Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Ishmael

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PJK Posted - 07/02/2003 : 1:05:28 PM
I thought this deserves it's own topic. This is the book that Fluffy loves (which he recommended) which apparently was recommended to him by VictorWootenFan or Evergreen, or both.

To whoever posted about this book and especially to Fluffy, who recommended it to me, I must say "Thank You Very Much!"

This is the most thought provoking book I have ever read!

This is truly food for the soul! Do yourself a favor and buy it!

"Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn $15.95 best money ever spent! Worth every cent!
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
KevinLesko Posted - 07/24/2003 : 01:15:26 AM
Have only been able to read a little bit at a time during my lunch breaks at work, but I like it a lot so far. Tomorrow I don't work, and if the weather allows, I plan on going over to the pool and taking Ishmael to read.
Fluffy Posted - 07/22/2003 : 6:37:33 PM
Hey Teri, did you have a chance to check out Ishmael yet?

I gave her a copy on Saturday, I was hoping she would post her comments here about it.
KevinLesko Posted - 07/14/2003 : 6:57:48 PM
I bought Ishmael and plan on starting it tonight.
Fluffy Posted - 07/11/2003 : 5:29:54 PM
Based on my reaction to Ishmael, I am sure I will find the other 2 equally entertaining and informative. Thanx for the heads up!!!
victorwootenfan Posted - 07/11/2003 : 06:33:07 AM
MY ishmael is good, but not nearly as good as story of b. My Ismael also kinda makes fun of the guy in "ishmael" that goes to the gorilla, and it leaves you with a happier feeling. My ishmael has some cool plot stuff in it, on top of more of daniel quinn's lessons on the world.
Fluffy Posted - 07/11/2003 : 02:46:01 AM
Actually, I am very interested to read all the other ones as well. "My Ishmael" sounds very interesting. Basically, Ishmael except with a 12 year old girl and also "Story of B". Can't wait to pick them up.
victorwootenfan Posted - 07/08/2003 : 6:57:49 PM
I highly highly recommend "story of B." After ishmael, it is DEFINETLY the best book he's written, religion, cool plot, some random murders and conspiracies. IT's great!
bugman96 Posted - 07/08/2003 : 4:55:29 PM
quote:
I already thought of everything that he said in the book anyway.."

I just finished it a little over a week ago. The book was so in-tune with my thoughts, even though mine probably aren't as "radical" as those in the book. Once I finish the other million books on my list to read, I'm gonna pick up Quinn's other stuff.
KevinLesko Posted - 07/08/2003 : 2:53:26 PM
I checked to see if the UCI library had it and they do, except it is checked out until freekin sept!!! eek.
victorwootenfan Posted - 07/07/2003 : 08:31:17 AM
glad to hear you liked it fluffy...I had one arrogant friend who read it and said, "I didn't really get anything out of it, I already thought of everything that he said in the book anyway.."
Fluffy Posted - 07/06/2003 : 2:35:47 PM
For those who may have missed my comments in another post that degenerated into a battle of flaming moes:
quote:
I finally got a copy and read it. In fact, I read twice in 4 days as I have found it to be the BEST book I have read in the last 20 years. I am now in the process of rereading it a 3rd TIMe and highly recommend anyone who hasn't pick it up and check it out. I have already gotten 3 other people reading it. It is quite eye-opening and really will make you stop and take a step back and re-examine the way you may look at the world. Seems we get locked into a certain way of looking at things and someTIMes we need a book like this to help us open our brains to other options or ways of looking at things. If nothing else, the book makes you stop and think and that is never a bad thing in my opinion.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3797
Captain Petersburgh Posted - 07/03/2003 : 10:57:49 PM
put that $0.15 raise twords a good book
KevinLesko Posted - 07/03/2003 : 1:39:28 PM
wow, thanks I'll have to check that out damn and I was just in Barnes and Noble last night too.. oh well I don't have any money right now anyways. Once I start working again though, I'll be sure to pick up a copy.
Evergreen Posted - 07/03/2003 : 08:48:51 AM
http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1672

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2089

Glad you had a chance to read it! I think its been mentioned
quite a few times on the board but VWF started it all. Then I
completely missed his post(as I do with many)and read it around the exact time he posted about it then posted about it myself again after.

Definitely pass it on. I have it if anyone wants to read it or Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser, which I also VERY HIGHLY recommend.

I'm also a huge Vonnegut fan. I've read them all. Slapstick, God Bless you Mr. Rosewater, and Wampeters, Foma, and Granfalloons are 3 of my fav's of his. His observations and insights into human behavior and societal conditioning are astounding. And he sure has a great way of articulating it. Frank Zappa's book, The Real Frank Zappa Book, by Frank Zappa, (don't be fooled by unofficial biographical imitations...hehe)is expressed much in the same way. Same kind of raw satire, and "calling it like it is".
therippa Posted - 07/02/2003 : 7:01:10 PM
I just finished reading Slaughterhouse Five again. Highly recommended to those who haven't read it. I read half of it on a plane a few weeks ago (it sucked, I left right at the turning point...the plane landed right at the end of the seventh chapter, where it reads "We were led into a building marked 'Schlachthaus Fünf'. Translated, 'Slaughterhouse Five'") and managed to finish up the rest on Sunday. Actually, I'd recommend reading any Kurt Vonnegut books, I really like his style of writing.

So it goes.
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 07/02/2003 : 3:42:36 PM
This might be good for a "book club" where we just swap out our favorite books. I mail you mine, you mail me yours, etc... How's that idea sound?

victorwootenfan Posted - 07/02/2003 : 1:12:27 PM
glad you liked it Pam..it has def. opened my mind up quite a bit.

Check out "story of B" by daniel quinn as well, that's more plot oreinted and religious oreinted...it's my fav. by him, after ishmael!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000