Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 GREEN shopping guide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Evergreen Posted - 11/30/2005 : 10:18:53 AM
The National Green pages connects you to thousands of socially & environmentally responsible businesses. Align your spending with your principles. These websites rock!
www.greenpages.org
www.coopamerica.org
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arthen Posted - 12/09/2005 : 2:54:13 PM
Note to self: Get steel bar! Where the hell does one get a steel bar?!
dan p. Posted - 12/07/2005 : 5:18:40 PM
always fight back. they don't expect it. i was there when i was robbed, and i didn't waste time talking or hesitating. i keep my steel bar close at hand at night (in case of frankenstein.) the second you know you're being robbed, fight as fast and as hard as you can. they normally won't be interested in prolonging the robbery any more than they have to, especially if they're at risk. but, if like evergreen says, they're doing it for drug money, it becomes more dangerous. there are people who will kill you for your money to get drugs. and obviously when guns come into play, you just lose.

apparently someone i know just a couple weeks ago had his house robbed while i was gone. they somehow tied and gagged him and his wife, but then only took their wallets and car.

and arthen, start buying up guns.
Arthen Posted - 12/07/2005 : 2:02:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen

quote:
you always have to lock your doors and be mindful on the street.

There are lots of break ins around this area. My doors/windows are always locked. In fact I'm not anal about anything except that. They broke thru my back window, smashed the glass in daylight hrs. Then unlocked my backdoor and moved my crap out. There's a big problem with heroin and crystal meth in this area and there are also many break ins. I think that stuff is related. Many times break ins happen while people are at home at night. The police kept saying "it's a good thing you weren't home" and I'm thinking...I wish I would have been home because I have weapons in my apt and am not afraid to kick some ass. They would have been pepper sprayed, tasered, and then had broken knees with my huge tire iron I keep in the house.

Good for you. That's the kind of thing I want to hear! Hopefully it never comes down to fighting back, but if it does, good luck and don't hold back.
Evergreen Posted - 12/07/2005 : 10:43:16 AM
quote:
I'm glad your cats are okay though. Do you have renter's/homeowner's insurance? I know they don't cover everything, but whatever they are willing to give can't hurt.

BTW, do you have an Amazon wish list? I'd like to help replenish your CD collection too...

Yes, I'm so grateful nothing happened to my kitties. They are so my sanity, esp after losing my 2 dogs to cancer in the same yr a few yrs ago. My cat Althea had lived outside when she was a kitten as she was a stray living on the streets when she adopted me, but Jonah is oblivious to the dangers of the outside world. And he's a big friendly ham that plops down wherever and rolls over and purrs. When he was missing I was picturing him doing that in the middle of the busy downtown street I live on. I had insurance, but it didn't come close to what I lost...of course. Thank you so much for the offer Teri, that is so sweet. I do have a wish list at Amazon. However, maybe you could utilize your connections with his tour manager and get TR to play a private benefit show for my birthday next week. Perhaps in my living room.

quote:
you always have to lock your doors and be mindful on the street.

There are lots of break ins around this area. My doors/windows are always locked. In fact I'm not anal about anything except that. They broke thru my back window, smashed the glass in daylight hrs. Then unlocked my backdoor and moved my crap out. There's a big problem with heroin and crystal meth in this area and there are also many break ins. I think that stuff is related. Many times break ins happen while people are at home at night. The police kept saying "it's a good thing you weren't home" and I'm thinking...I wish I would have been home because I have weapons in my apt and am not afraid to kick some ass. They would have been pepper sprayed, tasered, and then had broken knees with my huge tire iron I keep in the house.
Arthen Posted - 12/07/2005 : 01:45:23 AM
I don't know that you can classify it as war yet, but when you do let me know and I'll start buying up guns.
dan p. Posted - 12/07/2005 : 01:29:32 AM
getting your shit stolen is a real bad thing to have happen. i've been robbed, too. there's more and more of that stuff happening, too. you always have to lock your doors and be mindful on the street.

it's something that ocurred to me not at all that long ago. we're fighting a war overseas, and it's being met by a lot ofpeople largely with apathy and ignorance. the abstract moral and philosophical notions and the high politics are lost on lot of people who don't know and don't care, because life here is war.
tericee Posted - 12/06/2005 : 03:53:09 AM
quote:
...my apartment was broken into and some poor excuse for humans took just about everything I owned. all electronics, mtn bike, expensive winter camping gear and clothing, money, jewelry, all my CD's including rare bootlegs from pearl jam, traffic, genesis, TR, etc.etc. my stereo, new computer...

That is terrible Evergreen! I'm glad your cats are okay though. Do you have renter's/homeowner's insurance? I know they don't cover everything, but whatever they are willing to give can't hurt.

BTW, do you have an Amazon wish list? I'd like to help replenish your CD collection too...
dan p. Posted - 12/05/2005 : 6:13:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by therippa
Ever met a vegan? My old roommate wouldn't touch anything that came out of an animal, but she'd buy shoes and belts made from it's hide.

i've known a fair amount of vegans. enviornmental activists, too. and, before anyone decides to get defensive, this doesn't go for all of them. but the ones i've know, down to the last, have been that way to try to help, but to feel like they are. therippa's vegan is a prime example. if she had thought about what she was doing for more than 5 seconds, she'd realize that buying leather anything totally negates anything she has to say about animal rights or veganism.
therippa Posted - 12/05/2005 : 4:29:18 PM
quote:

I will say I've yet to meet a person who cares about nature/earth/animals with a "holier than thou" attitude though.

Ever met a vegan? My old roommate wouldn't touch anything that came out of an animal, but she'd buy shoes and belts made from it's hide.
Evergreen Posted - 12/05/2005 : 4:29:16 PM
Thanx alot for the offer! Sounds good. I'll let things calm down and see if anyone tries to sell my stuff locally. Maybe I'll get something back. Thanks though, I will let you know. Lamb live is one of my absolute fav songs. The lyrics and meaning of that song have always floored me.
Evergreen Posted - 12/05/2005 : 4:25:09 PM
yup, a 6 disc boxset of really old genesis stuff with PG and 3 live bootlegs from england, also really early stuff. Thats just the Genesis. I'm really crying about my pearl jam. over 50 live bootlegs, one which was several hours of radio air time purchased by PJ and broadcast from Eddies living room....live. And a crisp sound board CD of PJ from the Bridge school performance from 1997 that Rew gave me. Most of my music collection was not replacable pre-recorded stuff except for the entire Frank Zappa collection.(yes, I finally got the entire collection) I'm hoping if the cops help out and find anything it'll be the CD's. It's not like the live discs are able to be resold, since they are on blank discs with my art work all over them. They grabbed all the CD's prolly thinking they were all pre recorded or they would sort them later. Want to hear something a little funny though. They didn't take the billions of cassette tapes I have. My entire Grateful Dead bootleg collection among others. HA no one wants cassettes. Problem is, I don't really listen to the Dead anymore. I've been keeping them for sentimental reasons.
Arthen Posted - 12/05/2005 : 4:11:57 PM
On a further note, I was walking home from work a few minutes ago and my Genesis bootleg album came on, and I got all pissed that you lost your Genesis stuff Evergreen. So if you want, send me an email with your address and I'll mail you some of the live Genesis stuff I have. I have a great show from their "Selling England by the Pound" tour that Hopeful sent me, along with other random live stuff, like a show that's the whole "Lamb" live. Anyways, if you would be interested, let me know.

cbenc41@hotmail.com
Arthen Posted - 12/05/2005 : 3:37:19 PM
Holy shit you lost Genesis stuff? I am so sorry. That would make me start firmly believing in the power of vigilante justice. Let's hunt them down deathwish style!
Evergreen Posted - 12/05/2005 : 2:45:37 PM
quote:
Bottom line, I wasn't knocking anyone or trying to piss anyone off and I apologize if I came across that way.

I realize that now. I was definitely being "oversensitive" and took it personally in a negative way. I'm really sorry! the day before, my apartment was broken into and some poor excuse for humans took just about everything I owned. all electronics, mtn bike, expensive winter camping gear and clothing, money, jewelry, all my CD's including rare bootlegs from pearl jam, traffic, genesis, TR, etc.etc. my stereo, new computer. You freaking name it. And yes, thats all material stuff, but the worst part, they broke thru windows and my 2 inside cats got out thru shards of glass and were missing for a few days with it being 12 degrees outside. I was freaking. My cats came back, cold and hungry but unharmed and thats really all that matters.

I agree I'm disappointed that more people here aren't into the environment, nature and Mama Earth. Without them we all die. I certainly won't go in-depth with the principles of environmental health. That could get very long and involved. and, I'll try not to put anyone in the same category as "W". I will say I've yet to meet a person who cares about nature/earth/animals with a "holier than thou" attitude though. Usually they are great people I want to get to know better. But hey, just like I am entitled to hug trees so hard I lose consciousness, and continue to tell you of their importance, you are entitled not to care,and your own opinions. And it IS ok to call me an overzealous environmenatlist treehugging freak. I am certainly ALL of above and Robin made me realize its a great compliment. Thank you and Peace.

OnlySuperstition Posted - 12/05/2005 : 09:52:35 AM
Oh no. Not another radiohead sucks thread. This will go on forever..... Ha ha
pcbTIM Posted - 12/05/2005 : 02:26:33 AM
Looks like my comment has gotten way out of control. I wasn't trying to start an argument or pick at people but more to find out why the activists annoy me. Apart from what other people had said, I think it might also have to do with the facts that the environmentalists are using scare tactics to get people to believe in them, which is something that I really disagree with (i.e. Catholicism, sex education), and that they believe everything they say to be the complete truth. Most people seem to believe that we have the ability to destroy the world, when in truth, we just have the ability to destroy ourselves. Even if we produced so much pollution that the ozone disappeared and all the ice caps melted, nature and the planet would remain. The big problem I have with it is that they're using science to prove themselves right, when science has yet to actually PROVE them right.

Although, I am a fan of some of the principles of environmentalism, as well as the technologies that have been born out of it. Hybrid cars are a great technology not only to reduce emissions but to increase gas mileage. Hydroelectric dams are a great source of electricity (although using the water flow of a river isn't exactly a new technology...just look at ancient water mills). Solar power is also pretty cool, until you factor in the crappy efficiency and costs which are so high that it will take 30 years before you break even.

Bottom line, I wasn't knocking anyone or trying to piss anyone off and I apologize if I came across that way.

P.S. I was watching South Park and something Cartman said made me laugh...."God damn hippies...they want to help the world but all they do is sit around and smoke pot all day."
dan p. Posted - 12/04/2005 : 9:35:03 PM
"mainstream" doesn't mean anything. at least, to me it doesn't. i've always seen, especially in music, not "mainstream" and "underground" but just different sections weighed equally. like, i don't consider pop mainstream and then various underground genres. it's like a top view instead of a cross section, if that makes any sense.

there's also something decidedly arrogant about saying something you do isn't "mainstream." so it's not something pretty much everyone does. so your being yourself. you're supposed to be yourself. you don't get credit for it. and as if something's good because it's not "mainstream." it's an exclusive attitude, and totally besides the point when talking about art or personal beliefs.
Robin Posted - 12/04/2005 : 3:05:17 PM
Thanks Evergreen, for taking the TIMe to share the choices available to people who want to have a more conscious shopping experience. I've been called a tree-hugging hippie and worse, and have saved a few forests because of it. I am a force to be reckoned with in the environmenal fight. I'm a little saddened that some of you are so casual in your attitudes about the environment and particularly environmental activism, but not really surprised. It's a lot of work to do anything that isn't mainstream. Not all of us are self rightous. I realize it's harder to make certain choices when you are on a budget for instance. I appreciate being made aware of the things we CAN do, because even if you just do one or two it makes a difference.
Rock on Evergreen! Peace, Robin
guitarisPIMP Posted - 12/03/2005 : 01:36:48 AM
I would agree to the mentioning of these overzealous environmentalists. I guess you could label them as belligerent hippies, even though that seems like an oxymoron. There certainly are a great deal of people who feel that getting in the way of others' lives is necessary to get the message out. In turn, that just makes those who were uninterested in the environment to begin with not look at the reasons why we should care, which is why we have tee-shirts that say "for every animal you dont eat, i'll eat three." If people rioted or blocked off a street or something of the like for, say, the legalization of marijuana, how would the public take to it? Same principle, just being overzealous about a political issue that needs to be discussed in a civilized manner.

That being said, I do agree with what the environmentalists are saying. There's a tremendous amount of damage being done to the environment, and many experts hypothesize that there's already enough CFCs in the upper atmosphere to destroy or nearly destroy the ozone layer(for those of you who don't know, the process of converting O3 ozone into O2 is a multi-step chemical process that takes about a century to complete, so we don't know how badly we've fucked up our atmosphere yet). Along with the issue of air pollution comes deforestation, which I am torn between. The paper industry is an asset we take for granted, but it's quite amazing the amount of information paper puts into our hands in one small book. Still, I believe the lumber industry has taken it too far, and many efforts can be made to both regrow what we've destroyed and to slow the current rate of deforestation. Big business higher-ups just simply don't want to lose their fat paychecks, and couldn't care less about 50 years in the future when their sons deal with what we've done to the environment.

This isn't so much tied to the environment, but it's a "treehugger" or "hippie" issue: de-nuking the world. In the civil war, the most powerful weapon in man's arsenal was the cannon, capable of destroying only a few sqaure meters at a time. In the coming years, bombers were able to do literally a thousand times more damage than this. Next came the atom bomb, capable of doing yet another thousand times more damage than a bomber's previously single most powerful bomb. The current nuclear technology is now such that we can inflict enough damage to destory literally a thuosand Hiroshimas with a single H-bomb. Do the math. 1000x1000x1000 = a billion. A little over the century into the future and man has grown capable of doing a billion times more damage than before. Has he grown a billion times wiser? The answer is undoubtedly no. A small percentage of the nuclear arsenal still in existence is enough to destory human civilization and most life on Earth. NO man, no group of men, no sect of society should ever have such capabilities. In present day, nuclear bombs are nothing but a means of mutually-assured destruction, which defeats the purpose of a war to begin with(survival of the fittest and progression of society). Why then are so many people in powerful positions not taking action on these issues? Some action is taken, but not nearly enough, and most of the public simply doesn't care or doesn't know.

There are many issues related to the effects of human society on the Earth as a whole that I feel are not taken seriously enough. There is no force more capable of destroying human life than the collapse of the natural biosphere, or the occurence of a catastrophic war. Don't be belligerent, just tell the truth. No one can argue against these facts without stretching the limits of language beyond coherence. If you're expressing yourself in a manner that interrupts society, then you lose, and we eventually lose.
Arthen Posted - 12/02/2005 : 4:19:19 PM
I wasn't attempting to attack anyone, I think it's great that people want to save the environment. The issue that was introduced, as I took it, had to do with the people who essentially act in the same manner as super-ultra-conservative religious fanatics. I'm all for the environment, like I'm all for certain moral values that can be derived from certain religions. It's people who take it way too far that get to me. I'm not saying you are taking it too far, but that my comment was in reference to those people. In fact, I'm sure some people on the board will find those links very useful, I looked at them myself.
Kenneth Posted - 12/02/2005 : 3:03:54 PM
Evergreen, it doesn't look like anyone attacked you. I must have missed it. But I think you are being a bit supersensitive. If someone else doesn't agree with you or your point of view then who cares? Why get mad or allow your feelings to be hurt? It's something you believe in and it's something you enjoy so that should be enough to make you happy. You don't need anyone elses approval or supporting words. I may be wrong but from reading your last post it sounds like those were your parting words from this board. Come on, surely it takes more than that to run someone out of here.

And btw... welcome back Dan P. You cock!
dan p. Posted - 12/02/2005 : 12:47:51 PM
time was a lot of the people who were big on environmental issues would piss me off, too. now i just don't care. is it really worth getting pissed off at? yeah, they can be irritating, and i still get annoyed when directly confronted with argument by someone self-righteous about it, but greenpages and coopamerica don't bother me. it's none of my concern if they want to be enviornmentally concious about something like shopping. how does that involve me at all? it's not getting my way. they're not stopping me from living my life as i see fit. getting pissed off at the abstract concept of enviornmentalism, enviornmentalists, and all that is stupid. do you honestly give that much of a fuck what a bunch of people think? they're not cramming it down your throat, and evergreen wasn't being obnoxious about it.

i shouldn't even get angry at people with the holier than thou attitude, because why should i care if someone thinks they're better than me? but i do. can't help it.

also, evergreen, i think maybe you're being a little oversensitive. no one attacked you or accused you of being self-righteous. they were speaking about those people at large.
Evergreen Posted - 12/02/2005 : 09:49:38 AM
Wow, I guess I'm a little shocked at such nasty comments on my thread. But then again, after other stuff that has come to light in the last couple weeks....I'm not surprised. People never cease to amaze me in how thoughtless, mean, and deceptive they can be to others. I disappeared from this board for a long while in the past for being called a treehugger and was ungraciously informed there is nothing worse.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to insult my comments and those things that are important to me. I was sharing this information with people who are interested, NOT so you could insult me....again. I have come to find that some people here are not who I thought they were and it has affected me greatly. These comments were just a little icing on that cake. So, thanx for making one of the most difficult weeks in my life a little more difficult.

For those of you on the board who are decent, considerate people, I wish you all the best. Keep listening to great music, sharing great ideas and supporting musicians like TR who make fantastic music and boycott the record label industry and do it on their own. It is indeed time for me to go. See you in the trees. And....don't forget to look up once in awhile.

Once in awhile
you get shown the light
in the strangest of places
if you look at it right
Arthen Posted - 12/01/2005 : 11:46:09 PM
Yep! For me it's the ones that are so self-righteous and have that holier-than-thou attitude.
pcbTIM Posted - 12/01/2005 : 11:05:09 PM
I'm all for the environment...but for some reason all those people that are really into it piss me off. I can't explain it. Anyone else feel this way?

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000