Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Flood anyone?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fluffy Posted - 06/26/2006 : 1:57:41 PM
Well yesterday, the DC area got more rain in 1 day than it gets in a month. Keep in mind this is on the heels of 3 previous days of severe thunderstorms and the weather is forcasting 3-5 more days of it. I am not sure we can suvive lol. So last nite I went to work as usual, but this would be no ordinary nite. A few hours in we had to close the back bar because the influx of rain had caused it to flood and the water was chest deep down there. About an hour later, after the 10th band played(we had 4 more left) all the power in our grid went out including the club. We had to evacuate 1000+ people in complete darkness, try and sort our 14 bands equipment in total darkness and of course taking outside to load in torrential rain storms. Not good. It just kept raining and raining and raining. After hours of sumpumping the downstairs bar I heading home as I have to be back there today for another show but little did I know how bad ALL of DC was. Basically traffic lights were our everywhere and you couldn't see thru the rain. The police had all of Constitution Ave closed from the Capital to the Lincoln Memorial blocking the onramp to the bridge outta DC I use to go home. It was not ez getting home last nite. I saw on the news this morning that the DC area encounter mudslides, cars washing away and other crazyness I see in the news happening other places. That kinda stuff just doesn't usually happen here. It is crazy AND it's thunderstorming more as I type this. I don't think DC can handle any more rain at this point, it just has no where to go. Unfortunately, possible at least 3 more days of this. I may need to buy a boat. LOL signed: Fluffy in DC trying to keep my feet dry.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tericee Posted - 07/05/2006 : 04:51:23 AM
If I'm understanding you right, that sounds kind of cool. Having attempted to speak Spanish, German, and a little Russian and French, I'm amazed by the sounds they make that I just can't do. :(
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 07/03/2006 : 7:39:46 PM
G.isP., I teach Phonetics ( a speech science course for the audiology and speech-pathology students). I get to teach about the physical and acoustic basis of speech sounds and how they are distinguished by English speakers (and I like to dip into foreign contrasts as well). I am a dork.
I don't know Tom or Steve, sorry!

but yes, you should definitely come to the Towson, MD show!
tericee Posted - 07/03/2006 : 02:11:38 AM
Man, that sucks. My thoughts are with all of you who are flooding!

That evacuation site was funny, though.
PJK Posted - 07/01/2006 : 10:26:38 AM
Back to topic, here are some pictures people took along the East coast. http://journals.aol.com/weathernewspics/ExtremeWeather2006/
PJK Posted - 06/30/2006 : 1:29:12 PM
Since you already changed the topic, LOL, are you going to be at the MD show on the 12th gP? I might actually try to catch that one, it would be cool to meet you.

BTW, Fluffy, loved the link Keith sent you! Really funny, gotta have a sense of humor, it is what keeps us from going totally insane.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 06/30/2006 : 12:35:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JemezFoodPeople

One of my students ( I teach a course at the Univ of MD) was evacuated form her home last night at 3am. This is some seriously scary business.

what courses do you teach at MD? I'm close by, going to UMBC. Are you familiar with Tom Lagana and Steve Herberman? (sorry little change of subject)
Fluffy Posted - 06/29/2006 : 10:59:53 PM
It is definitely quite serious whats going on but there is always a lighter side, and here it is. Maybe we can learn something from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina:

http://www.howtofuckingevacuate.com/#

Thanx to Keith for sending me this. Looking forward to seeing you in C-ville(if its not underwater)
dan p. Posted - 06/29/2006 : 9:22:50 PM
a part of a highway near me broke. like a section was knocked away. truck drivers saw the water and thought it was just a big puddle. when they drove over it they fell in and died.
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 06/29/2006 : 9:19:16 PM
One of my students ( I teach a course at the Univ of MD) was evacuated form her home last night at 3am. This is some seriously scary business.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 06/29/2006 : 5:58:02 PM
dude, my basement flooded. I came home this morning to see boxes, carpet-rolls, and trinkets galore all over my garage in odd positions...drying off. My dog doesn't even like going outside anymore
Fluffy Posted - 06/29/2006 : 1:05:17 PM
We have a damn that everyone is watching very closely, it is already seeping and they are worried that it won't hold. It is in the DC suburbs of MD and the water level in the lake is 23 feet above it's normal level so if it breaks, you can only imagine what could happen. They have already evacuated the area but dumbasses are returning to their homes without permission. Well see what happens. Sounds like Wilkes-Barre PA is suffering a similar situation with the Susquehanna River. It seems to be all over. NY, NJ, PA, MD etc etc Hell, even the National Archives are flooded and shut down. They say it will be like a week before they have even partial power restored. Like I always like to say....It's the end of the world as we know it, IT'S THE END!
PJK Posted - 06/29/2006 : 08:21:56 AM
Good question about the warnings Matt. They issued flood warnings here, but kind of the same ones they do wherever we get a hard rain.

With the major rivers, the Susquehanna, Schuylkill, and Delaware all going way over their banks it's a mess. All the normal flooding places were evacuated, but these flood waters reached far beyond the normal. I remember everyone around here being in an uproar about a proposed dam on the Delaware a number of years ago, not sure if they ever built it, but they sure could have used a dam now.

I think the last reports were 12 dead from the floods.
Robin Posted - 06/28/2006 : 11:05:09 PM
It's like Central CA in February...I'm thinking of blue skies and sunshine for you soon. Stay dry and safe,Peace, Robin
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 06/28/2006 : 9:23:29 PM
oh no, not the grape!

This is really horrible... how come there were no big warnings???
rubylith Posted - 06/28/2006 : 6:25:53 PM
The Delaware river is flooding over here...some people died already t is really terrible. I was at my buddies restaraunt and the water is slowing coming up their way...It is suppossed to crest at 8pm tomorrow.
PJK Posted - 06/28/2006 : 12:18:19 PM
Matt, we are flooded here in PA too. My home is dry, thank goodness, but many are not. Grape Street Pub is flooded I think, they showed Main Street in Manyunk on the news and it was all flooded. They also showed the Brewery and people trying to save it from the flood waters. What a mess!

The Fort Washington exit of the PA turnpike was closed due to flooding. RT 309 was a river!

I heard this was a 300 year storm that came up the East coast, still not sure exactly what that means.

At least it stopped raining here! Matt and Fluffy, stay safe and dry!
PJK Posted - 06/27/2006 : 08:42:06 AM
Hey Matt, hope you got home OK.

Fluffy and Matt, I heard you got 14inches of rain in your area. A number of years ago we got 11 inches and the homes at the bottom of the street where I live were flooded and I don't live near a river, it was just from the run off from the rain. The place looked like a war zone. Cars parked on the street were moved down the hill and were every which way across the street.

Ironic I just called my sister in Houston last week because of the flooding there, now its the East coast that is getting pounded!

Stay dry and safe!
JemezFoodPeople Posted - 06/26/2006 : 7:32:45 PM
yeah last night was soooo bad. I am a half hour from DC and we got hit HARD. Right now I am in College Park dreading the drive home.

:(
PJK Posted - 06/26/2006 : 2:48:24 PM
I was just thinking about you. I saw on the noon news that DC had major flooding, they showed one parking garage in Alexandria and all the cars on the first level were flooded. They were doing some sort of test to see if this was a one hundred year storm or a five hundred year storm????? I will repeat what the reporter said "don't know what that means exactly but I'm just telling you what the contractors out here are saying."

Oh, and in that news report, the camera panned in on a fuse box in the garage, and all I could think was "why didn't they cut the power in that garage." I guess reporters don't think about getting electrocuted! Yikes!

Can't imagine getting all those people out, let alone the bands and equipment in the dark and pouring rain!

Stay safe and dry! Looks like this weather pattern isn't going anywhere any time soon!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000