Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 a most amazing concert

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PJK Posted - 05/24/2003 : 11:20:35 PM
I went to the most amazing concert in Princeton the other night. I heard Ali Akbar Khan and Zakir Hussain. Ali is one of the most revered of Indian classical musicians still active on the worlds concet stages. He is considered a "National Living Treasure" in India!He is admired by musicians all over the world for his mastery of the sarode. ( a sarode is a 25 stringed Indian instrument resembling the sitar) This man is 82 years old and played for almost 3 hours with only a short break. He absolutely blew me away! The sounds were incredible!

Zakir plays the tabla which is what I am trying to learn. How he got the tones out of them is beyond me! He was awesome! He certainly inspired me to try harder to play these wonderful drums!

I know most of you are not into this kind of music but it is so wonderfully unique and something everyone who truely loves music should experience at least once in their life TIMe. I was truely enriched by what I heard.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
victorwootenfan Posted - 05/25/2003 : 5:54:24 PM
isn't zakie hussain one of those old john mclaughlin shakti guys? I'm really listening to a lot more eastern music now...some bobby mcferrin african/asian sounding stuff...and i got a classical cd with ravi shankar and an orchestra. it's funny hearing all these striaght orchestra guys trying to play music they've never heard or understood!
Jay Posted - 05/25/2003 : 3:05:57 PM
heheheh...sandip...hehehe... Pam I LOVE Indian music as much as I love...um...Dubya EEE EEE DEE...Which is quite a bit...I haven't heard of this dude yet, though, I'm just your average Ravi Shankar nut. It sounds like a great show, though, I wish I coulda been there...Can you imagine that? Me sitting next to you making little grunting noises as I'm known to do watching this old dude play some crazy Indian instrument? You'd probably start hitting me with your key ring cause it'd be funny, but I wouldn't notice because of the music. I tend to loose myself at concerts totally.
{=HTG=} Posted - 05/25/2003 : 2:44:40 PM
quote:
The tabla is awesome too. I forget the name of the man who plays it with the Flecktones on "Live at the Quick". He's a great player.

Sandip Burman
Arthen Posted - 05/25/2003 : 01:25:27 AM
That's awesome. Man, I want to be an old cool guy who can jam for three hours.

The tabla is awesome too. I forget the name of the man who plays it with the Flecktones on "Live at the Quick". He's a great player.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000