Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Patchbays...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Muskrat Posted - 11/29/2005 : 2:10:36 PM
Anyone here know anything about professional studio recording, specifically patchbays? ... I need to find out why the mic line outs MUST be fully normalled to the channel inputs... This may seem like a weird place to ask such a question but I don't exactly know where to start and y'all have proven to be an intelligent group of people, good at putting things into plain english.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Muskrat Posted - 11/30/2005 : 5:33:31 PM
Thanks. It actually turned out Phantom power was the direction he was thinking, that if they were half-normalled, you could potentially supply double the amount of phantom to a mic, possibly damaging the mic...

I asked the same question on a professional engineering board and confused those people too. Everyone started explaining the concepts of normalling, by definition. I need to be more clear in my questions. Thanks!
dirtysloth Posted - 11/30/2005 : 2:40:20 PM
Well, it isn't absolutely necessary for the mic line outs to be fully normalled to the channel mic inputs, but is very common. And then everything else is usually half normalled.

Fully normalled means you have a permanent connection from one point to another. It also means that if you insert a cord into either patch point of a pair, that connection will be broken. The signal is then only in the tip of your cord. If the points are half normalled, such as with insert send and returns, inserting a cable into the point that is receiving signal will interrupt the signal. Inserting a cable into the send will not.

Being fully normalled will prevent a mic from being connected to two I/O modules at the same time if you cross patch. For instance, if you plug a mic into 12 and want it to show up on 1, you would patch from mic line 12 to channel input 1. If these points were half normalled, you would need to dead patch channel mic input 12(cable that goes nowhere).

Biff, let me know if there's anything in particular you could use help with. I could give you some general advice if I knew your setup.

Biff the Pig Posted - 11/29/2005 : 3:00:25 PM
im recording some songs at my house with drums and stuff...and basically any information on recording in general would be appreciated. if you ever recorded stuff and learned some important priciple that could make the quality of the recording that much better i would be happy to know it!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000