Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 I'm learning German

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erich Posted - 05/11/2005 : 2:34:18 PM
But its a bitch cause I've no one to talk to! Been learning for a few months now, 2h a week. Can't say Im horrible for where im at, but id like to be a little better.
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tericee Posted - 05/12/2005 : 10:11:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jiyra

erich, if you're willing to type it out, I know the perfect girl for you to talk to, she's been taking German for...6 years, I think; IM me and I'll hand her over.

You could practice listening to German by listening to online radio. The only URLs I can offer are http://www.hundertsiebensieben.de/ and http://eleaston.com/german-speak.html#r

Or - you could look for cute German girls who have voice chat capability and talk to them... (You'd need to be free during the day, or be a night-owl because of the time difference.) My friend who's in grad school over here uses voice/video chat to keep in touch with her family and friends in the States.

tericee Posted - 05/12/2005 : 04:33:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

why is it i only see the double s in type?

We don't have the esszet (ß) or the umlauts (ä, ö, ü) on our keyboards (or in URLs and such), so it's easier to type them the easy way: ss, ae, oe, ue.

If you want to though, you can type them using the Alt key on your keyboard. There's a website with info http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm
tericee Posted - 05/12/2005 : 04:18:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by enthuTIMsiast

quote:
Originally posted by tericee

COME VISIT ME!! We can walk around my neighborhood speaking German all day long. There's lots of beer, if that's what you're into.

Teri, what part are you in? Probably should know that.. but you know... I'm not great with details, I guess. Or something. I was in the Saxon part for a while, and I LOVE IT!!! I don't know why Germans and German stuff is just so fascinating and enjoyable to me.

I live in Stuttgart, which is in the state of Baden Wurttemburg. We have two big beer fests each year -- one in spring (just ended last weekend) and one at the end of September. However, I prefer the wine fest in August and the Christmas Market (Weinachtsmarkt) in December.

I am within easy driving (or train if you do the eurail pass thing) distance of Munich (nice beer), Frankfurt (HQ of the Euro bank), Heidelberg (nice castle), Baden Baden (nice spas), and even some parts of Switzerland (the German speaking region) and Austria.

Saxony is where Dresden is -- it's in the former East Germany. Fluffy has friend there and LOVES it. I *will* visit there before I move in late 2006. I've heard they have a lovely Weinachtsmarkt, so I may go this December. There's a goot website about Dresden at http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/dres/
tericee Posted - 05/12/2005 : 04:05:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Erich

Mein Spanisch ist besser als mein Deutsch

Ich auch!
Zachmozach Posted - 05/11/2005 : 10:24:42 PM
3 years in high school, but I've let it slide to barely being able to say anything, but I'm thinking of taking it again. Only if I am going to Germany though because the only way to learn a language is to just go somewhere where they speak it and sink or swim. It seems like half the people I know are very good spanish speakers but I only know one person who speaks german so it can't be the most useful language.

Ich Spiele das (I don't remember if it's die der or das for this, but oh well) Guitarre.

That's about all I know.
Erich Posted - 05/11/2005 : 10:09:49 PM
I shall IM you tomorrow! I'll put you on my buddy list for the time being. danke :D
Jiyra Posted - 05/11/2005 : 9:52:19 PM
erich, if you're willing to type it out, I know the perfect girl for you to talk to, she's been taking German for...6 years, I think; IM me and I'll hand her over.
dan p. Posted - 05/11/2005 : 9:33:28 PM
why is it i only see the double s in type?
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/11/2005 : 5:23:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

COME VISIT ME!! We can walk around my neighborhood speaking German all day long. There's lots of beer, if that's what you're into.

Teri, what part are you in? Probably should know that.. but you know... I'm not great with details, I guess. Or something. I was in the Saxon part for a while, and I LOVE IT!!! I don't know why Germans and German stuff is just so fascinating and enjoyable to me.
pants_happy Posted - 05/11/2005 : 5:09:34 PM
i think the most important thing about sounding like a young authentic german is to talk overly fruity. seriously, unless all of our well-acted videos were wrong, you're not speaking german until you're creaming your pants talking about a calculator.

probably the funniest video i ever saw in any year of german had to do with checking into a hotel:
a man and woman in their 30's enter the reception area, holding hands, and talk to the clerk. they get a room and are on their way.
a much older couple walks in and does the same.
2 twenty year old guys casually walk in and get a room for the night...

here are two common, useful german phrases:
Diser Scheise schmeckt sehr lecker! (This shit is delicious!)
Du bist mein Onkle. (You are my uncle.) (you use this one more than you'd think is necessary.)
Arthen Posted - 05/11/2005 : 4:34:47 PM
And the ä is ae, same with "u"s and "o"s.
Erich Posted - 05/11/2005 : 4:22:38 PM
its pronouced like a ss. So the word for street, Straße, is pronouced Strasse.
dan p. Posted - 05/11/2005 : 4:12:46 PM
german is useful to know, especially if you plan to do anything with mahler's music. fucker just wrote paragraphs on the score. it's like program music, but the audienece never sees any of the program.

what is that cursive b thing?
Erich Posted - 05/11/2005 : 3:56:36 PM
Arthen - Ich habe für fünf monate Deutsch studiert. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut, aber es ist nicht sehr schlecht; Mein Spanisch ist besser als mein Deutsch Ich habe im Feb. nach Berlin gegangen. Die Mädchen im Deutschland ist sehr heiß Bitte, bitte, gib mir das!

Teri - Im definatlygoing to go back within the next year, since i really liked it there. It would be great to see you when i do :)
tericee Posted - 05/11/2005 : 3:08:09 PM
I'll be here another year and a half...
tericee Posted - 05/11/2005 : 3:06:59 PM
Ich spreche nur ein bißchen Deutsch. Mostly in restaurants and gas stations. Since I'm at work speaking English 40 or more hours a week, German's just not becoming second nature.

Arthen Posted - 05/11/2005 : 3:05:17 PM
Ah! Du lernst Deutsch, jah? Ich habe Deutsch fuer ein paar Jahre gesprochen. Hast du zu Deutschland reisen?

I'm definitely not fluent, but I like to pretend I know more than I do. I need to get over to Germany and get immersed.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/11/2005 : 2:50:31 PM
teri, maybe? Surely she knows some.

I love the German language, and would love for the 4 semesters I've taken to be useful...

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000