Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 New York Bans The Word Nigger

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erich Posted - 03/01/2007 : 5:15:24 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070301/music_nm/newyork_word_dc

quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York City symbolically banned use of the word nigger on Wednesday, the latest step in a campaign that hopes to expunge the most vile of racial slurs from hip hop music and television.

discuss.
77   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tericee Posted - 03/20/2007 : 7:08:02 PM
So if the "n" word is illegal in New York, does that mean that nobody's allowed to use Gizoogle?

http://www.gizoogle.com/

I did a search on my own name and it found some of my way out of date web pages with the following "translations":

Tizzy Playa: My Friends
SOAPBOX | LIFE | BACKGROUND | FRIENDS | Pizzle | LINKS | HTML ADVICE · Made wit a Mac! Last Updated: 5 August 2001. teri@alum.mit.edu.
members.aol.com/tericee/friends.html - 19k
Cached - Similar Pages - View Normally

Teri Crazy Ass Nigga: My Links
Soapbox | life | background | niggaz | pizzy | html advice · made witta mac straight from long beach nigga! last updated . It's your homie snoop dogg from the dpg: 23 miznarch 1998 but real niggaz don't give a fuck. teri@alum.mit.edu.
members.aol.com/tericee/links.html - 12k

Teri Playa: My Life
My Life. I used ta have time ta update this page when I was liv'n near Los Angeles, in Redondo Beach, CA. In 2003, I moved ta Germany n hizzy been too ...
members.aol.com/tericee/life.html - 11k

Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/20/2007 : 12:56:00 AM
The Good, the Bad, and the Queen.
dan p. Posted - 03/19/2007 : 10:34:02 AM
like an artist because of the music he or she creates, not based on if they're signed to a big label or appear on tv shows. music is sound, not a contract, tv appearence or political point of view.

i swear to god, i'll never understand it. in addition to be completely irrelevent as regards the music being created, "selling out" doesn't really mean anything. when does an artist "sell out?" the point at which a band "sells out" differs from person to person. but usually when someone says "[artist] sold out!" they're just bitching because they don't like the music anymore. or they're bitching because other people started liking the band and that makes both the band and people who like them less cool.

you could say something like "oh, well, an artist sells out when they place making money over making music." ok. the problem there is that by saying a band or artist sold out, by that definition, you're presuming that a) you know the band's motive for doing whatever it is that displeased you, and b) you can discern the difference between someone changining something about their music because they want to move in a new artistic direction and something doing so for money. a is never true and b is rarely true. suppose the band or artist just likes the style they're now doing?

if you like a musician for any other reason than the music they create, i'm not entirely sure why you listen to music.
Arthen Posted - 03/19/2007 : 03:08:25 AM
I Am a Sell Out implies that they, at one time, were not sold.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 03/19/2007 : 03:02:51 AM
I typicaly liked Jewel, but someone said to me that she recently was a guest judge on I Am A Sell Out, I mean American Idol. So I don't know what to think of her right now.

No wait, it is called I Am A Sell Out, my mistake.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/16/2007 : 2:21:22 PM
Jewel? She has a nice rack.
dan p. Posted - 03/16/2007 : 2:08:28 PM
you listen to jewel. go back to sipping sherry and painting your toenails.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/16/2007 : 1:42:04 PM
You two really pussied out.
Arthen Posted - 03/15/2007 : 1:21:04 PM
Dueling's legal in Paraguay, I believe. That's a practice I can support.
Infant Eyes Posted - 03/15/2007 : 1:02:14 PM
Hey I'm definitely not up for holding a grudge. I will now be more careful when delivering my ideas especially when critical. I should add that your other similarity with south park is that you are often pretty damn funny.
dan p. Posted - 03/15/2007 : 12:29:10 PM
what offended me wasn't so much that you said i have a similar style, or attitude i guess would be more apt, to south park, or even that i shouldn't bitch because i do the same sort of thing. had you just said that, i would have only pointed out that south park is preachy while trying to be funny, whereas i'm just an asshole who isn't preaching anything in particular. what offended me was the underlying message, which may not have been intentional, that i somehow don't contribute to serious discussion other than meaningless semantics (no such thing) and that the topics i do contribute to are trivial. that in turn implied a certain amount of arrogance on your part, which you've said you didn't intend, and i see no reason not to believe you. what i was responding to was not your assertion that i am like south park, but the perceived arrogance and trivialization of things i do talk about. i assure you, i can handle criticism just fine, or i wouldn't be so critical myself. it was the delivery and implied attitude and messages that got me. in respose to your statement that my style is similar to south park's: yeah, on some levels, you're right.

i see no point in dragging this on any further, do you? as much as i like a good grudge, internet grudges are so unsatisfying. how's about we just move on? welcome to the boards. it's really not so bad here.
Infant Eyes Posted - 03/15/2007 : 11:36:17 AM
Why not crusade against democrats and republicans? I think about every other party opposed the war. Libertarians may not have opposed the war outright in principle so much, but they would have just let the oil companies that lobbied for the war pay for it and hire their own private soldiers to do their bidding. It would be kind of like black water now, but without the tax payer picking up the bill.
Arthen Posted - 03/15/2007 : 03:07:44 AM
Can't we just try to kill them all, like during the Crusades?

Infant Eyes Posted - 03/15/2007 : 02:11:11 AM
I was busy so sorry for the delay in making it back to respond to all this. I didn't mean to be arrogant, but it did come off that way. Dan I know you care about stuff outside of literature and video games, especially as you pointed out yourself, music. However, before this post ever came up I remember thinking to myself that you must be a south park fan because you seem to have a similar style. I've lurked for a while. You seemed to take a lot of offense to me just pointing out that you do the same thing as south park. My bad, I don't know you and I'm not trying to pass some high and mighty judgment on you as a person, but I just thought I'd critique you since you seem to have given a fair amount of critiques yourself. However it just seemed to me your critique of south park complained about the same thing you do. Thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, Iraq has now had a complete reconstruction of it's oil infrastructure. The basic way it works is that now Iraq has a board of people who have been appointed to regulate not only production, but more importantly the monetary policy. So who sits on this board? Only executives from most of the major oil companies. Now of course there is a nice propaganda campaign going on in Iraq to ensure the people that this "foreign investment" will bring wealth to the community. It's the really just a confirmation that the US is and will do anything to ensure it's geo-political agenda.

Iraq is screwed up beyond belief. I think we need a secular Sunni who would keep the kurds from rebelling and keep the Shiite's down and keep a balance of power in the area.

Oh wait, that was Saddam Hussein. Maybe that's why General Zinni warned not to take him out of power or we'd have a nice little quagmire on our hands. Of course Iraq is going to look like a walk in the park if we grant Isreal the ability to use Iraq's airspace to bomb Iran, which of course is being negotiated now.

Of course we the american people could stop being so apathetic to politics and the world around us or we can continue to be part of the problem. It really sounds like an either or argument, but I really believe that you can ignore politics but it won't ignore you.
Arthen Posted - 03/14/2007 : 6:04:02 PM
Ha ha ha. God, we're all going to hell.
dan p. Posted - 03/14/2007 : 4:29:55 PM
no, no. it's just likely that he has to look up a ton of information on the subjects he brought up but didn't talk about. then he also has to find more topics to mention but not discuss. assuming he does other things too, it could be a while.

or maybe he isn't done jerking off to his last post yet.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/14/2007 : 3:23:29 PM
Or maybe that burst of self-righteousness was all he could muster.
dan p. Posted - 03/14/2007 : 2:21:36 PM
it's only been a day or two. maybe he's busy or something. or maybe he knows he lost doesn't want to dig that hole even deeper.
Arthen Posted - 03/14/2007 : 2:15:57 PM
I think IF has gone, I'll refrain from using words like flee and run. Dan can probably make use of those.
Robin Posted - 03/14/2007 : 1:31:13 PM
Wittiest, quippiest (Yeah that's right, I make up my own words)thread EVER! Diet Spite, I love it,and Dan you would absolutely have to write the quips on the bottle caps LOL, made my day guys, Peace, Robin
Arthen Posted - 03/14/2007 : 12:35:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

yeah, and you could have advertise a contest on the bottle, saying "your chance to win $10,000! just look under the bottle cap." they'd look under the bottle cap and it would always say something like "i slept with your wife."

Ha ha ha. Just like the Magic Hate Ball! Yes!
dan p. Posted - 03/14/2007 : 12:15:27 PM
yeah, and you could have advertise a contest on the bottle, saying "your chance to win $10,000! just look under the bottle cap." they'd look under the bottle cap and it would always say something like "i slept with your wife."
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/14/2007 : 02:22:46 AM
Diet Spite would be even better because it would be chocked full of aspartame, a real badass moherfucker.

Let's hope IF doesn't wuss out; I'd like to see this continue.
dan p. Posted - 03/13/2007 : 7:08:56 PM
smart assholes invariably give themselves more credit than they deserve. arrogance is fine, insofar as you've earned it. conductors are usually a good example of this.
jsemon2 Posted - 03/12/2007 : 5:24:50 PM
yeah, i am....
sciphish Posted - 03/12/2007 : 5:23:04 PM
Is someone bitter?
Erich Posted - 03/12/2007 : 5:01:12 PM
quote:

see, i'm smart, too! i'm just not an asshole about it.

Smart assholes are more than welcome in my book.
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:58:52 PM
the point of jolt, as far as i can tell, is that it is terrible for you in every way. having i a diet jolt would be like selling guns with no triggers.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:54:51 PM
quote:

yes, but what about a diet soft drink? "diet spite" just doesn't have the same sort of ring.

We don't need a diet. There's no diet Jolt, as far as I'm aware.
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:51:05 PM
yes, but what about a diet soft drink? "diet spite" just doesn't have the same sort of ring.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:44:15 PM
quote:

if he stuck around to fight, then yeah, that's pretty funny. but if he never replies, just sort of hit and run, that's less like humor and more like cowardice. but give it time. he only just posted.

also, just so you know, it's entirely possible that i know this person and this is her way to fight me. at any given time, i have a good 3 or 4 long standing fights happening at once with former friends. grudges are awesome.

I prefer the phrase "blood vendetta" myself.

If I made a soft drink, it'd be called "Spite": "Obey your rage."
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:27:25 PM
if he stuck around to fight, then yeah, that's pretty funny. but if he never replies, just sort of hit and run, that's less like humor and more like cowardice. but give it time. he only just posted.

also, just so you know, it's entirely possible that i know this person and this is her way to fight me. at any given time, i have a good 3 or 4 long standing fights happening at once with former friends. grudges are awesome.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:23:29 PM
quote:

yeah, that's possible. it's just really strange that he'd come out just to yell at me. if he read a lot of my posts, though, he would have known that music is something i take more seriously than the other two. of course, it's possible he's just an angry south park whose dander has been raised to an unacceptable level because some asshole on the internet made fun of his favorite show, and took to the time to look at maybe 10 of my posts. or even less. he could have just read the thread wherein i discuss why i harp on language, and the jokes about wizards and neo-metal.

True. It wouldn't surprise me if someone came out just to yell at you. It's pretty funny actually...ha ha ha.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:15:01 PM
A reply is greatly anticipated.
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:13:39 PM
yeah, that's possible. it's just really strange that he'd come out just to yell at me. if he read a lot of my posts, though, he would have known that music is something i take more seriously than the other two. of course, it's possible he's just an angry south park whose dander has been raised to an unacceptable level because some asshole on the internet made fun of his favorite show, and took to the time to look at maybe 10 of my posts. or even less. he could have just read the thread wherein i discuss why i harp on language, and the jokes about wizards and neo-metal.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:05:48 PM
Fine counterpoint, Dan.
Arthen Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:05:05 PM
From the post, Infant Eyes sounds like they've read a lot of your posts Dan, so they could be a lurker that decided to come out of the woodwork. You drew them out of hiding Dan.
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 4:00:19 PM
also, infant eyes, you've implied that the things i discuss seriously, literature, video games and music (which you forgot to mention because you actually haven't looked at "90 percent" of my posts) are somehow less important as compared to the things about which you care. the fallacy there is that just because you care about it doesn't make it more worthy a topic for conversation. maybe you're too good for video games and literature, or whatever, but that's just because of your staggering arrogance, not because one topic is less important than another.

you see, in the world, people care about all different types of things, and they don't all necessarily coincide with your interests. that doesn't mean you get to whine about it, and it doesn't mean you're smarter than them. i suggest you change your fucking tone if don't want to sound like some high school kid who thinks too highly of himself. also, just for a heads up, if it seems like i care more about music than complicated political topics, it's because i have a degree in music. and if it seems like i care more about language and literature, it's because i'm about 5 inches away from a degree in english. see, i'm smart, too! i'm just not an asshole about it.
dan p. Posted - 03/12/2007 : 3:43:30 PM
i see, infant eyes. considering that you've been a member of this board for a grand total of one fucking day, as opposed to the years pretty much everyone else has been here, i'm sure they have a good idea of what my posts are like without the help or suggestions of a high-handed prick (you.)

but you caught me, you really did. i argue semantics a lot, and that's wrong. because why pay attention to what the words you say actually mean? right? being careful with language is a waste of time. i'm melting! jackass.

the reason i don't "offer solutions" is because i don't have any. but the funny thing is, you don't either. and if you do, why are you wasting time on an internet message board when you could be out saving the world! they need bright, intelligent people like you to use their "intellectual powers" to better society, or at least come off as an insufferable elitist fuck and attack a stranger for no reason. i'd like to point out that while my posts don't measure up to your standard (which is completely meaningless) so far all you've done is bitched about me and brought up a couple of issues which you did not go into detail about at all. maybe actually contribute to the board before complaining about someone else's posts.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/12/2007 : 11:53:30 AM
Patience and a Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. PepperĀ® enema.
sciphish Posted - 03/12/2007 : 04:15:28 AM
So what do we do?

I think that question is very difficult to answer. Honestly no one knows. Never in human history has there been a time to just flow and live at peace. That is because, I believe, humans fulfill there own pessimistic prophecy. I know I've always heard the saying, "Life isn't fair." If everyone would seriously come to realize that what's fair and what's right are all a matter of perspective.

The only thing we can do as people of society is live "good" lives and pass on the message. Hopefully we are living in a hell our children will never see(hopefully). Mostly it's just patience. That's what the world needs.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/12/2007 : 03:14:10 AM
To be honest, sciphish, while I believe there is an argument for a secret society established within the power structure of ours and other governments; the fact stands that whether or not these freaks wear robes and worship Molok is moot. The real issue is that the people in charge no longer have a sense of checks and balances when it comes to killing thousands of people and handing out billions to undeserving contractors to kill those people. Whether they do it in the name of the Dark Lord or out of greed or ignorance, they are doing it; and that's the bottom line 'cause Stone Cold said so.
sciphish Posted - 03/12/2007 : 02:18:34 AM
Dare I say Illuminati?
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/11/2007 : 8:58:34 PM
ZINGER!

Infant Eyes, your silence precedes you. Another voice of reason, oi oi! Bill Clinton's China-whoring exploits certainly go vastly unquestioned. The flood gates have been opened in Iraq for our special brand of militant capitalism, screwing the economy into a quagmire of millions in useless garbage from China and 60% or so unemployment. And the Zionists maniacs in office? Forget about it.

Any chance the U.S. had to do something positive in Iraq, for the people of Iraq, was thrown out the window with the introduction of Chalabi and Bremer into the mix...and here we are.
Infant Eyes Posted - 03/11/2007 : 6:59:38 PM
quote:

i tell you what, i'll give you the trey parker and matt stone's opinion on any current hot button issue. they over-simplify both sides of an issue and then say both those sides are wrong. wow! how insightful! boring.

So it's pretty much like every single post you make on almost any topic not involved with video games or fantasy literature. That and you like south park almost never offer solutions. That or you use a semantic argument which adds nothing to the debate or towards helping people understand complex phenomena. You probably will contest this, but people should go read all dan's posts on previous topics and you might find that this is about 90% right.

As far as banning a word, it can join anti flag burning laws as wasted legislation. The only way to eradicate racist behavior is with education. I would say most people on this board are not racist along with most of the people I'm acquainted with. The reason why is because people have been exposed to the knowledge that people are equal. Racism feeds on ignorance.

I think we could better use our intellectual powers to discuss things that mean something to people. Like MNC's infiltrating and taking over our government. Like what free trade in conjunction with the US selling bonds to china is doing to our economy, and how the military industrial complex is ripping apart our democracy and causing the country to be hated around the world.

Anyone hear about the new Iraq oil laws? That's something to discuss.
sciphish Posted - 03/11/2007 : 4:41:50 PM
Hopeful I agree. BTW for anyone that LIKES South Park.
Check this website out. http://cartman-2000.ath.cx/html/
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/11/2007 : 01:21:57 AM
Fine, but when your licks are based solely on how much delay you use, it gets a bit tired.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 03/11/2007 : 01:16:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen
. . . are we not talking about the guitarist for U2?

He's the reson why I like U2. I think he's a gret guitarist, and a good showman who doesn't do "showy cock rock". I like his style too, shirt, pants, stocking cap! lol
Arthen Posted - 03/10/2007 : 1:10:32 PM
I hate The Edge.

...oh...are we not talking about the guitarist for U2?
dan p. Posted - 03/09/2007 : 10:41:06 PM
i broke my edge.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/09/2007 : 8:25:01 PM
We're losing our edge, people.
Arthen Posted - 03/09/2007 : 4:46:12 PM
quote:

no, i'm not upset because a show made fun some book i like. i'm not 12. actually, the lord of the rings episode was hilarious. and i don't play world of warcraft, but that episode was alright, too. i also liked how they made fun of bonaroo or whatever hippy music fest it was. cartman's plan to play slayer in order to disperse the hippies was awesome.

Ha ha. Yes, yes it was. And don't worry, I wouldn't really expect you to get mad over things like that. I loved the Satan's Sweet Sixteenth birthday party. Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls...
dan p. Posted - 03/09/2007 : 4:39:37 PM
no, i'm not upset because a show made fun some book i like. i'm not 12. actually, the lord of the rings episode was hilarious. and i don't play world of warcraft, but that episode was alright, too. i also liked how they made fun of bonaroo or whatever hippy music fest it was. cartman's plan to play slayer in order to disperse the hippies was awesome.
Arthen Posted - 03/09/2007 : 04:54:04 AM
quote:

south park needs to spend less time preaching and more time swearing. that's the only reason they're famous. every time i watch, i sit there waiting for trey parker to shit another opinion onto my tv screen. it's the sword that dangles over the viewer, thread frayed and giving. i tell you what, i'll give you the trey parker and matt stone's opinion on any current hot button issue. they over-simplify both sides of an issue and then say both those sides are wrong. wow! how insightful! boring.

Are you sure it's not because they made fun of LOTR and World of Warcraft? I'm sure they've made fun of metal at one time or another too...

Ha ha, seriously though, I like that they put those kinds of things out there to be laughed at. If you can't laugh at things, you get too serious and have strokes.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 03/09/2007 : 03:14:32 AM
can we ban the word bling? I want to punch everyone who ever has used the term bling or bling-bling.
dan p. Posted - 03/08/2007 : 8:58:55 PM
south park needs to spend less time preaching and more time swearing. that's the only reason they're famous. every time i watch, i sit there waiting for trey parker to shit another opinion onto my tv screen. it's the sword that dangles over the viewer, thread frayed and giving. i tell you what, i'll give you the trey parker and matt stone's opinion on any current hot button issue. they over-simplify both sides of an issue and then say both those sides are wrong. wow! how insightful! boring.
jsemon2 Posted - 03/08/2007 : 10:53:05 AM
gotta love southpark. they addressed this in the season premiere last night.
dan p. Posted - 03/06/2007 : 8:33:47 PM
absolutely you can punch more than one person. also, be spiteful. if everyone you come into contact with isn't feeling bad about themselves and the world around them, it's your fault.
Arthen Posted - 03/06/2007 : 8:14:11 PM
quote:

don't ban violence. violence is awesome. in fact, if you're any kind of decent person, go out right now and punch someone in the face.

I'm having a particularly bad week, can I punch more than one?
dan p. Posted - 03/06/2007 : 7:41:12 PM
don't ban violence. violence is awesome. in fact, if you're any kind of decent person, go out right now and punch someone in the face.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 03/03/2007 : 11:14:27 AM
Sounds like a load of shit to me. Another smoke screen that 'something' is being done about racism. Words are inert to anyone with half a brain, and it's gonna take a whole lot more than banning the word 'nigger' to aleviate the horrible, deep-rooted, racist behavior in this country. Ban mysogyny and general violence too. Ban hateful thought. Gimme a break.

Check out a documentary called 'The N-Word' for more insight.

This has been Jared Susney, reporting from Portland, Oregon.
rubylith Posted - 03/03/2007 : 04:06:01 AM
Don't worry... the best yas yet to come.
Ranting Thespian Posted - 03/03/2007 : 03:52:04 AM
Why can't our government use their time and money (that we pay) for something useful? I'm all against the N word, but this is madness.
Arthen Posted - 03/02/2007 : 7:28:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Robin

maybe will be put away, Far far away in some obscure location where words and negativiaty go to die...

You mean Utah?
tericee Posted - 03/02/2007 : 5:56:18 PM
I agree Robin. That's why I liked what the American in Malawi had to say. He's starting the change with himself and encouraging others to join in.
Robin Posted - 03/02/2007 : 5:43:29 PM
Banning a word,and banning in general seems fairly ineffective. I'd like to think that by encouraging people to not use that word it will have a ripple effect and maybe will be put away, Far far away in some obscure location where words and negativiaty go to die...Keep a good thought,Peace, Robin
dan p. Posted - 03/02/2007 : 11:48:06 AM
oh shit. i forgot about dre.
gnome44 Posted - 03/02/2007 : 10:34:37 AM
In the first picture...the chick's eyes are about to water. Yikes! And look at the tendons on her neck...she's a trooper!
rubylith Posted - 03/02/2007 : 10:31:49 AM
As Jello Biafra would say..."BAN EVERYTHING!"
AGirlNamedPsycho Posted - 03/02/2007 : 10:28:36 AM
For some reason, watching all those people stuffing their faces with chocolate makes me want to yak. I guess I don't approve of gratuitous mastication anymore than I approve of using The N Word.
I couldn't read the article, but... was this law passed by a bunch of white guys? I ask because for a lot of people of color, white guilt is seen to be just as bad as any other form of prejudice; if that's the motivation here then the whole thing's even more of a wash.
Didn't Dr. Dre say he wouldn't produce another group that used the word nigga anymore? Something about the perpetuation of a negative image in the music... if motherfucking Dre won't touch it anymore, maybe the signs are right for a social discussion on the issue, but this political discussion is a non-answer.
Besides, if you outlaw the word nigger, you have to start doing something about wop, cracker, spick, and all the other ones that I can never remember. What makes nigger so bloody special that it gets its own law? It's about time we crack down on gouk and um.... honky... actually honky can stay. I think honky is funny. It reminds me of those guys from Sesame Street.
tericee Posted - 03/02/2007 : 04:20:47 AM
I have found it interesting living over here in Germany that some people have no idea that the word in question is offensive. Many people learn most of their English from MTV and its European counterparts, and rap is very popular (in this country anyway), so they hear the N word quite often. Maybe they just think it's a hip hop word and don't realize the implications?

I read an interesting article by an American who visited Malawi on a charity bike tour and found that the word is also mis-understood there: http://www.contribute2.org/email.pdf

My friend, Susan, was at the doctor's office and was offered a candy treat that had a name containing the n-word.

She was astonished and told her doctor that she should probably find a new name for the candy. Apparently some people already have, since I found the above photos on Wikipedia.de under Schokokuss which translates to chocolate kiss. Mostly you see these candies at festivals and Christmas markets, but there is a company who packages them and sells them in stores. Their brand is called Dickmann's, which most Americans find pretty funny. If you look at their ads below, you can see why...

rubylith Posted - 03/02/2007 : 02:37:41 AM
HELL YES, PERIOD.
dan p. Posted - 03/01/2007 : 8:53:36 PM
great! now instead of doing something about racism, we're going to pass a bullshit symbolic "law" where you can't use it, but if you do, you won't be punished. this is what america needs: the appearence of doing something without actually doing anything.

i punch anyone who uses the word. i'm not kidding. i've done this, and i will continue to do this. racists can't be reasoned with, they can't be talked to about why they're so stupid. they're beyond that. you just have to beat them. it's the only way.
Arthen Posted - 03/01/2007 : 8:23:01 PM
Technically there's no real ban, because there's no punishment.

Chris Rock has the right idea in that article.
jsemon2 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 6:10:41 PM
i'm a neo-nazi
rubylith Posted - 03/01/2007 : 5:50:17 PM
Now I am all for refraining from using that terrible word...but soon red shirts, brown shoes and everything else will be banned. Banning does nothing except heighten tyranny. Welcome to Nazi America...enjoy your stay.
jsemon2 Posted - 03/01/2007 : 5:28:26 PM
erich, can you email me at john@johnsemon.com

thanks.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000