Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 signed guitar perservation?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jorg Posted - 08/17/2005 : 5:29:44 PM
How are you supposed to perserve the signature on a guitar without ruining the finish?
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 08/26/2005 : 07:50:18 AM
Yah, I got Tim and Kaki to sign my 6...if it fades I guess I'll just have to get them to do it again. Tim's has been there for a year now with no sign of fading, he did it with a black Sharpie, though I hardly ever have my guitar in the sun.
Jorg Posted - 08/26/2005 : 05:56:11 AM
thank you fluffy. You guys have been more helpful than the guys at Martin, I've writen them twice without any reply. I still haven't decided what way is the best to go about this promblem. What makes it even harder is that my buddies all can access to car painting equipment and they think a layer of clear coat would be fine but that makes me nervous. I think next time, I will have Tim sign with a knife (pants happy you're smart). That would be kind of fitting and cool.
Fluffy Posted - 08/23/2005 : 11:55:04 PM
Maybe you might want to try over here:

http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002781.html

This topic is specifically about a resonator(metal) guitar but the folks on this message board seem to be kinda knowledgeable in this area. You might get a more realistic response than.....
quote:
simple: next time have him sign the guitar with a knife
LMAO
pants_happy Posted - 08/22/2005 : 1:08:55 PM
simple: next time have him sign the guitar with a knife.
Jorg Posted - 08/20/2005 : 8:22:41 PM
I don't claim to be the yellow crayon but at least I had the sense not to get it signed on the NECK!
guitarisPIMP Posted - 08/19/2005 : 6:03:52 PM
hahaha this reminds me, at a guitar camp i recently went to, this kid got his guitar signed by John Scofield, on the back of the fucking NECK. By later that day the signature was smudged beyond all recognition.
Jorg Posted - 08/18/2005 : 5:11:45 PM
I don't believe I will be sending you the guitar but thanks everyone for the suggestions. The manufacturer still hasn't gotten back to me on how to go about my dilemma. I always store it in the case when I am not playing it so I'm not too worried about UV damage, I am more worried about accidentily touching it or when it moves in the case (the case is furry) and might slowly rub off the marker. ahhh. I don't even like the thought.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 08/18/2005 : 11:48:21 AM
Well at the very least you could put a piece of glass with UV protection on it over at least where the sign is. That'll prevent some / most of the fading.

Or if you could put it in a glass case with some sort of UV barrier, that'd be even better.

But a piece of UV glass would probably not be all that expensive...

However, your best option is to just send the guitar to me for safekeeping.
Oozle Posted - 08/18/2005 : 11:18:53 AM
how about a spray coat like what you put to waterproof suede and leather shoes? seems like a light coat should't mar the finish?
Arthen Posted - 08/18/2005 : 01:24:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by therippa

After Tim signed my guitar a few years ago I went to the guitar shop to see if I could have it protected. They said they could have put a thin layer of clear coat on it (or whatever it is they use), but there would be a noticeable ring around the area since they can't really blend it.

Four years later and the signature has noticeably faded...oh well.

You'll just need Tim to sign it again.
therippa Posted - 08/17/2005 : 9:31:01 PM
After Tim signed my guitar a few years ago I went to the guitar shop to see if I could have it protected. They said they could have put a thin layer of clear coat on it (or whatever it is they use), but there would be a noticeable ring around the area since they can't really blend it.

Four years later and the signature has noticeably faded...oh well.
PJK Posted - 08/17/2005 : 6:54:30 PM
Don't know but I would ask at a music store,or maybe a hardware store. I don't know if you could use polyurothane (don't have a clue how to spell that! LOL) on it, if it would take off the autograph or damage the sound of the guitar, but that is what I would do.

Good luck!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000