Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Fractal Music

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dirtysloth Posted - 11/28/2001 : 7:28:47 PM
Anyone ever listened to this kind of music before? Music already is mathematical, but this is taking it to another level... like taking equations and making them audible. You can check some out at:

http://artists.mp3s.com/info/229/fractal_music.html

Some of it is really awful, like one song is basically nothing but static, but it's still interesting to think about the theory behind it. "Mira" and "Rossler" are cool.

There are programs to make this kind of music, such as FractMus 2000, which you can find at www.download.com. I tried it once and had little luck with it, but I thought I'd share anyway.

Peace,
Patrick

http://members.tripod.com/one4tim/index.htm
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/27/2001 : 2:43:02 PM
Baba O'Riley has other instruments and stuff, and vocals, and is a pretty kickass song. It starts out "Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals..." The synth starts the song out, and i think plays throughout the whole thing, Id have to grab the CD to know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it synth is there the whole song.

Adam

There's a lot more to music than notes on a page.

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 12/27/2001 : 2:24:12 PM
Is that just the background music or the whole song? I mean, did someone play something over that, so that it wouldn't and couldn't be completely randomly based on personal statistics or not? Or was it simply what the computer picked?

It is cool, either way. And yeah, I'd love to hear myself.

-Jason-

I am a servant of the power behind the nothing.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/27/2001 : 2:14:19 PM
I often wonder that too, just what my music, or the music of my friends and family would sound like.

Adam

I am Ion, the priest of the inner sanctuary. I submit myself to an unendurable torment. I dismembered myself, and I have become spirit.

tericee Posted - 12/27/2001 : 1:36:25 PM
I wonder what my music would sound like... I guess if I ever meet Pete Townsend, I'll have to ask him to do that for me.

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/27/2001 : 1:09:41 PM
That reminds me of this thing Pete Townshend was talking about the song Baba O'Riley. I'm sure most of you have heard that song (American Beauty is one of the movies it's been in). But if you've heard it you've heard the synthesizer stuff that beings it and backs the track....here's what Pete says about that stuff.

"This was a number I wrote when I was doing these experiments with tapes on the synthesizer. Among my plans was to take a person out of the audience and feed information--height, weight, autobiographical details--about the person into the synthesizer. The synthesizer would then select notes from the pattern of that person. It would be like translating a person into music. On this particular track (Baba O'Riley) I programmed details about the life of Meher Baba and that provided the backing for the number.

Cool Stuff.

Adam

tericee Posted - 12/27/2001 : 02:34:47 AM
I kind of liked Music from Prime Numbers. Henon and Martin sounded like they were opposite tunes, if that makes any sense.

BTW, did you see the movie "Pi?" I found it similarly interesting to think about the theory behind it.

http://www.honolulumarathon.org (I ran under that sign!)
crash258 Posted - 11/29/2001 : 11:51:40 AM
Yeah Ive studied it a little, pretty cool stuff.

Fractal music had been around for quite some time now.

Composers have been pushing the envelope, coming up with more and more ideas.

-p

dan p. Posted - 11/28/2001 : 10:04:03 PM
::stunned silence::

when you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/28/2001 : 8:10:22 PM
That was.... interesting.
-J

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000