Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Preach Your Favorite Bands Here

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jimiforrest Posted - 08/14/2004 : 02:24:29 AM
This idea works on all forums and I love doing this because it always opens up possiblities for everybody, especially me.

Eric Johnson - This guy is fucking smooth. Classic rock and roll style virtuso music and the sweetest guitar tone in the world. Excellent musicianship, nice jamming live and picture perfect studio recordings (Cliffs of Dover, anyone?). I suggest you go and pick up his live CD - Alien Love Child.

Eric Sardinas - Whoopass guitar virtuoso from, ?Kentucky?, maybe a little more country, but plenty of crazy ass antics with creative dynamics in very odd situations. The only time I've ever seen him live was on a Steve Vai DVD for the encore. They were playing a song that relied heavily on distortion and whammy tricks, (Vai is a great guitarist if you don't know) and Eric played a dobro guitar with a slide and played every single fucking note including the whammy pitches without either. He's just amazing.

In Flames - Brilliantly thought out prog rock that stays in your head long after you listen to it. Anything pre-Soundtrack era is just absoloutely stunningly dynamic and fun to listen to.

I'll think of more...
37   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rubylith Posted - 09/15/2004 : 10:16:16 AM
i heard that some jerks were screaming "FREEBIRD!" out at Ben FOlds Five...so they actually played the entire song, like realy long and draw out to piss them off. i always thought that was funny as hell.
Arthen Posted - 09/15/2004 : 03:17:49 AM
Really? I thought he did a really good job taking them solo.
La Mer De Noms Posted - 09/14/2004 : 10:26:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthen

Oh yeah! BFF rules, but my favorite album is "Ben Folds Live". That's a great live album.

it's hard for me to listen to him without the band. it just sounds so empty.
Arthen Posted - 09/14/2004 : 10:24:28 PM
Oh yeah! BFF rules, but my favorite album is "Ben Folds Live". That's a great live album.
La Mer De Noms Posted - 09/14/2004 : 9:59:25 PM
Ben Folds Five

i cant seem to get enough of them recently.
guitarted Posted - 09/04/2004 : 10:06:45 AM
quote:

And one of their best songs: "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature".

Yea, the best part of that song is at the end when they sing both together
Arthen Posted - 09/03/2004 : 11:53:20 PM
And one of their best songs: "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature".
guitarted Posted - 09/03/2004 : 5:17:55 PM
I recently discovered a great classic rock Canadian band, The Guess Who.

I used to always hear them but I never listened to their music seriously. I noticed all of a sudden that they have an AMAZING singer. The singing is what truely makes the music.

The Guess Who wrote the original, and ever so famous, AMERICAN WOMAN (later covered by Lenny Kravitz)

I really recommend them

A few good songs to check out - Undun, Share the Land
Jimiforrest Posted - 08/27/2004 : 03:27:29 AM
HOLY SHIT I FORGET. Derek Trucks Band. My god. Just go fucking listen to them.
Arthen Posted - 08/23/2004 : 12:25:45 PM
Check out "Between the Buttons" by the Rolling Stones. It's their earlier more blues sounding stuff, very piano driven. In my opinion, it's better than their stuff from 1980 on.
guitarted Posted - 08/23/2004 : 10:27:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

i don't understand what's so remarkable about the stones or coldplay.

I agree. Their music is fine, but it's never been 'blow your mind awesome' to me. It just more music, catchy tunes

When the stones came to Toronto for SarsStock, AC/DC stole the show. Justin Timberlake got boo'ed for his entire set. hahaha
dan p. Posted - 08/22/2004 : 11:31:02 PM
i don't understand what's so remarkable about the stones or coldplay.
Oozle Posted - 08/22/2004 : 10:24:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jay

Ohioan? Where in this great state of...Wal Marts...did you grow up in?

In Pickerington. It's a suburb of Columbus.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 08/22/2004 : 8:22:28 PM
Floyd
SRV/Double Trouble
Flecktones
The Guitar Trio
AC/DC
U2
DMB
Zeppelin
Clapton
Aerosmith
Coldplay
BMG
Black Crowes
DTB
Marley
CGT
P-Funk
Stones
KWS
Hendrix
Buffett
Floyd and SRV again for good measure.

I could go on, but my head would explode from the awesomeness of one more kickass band. I guess the bands I listen to need no preaching... because I listen to the best damn music on the freakin' planet.
Jay Posted - 08/22/2004 : 2:29:16 PM
Ohioan? Where in this great state of...Wal Marts...did you grow up in?
Oozle Posted - 08/20/2004 : 7:30:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CPPJames

quote:
Originally posted by guitarted

The Tragically Hip - If you're not Canadian, you probably don't know of them but they are VERY well known all across Canada and they are awesome. They are bigger than the Barenaked Ladies (better too), yet the barenaked ladies are a Canadian band that do much better in the USA.

I'm a fan of the Hip...not as much as some people I know, but I definitely can get into them. You're right that they're infinitely bigger in Canada than the US. You get south of Buffalo and no one's ever heard of them.

I have liked them for many, many years and I grew up in Ohio. Course I am cooler than most Ohioans. LOL
Saint Jude Posted - 08/18/2004 : 9:13:08 PM
www.dredg.com

great band, immagine if floyd were reborn in todays generation.
guitarted Posted - 08/18/2004 : 11:20:08 AM
quote:

A Canadian band has a song called "New Orleans is Sinking"? That's it, I'm writing a song called "Toronto is Melting".

I think an American band writting about Canada is MUCH less common than a Canadian band writting about America.

I hope that you will take the opportunity to give them a listen though, its great background/party music.
Arthen Posted - 08/18/2004 : 12:43:09 AM
A Canadian band has a song called "New Orleans is Sinking"? That's it, I'm writing a song called "Toronto is Melting".
Jay Posted - 08/18/2004 : 12:34:42 AM
Lately Ive been listening to a lot of Primus...If you've never seen a Primus concert, do that now before it's too late...Easily one of the best shows I've ever witnessed...A lot of really strong jams and solos, they played about 10 songs, half of which were 10 minutes or more and none of which were piss breaks...If you've only heard them before and didn't like them that much, seeing them live is gonna change that...

All right...
guitarted Posted - 08/17/2004 : 7:45:51 PM
quote:

My favorite Canadian band: Barenaked Ladies!

Hah this proves my point from above. The barenaked Ladies are much mroe popular than the tragically hip in the USA.

I havent met someone who likes BNL and doesnt like the tragically hip. Please check them out

some songs I'd recommend :
Fireworks, fifth emmision cap, new orleans is sinking

that's just to start
Arthen Posted - 08/17/2004 : 7:24:32 PM
The Guess Who are running, but not very well. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but it isn't the '60s anymore, and they are a lot older now.

My favorite Canadian band: Barenaked Ladies!
guitarted Posted - 08/17/2004 : 7:07:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by CPPJames

quote:

The Tragically Hip - If you're not Canadian, you probably don't know of them but they are VERY well known all across Canada and they are awesome. They are bigger than the Barenaked Ladies (better too), yet the barenaked ladies are a Canadian band that do much better in the USA.

I'm a fan of the Hip...not as much as some people I know, but I definitely can get into them. You're right that they're infinitely bigger in Canada than the US. You get south of Buffalo and no one's ever heard of them.

Yea , I'm willing to believe that Buffalo would know them.

The thing is, even if you don't know the tragically hip in Canada, you've heard all their songs.

Even our classic rock station plays tragically hip. It's like an essential current canadian band.

Other Canadian Classic bands still running - RUSH, THE GUESS WHO

im not a big fan of either though, at all
CPPJames Posted - 08/17/2004 : 5:46:06 PM
quote:

guitarted Posted - 08/17/2004 : 5:21:19 PM
CPPJames Posted - 08/17/2004 : 10:44:02 AM
I have to echo the Chris Isaak statement(s). The guy's late night show makes me question him a bit, but I can't get over his voice. I think if I could have one man's voice, it'd be a toss up between Chris Isaak, Chris Cornell and Don Henley.

Speaking of Cornell, I'd have to throw Soundgarden near the top of my list...miss that band. Audioslave just isn't the same, something about Kim Thayil I think. Cornell's overall talent is way up there.
rubylith Posted - 08/17/2004 : 08:56:44 AM
whitley
Arthen Posted - 08/14/2004 : 9:33:41 PM
MMW rules. Flecktones are awesome to. Sometimes I like to use Phish as a test of will and endurance, but I like most of their stuff.
Zachmozach Posted - 08/14/2004 : 9:07:35 PM
I actually like Farmhouse a lot too and Round Room for that matter but it's just not something that I'm really into. I guess for a couple of years I just listened to so much Phish I'm taking a break.
dan p. Posted - 08/14/2004 : 9:04:50 PM
i like farmhouse a lot, to tell you the truth. a lot of the phish fans don't like it. i don't understand why. there's a lot of good stuff on the cd.
Zachmozach Posted - 08/14/2004 : 8:23:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

flecktones are awesome. although i could never really get into phish all that much. trey's great and everything, he's got all kinds of wicked scales and things, but it seems that there's a real lack of direction a lot of the time. especially when jamming. i can only listen to a man solo for so long, no matter how good he is. that's the problem with a lot of long songs, though. it's very tough to keep something interesting for that long. they manage it sometimes, but a lot of the time it doesn't really stand up to intensive listening.

Ya I should have said still like phish but not into Phish. I was more into the earlier stuff and the stuff they actually composed instead of just wrote from improvisations.
dan p. Posted - 08/14/2004 : 8:13:19 PM
flecktones are awesome. although i could never really get into phish all that much. trey's great and everything, he's got all kinds of wicked scales and things, but it seems that there's a real lack of direction a lot of the time. especially when jamming. i can only listen to a man solo for so long, no matter how good he is. that's the problem with a lot of long songs, though. it's very tough to keep something interesting for that long. they manage it sometimes, but a lot of the time it doesn't really stand up to intensive listening.
Zachmozach Posted - 08/14/2004 : 7:29:08 PM
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones and all the solo projects everyone has done from the band.

MMW has some pretty cool stuff out like uninvisible.

Anything with Jaco. Weather Report, with metheny etc.

Still like Phish

Jazz Mandolin Project is pretty cool as well.

There's a lot to list but mostly I'm just addicted to the Flecktones.
Arthen Posted - 08/14/2004 : 4:37:35 PM
I was only making the comment because pretty much everytime I play him for someone, they make that connection.
dan p. Posted - 08/14/2004 : 4:13:57 PM
elliot smith has nothing to do with emo. i don't understand how you drew that comparison.
Arthen Posted - 08/14/2004 : 2:13:26 PM
Chris Isaak is fantastic.

Elliott Smith - sounds emo, but I don't consider him so.

Peter Gabriel - check out the PG thread.

Van Morrison - A lot of soul for a goofy looking white guy.

Nick Drake - Great and dead. Lush, melodic folk music.
dan p. Posted - 08/14/2004 : 11:52:30 AM
blind guardian: anything after they got off that ridiculous speed metal thing is outstanding. get "and then there was silence." remember one man does all the vocals.

ed gein: the most technical and brutal hardcore/metalcore you'll ever even hear. you have two listen to it twice, though. i hated it the first time, too. best song: "the marlboro man is a douchebag."

liquid tension experiment: already covered this one.

chris isaak: after all the bitching about these types of musicians i do, i should hate this guy. i fucking love him.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000