Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Living off the Grid

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JoshMartin Posted - 02/15/2006 : 3:36:03 PM
While doing my taxes I was curious as to what I paid the electric company in 2005. ...yup...it made me want to vomit.

In return .....it has inspired me to research renewable energy. To make a very long story short....I have a few people coming out to give me some ideas and quotes for converting my house over to solar/ wind generated power.

Has anyone looked into this? ..Or maybe live in a self sufficient home?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Robin Posted - 02/16/2006 : 12:31:12 PM
There's also a company called "Real Goods" and they put out a catalog. They're really helpful and available to talk with you on the phone. They someTIMes have used solar panels available, and will put you in touch with college students in your area,(as long as there's a solar program there), to help with any installation etc. A good friend of mine put in solar panels, and a solar hot water heater. It won't pay for itself for awhile, but seeing the meter running backwards and getting credit on the utility bill is so worth it.Good luck, Peace, Robin
tericee Posted - 02/16/2006 : 05:59:03 AM
That sounds very cool. Keep us posted on your progress.
Evergreen Posted - 02/15/2006 : 4:27:42 PM

awesome!!! you won't be disappointed. some people will try to tell you it is not cost effective or too expensive. disregard that info and research it for yourself. Photovoltaics is affordable if researched and done right. But let me tell you, you have to do alot of homework. and you'll save a boat load of money if you learn the stuff yourself and install alot of it yourself. PV's is becoming more and more affordable all the time. Right now it CAN cost LESS to construct an energy efficient solar house than a conventional house. You know whats happening with fossil fuels, and it isn't going to get better. In the long run you will save so much money AND you'll be a big step closer to self-sufficiency which is the name of the game in the scary country we live in (just my opinion). One of the best companies out there for photovoltaics is EVERGREEN Solar (and I'm not just saying that cause they are named Evergreen)
evergreensolar.com Also, check into cordwood construction (if you are building from the ground up) a guy named Rob Roy writes book regarding. The nature of the construction increases the R value of the house and makes it very efficient and easy to heat and maintain with solar.

Good luck with your quest. I have lots more info and links I can pass on when I have a little more TIMe.

also, if you buy stocks or play the market I would HIGHLY recommend buying Evergreen Solar stocks. one of the fastest growing companies in the US.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 02/15/2006 : 4:22:34 PM
Yeah man I want an Earthship so bad I can taste it.

google that, that's living off the grid. I think it'd be awesome.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000