Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Censorship in Schools

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thomasode Posted - 04/23/2003 : 8:42:21 PM
Ok, I dont know if anyone else hered this, but here in Colorado a kid a West Middle School (aka greenwood village prision haha)got EXPELED for saying that an activity in school was "gay". Now I see that punishment has its merrits, but I think the punishment in this situation is FAR greater than the offense. In my oppinion its like sending a person who committed a minor offense to the electric chair. I think this is irrational. I think schools censor too much of whats going on. I mean, sure, some sensorship is ok, but expelling a kid for saying gay in my oppinion is wrong.

All I have for ya'll is, What do you think about censorship in our schools?
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Miss Sorrel Posted - 04/25/2003 : 7:51:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

I had a 9th grader who was talking with someone about someone else who wasn't present and said they were a "Fucking asshole" I said "excuse me, I'm sure I didn't hear that, right?" He said sorry right away. Weeks later I heard the same kid in the hall saying something to someone and called someone else an "asshole" and I told him I was glad he was starting to clean up his act!

Hahaha... way to handle it Pam!
PJK Posted - 04/25/2003 : 6:47:14 PM
If we expelled every kid who said something negative at the middle school where I work we wouldn't have any kids left to teach.

Calling someone or something "gay" in middle school is very common. Seems to go with the age group. I will tell a kid it isn't appropriate but I don't make a big deal about it. Only if it is said in a way that truely hurts another student then I would first have them apologize or if need be I would write them up and they would get demerits.

I had a 9th grader who was talking with someone about someone else who wasn't present and said they were a "Fucking asshole" I said "excuse me, I'm sure I didn't hear that, right?" He said sorry right away. Weeks later I heard the same kid in the hall saying something to someone and called someone else an "asshole" and I told him I was glad he was starting to clean up his act!

therippa Posted - 04/25/2003 : 4:16:22 PM
We will not tolerate this intolerance!
Arthen Posted - 04/25/2003 : 4:04:01 PM
That's such a great quote.
CPPJames Posted - 04/25/2003 : 2:44:38 PM
Hehe, if disagreeing on everything was *always* a good thing, I'd be married to my ex-girlfriend. For the love of God we were never able to agree on anything. To quote braveheart, "they couldn't agree on the color of shite!".
GRock Posted - 04/25/2003 : 2:38:48 PM
gay used to mean happy. so is it bad that homosexuals took that word and changed it's meaning. why are we so upset with changing or adding meaning to word when that's the whole origen of it. and why can't the word have two meaning in different situations. this is "english". where getting high doesn't mean going up in tall buildings and falling asleep has nothing to do with heights. i mean if homosexuals aren't offended then what's the problem. i think if everyone lightened up and learned to laugh about stuff we'd all be better off.

PC is just another way to say "Tolerance Police" who don't tolerate anyone except those that tolerate everything. i think it is ok to have an opinion that homosexuality is wrong, have gay friends, express this to them, and remain good friends. my best friend up until high school (he moved away) and i disagreed about everything and that's part of what made us such good friends. i didn't like some of the things he did and i did encourage him to do other things but i tolerated his crazy stuff and even participated sometimes. we got in a lot of trouble and he got in more. Tolerance is more of just an agreement to disagree, but not necessarily condoning an activity. it means to tolerate someone thinking you are wrong and/or thinking that person is wrong and being big enough to still accept them.
Miss Sorrel Posted - 04/25/2003 : 10:00:57 AM
OK... i have a theory about this, and I know that there's no chance in hell I am going to be able to articulate it in a way which fully explains how I feel, but I am going to try anyhow...

Alright, so for (part of) my high school years I went to a really strict Christian school. In a nutshell the sex education that we got was: sex before marriage = getting several STIs (which you'll never get rid of and will forever be a mark of your dirtiness), will get pregnant, will humiliate yourself and your family, will never find a man (guys and gals had to take this class, along with several others, separately) who respects or really loves you, let down God, and will die of AIDS (and lets not even get into what kind of scumbag you are if you even consider abortion); whereas, sex after marriage with another virgin= a healthy relationship with God, a husband who loves you + a long lasting marriage, great kids, and self respect. But on the flip side... if you WERE GAY.... whoa, I remember when I guy was expelled because he had a picture of a male model in his wallet....

So I did eventually get out of there, and was in for a few shocks when I went to public school, but somewhere along the line I learned that sex before marriage isn't my one-way ticket to hell, and was exposed to different things that can help promote safer sex... but since my TIMe at the private school, there were an abnormal amount of unplanned pregnancies coming from my class (I think there's 5, which wouldn't be so odd if there wasn't a graduating class of 36). Now thank goodness for the whoopsie-baby ( I, uh, personally, hold very high esteem for em), but in some cases, teenagers having little ones isn't the smartest thing.

So before I say what I am going to say, I want to make it clear that i understand that it's the 2 people in the act who are responsible for their own behavior, and it's not a parent/teacher/mentor's responsibility to be coaching them through. But my point is that I feel that maybe if the education we received was a bit better than perhaps some of the unplanned pregnancies could have been avoided. I know that there are a lot of things I would have been in the dark over had I not had the experiences I dig at public school, and more so college.

More than ever i am hearing that education is the key to solving problems. At the private school, we what were taught was that sex before marriage is bad, and sex after is safe... but we learned about safe sex, and obviously several people never did after high school.

So the relevance that I think this has to this topic is that education should intervene. Somewhere along the line, somebody took the word gay, and turned it into a casual phrase that you use when something is unpleasant or stupid. I think that the school shouldn't make an example out of the kid and expel him, but should see that he's an example of what is going on in society. The school should educate their students that in this P.C. society, things like that are unacceptable, and should then continue to teach why. The term gay, and its connotations, is used so widely that people have forgotten that it's offensive... Sounds like a lot of us have gay friends, and none of us would want to personally offend them, but it's so casual that gays are saying that things are gay.

So... I personally feel that if the school thinks that it's such a big fucking deal, then they should do something about it in a way that can explain why this is a problem, and get it at the root... I am just happy that when I went to high school, I was only trying to hide cigarettes and pot, and not my vocabulary.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/25/2003 : 01:53:31 AM
Oh it's definitely not a big deal... his parents will appeal and he'll get right back in. There's no way that will hold up in front of a committee of school superintendents etc.
pcbTIM Posted - 04/25/2003 : 12:41:33 AM
That does suck, and it is over the top......but the kid only got expelled from middle school. No big deal. I'm sure he'll meet back up with his friends at the Magnet high school. I think that if this happened to someone in high school, there'd be more media coverage and I'm sure the kid's parents would fight back.
Arthen Posted - 04/24/2003 : 10:13:35 PM
I can definitely relate to having homosexual friends and they use "gay" in the same meaning.

Silky The Pimp Posted - 04/24/2003 : 10:10:11 PM
Hehe poor kid. Slang is slang... this p.c. crap has definitely gone a bit too far.
thomasode Posted - 04/24/2003 : 8:44:10 PM
I agree with you 100%
CPPJames Posted - 04/24/2003 : 8:15:54 PM
Well, most younger people and I'm sure many older people know that over the years, gay has come to have a very negative connotation and is used to express dislike with something. I'm certainly guilty of it from time to time, out of force of habit. I do have gay friends, but I'm not gay myself. One of my gay friends actually uses it the same way...although I must admit that doesn't make that much sense to me, but it's still the case. I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying I don't think it's worth anything more than a "watch your mouth".
thomasode Posted - 04/24/2003 : 7:45:36 PM
Yes, I agree with all of you. I think schools try to make examples out of kids. I think censorship has gone way to far. If a kid says Fuck You to a teacher thats one thing, but if he says nothing really directed at anyone I think he should not be repremended. And in this case "gay" was not directed at all twords the homosexual community. I think that censorship has gone too FUCKIN FAR.
CPPJames Posted - 04/24/2003 : 10:16:27 AM
Ok, if the kid had said that the activity was "gay" over a PA system to the entire school, yeah...I think he should be reprimanded (detention for a week or something). Suspended or expelled? Are you kidding me? I mean, c'mon...my entire graduating class would have been expelled. You cannot legislate morality...on any level. It simply doesn't work.
Arthen Posted - 04/24/2003 : 12:16:44 AM
I think he should've been suspended. But not expelled.
tericee Posted - 04/23/2003 : 11:59:45 PM
If I were gay, I might be offended if people thought gay = stupid.

What would the kid's punishment be if he had made an ethnic slur? I think the same punishment should apply here.
Arthen Posted - 04/23/2003 : 11:05:42 PM
Yeah that's really horrible. I think more than anything now, in high schools gay=stupid, uncool, etc.

I think they greatly overreacted. In my highschool you can walk down the halls and hear kids saying that constantly. I don't think a kid should be expelled for swearing at all. That's a bunch of bullshit.

He definitely shouldn't have been expelled.
Fleabass76 Posted - 04/23/2003 : 10:35:16 PM
It's obviously an overreaction and I think it only perpetuates the idea that homosexuality is a bad thing. Even though they may have expelled him because that's what he was doing, it's still really fucking gay.
thomasode Posted - 04/23/2003 : 9:26:26 PM
HAHAHA thats great!
Saint Jude Posted - 04/23/2003 : 8:56:43 PM
yea, thats gay.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000