Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Favorite Jazz Guitarists? (besides Tim)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
guitarisPIMP Posted - 08/14/2005 : 8:54:14 PM
Looking to broaden my spectrum on jazz guitar, get new ideas, new inspiration.

My personal favorites are John McLaughlin, puts alot of expression into his compositions and his improv, has real good chops. Also, Bill Frisell and John Scofield, who I would just describe as fucking good.

I saw Scofield at a guitar camp last week, it was an awesome show, he kept talking about Paris Hilton (he's a funny guy). Also, at the end he played a funk jam with Ron Jackson that was SOO good, and in the middle of it, he told us he felt like a rap would be nice, so some guy got up frmo the audience and did a quite amazing freestyle. I was nutting myself...
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Evergreen Posted - 10/14/2005 : 4:16:32 PM
a friend mentioned Ben Monder recently I'll have to check it out
Thanx for the info.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/10/2005 : 3:59:34 PM
he has a few solo records that you pretty much have to order, or get at downtown music gallery in New york city...but with drew gress, or scott colley, and jim black drums for em!
Zachmozach Posted - 10/09/2005 : 2:47:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by victorwootenfan

BEN MONDER!!!!! BEN MONDER!!!!

He is amazing, the most "coltranic" musician alive today in my opinion. He improvises with an influence of bartok meets nasty blues guitar. He's incredible, plays guitar with the maria schneider jazz orchestra. By far one of my favorite musicians.

Didn't know him by name, but I've definitely heard him and I can vouch for him... He can definitely play.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/09/2005 : 1:19:29 PM
i'm doing real well, how're you?? I'm in my 3d year at james madison university, still pursueing a degree in music industry, and my jazz minor was completed last semester. Starting to realize that college is gonna be done before i know it, so i'm trying to figure out, "alright now, i've got a degree...what now?" I'm looking into going to grad school for classical performance right now. Just would like to make it my goal to play in an orchestra...good steady gig, with benefits and whatnot. I'll prolly take time off before grad school, just to work a menial job to pay bills, and spend the rest of the time practicing and studying what i want to study in music(classical bass performance practice, transcribing jazz bass stuffis, and studying classical/jazz composition). I also am about to recieve a sarode via mail from ali akbar khan college of music. A sarode is an indian instrument that's sorta like a fretless sitar, but not really...best way to describe it though.

anyways, how's things with you been?
PJK Posted - 10/09/2005 : 1:11:07 PM
Matt, so good to see you here again! How are you?

I will definitely check out Ben Monder.

Kevin, thanks for posting it again, if you indeed had previously. A friend got me into Jaco which of course has lead me to renewed interest in jazz again. Sounds like this is a cd I must put on my wish list as well! I am trying to be good and not spend money I don't really have on cd's and concerts right now.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/09/2005 : 1:04:46 PM
BEN MONDER!!!!! BEN MONDER!!!!

He is amazing, the most "coltranic" musician alive today in my opinion. He improvises with an influence of bartok meets nasty blues guitar. He's incredible, plays guitar with the maria schneider jazz orchestra. By far one of my favorite musicians.
KevinLesko Posted - 09/24/2005 : 1:18:48 PM
I think I might have posted about this cd here before, but my reccomendation goes to Pat Metheny's "One Quiet Night" it is a solo acoustic cd recorded mostly in one night when Pat was inspired by a quiet rainy night at home. It was recorded with one guitar (baritone acoustic), and with one mic... no overdubs, no post production... Remind you of anyone? (Tim Reynolds - Stream / Chris Whitley - Dirt Floor)

Evergreen Posted - 09/24/2005 : 07:33:52 AM
Bireli Lagrene-gypsy jazz, www.lagrene.com
Stochelo Rosenburg

a fantastic DVD featuring both and many other mindblowing musicians.....http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002TT0H8/002-8700982-8879200?v=glance
Zachmozach Posted - 09/23/2005 : 2:21:15 PM
Ya besides the music too, from what I can tell most everyone here is a good person. Regardless of how we disagree (even though we all probably agree on more stuff than disagree, but it's more fun to talk about the more questionable subjects) everyone is coming from the same place mostly of trying to do what they can to be happy and live good lives, except for dan p.

PJK Posted - 09/23/2005 : 07:46:09 AM
My friend gave me the album Jaco Pastorius the Early Years, which is absolutely amazing to listen to. Makes me wish I could share it with you. So much about his life I never knew. For example his first paying gig was for NOT Playing the drums! A neighbor paid him to be quiet while he was home! LOL He wrote a beautiful song, completely orchestrated, on a childs piano! He didn't play by the rules, he made the bass sing like no other! (Ok, that one I knew.)Also didn't realize he was manic depressive and died a horrible death.

I want to go hear Pat Metheny play sometime. I love the big bands and Swing music which is so hard to find being played these days.

BTW Did you ever see that movie Swing Kids? Kind of a "G" movie but fun to watch. Interesting insights of Swing and WWII.

Ya know, we all may disagree on politics and other things on this board, but we all LOVE the music! TIM got us all here, but it's the music that binds us all together!
Zachmozach Posted - 09/22/2005 : 9:13:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

not exactly guitarist, plays bass, Jaco Pastorius !

A friend has really turned me on to his music, although I had listened to him before.

Ya hearing him play Donna Lee is both inspiring and humbling. I really like his Big Band stuff too. His charts have this intensity to them even when they are the softer quieter tunes. Plus his work on Bright Size life with Metheny, (one of the greats on guitar) is really, really good. A cool Jaco CD is the Big Band Tribute to Jaco that came out a year or two ago. It's got all the top players and members from the big band playing a bunch of his charts. The list of players is great, from wooten, to marcus miller, and even his kid Felix. Just a great album for any jaco fan.

Speaking of Felix he is his daddies boy, and he is playing a few dates with Jeff Coffin, Futureman, and Kofi Burbridge, which should be great and he also has a great band going called the way of the groove if I'm not mistaken.
PJK Posted - 09/22/2005 : 5:44:54 PM
not exactly guitarist, plays bass, Jaco Pastorius !

A friend has really turned me on to his music, although I had listened to him before.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 08/19/2005 : 6:01:30 PM
I arranged four on six for two people, because it works better that way with the bass line rather than using loop sampling.
Zachmozach Posted - 08/17/2005 : 1:45:19 PM
I just realized that I didn't mention Romero Lubambo. Romero is a brazilian based guitarist that can rip through standards, sambas, and is one of the best cats out playing today. If you don't check out Romero playing on nylon strings you are just hurting yourself. He is just amazing and if you're in to the brazilian thing it's something you have to hear.
Hopeful Rolling Waves Posted - 08/17/2005 : 07:41:41 AM
Jon McLaughlin
Stanley Jordan (should be on everyone's list, vituoso to say the least)
Wes Montgomery (love those octave solos)
Django Reinhardt
Antonio Carlos Jobim
Kenny Burrell

Shit gotta run. Check out Jordan, you fuckers.
Zachmozach Posted - 08/16/2005 : 2:46:24 PM
Ya it's great chart. I love hearing Wes play it. Good luck on a chord/melody because that would be a diffucult one to do well by yourself.
guitarisPIMP Posted - 08/15/2005 : 7:22:08 PM
four on six is fast becoming one of my favorite tunes, man, i'm making a chord melody with as i speak...er, type.
Zachmozach Posted - 08/15/2005 : 3:14:20 PM
Charlie Christian-The guy died too young, but everyone dug this cat. I think monk even said that he didn't even like hearing other people play the guitar because Charlie had spoiled him so much.

Wes Montgomery- Check out his playing on the chart four on six. Incredible!

Tal Farlow-Not a lot of soul from this guy, but he can play his ass off and the speed is blurring sometimes.

Pat Metheny- I like his earlier stuf better and songX with ornette, but his new album is a gem too.

Pat Martino- Think Tank is an allstar album with Christian McBride on bass and it's pretty intense.

Mike Stern- Played in Miles' band in the 80's. Hip player, but he doesn't really explore the full tone range you can get with a guitar most of the time instead it's more like a steady unchanging tone. Still can play though.

Mundell Lowe- I'm not sure if I'm spelling his name right off the top of my head, but he came and did a clinic at our school this year and this guy is good. He's played with everyone too, from charlie parker to miles, to Bill Evans. He's way old now, but he can still play.

Then I have to say a few local names I'm impressed with. Dan Balmer, and John Stowell. Both hip players that do their own thing and have a unique approach to the instrument.

That and I have to second every name mentioned so far.
rubylith Posted - 08/15/2005 : 11:46:22 AM
Django Reinhardt
Joe Pass
Stanley Jordan

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000