Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 On 300...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:15:45 PM
Well, as some of you may know, I study history working towards my bachelor's, and I pretty much want to be a history professor one day. With that...

300 is a pretty good movie, maybe even great. It is not historically accurate in a number of regards. At times it sounds like a mouthpiece for pro-American platforms and policies and other times it is mystical, being more fantasy than anything else. This is partially why, in my opinion the movie is so great.

I sat down expecting for all of the above things to bother me, but they didn't. I've read Herodotus, I've studied the Persian War in great detail, I've looked at a number of other ancient sources regarding Spartan life and culture, and yet I was not bothered. I looked at 300 in the cultural context of the film, and it is the equivelent of sitting around a campfire in ancient Greece, listening to a storyteller describe the battle of Thermopylae. It is very mythological, and in that sense the movie is perfect. Myths have chiseled and defined heroes, facing hordes of foes and monsters. Myths have tales of corruption and made up speeches on such ideals as freedom and honor (in this case, the ancient Greeks would have described such events as fighting for freedom, so in that regard please don't say the film is promoting George Bush, et al.). The film has pretty solid acting, pretty decent writing (some of it is cheesy, but necessary I'd say), amazing effects and is very pleasing to the eye. There is quite a bit of violence, but again, this is along the tone of an epic, of a myth, where such violence would have been included and, perhaps, even promoted. In similar terms, it is very Homeric.

I think it is worth checking out. It was filmed in the same style as Sin City, and it has been a while since I saw that movie, but from what I can remember, I'd say I enjoyed this more. Plus, if that's not enough, it has Faramir (David Wenham) from Lord of the Rings!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dan p. Posted - 03/14/2007 : 12:12:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

I dig it too, if it weren't a clear indicator of our dying planet.

it's mid-march. this type of weather isn't that weird. i'd be with you if this was still january or february, though.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/14/2007 : 02:19:45 AM
I dig it too, if it weren't a clear indicator of our dying planet.
dan p. Posted - 03/13/2007 : 7:10:37 PM
it really has been nice these past couple days. i digs it.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 5:01:35 PM
Ha! I thought you'd like that. Man, typically I'm full of hate, but it's a beautiful day and I'm feeling pretty damn good. Wooo! Global warming's a god send, I can get a great tan outside in the middle of March!
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:57:42 PM
hahaha. impressive. most impressive.

much anger i sensed in you. like your father.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:55:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

psh. the man is clearly a jedi who has not yet learned from his training. a true sith lord would see spite as an end in and of itself.

Was I no different when you trained me?
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:53:15 PM
psh. the man is clearly a jedi who has not yet learned from his training. a true sith lord would see spite as an end in and of itself.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:49:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hopeful Rolling Waves

I hate cursive, and I hate all of you.

Just watched This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated today. Now that's a movie.

God, I'd be lying if I didn't say I enjoy the immense amount of spite within you HRW. You'd be a wonderful Sith lord, my friend.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:47:34 PM
I hate cursive, and I hate all of you.

Just watched This Film Has Not Yet Been Rated today. Now that's a movie.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:21:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

i could tell from the trailers (i haven't seen the movie yet) that the take was going to be less historical and more mythological. it seems like they made a movie, like you said, out of a tale communicated by oral tradition, complete with embellishments, exaggerations and mythology.

Dead on right. And I thought it worked wonderfully, it really takes you away and puts you into that realm. It's an epic, maybe not in length, but in look and tone.
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:19:09 PM
i could tell from the trailers (i haven't seen the movie yet) that the take was going to be less historical and more mythological. it seems like they made a movie, like you said, out of a tale communicated by oral tradition, complete with embellishments, exaggerations and mythology.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000