on Turbotax as if we already owned the Hybrid in 2006, just to see what it would be, and it doubled our refund. So that is definitely a perk too!
rubylith Posted - 03/24/2007 : 3:16:16 PM
Does it have those magnetic brakes?
jsemon2 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 2:40:23 PM
and you will get a tax break of some sort correct?
Arthen Posted - 03/24/2007 : 2:23:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

I wondered about the battery life myself, so I asked about different warranties they offered. I usually shy away from a warranty other than the included factory one because I think they are a rip off, but they gave me a 3 page packet listing everything this warranty covered, and I couldn't turn it down. The warranty we bought was about $1,500 on top of the price, which translated to another $10 a month on the payment, but the battery replacement would be far above that if and when that is necessary.

So how long?

I ask because with hybrids, I was wondering if one is going to see an increase of waste in terms of batteries, how recyclable they are, etc.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 2:01:08 PM
I wondered about the battery life myself, so I asked about different warranties they offered. I usually shy away from a warranty other than the included factory one because I think they are a rip off, but they gave me a 3 page packet listing everything this warranty covered, and I couldn't turn it down. The warranty we bought was about $1,500 on top of the price, which translated to another $10 a month on the payment, but the battery replacement would be far above that if and when that is necessary.
Arthen Posted - 03/24/2007 : 1:39:30 PM
How long do the batteries in the hybrids last? Or energy cells or whatever they are?

Congrats on the new car, I'm a honda fanatic. I'm rolling around on my '95 Honda Civic lx bitches.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/24/2007 : 12:29:48 PM
Yeah, our goal is to pay this one off in a couple years and then get another Hybrid, most likely a Prius because I love the style and they get about 10 MPG more than the Civic. That is, according to the EPA which is never what you actually get.
PJK Posted - 03/24/2007 : 12:08:09 PM
Congratulations! Nice car. My sister has a toyota hybrid and loves it.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000