Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Hunter S. THompson

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rubylith Posted - 02/21/2006 : 10:48:29 AM
9/12/2001: Hunter S. Thompson Saw It Coming

Shortly after Thompson's death, I read Hey Rube, a collection of his columns for ESPN.com. His most chilling column was the one he wrote just hours after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Thompson's prediction of what was to come was uncannily accurate.

An excerpt:

The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time, in the United States or any other country. Make no mistake about it: We are At War now--with somebody--and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives...

It will be a Religious War, a sort of Christian Jihad, fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy.
We are going to punish somebody for this attack, but just who or what will be blown to smithereens for it is hard to say. Maybe Afghanistan, maybe Pakistan or Iraq, or possibly all three at once.
This is going to be a very expensive war, and Victory is not guaranteed--for anyone, and certainly not for anyone as baffled as George W. Bush....He will declare a National Security Emergency and clamp down Hard on Everybody, no matter where they live or why. If the guilty won't hold up their hands and confess, he and the Generals will ferret them out by force.

Yet again the comments are already flooded with supportive comments for questioning the events of 9/11. It is becoming more and more obvious that 9/11 is the hot button for this administration, and deserves a real investigation.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rubylith Posted - 02/28/2006 : 3:05:05 PM
haha
dan p. Posted - 02/28/2006 : 2:55:27 PM
no need to apologize to me about judging. i do it constantly, so i can't reasonably get angry when someone does itt o me. and i think it's natural for people to judge, anyway.

strange, i thought neo-metal was what the sword of shannara was made of. hahaha. or were you referencing a specific game? if it's a war game, i'm pretty sure i'm not familiar with it. war videogames are fucking beat. in fact, i think it's safe to say i've lost all faith in the first person shooter genre. i know they're trying to better it with games like "gun" and "black," but i gotta say, i'm just not feeling it.

what would be an ideal game is a fantasy rpg game that plays neo-metal in the background.
rubylith Posted - 02/28/2006 : 10:42:50 AM
i thought neo-metal was that armor that machines have in video games that prevents a nuclear rocket from penetrating there insides.
OnlySuperstition Posted - 02/28/2006 : 09:04:20 AM
I think this is starting to become another... Radiohead sucks thread. Its nice to see how slanderous we can be to each other. Think daffodils and dandelions(sp) on a warm spring day... mmmm

guitfiddler Posted - 02/28/2006 : 12:49:26 AM
I mean no disrespect. What I meant by that is art is getting to a point where what is "cool" is lasting longer than what is "inspired". It is that mentality that kills the inspiration. Once again, I apologize. I do my best not to judge people, and I may have been guilty there.
dan p. Posted - 02/28/2006 : 12:11:38 AM
yes, your point would have validity if i had ever said i read thompson's work. i never said that. because i haven't. i tried, and i just don't like it. and before you throw shit at me, i understand that the problem is probably on my end for not liking him. my objection to people who start raving about an artist of any kind after they die, when they had been silent about it prior, is that it it cheapens the artist's work, and his life, when people jump on Dead Artist's bandwagon. it makes it seem like nothing he did mattered until he died. that it's not so much his work, but his death that makes him appreciated. i know you've all been reading him since whatever, you needn't bring it up, but let's face it: it happens. maybe it happened in this instance, maybe not. an artist dies and everyone starts loving him. if i were a great artist, and i died and then everyone loved what i did, that'd really piss me off.

killing art? what does that even mean? the attitude of some jerk who shoots off at the mouth constantly has no bearing on the creation of art, nor the people who appreciate it. there is no correlation, much less causation, between the two. if you like art, just like it. why does what anyone else say matter?

it sounds like neo-metal would be "new metal." and we already have new metal. it's called "nu-metal" and it's a total dumpster. all the best metal is bands that formed in the 80s with speed and power metal as influence, largely in europe.
guitfiddler Posted - 02/27/2006 : 11:52:52 PM
To judge anyone's life is retarded, especially when you do not know them. You like metal, video games, that's cool... it works for you. Do you feel that you are more of a "true follower" of Thompson's work because you talked about him before, does that make his work less relevant to someone who heard of him after he died? Am I somehow "less worthy" of reading it? Art was meant to be shared. If it took his death for people to hear of it, so be it. That is one more person who can benefit from his point-of-view. It is the whole "I had it first, so I am cooler than you" attitude that is killing art.

I know that this has nothing to do with me, but it needed to be said.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 02/27/2006 : 2:54:02 PM
Me neither, to be honest.
dan p. Posted - 02/27/2006 : 2:36:56 PM
i've never heard of neo-metal.
rubylith Posted - 02/26/2006 : 7:54:55 PM
ok dokie

i think it was all worth the neo-metal comment.
dan p. Posted - 02/26/2006 : 11:04:28 AM
ok. i can see not mentioning it because you stick to tr related topics.

what i was referring to, rubylith, was not that you brought up 9/11 in regards to the original subject matter of this post, to which it's perfectly relevent, but rather in defending yourself against an attack you assumed was directed at you. but for argument's sake, let's suppose that you're right, and it wasn't at all strange to bring it up. you still talk about 9/11 fucking constantly. as far as self-centeredness goes, i made an observation. "isn't weird that no one else here who thinks he's really great even mentioned him once, even in passing, prior to his dying?" "no one else" in this instance meaning "everyone but fluffy and pjk." go back and read it. you confused, in essence, everyone but fluffy and pjk with just yourself. a remarkable feat. what other conclusion can i come to? if i wanted to talk about you specifically, i would have used your name. i would have said "rubylith, you've never mentioned hunter thompson until after he died." i didn't. why? wasn't singling you out. you did that yourself.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 02/24/2006 : 2:34:00 PM
Like I said, I try to stick to TR and related music on the boards, I was just paying my respects to the late great. I thought you mentioning anything about people mentioning it was a bit myopic as well, but "Hurray for Hippocracy".

Fuck all of us with a rusty pole with laser beams shooting out of it for being so damnable! Semper fi! AHAHAHA

rubylith Posted - 02/24/2006 : 2:01:29 PM
umm.....what is this topic called?

9/12/2001: Hunter S. Thompson Saw It Coming

about Thompson's prediction on 9/11's aftermath?

So I am bringing it up?...er umm lets see...do you read what you type or no? Probably not.

And as far as me being self centered and taking the insult to myself...I DID create post...and you HAVE disagreed with me before, so I;d say that's a pretty good assumtion, not self centeredness.

Anyway, this is retarded....I honestly don't care about what you believe, if you know I have read HST or that my best friend gave me Fear and Loathing when we were way too young to even comprehend the whole thing...I don't care.

But honestly that shit about warriors and magic and "neo-metal" was the funniest shit I have read all day.
dan p. Posted - 02/24/2006 : 12:26:07 PM
thanks. you guys are real grown-ups. rubylith, i'd like to thank you for being self-centered enough to assume that my post was directed at you soley. also, it's not the fact that you make fun of videogames. see, i'm a big boy, and i don't really care that you don't like videogames. just because that's how you would respond doesn't that's how i respond. it isn't that so much as it as your attitude towards everyone and your general outlook on life that i'm opposed to. but whatever. also, great job on bringing 9/11 into the topic. you play that card more than bush.

and hrw, i like how you said you don't know what i was insinuating, but then told me to cram it with walnuts. it really demonstrates that you don't need to understand something you've read before you decide to respond to it as though you do. and really, we need more of that shooting from the hip with your eyes closed mentality. that's how to live life.

nevertheless, the fact remains that no one mentioned him before he died here. why? oh you've been reading his books for so long and you love his work, but given all the posts you've had, and all the topics his work would be relevent, you didn't even name him or his books once. so do i believe you when you say you've been reading him for this many years, and have read x number of his books, when given the chance, you don't mention him? no, not really. or maybe you have read him, but found out you really loved him after he died and everyone was talking about him. so fuck off? no, i'm good thanks.

also, to address your attacks that the only thing i care about is fantasy and metal and videogames, um. . .what can i say. i'm not going to sit here and list for you the other books i've read, sports i play, or groups i'm involved with, because long lists are boring and unlike you, i feel no compulsion to defend myself against attacks from total strangers. you want to think i just like those three things? great. what you think is irrelevent, and has no connection at all with reality.
Arthen Posted - 02/24/2006 : 11:02:27 AM
It's the most wonderful time, of the year!!!
peewee_zz Posted - 02/24/2006 : 10:52:56 AM
This entire thread is Hopeful Heresy
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 02/24/2006 : 09:56:50 AM
I am gonna get a bit defensive as well, no reason not to, you really didn't have to single anybody out by making a comment about everybody who "only" mentioned Hunter after his death.

I've been reading Hunter for about 7 years as well. Granted, I've only read 8 of his books, but a few multiple times. I don't know what you were insinuating with that rubbish post before; but you can cram it with walnuts, as I, in particular, rarely post about anything other than TR on this board; and saw the HST Eulogy thread as a good way to extend my feeling to this board on the topic.

I guess if it's not about wizards and warriors and neo-metal, it's buggerall.

So again...go fuck yourself!
OnlySuperstition Posted - 02/24/2006 : 08:35:35 AM
quite comical dave..

oh and... double hah!!
rubylith Posted - 02/24/2006 : 07:51:19 AM
wow.....anyway....

not that anyone owes you this, or that it even matters, but I have been reading his books since I was 15 or so.

Does that make me cool to your standards now, am I hip?

I know what you mean how some people will try and live through someone elses death to have something to talk about. I know a ton of people who did it with 9/11.

"My ex-roomates old friends cousins father in law died in attacks, I am so sad, I cannot go on!"...

That would be an example...

Anyway, I am assuming that shot was aimed at me, since you don't like me because I made fun of video games and tv and that makes you uncomfortable since you enjoy both of those activities...I just wanna say...

FUCK OFF

HAH!

dan p. Posted - 02/23/2006 : 9:49:48 PM
no need to get defensive, broseph. if i wanted to single you out, i would have used your name. i would have said "onlysupersition, you've never mentioned him before now." instead i pointed out that no one has, outside of fluffy and pjk. no need to thank me for my input. you'll be getting it anyway.
OnlySuperstition Posted - 02/23/2006 : 4:42:04 PM
i never claimed to be into him. I jsut said it was interesting. I have know about him for quite some time, but dont have a ton of interest. No reason to point fingers. were all posers in some way shape or form. This whole country is full of bandwagoners. so thanks for your input Dan...

enjoy your day all TR next week............... yippieeeee
dan p. Posted - 02/23/2006 : 3:07:49 PM
yeah. i did a search of this board for hunter h thompson. turns out fluffy was the only one to so much as mention his name until his death. i think maybe pjk and someone else mentioned him once. and then he came up in an interview with tim reynolds. isn't that weird? isn't weird that no one else here who thinks he's really great even mentioned him once, even in passing, prior to his dying?
OnlySuperstition Posted - 02/23/2006 : 12:29:22 PM
10 bucks from amazon.com nevermind. so they are primarily sports related? I would appreciate all his insight but im not sure i f i'd be into it
OnlySuperstition Posted - 02/23/2006 : 12:21:34 PM
that was pretty intuative. where did you get the book?
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 02/23/2006 : 10:10:46 AM
HST saw the worst of it his entire life. The man knew what was going on. This is why we love him.
dan p. Posted - 02/21/2006 : 3:10:24 PM
just vague enough to be flawless.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 02/21/2006 : 1:20:12 PM
Yeah he was a real Nostradamus....

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000