Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 If I hear the word CARB one more time..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
guitarted Posted - 06/22/2004 : 11:38:36 AM
This CARB craze is pissing me off. I'm sure the NON-FAT craze was big as well, but I'm too young to remember when that would have started. This carb crap is driving me nuts though.
People have got to stop this crap.
My mom bought bought on low carb bread the other day and i made a sandwich with it.

It was like shredded paper.

Tonight, I think I'm gonna have a big bowl of PASTA with tomato sauce and ill dip some toasted BAGEL in the sauce and I'll wash it down with a BEER and then I'll snack on some CROUTONS later. I'll laugh at every sick carb/calorie countin bastard as I do it too.
33   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PJK Posted - 06/29/2004 : 7:19:42 PM
Well stated Silky!

I do have to stay away from wheat and sugar, because my body can't handle them, but there are carbs in veggies and non-wheat products. Personally I like to eat regular food, fruit, veggies, meat etc. I am not big on any processed foods.

BTW, I do make some pretty darn good pies! (refering to the little guitar thread, hehe) And they are loaded with carbs! Fat too, in the crust, hehe, but let me tell you they are delicious! (even though I am not supposed to eat that stuff,everyone needs to splurge once in a while. hehe)
tericee Posted - 06/29/2004 : 3:27:27 PM
Please, tell me! What's *in* the Fanta Commercial that's so awful? I've never seen it...
dan p. Posted - 06/29/2004 : 3:13:48 PM
the fanta commercial scars me to the bone.
guitarted Posted - 06/29/2004 : 09:24:49 AM
They were referring to the tall boy beer cans as

"SLIM CAN"s for some low carb molson brew.

Pisses me off.

p.s. well said silky. some great points with just a touch of insanity
tericee Posted - 06/29/2004 : 03:58:27 AM
Wow, that was good! Especially for a rant. I don't think you had any spelling or grammar mistakes.

I'm intrigued by your Fanta comment, though. I haven't seen the commercials, but Fanta is very popular over here in Germany so I'm wondering what's in them that's got you so annoyed...

teri :)
Silky The Pimp Posted - 06/29/2004 : 01:39:40 AM
[rant]

The carb craze will invariably die out, much the same way the fat free craze did a decade ago... and I'll tell ya why.

People are brainless morons.

OK, I can do better than that, but I weep for humanity when I see beer commercials advertising that they are low carb, for reasons too obvious to state. It's BEER... fucking BEER! The mere concept makes me want to jab my ears out with rusty spoons just so I won't have to hear the inanity anymore. But as we all know, and by "we all," I of course refer to those of us with the capacity to observe the average man and say, "What a fucking idiot!" ... one loses weight by creating a deficit between the number of calories one takes in and the number of calories one uses. No shit, right? Rocket science. I think there are apes that could grasp that concept... but not the American public. That's my new rule of thumb... if something is so common sensical that you could teach it to a special-ed. rock, the American public will undoubtedly be shocked when they find out they're fucking themselves in the ear.

Anyway, by pure logic alone, if taking in fewer calories is the key to weight loss by diet, rather than EXERCISE of course, then what must the low carb or fat free diets have done to cause weight loss? Holy fuck, they must make you eat less! Of course people lose weight when they go on these diets! By virtue of it being a DIET, you have to cut certain things from your regular eating habits. So initially, when someone might normally snack on a "Big Grab" of Doritos when they stop at the gas station, they have to cut all the little things like that out because their new diet doesn't allow for it. Therefore, due to a lesser availability of foods that are allowable to one's diet, one eats less and a caloric deficit is created... hence, weight loss. Holy shit. Well, that's obviously why people put themselves on these neo-fucktard diets, but here are the reasons they'll be off them quite soon.

What people failed to grasp with the fat free craze was that "no fat" never meant "no calories." As the availability of fat free products rose (substantially for those of you who remember), you could go to the gas station and instead of passing on a "Big Grab" of Doritos like at the start of the diet, people now were getting full size bags of "fat free" Doritos and eating the whole bag. After it caught on, there was fat free shit all over the place, and suddenly people were eating just as much as they were before their diets, and in most cases more, and they didn't realize that they were still eating a shitload of calories in all the foods that they thought they were supposed to be able to eat and be skinny. So, holy crap, everyone gained the weight right back. Availability killed the fat free craze, plain and simple. Mix that with with a binary opposite of intelligence and you've got a recipe for a bunch of lazy, fat fucking fad following freaks (brilliant alliteration on my part) that sat on their fat fucking asses eating the fuck out of fat free junk food, gaining weight and wondering why they don't look like the hot as my nutsack celebrities that EXERCISE 5 times a week and eat a PROPER... FUCKING... DIET. Ahhhhhhh! Where are my rusty spoons?

Are we seeing any parallels yet? The carb counting diets are even more asinine. Now, not only do we have people eating all the newly available "carb friendly" foods (again, availability... they're everywhere now), but that same dumbfuck attitude is still here. Now you've got people thinking they can gorge themselves on 3 pounds of lard-fried bacon and cheese for a meal and lose weight and be healthy... ummm, no. Cutting out carbs doesn't negate the use of portion sizes (calories people). This is all not to mention the effects this shit must be having on peoples' hearts.

I am anxiously awaiting the headlines that read, "Study shows Atkins diet causes severe heart disease: Entire medical community says, 'No Shit.'" Then, quicker than it came, it'll be gone, and we can get back to beer commercials that involve bikini models, smear campaigns, frogs, and chauvinist cock heavy humor... the way it should be.

Thankfully, I'm nearing the end of my venting, and more thankfully I can sleep well at night knowing that this will all be gone soon... but one thing does haunt my dreams even more so than carb counters...

...the FANTA commercial. I don't wanna fanta, ever. This needs to end before it really begins... because if our society responds to advertising like this, then I don't want any part of it. God have mercy on us all. I think I left my spoons downstairs...
[/rant]
guitarted Posted - 06/28/2004 : 2:23:10 PM
I wonder what the NEXT weight loss fad will be after this.

Imagine it was some ingredient that they started adding to food so that you barf it up without having to jam your fingers down your throat.

All the stores would brag that their food has this ingredient in their salad dressings etc.. now

There's a thin line between the drastic measures taken to lose weight that are and aren't socially acceptable
KevinLesko Posted - 06/25/2004 : 3:19:48 PM
I hear ya man, this whole low carb diet is more of a fad, or "the cool, trendy thing to do" more than anything. Here in So Cal it's horrible, I mean it's bad enough to see mothers and daughters walking together and not being able to tell the difference, but now they are all on the bandwagon. The key to being in shape is simply exercise paired with a WELL-BALANCED DIET. Key word = balanced, which does not mean elimination of things.
guitarted Posted - 06/25/2004 : 1:24:47 PM
One thnig I've learned from my grandfather:

No matter how old or fat you get, keep moving at least a little. You know how much it sucks to become so weak you can't walk anymore?

It creates a vicious circle. You don't move so you get depressed because you feel helpless. And you don't get better because you feel like you're going to die all day.

My granfather is great, but being around him too much is depressing for me.
dan p. Posted - 06/24/2004 : 9:26:49 PM
luckily, i gave up on not looking like a slob a while ago. at best, i'n only a little homely. and yeah, i'll probably end up losing some years off my life, but those years are at the end of my life, and they suck anyway. i'd rather eat well and die a little past my prime rather than waste away in my skin, helpless and wallowing in my own wastes.
Macht Posted - 06/24/2004 : 4:37:17 PM
I bought some ice cream and whip cream with my cousin and we were having a good time...

My cousin was like heh, its not as fat as I thought it was. I read the ice cream thing (we both had a ice cream sandwhich). I'm like dude, we're gonna die 45% fat per serving, serving per container: 3
guitarted Posted - 06/24/2004 : 4:28:28 PM
I think that everyone gets so caught up in all tis diet and exercise stuff they forget something. Eating normally isn't going to make you fat. If you enjoy your eggs and bacon, and you like your beer etc.. As long as it isn't to excess, it's acceptable. I hate the way commercials make you feel like everything that comes near you mouth has to be measured for:
FAT
CARBS
VITAMINS

Not only that. That dietary info on the side of boxes and shit is SO dishonest. If you read it on chips. it'll say like "100 calories". Doesn't sound too bad. Then you realize it says at the top "SERVING OF 5 CHIPS". I once bought a bottle of Iced Tea that told me dietary info of half the bottle and claimed that was one serving. WTF!

As if they actually honestly think most people are buying a bottle of iced tea and sharing it with someone else.

I hate companies that do this. Its so souless. They truely have little faith in their own product, so they have to beat around the bush and hope their consumers don't notice that their getting fucked over.
Jay Posted - 06/24/2004 : 4:06:15 PM
I won't tell you guys how I did it...But I went from 210 to about 175 in three and a half months...And I'm holding out at about 175 now...I don't know how, it just happened...Exersize? hahahahaha...nope...

Diets piss me off...I mean, I can understand if you are really overweight and need to lose weight for health reasons...But Jesus, I hardly consider 10 pounds over what the "charts" say to be unhealthy. I lost 35 pounds, I don't feel any better god dammit...People get too crazy over this weightloss shit...my method...DON'T EAT LIKE A FUCKIN PIG!!! Eat what you want, just not as much, god dammit. My theory is, if you know it's not the healthiest morsel to consume, don't eat twelve of them at a sitting...it's that easy. People don't seem to get it.
tericee Posted - 06/24/2004 : 4:05:46 PM
Granted, but it's nice to know the diet is available to me when I'm happy with how I look, but the Air Force thinks I need to be 10-15 lbs lighter. I have to weigh whatever their charts say; their charts are much more forgiving for tall people, and I'm less than 5 foot 2.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 06/24/2004 : 3:50:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by guitarted
This is why carb cutting pisses me off. It's just another lazy man's get thin without the effort scheme.

Exactly. I have a friend that lost 80 lbs on Atkins. He eats virtually NO carbs at all and is a huge jackass and know-it-all about the low carb revolution. He's also a lazy bastard. I lost 10 or 15 pounds just cutting my overall fat and calorie and food in general consumption, and exercising pretty much daily. He noticed and said "hey have you lost some weight?" He asked me how. I made sure to say diet and exercise, emphasize AND EXERCISE.

Adam
guitarted Posted - 06/24/2004 : 1:51:00 PM
Another thing. Carbs are energy, they are only really a negative fi you aren't exercising. If you are exercising regularly, then you are making good use of the carbs you consume anyway.

This is why carb cutting pisses me off. It's just another lazy man's get thin without the effort scheme.

That's practically an oxymoron
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 06/24/2004 : 12:01:46 PM
[quoteI know you don't want to hear this, but the theory is that fat doesn't matter on a low carb diet. (At least that's what "Atkins New Diet Revolution" says.) If your diet has few enough carbs, the fat is not processed by your body in the same way. It is burned for energy right away, rather than being stored in your thighs, butt, etc. This is why low carb people couldn't care less about fat grams.
[/quote]

But they might care when they drop dead at 30 of a heart attack. Just because it doesn't go to your thighs and butt doesn't mean it doesn't clog your arterys.

Adam
dan p. Posted - 06/24/2004 : 11:58:20 AM
that and they're delusioned. and of course "atkin's revolutionary diet" says that. that's their product. show me details from experiments.
tericee Posted - 06/24/2004 : 11:37:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Macht

A person needs carbs too, what people don't realize that is thing that tend to ahve lower carbs have a lot of fat in them

I know you don't want to hear this, but the theory is that fat doesn't matter on a low carb diet. (At least that's what "Atkins New Diet Revolution" says.) If your diet has few enough carbs, the fat is not processed by your body in the same way. It is burned for energy right away, rather than being stored in your thighs, butt, etc. This is why low carb people couldn't care less about fat grams.
Macht Posted - 06/23/2004 : 5:36:01 PM
A person needs carbs too, what people don't realize that is thing that tend to ahve lower carbs have a lot of fat in them
Fleabass76 Posted - 06/23/2004 : 5:31:20 PM
I think the most amusing low-carb thing I've seen has been at Denny's. Low carb breakfast, which consists of Bacon, Sausage, and an egg. Maybe ham too. I dunno, its just funny though.

The problem is that people are cutting carbs out of their diet but they're doing it without researching what their body needs. If you eat bacon and bratwurst all the time, you're going to die fast, obviously. My dad has lost 40 pounds in about 6 months by not cutting, but reducing the amount of carbs in his diet.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 06/23/2004 : 3:07:43 PM
Most low carb diets I've seen let you eat all the Bacon, burgers, and other foods high in fat that you want. I can't wait until the Atkins trend is stopped in its tracks by a bunch of people dropping dead from heart attacks.

Adam
dan p. Posted - 06/23/2004 : 12:16:53 PM
people just getting out of the bath have been pushing their shitty products on me for years.

at least it didn't come from the black robes. hahahaha. jesus.
guitarted Posted - 06/23/2004 : 12:03:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

why do i get the feeling that the decision to tell us all about this simple way to lose weight and feel great was made more by people in suits than people in white robes. i mean like doctor robes.

I thought you meant people who just got out of the bath.

you get that feeling because it's true
dan p. Posted - 06/23/2004 : 12:02:02 PM
why do i get the feeling that the decision to tell us all about this simple way to lose weight and feel great was made more by people in suits than people in white robes. i mean like doctor robes.
Macht Posted - 06/23/2004 : 11:43:25 AM
Tivo thinks I'm gay...

But it's more than on the TV, you walk down an aisle in a store and you see LOW CARB!!! on nearly all the bags. You have people talking to you when you go to their house, this meal is low carb, SO IT'S GOOD FOR YOU.

If I were to make a diet book, it would be two pages long saying:

Burn more calories than you intake, simple as that. If you burn more than you intake, you thin up, if you intake more than your burn, you fat up. That's why you shouldn't eat 'bad' foods, becuase tbhey add more fat to you. Carbs, you need like hundred grams of it a day to stay healthy. You'll need it too for energy. I lost 10 pounds in one week by just getting up and running around, true story, I ahte BREAD, and PASTA
tericee Posted - 06/23/2004 : 08:52:21 AM
I hadn't watched American TV in a long time, but then went to the States for a week in May. I couldn't believe the number of low carb commercials. I got sick of them after only a few days, so I can't even imagine the torture you're going through.

The only solution: GET TIVO!!!
dan p. Posted - 06/22/2004 : 3:35:10 PM
no, i checked. it's a great idea.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 06/22/2004 : 1:19:10 PM
We salute you, Mr. Over The Top Carb Counter.

Adam
guitarted Posted - 06/22/2004 : 12:19:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

i have this great idea where i write "low carb" on rat posion just to see if people will eat it.

"Great"?

or just and idea?
dan p. Posted - 06/22/2004 : 12:09:27 PM
i have this great idea where i write "low carb" on rat posion just to see if people will eat it.
Arthen Posted - 06/22/2004 : 12:01:29 PM
No one's forcing you to eat the low carb stuff. Some people's metabolisms just don't deal well with carbs.
Macht Posted - 06/22/2004 : 11:46:59 AM
I'M WITH YA MAN!!!

I'LL EAT WHATEVER I WANT, WHENEVER I WANT!!!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000