Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 John Mayer Trio

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OnlySuperstition Posted - 10/10/2005 : 10:23:20 AM
Sorry I must have too much free time at work. Some friends and I saw the John Mayer Trio this past weekend. It kicked my ass. They played no John Mayer songs. They played mostly blues songs that they have been writing as they have been touring. He still has some fruit cake tendancies but he is one hell of a guitar player, and singer for that matter. I am not sure if any of you have heard anthing they have done but it is pretty awsome even for the people who dont like him. They have a live cd and/or dvd coming out in November. Check it out, you'll be surprised
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zachmozach Posted - 10/18/2005 : 11:17:48 PM
Now that I have time I want to add something to all this Mayer is talented talk. I just went to a bar this weekend where a guy I know is playing some jazz. Trio, Piano, bass, drums and they were joined by a singer. Now here's the thing none of them had rehearsed or played with the singer before, nor did they have a setlist. What happened at that gig was fucking genious! First of all the singer picks tunes and calls out the keys. These are not tunes these guys play on all the time but most were standards and the others she had charts for, but she picks the key. Yes, she says let's do this sarah Vaughn tune or whatever in F, wait not make it Eb. Then they proceed to play and after the vocals the piano player takes an amazing solo. Then to top that, she names a tune the bass player knows and the piano player doesn't, but the piano player says hey well if the bass player knows it I'll be fine. So they play the tune and if I hadn't heard the piano player say he didn't know the tune (as in he hadn't even heard it) I would have guessed he's played it for the last 10 years. It was amazing he just listened to what the bass player did and played the entire song off that with another great solo.

Now I'm using this to illustrate the point that there are people on whole other levels of music. I've seen a guitar player do a similar thing where he didn't know the tune and the bass player verbally gave him a quick map by saying ii-V-I in G then to Gm etc. and then the bass player played the melody and then came the guitar solo which was amazing and then he played the melody out from just hearing it and playing it.

Now like I've said I don't know that much about Mayer but I saw him play on that crossroads festival and heard a little bit of him. These guys wouldn't even let him play with them. I would guess that you could tell him to play a tune he wrote in another key on the spot and he would screw up royally. I'm just saying this guy is nothing to be impressed with. There are far better, more skilled, better comunicators out there to listen to that play things with a harmonic depth Mayer probably can't even begin to grasp and most all of them would be happy to make a quarter of the dough this guy makes so Fuck John Mayer!
JoshMartin Posted - 10/18/2005 : 2:24:03 PM
douchebaggery.

Now that is some funny shit! Hit the nail on the head.
Zachmozach Posted - 10/18/2005 : 12:26:10 PM
Ok, but can he play a Charlie Parker blues or is he into all that bending stuff, and you know the basic Sttevie rip off everyone plays now?
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 10/18/2005 : 07:48:57 AM
Arthen and Zach:

Believe me, the guy is a very talented improvisational player, he didn't showcase that so much with his band during his first 2 album tours, but with the Trio he's definitely showcasing a bit more (decidedly thru the blues idiom). Though, on his solo acoustic tour thru 2000-2001, he really was quite amazing, I have a great DVD with him doing Neon, the sound quality sucks, but the improv bits he does in it are spectacular.

Again, I am not saying he's not a cheesepuff, but he undoubtedly is very talented.
SurferX Posted - 10/18/2005 : 12:33:06 AM
The songs are "Come When You Call" and "Who Do You Think I Was". They sound like they are studio recordings. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they were just really clean soundboards.
OnlySuperstition Posted - 10/17/2005 : 09:21:20 AM
Surfer X,

Im not sure what songs are on the itunes. I'm gonna go check it out. I do think that they recorded a few of thier songs while they were on the road. If you read his posts on johnmayertrio.com he talkes about once they started writing they came up with tons of shit.
Arthen Posted - 10/17/2005 : 03:58:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zachmozach

I can't say I've listened to all of John Mayers music, but I still have seen nothing from him to make me think he is one hell of a guitarist. I've seen plenty of guys he couldn't even hang with. Basically he does what he does well and if you like what he does ok, but I don't think he warrants an incredible rating of any sort.

You've summed him up perfectly for me Zach! Those are my thoughts on the subject, exactly.
SurferX Posted - 10/17/2005 : 03:08:46 AM
I was under the impression that the JM3 were recording an album together? What about those two tracks that are on the iTunes Music Store? They're not live...
OnlySuperstition Posted - 10/13/2005 : 4:43:50 PM
Hey,

SurferX im glad you liked that show. Its too bad that they are a done deal. JM is going to go solo again. I am guessing he has to produce more albums for his record label. If it were up to him he would only play jazz and blues.

Zachmozach,

I am sorry you dont like John Mayer. I will work on getting some shit together for you that i think will impress you. Again a lot of his songs are kinda poppy in lyric but some of the guitar work is breath taking. I'll get some shit for you to listen to
Zachmozach Posted - 10/13/2005 : 1:07:18 PM
I can't say I've listened to all of John Mayers music, but I still have seen nothing from him to make me think he is one hell of a guitarist. I've seen plenty of guys he couldn't even hang with. Basically he does what he does well and if you like what he does ok, but I don't think he warrants an incredible rating of any sort.
SurferX Posted - 10/13/2005 : 12:43:00 PM
I have a new found appreciation for John Mayer after seeing the JMT here in Vegas a few weeks ago.

1st, let me say that my appreciation started after he appeared on Dave Chappelle and then when he had his own show on MTv.

2nd, I think the music he is playing now is awesome. First he plays all that stupid pop crap, and now he's playing blues. It was a great way to expose all the stupid people out there to great music. Lure them in with the name, and then blow them away with the music. Genius!

Oh yeah, and his new band kicks ass. Two of the best musicians I've heard in a while...
Kenneth Posted - 10/10/2005 : 3:39:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

I bumped my arm on a desk, and it just involuntarily spasms out...

Yes, well, I'm going to have to be perfectly honest with you. I've looked at your X-rays and I find that there's absolutely nothing wrong with you. Nothing that would indicate involuntary spasms. I don't know what kind of a person would do something like this. Obviously a very sick person. A very immature person. A person who has no regard for wasting other people's valuable time.
Arthen Posted - 10/10/2005 : 3:21:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

The new name of his band sounds eerily similar to the John Butler Trio.

Plus, John Mayer has the jimmy legs. You know you can get that in your arms too?

I bumped my arm on a desk, and it just involuntarily spasms out...
OnlySuperstition Posted - 10/10/2005 : 2:58:27 PM
The shit he does with his legs is definately wierd.

Hey Arthen,

I never said he had a low DoucheBag factor. He is a doofis but like i said he can play well. It was funny to see all these gitty young girls jaws drop when he didnt play any of his usual cookie cutter songs. His hair was really long and it was definately not what they expected. Hot women at this event though. Later
Kenneth Posted - 10/10/2005 : 1:59:18 PM
The new name of his band sounds eerily similar to the John Butler Trio.

Plus, John Mayer has the jimmy legs. You know you can get that in your arms too?
Arthen Posted - 10/10/2005 : 1:37:35 PM
I've made a sworn pact to live the rest of my life without supporting John Mayer in any fashion whatsoever.

Nah, it's not that bad, I just can't get past his douchebaggery.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000