Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Bela Fleck on Conan O'Brian

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KevinLesko Posted - 10/13/2003 : 3:05:18 PM
12:35 a.m. Late Night With Conan O'Brien: BELA FLECK

Just saw this on the weekly TV appearance schedule that Rolling Stone puts out. You know damn well I'll be watching this. Just wanted to give everyone a heads-up.

Friday night Oct. 17.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fleabass76 Posted - 10/22/2003 : 6:52:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by victorwootenfan

quote:
Originally posted by SurferX

Does anyone else here hate Vic Wooten for being so damn good? Anytime you can be playing a solo, and then as you're playing it, scratch your nose, and then go back to the solo w/o missing a note...He deserves to be hit in the head with a dead fish.

nah, he's good man, he's work hard on music, and he's been playing bass since he was 2. it's expected almost.

He's also payed his dues playing in variety bands and such. Even though he is a complete freak of nature...him and his entire family.
PJK Posted - 10/22/2003 : 6:48:45 PM
Looks like Bella is going to have some competition. I saw 11 year old Ryan Holladay on TV and this kid is amazing! He was the youngest person to play on the Grand Old Oprey. I think he said he started playing the banjo when he was 4.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/22/2003 : 6:10:39 PM
quote:

Does anyone else here hate Vic Wooten for being so damn good? Anytime you can be playing a solo, and then as you're playing it, scratch your nose, and then go back to the solo w/o missing a note...He deserves to be hit in the head with a dead fish.

nah, he's good man, he's work hard on music, and he's been playing bass since he was 2. it's expected almost.
Uncle Meat Posted - 10/22/2003 : 3:01:39 PM
quote:

Frank Zappa did that exact same thing in Does Humor Belong In Music? back in 1985.

Oh lord... I apologize...
KevinLesko Posted - 10/22/2003 : 1:56:25 PM
haha, I forgot about that nose scratch, we noticed that too while watching. Only Vic!
SurferX Posted - 10/22/2003 : 1:54:46 PM
Fleabass76 Posted - 10/19/2003 : 7:57:30 PM
Yes, the guests were horrible. Arquette should stick to phone commercials with carrot top.

It also occured to me that probably at least half of the people who saw that performance were blown away, much like your roomate Kevin.
KevinLesko Posted - 10/19/2003 : 6:03:37 PM
I didn't get to see Radiohead, as it was Midnight Magic night for my college's basketball team, but I definately left early to catch Bela and the Tones, who I thought did an amazing performance. My roomate, who has never seen them before was impressed with Victor Wooten (as well he should be!) He mentioned how effortless everyone's playing looked and how despite the effortlessness, it still sounded perfect. So I think that is a perfect example of what performing on a show like that will do for you.

P.S. how awful were the guests??? Not even Conan could save their asses and make them seem interesting, although I loved it when he told Gershan "Have you been hanging out with Arquette in the back"? LOL

Also, another bit of synchronicity, the taylor, where Arquette mentioned did his suits, I saw last night while driving in Hollywood. It was WEIRD!
Erich Posted - 10/19/2003 : 4:00:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

They were great but I was left with the same feeling I had after seeing Radiohead on Letterman, they put on sooooo much crap before and leave the last 5 mins for one song by an awesome group. I wish they would be more like SNL and have the bands play at least 2 songs. It hardly seems worth it for a band to be on this type of show.

i agree, though just like was mentioned, when artists like Tim get exposure through crappy late night programing it still allows for a new demographic to appreciate the music.
{=HTG=} Posted - 10/19/2003 : 3:30:56 PM
Though they really need more time for a song like 'next.' When I saw them, the lights were dimmed and all you could hear was Bela's opening notes, then everytime Futureman hit a drum notes, the lights above would flash, and the band would slowly walk on stage. The song lasted about 10 minutes, and FM even had a solo on an actual drumset, not his synth-axe.
Fleabass76 Posted - 10/19/2003 : 03:15:02 AM
Maybe not, but when you think of it, that one performance could turn someone who has never seen or heard them play before on to them. Also, they're not very high maintenance. From what I could tell, Vic was plugged into a DI, Bela just had his rig and a small speaker cab, Future man into a DI, and Coffin mic'd. Easy set up and tear down, next stop.
PJK Posted - 10/18/2003 : 11:19:30 PM
They were great but I was left with the same feeling I had after seeing Radiohead on Letterman, they put on sooooo much crap before and leave the last 5 mins for one song by an awesome group. I wish they would be more like SNL and have the bands play at least 2 songs. It hardly seems worth it for a band to be on this type of show.
Fleabass76 Posted - 10/18/2003 : 7:47:43 PM
Indeed. It was definetely worth watching David Arquette be his usual annoying self.
{=HTG=} Posted - 10/18/2003 : 3:05:26 PM
Hhmm, they played 'next.' Victor's solos were awesome.
{=HTG=} Posted - 10/18/2003 : 01:10:15 AM
This is awesome. I just got back from work and I still havent missed it. I cant wait.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/18/2003 : 01:06:09 AM
waiting for it now, the conan show is lame right now/
Zachmozach Posted - 10/17/2003 : 6:49:22 PM
Wait did I hear correctly?
A second classical album from bela and Edgar?
That's the best thing I've heard today. And it will be the best thing all week till I watch Conan tonight or tommorow morning I guess.
PJK Posted - 10/14/2003 : 10:16:02 PM
Jesses, Glenside is really close, no further to get to than Philly for you, I will try to email you directions so you can see for yourself.
Uncle Meat Posted - 10/14/2003 : 9:59:57 PM
Pssh it figures that none of the good music gets on the earlier time slots.

But, hey I don't mind waiting up an hour or two later to see the good stuff... as I'm using workin' on stuff anyhow throughout the night...

What I'd really like to see is the episode of Conan where Dweezil and Ahmet Zappa played Black Sabbath's "The Wizard" with John Tesh... now THAT is quality entertainment!

Oh, by the way, I'm new.
bugman96 Posted - 10/14/2003 : 8:07:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

I was just sent this info. on Bela from the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA:

Fri., May 21, 2004, 8 PM: BELA FLECK and EDGAR MEYER! The master of anything banjo plus the celebrated bassist, touring in support of their upcoming second classical album together.

BTW, you are right Kevin, with Will Ferrel on Leno it will be a fun evening!

About how far from Philly is Glenside?
thomasode Posted - 10/14/2003 : 7:40:56 PM
wow this is great. they have had good music on Connan latley
Gov't Mule (Michael Moore was a guest)
North Mississippi All Stars
and plus connan has been doin some good funny shit
PJK Posted - 10/14/2003 : 4:09:49 PM
I was just sent this info. on Bela from the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA:

Fri., May 21, 2004, 8 PM: BELA FLECK and EDGAR MEYER! The master of anything banjo plus the celebrated bassist, touring in support of their upcoming second classical album together.

BTW, you are right Kevin, with Will Ferrel on Leno it will be a fun evening!
KevinLesko Posted - 10/14/2003 : 3:49:32 PM
The NBC website lists it as being Bela Fleck and the Flecktones!!! It also says that Will Ferrel will be the guest on Leno beforehand, so that should pass the time in an entertaining manner.

{=HTG=} Posted - 10/14/2003 : 07:26:43 AM
I'll make sure to check that out. Thanks for the heads up.
victorwootenfan Posted - 10/13/2003 : 4:58:25 PM
thanks man, is it bela solo, or with eddie, or with the band, or what?
PJK Posted - 10/13/2003 : 4:46:40 PM
Ah thanks Kevin! I will be watching for sure! I wanted to see Bela and the Flecktones at the Kimmel Center yesterday but couldn't because of going through chemo. I bet that was an amazing show! The Kimmel Center is an amazing place to hear music! My favorite venue!

KevinLesko Posted - 10/13/2003 : 4:42:52 PM
oh sorry, It is friday night, or early saturday morning depending on your view.
Zachmozach Posted - 10/13/2003 : 4:20:21 PM
Would that be tonight the 13th or when. Guess I'll just have to watch Conan till it comes on.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000