Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 MTV ICON: METALLICA

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 05/06/2003 : 10:44:43 PM
Did anyone see this? I caught the last half of it. The covers by other bands, Korn, Limp Bizkit BLEW, not surprisingly. But Metallica ROCKED at the end. And before shitty ass MTV cut them off for PUNK'D, they broke into a brand new song from St. Anger, Wasted Days. It sounded bad ass. Metallica is back and I have chills and can barely type.

Adam
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 05/08/2003 : 5:28:58 PM
I thought I heard Hetfield mutter the phrase "wasted days" in that song, and I did, but the song IS Frantic. I saw a tentative song list a while back and I think what is now called Frantic was called Wasted Days at one time, but then again I could be wrong, and I probably am.

My local radio station played a small part of Frantic tonight as I was driving home from Iowa City. I was barely able to get into the song before they cut it off, but it sounded a lot heavier than it did on the Icon show. I think something was fucked up with their gear or something on that. MTV's PA they provided probably sucked ass or something. Anyway, it sounded a lot better on the radio and will probably sound better when the 'Tallica boys go on tour.

One thing that surprised me on that Icon show was the fact that Sum 41's guitarists can actually play. Their version of For Whom The Bell Tolls left somethign to be desired, ESPECIALLY on the vocals, Jesus Fucking Christ...but their guitar work on Puppetz was actually decent. But I couldn't tell if they were playing that part with successive downstrokes or alternating up/down. One thing I love about Metallica is the fact that they play so fucking fast, and they're only using downstrokes, at least in songs like Master Of Puppets. For their really fast songs like Fight Fire With Fire, they MUST use up/down picking. But it was obvious the singer of Sum 41 couldn't sing AND play the verse riff to Puppetz, b/c he didn't sing at all for that, he just sung the "Come crawling faster/obey your master" part, which is easier to play and sing at once.

More about the covers: Staind covering Nothing Else Matters was decent, but nothing special. And reminds us how mainstream musicians of today are no where close to some from 20+ years ago. The singer/guitarist and guitarist from Staind didn't even attempt to play any of the shit Kirk does in that song. That song sounds very empty without all that stuff. I mean, without all that, the intro is just an arpeggiated Em chord.

Korn BLEW at playing One. Jonathan Davis can't sing, and definitely can't sing like Jaymz, not that a cover is supposed to be a carbon copy of the original, but PLEASE, it should be CLOSE and the vocals in the same key as the music. And their drummer fucked up the really fast double bass pedal on the "Darkness imprisoning me/All that I see/Absolute horror" part, nearly EVERY TIME he played it. Lars isn't the greatest drummer in the world, but either Korn's drummer is WORSE, or Lars is better than I give him credit for. Also, the big impressive solos were noticibley ABSENT from Korn's version of One, as they are absent from all of Korn's originals as well.

I won't even comment on Limp's cover of Sanitarium, for commenting on it simply acknowledges its existence.

Snoop Dogg should stick to rap...if he MUST do anything. And Avril.......poor song choice, being as it came from ReLoad, and...poor...poor Avril.

I'm still in love with Michelle Branch

I'm off to watch the Seattle DVD from the Binge & Purge Box Set.

Adam
NeverKillADream Posted - 05/07/2003 : 9:04:11 PM
After a long phase of dissapointment from a band that was once idolized by me, i saw that speical, and at the end, hearing the direction of thier new music, i was pleased, and once again, they bring a smile to my face. matter of fact afterwards me and my sister were inspired to go download a bunch of old days videos, it was a blast, amen to the new sound.
tericee Posted - 05/07/2003 : 7:37:04 PM
I guarantee there are military Metallica heads out there. Maybe they just interviewed the wrong guy. My old roommate would have given her right arm to be there.
Erich Posted - 05/07/2003 : 7:13:52 PM
what the hell were the military doing there? this was to honour METALLICA, not the US army. Granted, im not for the wars over seas, but the propoganda injected into the program was a little too much. That guy talking sounded like he knew shit about metallica, and only name dropped "fade to black" so as not to look like a complete fool.
Saint Jude Posted - 05/07/2003 : 7:03:12 PM
o yea, and the bizkit.... sigh...
Saint Jude Posted - 05/07/2003 : 6:59:15 PM
i caught it today, i was ok with it despite avril levagneine doing fule.... but the thing that made me roll my eyes was when some military personel were introduced by michelle branch (why she was there i dont know... go figure... mtv) and they said what keeps them going is good old fashon American Rock and Roll. Guess they dont ever listen to the clash, Zepplin, Cream, Beatles, ect ect ect. And sorry Snoop, but stick to rap.
Erich Posted - 05/07/2003 : 2:25:30 PM
wasted days? I thought it was Frantic? thats what was reported by Yahoo. well, anyway, whatever. I was furious they cut short the band that was BEING HONOURED!!! but as a gift my mom got me tickets to see them at Giants stadium, i cant wait. 4th time seeing them, first time since '99.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000