Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Let's talk SomeMAC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tericee Posted - 04/17/2003 : 7:29:47 PM
Here's a link to Bill's (long) article on how great Macintosh computers are:

http://billpalmer.blogspot.com/#92755328

The first reply I'll expect is from Silky.

Here's a question for Bill: If I'm using an iBook with only 64 MB of RAM, should I upgrade to OS X or keep OS 9.2? I mostly only do Internet and iTunes, however to read work documents and random stuff people send me via e-mail, I am probably going to put MS Office (ick, eww, blech) on it as well.
37   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tericee Posted - 05/19/2003 : 11:10:09 AM
Ah, that reminds me of the "Switch" spoof for gamers. I love watching that one!

http://users3.ev1.net/~skirkwood/dg_switch.mov
Arthen Posted - 05/19/2003 : 01:34:45 AM
Mac Shmac. I've got Kazaa. Sure I'm violating some laws, but it's free. With a capital FREE.

Heh. I like Macs if I have to do movie editing or sound editing or Bryce or something. Other than that, I prefer PC and all of my games.

Although I must admit, I'm very interested in iTunes.
tericee Posted - 05/19/2003 : 01:02:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Palmer

Now don't get me wrong, I love killing kittens as much as the next guy (JK!!!)

No you're not (kidding, that is). All guys like killing kittens. It's a known fact.

BTW, do you know exactly what killing kittens is a euphmism for? I hope so.

http://www.timreynolds.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1315
Bill Palmer Posted - 05/18/2003 : 10:34:45 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I love killing kittens as much as the next guy (JK!!!), but I'm going to try to yank this thread back on topic by pointing out that not only did Apple sell a million songs via its iTunes Music Store download service in its first week, it managed to sell another million in the nine days that followed. Not bad, considering that this service is limited only to Mac users, and then limited further only to MacOS X Jaguar users, and for that matter, only to those who have downloaded and installed iTunes 4 and QuickTime 6.2, and only in the U.S. so far, and with only 200,000 songs available so far. With that all taken into account, these initial numbers really do look incredible. As the Mac user base continues to grow and continues to roll over to OS X and continues to take a moment to install iTunes 4, the sales numbers should get even better. And when Apple launches the service for lowly Windows users later this year, sales should be nearly out of control.

Throw on the fact that Apple sold $30 million worth of iPods (to Mac and Windows users) in the first week that the iTunes Music Store was open, and it looks like Apple is on a quest for world domination of the digital music industry. Skeptics might expect that copycats will come along and swoop up business before Apple can conquer the whole market itself. But considering how difficult it was for Apple to get the big five record companies to agree to do this in the first place, what makes anyone think that they're going to give the rights to their music to companies who can't offer anything even close the experience that Apple already has established?

I can't wait to see where this goes from here...
tericee Posted - 05/13/2003 : 9:00:39 PM
So killing kittens only occurs under the same roof? Its effect is not a worldwide phenomenon?
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/13/2003 : 12:51:50 AM
At my parents house. I decided that I'm not responsible enough for a cat. But that grey and white one sure is cute...

I'm not going to take one. But I'm secure enough in my manhood that I could and you would still be my bitch.
pcbTIM Posted - 05/13/2003 : 12:41:36 AM
Wait a minute....you have kittens living in your house? How is this possible? Did you take a vow of abstinence or something?
enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/13/2003 : 12:08:43 AM
Yep, that one and this one are my favorites:

Oh, and the kitty (this one, gray and white), in the right column, seventh down, is eating a mouse. Six weeks old, and he's eating a mouse. Nice...

So, who wants a kitten. They mail well.
tericee Posted - 05/12/2003 : 10:02:10 PM
Totally! I love this one:

enthuTIMsiast Posted - 05/12/2003 : 12:55:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

Oh well.

Sounds like a sad reply, Teri. See if this'll cheer you up:

Kitty Pictures
tericee Posted - 05/12/2003 : 12:46:00 AM
Oh well.
Bill Palmer Posted - 05/11/2003 : 5:50:59 PM
quote:

quote:

Congratulations! Now you can use up whatever little space you have left by downloading music from the iTunes Music Store!

I'm too busy putting all my own CDs onto my Rio. Why spend money when I can listen to music I've forgotten I own? Wheee!

BTW, do you know if ALL classic iBooks came with 3GB hard drives? Or should I complain to the repair shop who put in the new one when my other one crashed?

All pre-FireWire iBooks had 3 GB hard drives. Although I've never tried it myself, I've heard it's not impossible to replace the hard drive with a much larger one -- although you'll violate any extended warranty you might have left.
tericee Posted - 05/11/2003 : 5:25:27 PM
quote:

Congratulations! Now you can use up whatever little space you have left by downloading music from the iTunes Music Store!

I'm too busy putting all my own CDs onto my Rio. Why spend money when I can listen to music I've forgotten I own? Wheee!

BTW, do you know if ALL classic iBooks came with 3GB hard drives? Or should I complain to the repair shop who put in the new one when my other one crashed?
pcbTIM Posted - 05/11/2003 : 2:58:14 PM
quote:

I bought Jaguar. Yay!

Oh man......I read that part too fast. I thought you bought a new car.......too bad, because you could have taken me for a spin. Haha.
Bill Palmer Posted - 05/11/2003 : 1:22:37 PM
quote:

I bought Jaguar. Yay! It now takes up 2/3 of my 3MB hard drive. I can't believe I have so little storage. How did I never notice this before?

tericee Posted - 05/02/2003 : 1:11:50 PM
I bought Jaguar. Yay! It now takes up 2/3 of my 3GB hard drive. I can't believe I have so little storage. How did I never notice this before?
tericee Posted - 04/29/2003 : 8:26:25 PM
AGH!!! I was able to upgrade my OS X to 10.0.4 but can't figure out how to get to 10.1 so I can load Adobe Acrobat Reader, StuffIt, etc.

I should just buy Jaguar and be done with it.
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/24/2003 : 01:26:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Fleabass76

[quote] If I ever get in a position where I have extra money lying around I'll probably have both, a PC for games and general use, and a MAC for music/video stuff.

And within a few months of use, that will inevitably change to "a PC for games and nothing else, and a MAC for music/video stuff as well as general use."

Superior interface, superior file management, superior versions of Word and Excel, superior web browser, and innovative Internet specialty apps that have no equivalent on the PC....well, you get the idea.

Macs aren't as expensive as you might think. The eMac, complete with a 17" monitor, CD-RW/DVD, and G4 processor makes a darn good home computer for under $1000. But then again, I understand the money thing totally, as I can't afford a new one either!
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/24/2003 : 01:19:32 AM
quote:

Bill, are you online right now? I found my OS X and want to install it, but I have a question. Will it overwrite the files I have on my computer? (taxes, spreadsheets, itunes?)

You've got mail.
tericee Posted - 04/23/2003 : 11:53:24 PM
quote:

If I ever get in a position where I have extra money lying around I'll probably have both, a PC for games and general use, and a MAC for music/video stuff.

You might even be able to get one computer that can run OS X from one partition and Windows from another. Bill probably knows if that's do-able these days.
tericee Posted - 04/23/2003 : 11:51:50 PM
Bill, are you online right now? I found my OS X and want to install it, but I have a question. Will it overwrite the files I have on my computer? (taxes, spreadsheets, itunes?)
Fleabass76 Posted - 04/23/2003 : 10:37:45 PM
quote:

quote:

Sadly, I actually like ibooks w/ OS X. They haven't changed the thing I really hate about macs though, and that's the stupid mouse. I need a right button.

Go to any computer store, purchase any USB mouse with any number of buttons, plug it into the Mac, and your wish is granted. No drivers, no mess, no "mac compatability" required. OS X is fun like that.

I believe CompUSA is selling a 3 button/scrollwheel generic mouse for $15? I have no use for such creatures but they're a great transitional tool for your first Mac.

That doesn't solve my game problem though. If I ever get in a position where I have extra money lying around I'll probably have both, a PC for games and general use, and a MAC for music/video stuff.
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/23/2003 : 10:12:50 PM
quote:

Hey Bill, just a quick update. I still haven't located my copy of OS X. I may just give up and buy it again if I don't find it soon.

Tericee,

When you do finally find your Jaguar, you might as well add this to your list of must-installs:

AppleWorks 6.2.7 update
http://www.apple.com/appleworks/update/

tericee Posted - 04/21/2003 : 6:46:02 PM
Hey Bill, just a quick update. I still haven't located my copy of OS X. I may just give up and buy it again if I don't find it soon.
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/21/2003 : 09:19:36 AM
It appears that Apple has something to announce next Monday:

"Apple to hold special event April 28"

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news.../21/appleevent/

"Apple Computer Inc. informed MacCentral by special invitation Monday morning of an event the company will hold in San Francisco on Monday, April 28, 2003. The invitation says that Apple will have 'announcements that will be music to your ears.'"

Well, this'll get the rumors going again...
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/18/2003 : 7:41:51 PM
quote:

Hmmm... I'll have to see if I can hunt down my copy of OS X, which I bought solely to get a good copy of OS 9 so I could re-install it on my roommate's computer after it crashed... I hope she didn't accidentally end up with it in Maryland -- you never know about packers. If it's not nailed down, they'll throw it in a box!

I once had a roommate who took my shoes with him. While I was sleeping. To this day, I hope it wasn't on purpose.

Although your OS X upgrade path wouldn't be quite the same as upgrading an original iMac, you might find this of interest:

"The Jaguar Experience on an original iMac"
http://billpalmer.blogspot.com/#92859535

If I'm not mistaken, your hard drive is a full ten gigabytes and your graphics card is much more powerful, so you wouldn't necessarily need to take the drastic steps described in the article.
tericee Posted - 04/18/2003 : 7:20:55 PM
Hmmm... I'll have to see if I can hunt down my copy of OS X, which I bought solely to get a good copy of OS 9 so I could re-install it on my roommate's computer after it crashed... I hope she didn't accidentally end up with it in Maryland -- you never know about packers. If it's not nailed down, they'll throw it in a box!
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/18/2003 : 1:14:36 PM
quote:

Bill, here's what it says in my Profiler:

DIMMO/Built In: 64 MB
DIMM1/J12: 128 MB

Your lone RAM upgrade option at this point is to replace your 128 MB chip with a 256 MB chip, for a total of 320 MB. That would cost you around $40. Not necessary, as OS X runs OK on 192 MB, but beneficial if you can swing it.
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/18/2003 : 1:10:54 PM
quote:

Sadly, I actually like ibooks w/ OS X. They haven't changed the thing I really hate about macs though, and that's the stupid mouse. I need a right button.

Go to any computer store, purchase any USB mouse with any number of buttons, plug it into the Mac, and your wish is granted. No drivers, no mess, no "mac compatability" required. OS X is fun like that.

I believe CompUSA is selling a 3 button/scrollwheel generic mouse for $15? I have no use for such creatures but they're a great transitional tool for your first Mac.
tericee Posted - 04/18/2003 : 12:11:55 PM
Fleabass, I love that Switch spoof!! I still have it on my work computer so I can get a laugh when I need to.

Bill, here's what it says in my Profiler:

DIMMO/Built In: 64 MB
DIMM1/J12: 128 MB
Fleabass76 Posted - 04/18/2003 : 06:35:41 AM
Sadly, I actually like ibooks w/ OS X. They haven't changed the thing I really hate about macs though, and that's the stupid mouse. I need a right button. I also like games.

"I'm a gamer....well...I used to be..."
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/18/2003 : 02:21:52 AM
While I'm at it, this is the latest to flush itself from the recesses of my mind:

"Safari tabbed browsing guide: for the newbies, by the newbie"

http://billpalmer.blogspot.com/#92821949

for those so inclined...
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/18/2003 : 02:20:17 AM
quote:

quote:

Tell me which generation iBook you have, and I'll look it up for you:

- original clamshell (blueberry, no FireWire port )

Open your Apple System Profiler, and it will tell you how much RAM you've got on the mobo, and how much is in the slot.
tericee Posted - 04/18/2003 : 01:20:42 AM
quote:

- original clamshell (blueberry, no FireWire port )

Bill Palmer Posted - 04/18/2003 : 12:07:12 AM
quote:

I'm on my iBook now, so I checked my RAM. It says I have 192 MB built-in. How do I know if it will hold any more?

- original clamshell (blueberry or tangerine, no FireWire port)
- 2nd gen clamshell (indigo, graphite, or keylime, one FireWire port)
- snow-white icebook (white, square, boxy)

tericee Posted - 04/17/2003 : 9:37:59 PM
I'm on my iBook now, so I checked my RAM. It says I have 192 MB built-in. How do I know if it will hold any more?
Bill Palmer Posted - 04/17/2003 : 7:58:09 PM
quote:

Here's a link to Bill's (long) article on how great Macintosh computers are:

http://billpalmer.blogspot.com/#92755328

The first reply I'll expect is from Silky.

Here's a question for Bill: If I'm using an iBook with only 64 MB of RAM, should I upgrade to OS X or keep OS 9.2? I mostly only do Internet and iTunes, however to read work documents and random stuff people send me via e-mail, I am probably going to put MS Office (ick, eww, blech) on it as well.

Yes, you should upgrade to OS X, but...you'll definitely want to pick up an additional 128 MB of RAM first. Fortunately, that can be had for around $20. I usually buy RAM [url=http://www.18004memory.com]here[/url] but you can compare prices [url=http://www.ramseeker.com]here[/url]. Make sure you're buying for the right kind of iBook; there are at least three generations of iBook by now. In OS X, RAM=speed, so if you really want to do yourself right, pick up an additional 256 MB instead. You only have one open RAM slot (the original 64 MB is part of the motherboard), so you might be better getting the 256 now instead of getting it later and having to toss the 128.

Check apple.com/support or your Software Update panel to make sure you have the latest iBook Firmware before you install OS X -- this is imortant. After you upgrade the RAM, unstall OS X (make sure it's Jaguar 10.2), then download the 10.2.5 updater, Safari v.73 (unless you still prefer IE), iPhoto 2 (if you think you'll ever use it), iCal 1.02 is fun, and if you have AppleWorks 6 installed, be sure to download the 6.2.4 updater -- it makes a big difference. That's a lot of downloading, I know, but you want to start your OS X experience with all the goods.

As far as MS Office, you can often get away with using AppleWorks to read uncomplicated Word documents (but not always), so it depends on how often you find yourself needing to do this. If you do install Office, try to get the new Office v.X so that you don't have to run it in Classic (OS 9) mode. If you are an educator or you know one, you can get Office at a big discount through apple.com.

MacOS X is obviously not as fast on an iBook as it is on a G4, but I use it on my iBook every day at work, as do most of my teachers on their iBooks, and it's all thumbs up. The single biggest piece of advice I can give OS X users is to always leave at least a Gigabye of hard drive space open so that OS X is free to use it for virtual memory (it dynamically uses up to 999 MB of VM depending on how many apps you're running...a far cry from setting VM yourself in OS 9).

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000