Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Martin or Taylor?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Banjobach Posted - 11/08/2005 : 10:49:12 PM
So im sure this topic has been discussed here before but im curious as to what you guys think. I know the qualities of the two different guitars and such. Ive narrowed it down pretty much between the 714ce taylor with the cedar top and the martin DC Aura. Is there anyone out there that owns either of those or a taylor or a martin in general? And can you tell your thoughts and opinions on either? Like which do you prefer and why.
thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jay Posted - 11/15/2005 : 6:16:18 PM
Martin. All the way man...My style is very rough and aggressive (you should see how much of the top is eaten off) and Martins just have the power and tone to give me what I want to hear while I'm pounding the shit out of it. There are several Taylors that I would considder buying because they are beautiful guitars, but when i play them the way I play my Martin, it just feels like they're going to snap in half or something...It's like, with a Martin, I'm smoking a Cuban...with a Taylor, an "Uncle Rick's."

Have you ever had an Uncle Ricks? Hmm...interesting.
Mechman293 Posted - 11/10/2005 : 5:27:19 PM
Only been playing guitar for a year and some months but I prefer Martin's over Taylor. Since I don't have the money for either I'll stick with my Ibanez acoustic.
OnlySuperstition Posted - 11/10/2005 : 09:48:59 AM
I do classify myself as a Martin man. I agree with the above, a Martin guitar does have the warmest sound. The only argument I make for taylor is the 814ce. Um this guitar is butter. It may in fact be better than any Martin. It has probably the depthiest sound I have ever heard. I will always be a Martin man but at some point i would like to own the above mentioned taylor. You should all try it out somtime.
Biff the Pig Posted - 11/09/2005 : 11:17:04 PM
u guys have a lot of money...i bought a 314ce..cause im poor. but i went in initially to buy a martin hd-28, but after playing a lot of guitars for like 3 hrs i liked the taylor. my main reason for doing this was because the taylor sounded great already and the martin will probably start to sound great/better in about 7years...and im impatient hence my decision.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 11/09/2005 : 7:14:47 PM
Martins definitely have more of a rich and bassy sound. When I think of the sound of an acoustic guitar in general, I hear a Martin in my head. More specifically, a D-35. There's a certain comfort to its sound.

But I still went with an 814-ce... because as rich as the sound of the Martins are, the Taylor, especially with a grand auditorium body is just crystal clear and bright in a way that Martin just doesn't match. You can literally hear every note of every chord ring out.

Comparing the 800 series to the 700 series Taylors, Cedar is a softer wood than Spruce so it sounds a bit mellower. The 800 series takes the clarity up a notch and just sounds brighter in general.

Whatever you like best... they're all great guitars.
Kenneth Posted - 11/09/2005 : 09:21:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by therippa

Taylor has bright tone, Martin has a boomier lower end, and what I think to be a more even range than the Taylor has.

I agree completely. I've always thought I would go buy a Taylor but when I play them it's like, ok I like it, but it's not better than my Martin. I'm convinced there is not a better tone than from a Martin.

Since you're leaning towards the high end models, which is also a wise choice, you might want to try out the Martin D-28 or D-35. There is no way you will be let down. But it looks like you want to go with a cutaway.
Arthen Posted - 11/09/2005 : 12:07:37 AM
Much like Rippa, I'm biased as well. Go with Martin. My bandmate and I have this discussion every now and then, he's a Taylor man. He likes his, but go with Martin.
therippa Posted - 11/08/2005 : 11:50:36 PM
Ahh...the yearly martin-taylor debate.

Both are excellent guitars.

Taylor has bright tone, Martin has a boomier lower end, and what I think to be a more even range than the Taylor has. It all depends on what you intend on playing. Notice Dave uses his Martin when backing up Tim's incredible solo's, because it's a guitar you listen to. When he plays with his band, he uses a Taylor so you can pick out the guitar a little easier from all the music that is being made.

Best thing to do is to sit down and play both and figure out what you like better.

Sidenote: I'm biased towards Martin, being a proud owner of a D-28

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000