Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Wanna get really angry?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rubylith Posted - 04/30/2006 : 11:17:28 AM
Look at these scum sucking piles of trash, joking about our country dieing.

(PP Comment)
Satire is supposed to expose and hold to account the corruptions and misgivings of Government, not make it look cool and hip. I'm sorry but I don't find that the chaos in Iraq with thousands of dead Iraqi civilians in an ongoing illegal war is an appropriate laughing point at a government dinner party.

Nor do I believe the President should be joking around with a sidekick partner about how the Vice President got drunk and nearly killed a man by shooting him in the face. Is this now the only way Bush can make himself look good, by playing dumb and dumber with his own comedy lookalike?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12555176/
There is a link to the nauseating video on there, you have to click on it form MSNBC.

22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arthen Posted - 05/08/2006 : 8:43:45 PM
I like to think that whoever scheduled Colbert is definitely out of a job, and probably "dissapeared." Colbert has the biggest balls on the planet, bigger than Maddox now!
spaceoddity Posted - 05/08/2006 : 8:41:37 PM
quote:
it wouldn't have differed in any way if the audience and president were democrats. why would it? the democrats get up their own ass with indignation just as much as do republicans when someone makes fun of them and their politics. i don't understand. what do you think the big difference is between the two? the democrats aren't any better at taking a joke.

I agree that it would not have been different, it would still have been just as offensive if the ketchup dude had made a mockery of things under the same circumstances.But my understanding is that this show he put on was to the PRESS and not his constituents.I do find it strange the different reception between him and Colbert with regard to the press reaction.It sounded to me that 70% laughed at his spiel and maybe 30% as far as Colbert.An most anyone who picks up a paper these days could probably tell you that the press is not real Pro W.So like I said it does seem a bit strange in the least.
Saint Jude Posted - 05/08/2006 : 01:29:47 AM
re-link of the colbert video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-869183917758574879
dan p. Posted - 05/08/2006 : 01:08:57 AM
it wouldn't have differed in any way if the audience and president were democrats. why would it? the democrats get up their own ass with indignation just as much as do republicans when someone makes fun of them and their politics. i don't understand. what do you think the big difference is between the two? the democrats aren't any better at taking a joke.
SSFH Posted - 05/07/2006 : 04:39:38 AM
The thing that got me the most was that this was supposed to be a roast of the president. The fact that the audience did not get half the stuff and that Bush was not even laughing kills me. I wonder how this would have differed if it were Kerry up there getting roasted and the Democratic party in the audience. But other than that Colbert did a fine job! I think that some of the stuff that he said went clear over Bushes head, which I loved to hear! haha
spaceoddity Posted - 05/06/2006 : 6:40:17 PM
I have no problem with laughter just the joker who is performing and the sheep that buy into it.No wonder the rest of the world thinks we're a joke.
dan p. Posted - 05/06/2006 : 12:14:53 AM
thank you, tericee. i think it's missing something, though.

ok. fuck, noe-metal, nintendo and uh. . .gandalf. there. now i feel better.
Arthen Posted - 05/05/2006 : 11:07:16 AM
If you can't laugh at life, what can you laugh at?
spaceoddity Posted - 05/05/2006 : 06:18:54 AM
i might b totally missing the gist of this whole response but im srry i gotta say it's pretty much in bad taste that our oil baron is sitting there joking about anything political given the young men and women who have lost there lives due to his meglomania.While he is sitting there laughing it up, some young man or woman is out on patrol scared for their life.Although Iraq is not mentioned the whole DICK cheney shooting is also in poor taste given the fact that the dude almost died,and I would doupt the recipient found it funny while he thought he was gonna lose his life from said blast.Life isn't a joke and given that the majority of people have not had the experience of potentially losing their lives doesn't give them a right to make a joke of those who have.
tericee Posted - 05/05/2006 : 04:59:16 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

my major point is this. i want you, and the person wrote this article/editorial to switch roles with those who weren't amused with colbert's performance. suppose a comedian did an equally scathing and well crafted skit about your political views, and about the people you admire and support. you'll forgive me for saying, but i've noticed you don't respond terribly well to that. you first post on this thread is a good enough example. you didn't think bush's whole. . .thing. . .was funny. in fact, you were downright angry with their choice of subject matter and jokes, and you called them some names. i think it's less about being afraid to laugh beause you're afraid of your "boss," in as far as non-media personell is concerned, and more about not finding it funny because it's about something you believe in. as far as the press goes, it's likely a mix of that and being afraid of your boss.

Well said!
therippa Posted - 05/04/2006 : 5:10:53 PM
ABC had their cameras trained on bush during the speech.

Here is an animated gif of his reactions...

dan p. Posted - 05/03/2006 : 11:26:39 PM
interesting article. before i go on, i would like to point that i'm a huge colbert fan. that being said, the article lacks persuasiveness. he treats "funny" as an objective thing, as if no one could reasonably deny that he and his skit was funny. fact is, funny is 100 percent subjective. certainly the whole thing was well crafted, well written and well performed. all of that is objective. but funny? subjective. i used to think funny was way more objective than it is. i realize now it isn't. but that's not even the major point i'm trying to make.

my major point is this. i want you, and the person wrote this article/editorial to switch roles with those who weren't amused with colbert's performance. suppose a comedian did an equally scathing and well crafted skit about your political views, and about the people you admire and support. you'll forgive me for saying, but i've noticed you don't respond terribly well to that. you first post on this thread is a good enough example. you didn't think bush's whole. . .thing. . .was funny. in fact, you were downright angry with their choice of subject matter and jokes, and you called them some names. i think it's less about being afraid to laugh beause you're afraid of your "boss," in as far as non-media personell is concerned, and more about not finding it funny because it's about something you believe in. as far as the press goes, it's likely a mix of that and being afraid of your boss. i think we agree on the current state of journalism. which is to say, it's god awful.
therippa Posted - 05/03/2006 : 7:14:20 PM
I've watched the speech twice already. I love Stephen Colbert, but now I can truly say he is one of my heroes.

I don't think the youtube links will work anymore (taken down because of copyright issues)

Here's a link to the transcript: http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/4/30/1441/59811?q=mx

My favorites were...

"I believe democracy is our greatest export. At least until China figures out a way to stamp it out of plastic for three cents a unit.
In fact, Ambassador Zhou Wenzhong, welcome. Your great country makes our Happy Meals possible. I said it's a celebration. I believe the government that governs best is the government that governs least. And by these standards, we have set up a fabulous government in Iraq."

"Now, I know there are some polls out there saying this man has a 32% approval rating. But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in "reality." And reality has a well-known liberal bias."
rubylith Posted - 05/03/2006 : 5:46:10 PM
Dan P. you might enjoy this...

Colbert Reaction Shows Media Are Frightened Of Bush
Another alarm bell warning that dictatorship is near

Paul Joseph Watson/Prison Planet.com | May 3 2006

It wasn't the reaction of President Bush that interested me, nor the meanderings of Fox News. The way in which the media received Stephen Colbert's act during the White House Correspondents Dinner should set alarm bells ringing about the real state of the union.

The attending press whores were frightened to laugh at Colbert because they didn't want to upset their boss, George W. Bush.

nyone with half a brain could see that Colbert's routine (watch the video) was funnier than the Bush lookalike 'dumb and dumber' skit, an over scripted painful bore that nevertheless garnered loud guffaws from the audience.

But Colbert's expertly honed Neo-Con Bush worshipping performance was met with guarded silence at many points during the keynote address.

Colbert himself made reference to this on the Monday edition of Comedy Central's The Colbert Report (video below), noting the mute response to his quip that the administration were re-arranging deck chairs on the Hindenburg.

"The crowd were ready to carry me out on their shoulders, even though I wasn't actually ready to leave," joked Colbert.

Subsequent reports on the dinner almost completely omitted Colbert's 30 minute speech, focusing instead on the 5 minute tedious two Bushes act, despite the fact that Colbert's performance was one of the most biting and revelatory satirical masterpieces in years, and Colbert had the guts to pull it all off right in front of Bush's face, an action described as "Ballsalicious" by Colbert's cohort John Stewart.

In the aftermath of the dinner reports are emerging that Bush is on the warpath. "He's got that look that he's ready to blow," one aide told US News and World Report. Those familiar with Bush's tantrums and swearing fits will not be shocked to hear that the 'Commander in Chief' has once again reverted to the behavior of a 6-year-old in the face of criticism and lack of fealty.

But if Bush is the 6-year-old with a temper problem then the media is the younger kid that he bullies. The yellow streak witnessed at Saturday's dinner mirrors the standard of journalistic integrity these whores uphold. Prostrate and kneeling before their imperial master, they once again fall in line to sell another war without end.

When a satirical routine that mocks the President is treated with hushed tones and darting glares from the very supposed guardians of free speech, it spells danger for the ability to dissent in America without being castigated as a misbehaving gadfly.

dan p. Posted - 05/02/2006 : 2:35:43 PM
who cares if he thinks it's something at can be joked about? putting aside the fact that nothing is off limits, ever, for any reason, he's an idiot. why would you concern yourself with what an idiot thinks? of course it's not going to be to your liking. he's stupid.
tericee Posted - 05/02/2006 : 06:16:15 AM
When, exactly, did President Bush joke about the war in Iraq during that video?
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 05/01/2006 : 11:16:23 PM
Dave, even your favorite radio personalities, Opie and Anthony, spent a good bit of time today being on-air disgusted by this display, and not in a humurous way, just disgusted.

The elite are the elite because of their massive egos, clearly laughing about all of the deaths and wrong reasons for WAR is reason enough to impeach a President who thinks nuclear weapons are a joke.

ARGH!
rubylith Posted - 05/01/2006 : 3:34:50 PM
I just think drinking expensive champagne and joking about a desiscion they made that led to the death of countless people is disgusting. They should be thrown in jail and never fed for what they have done....but...that would be unamerican. :)
tericee Posted - 05/01/2006 : 3:24:13 PM
I didn't think there was anything offensive about the video. (I didn't even hear him mention Iraq...) He's supposed to do something funny. If he went to the Correspondents' Dinner and was serious they'd give him shit about that.
dan p. Posted - 05/01/2006 : 2:55:52 PM
colbert is fucking hilarious.
rubylith Posted - 05/01/2006 : 07:33:24 AM
nice I was looking for a way to post that part. Colbert rules, he also torn apart William Kritsol, part of PNAC, possibly responsible for 9/11...he asked him..."So....hows that new American Century going for you, pretty good huh?"
Saint Jude Posted - 04/30/2006 : 7:13:57 PM
did anyone see steven colberts speech from the white house press corespondants dinner.

Hilaroius... rips on bush with his 10 feet away form him. Great man.

watch in this order...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1sxGj5UxI&search=white%20house%20correspondents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8vCqvIuec&search=white%20house%20correspondents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FBDPCyiFqY&search=white%20house%20correspondents

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000