Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 The Official Eastern Music Thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/19/2003 : 8:33:08 PM
I was talking to Pam earlier some about eastern music and so i figured i'd make a thread. Who else likes it, who're your favorite fellers of the sitar/tabla/tamboura/sarod/etc..

Right now i've been trying to find a lot of shakti/john mclaughlin stuff and then the standard ravi shankar and ali akbar kahn(sp?). any other comments...
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jay Posted - 06/21/2003 : 10:44:48 PM
The album Broz put out with Lang is called Rolling Through This World...It's absolutely amazing from what I've heard of it. Jeff Lang is wonderful..I love that man!

http://www.jefflang.com.au/

Check out the pictures...There's one of him and KJP...It's great...And then go to discography and look at "Live at the Basement DVD." then watch the video of the song "London" that they have posted up there...It's great...Oh, Austrailia is in the East, right? It's closer to India than we are! So I'M NOT DIGRESSING!
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/20/2003 : 7:30:48 PM
I like him from what i've heard, but i don't know which is him and which is the other slide guitarist. It just sounds great, it's like exactly what derek trucks is trying to do in a more world sense!
Jay Posted - 06/20/2003 : 3:06:35 PM
If you like the Broz, check out the CD he put out with Jeff Lang...Hell, check out Jeff Lang, he's Austrailia's best guitarist.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/20/2003 : 1:51:51 PM
What i've heard is norah and ravi had a fall-out, but anoushka is very much in love with her father, beautiful father/daughter relationship. By the way, there's some ebay sitars from about 100-2000 dollars, i found what appears to be a good sitar(case, book, 2 of those resonator things) for 150!

I bought a good cd today Mahima-debashish bhattacharya and bob brozman. lot's of slide guitar and tabla and eastern singing! good cd!
Jay Posted - 06/20/2003 : 12:16:05 PM
I guess that Ravi and Norah don't get along too well...I guess she's holding a grudge with him for marrying Anoushka's mother instead of her mother. But oddly, Norah, Anoushka and Anoushka's mother get along very well...Poor old Ravi...He's so old and little, how could you not get along with him?
Jay Posted - 06/20/2003 : 12:05:49 PM
I was in disbelief when I heard Norah Jones was Ravi's daughter...That's insane.

I'd love to get a sitar, too. Only problem is that you kinda have to give other stuff up to learn to play because it is so intricate and complicated...And they are very quiet, soft sounding instruments. Awesome things they are, though, yes yes yes. You can order a cheap one from Elderly Instruments for around $500.
victorwootenfan Posted - 06/20/2003 : 06:33:01 AM
ravi's daughter looks just like norah jones!!

Thanks for the link jay, i've actually been seriously considering getting a sitar as well, just a cheap 100 dollar one, but man that'd be fun to fool around with, maybe go to an open mic and play sitar, or just sit on a street playing sitar for money. So great!
PJK Posted - 06/20/2003 : 12:47:52 AM
Yes, I saw Ravis daughter when I saw him,and she was wonderful and very beautiful, you guys would love her! She helped her father tune his sitar and she was so happy. What I remember most about the concert was the whole aura of the room. It was filled with peace and happiness! As close to heaven as I have ever been.
Jay Posted - 06/20/2003 : 12:47:29 AM
One thing I forgot to mention to anyone that watches that video...At about 3:30 the camera focuses on Ravi and some of the tabla player. This, my friends is why I love Indian and, more broad, all Eastern music. Ravi's enormous grin explains it all! And to think he's 83. Amazing. Pam, I should get a sitar...Shit, we only live like, eight hours from each other! You could be the tabla player and I'll be the sitar player. Then we can hire someone like Keith Richards to drive us about the country. Except he'd be too drunk...Contact Joe Cocker?
Jay Posted - 06/20/2003 : 12:30:11 AM
I wish I could've seen them, too! I remember the review you posted of the concert you saw a while ago...I wish I could've been there. Have you heard Ravi's daughter at all? (No, I don't mean Nora Jones, even though she's his daughter, too!) She's a pretty good sitar player, not quite up to par with Papa but very good. http://www.anoushkashankar.com/ Click on Biography and then scroll to the bottom and click "Press Kit." It's basically her interacting with Ravi, and it even has some commentary by George Harrison. There's some concert footage, too, which is simply amazing.
PJK Posted - 06/19/2003 : 9:09:01 PM
Yes and it was great talking to you! Thanks for the website you gave me! It is providing me with great entertainment!

Jay, it doesn't surprise me that you were the first to reply to this! You seem to appreciate so many genres of music and that has always impressed me about you. Not to mention the fact that you like Ravi! He is definitely worth listening to! I still get chills when I think of the concert I saw him perform last fall Seeing and hearing Ali Akbar Khan and Zahir Hussain this spring was equally inspirational.
Jay Posted - 06/19/2003 : 8:47:30 PM
I can suggest "live in San Fransisco" by Ravi Shankar...I love that cd to death, man.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000