Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 A question about your families

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/21/2003 : 9:17:09 PM
Alright I just found out something very very interesting about my own family from my mother. Apparently, on her side of the family, my family has been living in the same spot of augusta county(on the virginia/west virginia border, back when augusta county was a LOT bigger), anyway the same spot for 300 years. I haven't a clue how many generations that is, but wow, most of us haven't left the area for 300 years!!!! GEEZ...

Anyway, what's the situation for your own families, just moved from somewhere, or when/where did your family originate from, or come to the Americas, or whatnot?

24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JoeGamo05 Posted - 06/25/2003 : 12:14:35 PM
welll uh uh the only interresting thing about ym family is i'm related to salvatore ferragamo (in a thin line) who is the big italian designer and i'm related (2nd cousin or sumthin like that) to vince ferragamo the qb for the rams who took them to the super bowl but lost... taht was awhile ago lol
tericee Posted - 06/24/2003 : 10:51:48 PM
...or Billy Joel, maybe.
PJK Posted - 06/24/2003 : 6:41:54 PM
Hey Sorrel, now that didn't seem to fit the "fucked up" category. I actually found it quite interesting. That is what makes war fucked up however. Sorry for all the tension in your family. Jezz, what is not to like about you? I never heard of a grandparent disliking their grandchild! That doesn't make them sound too great. I can understand not liking their daughters choice of husband but not liking you because of him? Dumb, just plain dumb. Oh well, thats their problem, they have to get over it or deal with it.

We all like you here and thats what counts, hehehehe Gosh I am sounding just like Mr Rogers "I like you just the way you are."
{=HTG=} Posted - 06/24/2003 : 1:07:31 PM
quote:
I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO!!! I just thought it was a claimed position by only a couple people, not to mention mostly your job, and I didn't want to get chewed out for doing it! Now though, I am not afraid...

Oh no, a Flaming Moe can be made by anyone, haha. You just gotta be the first to reach to replying to a topic with 19 posts. Usually just watch it like a hawk till at around 18.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/24/2003 : 06:29:46 AM
I got disrespected last time i did a flaming moe, so i haven't done one in awhile. I still have mucho respect for ya tho!
{=HTG=} Posted - 06/24/2003 : 02:29:20 AM
Flaming Moe anyone! ?

Damn.... am I the only one that actuall still does this?
Jay Posted - 06/24/2003 : 01:48:38 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jay, when I read something of yours, I picture a modern Holden Caulfield, only smarter, and stoned or on acid, depending on what I am reading.

That has to be the best compliment I've ever recived! Thank you! Either stoned or on acid! That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!
bugman96 Posted - 06/24/2003 : 12:25:16 AM
The land that Camp David is on used to belong to my mom's side of the family. Also, I remember looking at a bunch of genealogy stuff my aunt had and seeing that I'm a way distant descendant of Mungo Dill (though I'm sure by now thousands of people are. http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/scotts/1Dill.html)
PJK Posted - 06/23/2003 : 11:01:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHA Sorrel I know you didn't mean to be funny but it made me laugh when you described the look on your roommates face! I know that face well! hehehe

Hey my grandfather was a drunk and wasn't even married to my grandmother! Now days thats no big deal but long ago it was. My poor dad! My grandparents on the other side had 9 children. They were strict and my mom once said she had no happy childhood memories. I think that is so sad! So I guess my family was pretty fucked up. Your family couldn't be any worse than mine so do tell!

For the record, my sisters and brother and I are real close. So close that my sister from Texas was going to fly here to be with me for my surgery in July! Instead my sister from NJ is coming to be with me. I didn't ask either one to do that, they just decided this on their own! I love them so much, but it shocked the hell out of me that they would do that for me.

Point is, even coming from fucked up relatives doesn't mean you or your immediate family are going to be that way!
Jay Posted - 06/23/2003 : 4:33:12 PM
I come from a long line of messed up induviduals...Oh, I have a question...Where is Ephrata?
Jay Posted - 06/23/2003 : 4:23:36 PM
Hehehe I'm just to fucked up...Nothin's exagerated...It's all there, 100% pure and undiluted.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/23/2003 : 1:23:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

I'm glad Jay's is real. I hate feeling gullible.

exactly!
tericee Posted - 06/23/2003 : 1:17:43 PM
I'm glad Jay's is real. I hate feeling gullible.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/23/2003 : 1:04:35 PM
sorry jay...it's just too detailed and too cool of a story to sounds serious. Thanks tho, sorry for mistaking it for an elaborate tale, you're just too good of a writer!
Jay Posted - 06/23/2003 : 12:33:45 PM
quote:
Thanks for the serious answer pam!

All you other guys, Dan and Jay, keep it up, I'm LMAO!!!

My answer was serious........
LoveToday Posted - 06/23/2003 : 08:59:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dan p.

my lineage goes back to the glory days of numenor. my father, arathorn's, gradfather was isldur, who was heir to the thron of gondor and arnor. and so was my father. he died while out hunting, though. i was young, so mother had me move to a place called rivendell. i lived tehre a long time, served in the army, fell in love with my adopted father, elrond's, daughter. after much toil in the wild, a friend of mine named olorin (that's his real name) asked me to go to some hick town called bree to help some of his friends move. i did, and move we did. back to rivendell. we got kicked out so olorin, his friends and some others we met along the way set out to deliver some jewlery to it's rightful owner.

hahahahaha that was so funny! It took me a bit of reading to figure out what the hell you were talking about!!
tericee Posted - 06/22/2003 : 9:34:08 PM
Here's a serious answer that applies to Fluffy and me:

Our maternal grandmother's maiden name was Chigley. Her grandfather was Nelson Chigley. Here's a little history of the town that was named after him:

"Chigley was a community located six miles northeast of Davis, Okalahoma. It had a school, gin, telegraph and most importantly a post office named “Chigley”. The community was named after Nelson Chigley a prominent local Chickasaw rancher.

When the community of Davis came into being, the citizens applied for a post office and chose as the name on the application “Chigley”. The site where Davis was located was in the middle of the Chigley Ranch. It was Chigley himself that had the Santa Fe RR survey and plat the city. To make sure that a town sprang up next to the RR siding Chigley had put in, he donated the land for an Indian school and a school for white children as well as a quarter city block for each church denomination in town. A post office was applied for and the name chosen was “Chigley”.

The post office department said that there was no way they were going to have two Chigleys in the same relative location. So, the local folks put their heads together and gave it another shot at naming the town. After much thought it was decided to name the town after the first merchant and depot agent Samuel Davis.

Now I have heard all the wild stories about how Davis got it’s name and to tell you the truth I don’t believe any of them. They make good stories but not much sense.

The best story is that there was a sign painter hired by the Santa Fe RR to paint the name on the new depot. The story goes that this sign painter couldn’t spell. Now this sign painter had managed to get all the way up the RR line from Texas painting the correct name on depots until he got to Davis. So what does he do? He looks across the street and sees Sam Davis store with the sign on the front of the building and painted that name Davis on the depot.

Well, I’ve seen a photo of that store and the sign said Sam Davis Mercantile. Now if that story is true shouldn’t Davis be called “Mercantile” now?

Another thing to consider is that wouldn’t you just imagine that somebody was watching this guy? Did he just paint the sign and disappear and nobody every noticed the mistake? A sign painter that can’t spell is like a carpenter that can’t drive a nail straight."

Copied from http://www.rootsweb.com/~okmurray/stories/whats_in_a_name.htm
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/22/2003 : 08:32:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

My ancestors were Amish and Mennonite. They came over from Switzerland and Germany. They bought land from William Penn. My grandfather on my mom's side worked for the railroad in Ephrata PA, heart of PA Dutch country. He also had a farm outside of town.

My dad grew up in a small town outside of Ephrata but went to the same high school as my mother. They were high school sweethearts. I had an ancestor who was in the Revolutionary War, but also had many who sided with the British and fled to Canada!

My father spoke PA Dutch when he was little and had to learn English in school. PA Dutch is a form of German but it isn't German. I don't know many words but I can understand a bit more than I can speak. My grandmother spoke it a lot.

My great-great- grandfather once saw a patrol of Rebel Scouts on one of the hills outside of Ephrata during the Civil War. They had come that far into PA.

Thanks for the serious answer pam!

All you other guys, Dan and Jay, keep it up, I'm LMAO!!!
{=HTG=} Posted - 06/22/2003 : 01:40:08 AM
quote:
PARAGRAPHS, people, PARAGRAPHS!!!

Hahahaha, that killed me.
tericee Posted - 06/22/2003 : 01:27:51 AM
Thanks for the paragraphs Pam.
PJK Posted - 06/22/2003 : 12:57:24 AM
My ancestors were Amish and Mennonite. They came over from Switzerland and Germany. They bought land from William Penn. My grandfather on my mom's side worked for the railroad in Ephrata PA, heart of PA Dutch country. He also had a farm outside of town.

My dad grew up in a small town outside of Ephrata but went to the same high school as my mother. They were high school sweethearts. I had an ancestor who was in the Revolutionary War, but also had many who sided with the British and fled to Canada!

My father spoke PA Dutch when he was little and had to learn English in school. PA Dutch is a form of German but it isn't German. I don't know many words but I can understand a bit more than I can speak. My grandmother spoke it a lot.

My great-great- grandfather once saw a patrol of Rebel Scouts on one of the hills outside of Ephrata during the Civil War. They had come that far into PA.
dan p. Posted - 06/22/2003 : 12:44:25 AM
my lineage goes back to the glory days of numenor. my father, arathorn's, gradfather was isldur, who was heir to the thron of gondor and arnor. and so was my father. he died while out hunting, though. i was young, so mother had me move to a place called rivendell. i lived tehre a long time, served in the army, fell in love with my adopted father, elrond's, daughter. after much toil in the wild, a friend of mine named olorin (that's his real name) asked me to go to some hick town called bree to help some of his friends move. i did, and move we did. back to rivendell. we got kicked out so olorin, his friends and some others we met along the way set out to deliver some jewlery to it's rightful owner.
tericee Posted - 06/21/2003 : 11:54:10 PM
PARAGRAPHS, people, PARAGRAPHS!!!
Jay Posted - 06/21/2003 : 10:34:56 PM
My mom's side is almost pure Austrian. The family raised horses during WWI and sold them to the army. When Austria's enemies (Who the hell was that?) came through, my great-grandmother and two of her sisters left for America. The rest of the family stayed in Austria and was killed. My dad's side is a mix of about twelve different countries...No kiddin. Mainly German, Irish, and Austrian. Actually, about the only thing German in me is my last name, Wiegand. It is NOT pronounced (Why-gand) it is pronounced (Wee-gand). Interestingly enough, a fellow by the name of Paul Wiegand was instrumental in getting those little warnings put on cigarette packs. He's of no relation to my family, and if he was, my family would have "gotten rid" of him long ago. My last name is also shared with a little-known American writer from San Diego. His name was (And I'm NOT making this up!) JAYson Wiegand. He stuck that little "Y" in there just to piss me off. I first found out about him when my friend was preparing for a history report at the library, and he stumbled upon a "recommended reading list" in the back of an ancient book on the Summerians or something. I don't even remember what it was called, but all I know is that when we asked the librarian to order it for us, she said she couldn't find it anywhere. She said that no one by the name of Jayson Wiegand was even listed in the database. I'm just guessing he's from San Diego cause it said on the cite in the list that the book was published there in 1928 or something. Then, I go to my grandma's house...use her Geneology programs...and BOOM! Jayson Wiegand...Writer...DOB???LOC. ??? I couldn't find a damn thing about him, all's I know is that he was a writer, and is a distant relative of mine. I'm sure he was as fucked up as me, though.
My Dad's grandpa owned about 500 acres of woods, orchards and swamps in Chesterland, Ohio. He planted tons of fruit trees, including lots of stuff you really don't see anymore...Like plums and pears and shit...Anyway, the reason why I bring this up is because there's a very succesful orchard that my great-grandpa planted and cared for himself. It's really cool driving past an orchard and see huge fruit trees that were planted by a relative nearly 80 years ago. Most of those are gone now, but there are a few really enormous trees left. There's a brand of pencil that's sold in shitty stores nationwide with a picture of the biggest apple tree greatgrandpa planted right on the cover...unfortunately, I never got to see it, cause they chopped it down before I was born. He also made a lot of fishing lures out of scrapmetal, and was going to get a patent for one but he decided not to for some weird reason...I still have about 250 of them, all hand made, and they work! I've caught around 25 pike on them in Canada.
Anyway, I live in one hell of a shitty deveolpment...well, it's nice, I mean, it's sort of in that void...Not rich, not middle class, but anything from poor...It's the place where the band director from your middle school would live...Let's just leave it at that...People that used to have families but they all moved out and are salesmen in Texas, or drug addicts, or are going to school somewhere and are studying to become pharmacists, or physical trainers, or even therapists...I won't tell you what kind of theropy, though, that's another story...Anyway, getting back on track, it used to be a horse farm...And there was a double murder about 500 feet from where my house is now. You want some ghost stories, I have them tucked away somewhere in the endless chasm of shit I like to call my mind. I'll share some later if anyone (for some seriously skewed reason) wants to hear them. Probabaly not, so I'll leave it alone. So anywho, there's lots of really interesting shit in the ground back in the marsh, which is behind the houses across the street from me. Stuff like bones, like animal bones. Horses, dogs, all kinds of freaky shit. The reason why we know there was a murder, or at least a bad fight, was becasue in 1934, when a man was digging his foundation on the edge of the swamp, they discovered one skull that was literally crushed by a blow, and another with an obvious bullet hole above the left eye. That's freaky enough for me, but what's even worse is that the rest of the skeletons where found about twenty feet away. No one is really sure who they were, and to my knowledge there wasn't much of an investigation for some reason, which just scares me even more...I don't know anything else. I've only seen the foundation once, and I had to leave...It was just way to scary...If my neighbor's house wasn't infront of mine, I'd be able to see the foundation from my bedroom window in the fall (cause the leaves are in the way in the summer, dumbass). So there...all the intersting shit that's ever happened to me and my family, and probably the only interesting things EVER to happen. Sorry to bore you all, I'm just really tired and in need of a drink...something hard...hmm...My dad just called me...Uncle Paul is coming tomorrow...I hate that bastard. "Coffee stunts yer growth, Jay! It says right here, see?" Luckily, this last event never ocured...I have no uncle Paul that I know of...and if I did, he'd be a three pack a day smoker.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000