Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Michael Moore directs System of a Down

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KevinLesko Posted - 03/05/2003 : 6:37:40 PM
Up on Rollingstone.com it said that a Video for the song "BOOM!" has been made, with Michael Moore in the directing chair. I absolutely loved the Video that Moore directed for Rage Against the Machine, and I'm sure this will be just as good. The article also mentioned that Serj is working on a side project with an avante gard multi-instrumentalist. That sounds interesting!
38   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pcbTIM Posted - 04/21/2003 : 8:57:19 PM
"Here's a little trick that I used. When I had to speak in front of a large group of people, I pictured everyone in their underwear......the judge, the jury, everyone!"

"Did it work?"

"I'm a free man, ain't I?"
Arthen Posted - 04/21/2003 : 01:50:43 AM
I'm not into speeches and public speaking enough to join toastmasters. ;)

I'm more along the lines of hoping my speech will open people's eyes up and piss them off. Especially the judges.
thomasode Posted - 04/20/2003 : 6:48:10 PM
HAHAHA My Lit teacher told me to join that, but I didnt. haha just junny that you mentioned that one
tericee Posted - 04/18/2003 : 7:18:38 PM
You guys might like to join Toastmasters at some point. http://www.toastmasters.org
victorwootenfan Posted - 04/18/2003 : 2:10:59 PM
our school has something similar, called forensics. i recite poetry for it, i did decent this year, about the same as last year. I love getting up there and shouting my barbaric yawp!
Arthen Posted - 04/18/2003 : 03:32:28 AM
Where a bunch of people at my school compete by giving different speeches.

There are three types of speeches: Informative, Persuasive, and Impromptu.

I'm doing Persuasive (Why people shouldn't support Michael Moore) and Impromptu (where they give you a quote and you have a minute and a half to prepare a speech)

If I get into the finals I don't have to take my Speech Class final. And I get extra credit.
tericee Posted - 04/18/2003 : 02:07:13 AM
What exactly is a speech tournament?
Arthen Posted - 04/18/2003 : 02:05:36 AM
I've signed up for another one of those on onlinepetition or something. I'll sign that one too. Thanks Teri. It won't work, but there's always the hope.

I'm actually going to give a speech about this topic at a speech tournament coming up a week from this Saturday. Hopefully I'll open some people's eyes.
tericee Posted - 04/17/2003 : 9:57:28 PM
There's a move afoot to take back Moore's Oscar. The website is here: http://www.revoketheoscar.com
Arthen Posted - 03/29/2003 : 11:01:10 PM
Let see, he was the only redeeming quality of Disney's Hercules. If you want a semi decent vampie movie, but some great James Woods comedy I'd suggest "John Carpenter's Vampires". And his newest thing is he's starring in the USA Movie about Rudy Giullani.

I'll post anything else I can remember, but my mind's lost currently.
tericee Posted - 03/29/2003 : 9:36:19 PM
I never really thought of James Woods as a comedian... I'll have to look into that.

Ah -- he was in Virgin Suicides, which definitely qualifies as black comedy, as well as Diggstown, which is advertised as a comedy/drama.

I haven't seen the latter, so I'll look for it on video. Any others you recommend Arthen?
Arthen Posted - 03/29/2003 : 05:16:55 AM
I also have to agree and say that I thoroughly enjoy James Woods as an actor and comedian.
tericee Posted - 03/28/2003 : 10:14:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KevinLesko

I for one was VERY excited to hear that BFC won the best Documentary category and... I encourage everyone to watch the video.

Also, last night on Leno James Woods was on and he called Moore a chickenshit. Hooray for you Woods... you just lost what little fanbase you might have actually (or not) had.

a) Did you like Bowling for Columbine because it was entertaining or because it was truthful?

b) Which video are you encouraging us to watch -- the Oscars video, the SoaD video, or the B for C video?

c) James Woods probably only lost his liberal fan base. He probably retained the fans who agree that Moore is a chickenshit. I, for one, like James Woods; I've enjoyed most of his movies. (Trivia: He went MIT but never graduated.)
victorwootenfan Posted - 03/28/2003 : 9:53:11 PM
I just finally saw the video, on worldlink tv of course. i don't imagine the video will hit TRL anytime soon ;). Damn i really enjoyed it, it reminded me of older RATM videos that were so great in the political sense. God i miss rage against the machine...We really need those guys now!
tericee Posted - 03/28/2003 : 9:07:47 PM
Hey Arthen, I agree. But I also wanted to let you know that you can edit your posts using the icon with the pencil on it. I use it ALL the time. (Ask Jason, he's given me crap for doing that before.)
Arthen Posted - 03/28/2003 : 8:09:03 PM
I meant to say that 3/4ths of Americans are in favor of the war and support Bush.
Arthen Posted - 03/28/2003 : 8:06:44 PM
Voice for the majority or voice for hollywood? If I remember the audience was split half and half when he gave his speech. Half booed, half cheered, and most polls show that people in favor of the war is like 3/4ths.

I don't like Micheal Moore, not because of his speech but because of the mockery "Bowling For Columbine" was. It wasn't a documentary. It was Michael Moore making up facts, blurring the truth, and twisting things around. I think he should have his Oscar taken away.
KevinLesko Posted - 03/28/2003 : 7:25:19 PM
I for one was VERY excited to hear that BFC won the best Documentary category and being a HUGE Michael Moore fan, I applauded his acceptance speech. If you go to the official website for the awards there are links to videos of the backstage press confrenses.. and I think Michael does a great job of defending his speech (not that I think it even needs to be dfended) but I encourage everyone to watch the video.

Also, last night on Leno James Woods was on and he called Moore a chickenshit. Hooray for you Woods... you just lost what little fanbase you might have actually (or not) had. Moore is definatley not a chickenshit, quite the contrary, he is to be aplauded for providing a voice for the majority of the nation.
victorwootenfan Posted - 03/26/2003 : 11:39:35 AM
Flaming moe anyone? hadn't had one in awhile, thank ya very much..
tericee Posted - 03/26/2003 : 02:32:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by GuitarGuy305

I wasn't trying to devalue your statement, I was just saying that what Mr. Moore said was in reference to things he has said in the past.

No hostility intended

Okay, thanks. I'll try to be less sensitive.
Arthen Posted - 03/26/2003 : 01:31:00 AM
Very welcome for the linke Teri, I hope it gets passed around and more people read it so they find out the truth behind Michael Moore and his movie.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/25/2003 : 10:12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

I didn't say anything about whether it was relevent. I said that didn't do it for me. It was obviously quite relevent to Mr. Moore.

I wasn't trying to devalue your statement, I was just saying that what Mr. Moore said was in reference to things he has said in the past.

No hostility intended

Adam
tericee Posted - 03/25/2003 : 9:36:00 PM
Arthen, that was totally engrossing. Thanks for the link. (The Wall Street Journal article the author referred to is also very interesting.) I think Mr. Moore's references to fictitious times should have been directed at himself, rather then my Commander in Chief.

I admit I haven't actually seen Bowling for Columbine. I was thinking about it and then I heard that Oprah loved it. I generally avoid Oprah book club selections, so I decided I'd avoid Oprah's movie selections as well.

I really liked this miscellaneous piece of info:

"After making out Canada to be a haven of peace and safety, Moore asks why. He proclaims that Canada has "a tremendous amount of gun ownership," somewhat under one gun per household. He visits Canadian shooting ranges, gun stores, and in the end proclaims "Canada is a gun loving, gun toting, gun crazy country!"

In the end he concludes that Canada isn't peaceful because it lacks guns and gun nuts, and attributes the difference to the fact that the Canadian mass media isn't into constant hyping of fear and loathing, and the American media is."

So why does Moore bother with the NRA? Why not make a movie about the American media?

Arthen Posted - 03/25/2003 : 8:23:51 PM
If you liked Bowling for Columbine, you might want to read this:

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

He lied about a lot if it. OR when he wasn't lying, he was twisting facts around and cutting up speeches and stuff. It disgusts me that he got an Oscar.
tericee Posted - 03/24/2003 : 10:02:55 PM
I didn't say anything about whether it was relevent. I said that didn't do it for me. It was obviously quite relevent to Mr. Moore.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/24/2003 : 9:05:58 PM
The fictional president thing was very relevant. In his book Stupid White Men, he refers to President Bush as "The President no one elected" and says that "Jeb Bush gave George W. the greatest gift one brother can give another, the state of Florida"

Adam
tericee Posted - 03/24/2003 : 7:50:21 PM
I think that has come up in the last couple of presidential elections, but it never seems to get enough support. It sounds like a good idea to me though. I'd like to try it that way at least once and see if it helps.
PJK Posted - 03/24/2003 : 7:35:15 PM
I for one am glad he took a stand at the Oscars. Wish there wasn't a war going on now and he could have just thanked everyone as normal.

Also wish there was a law that on the night of a Presidential election no returns for president could be broadcast until the last polling place in the country was closed. I am guessing that would be Hawaii.
tericee Posted - 03/24/2003 : 4:10:29 PM
I saw the video this morning and didn't realize until a few minutes ago that was the one that this thread was about. It was pretty powerful.

I thought Mr. Moore was too over the top at the Academy Awards though. I respect that he wanted to make a statment, but the whole "fictional president" didn't do it for me. But it was his four minutes (or whatever) and he used his free speech. (Of course so did the people who boo-ed him.)
thomasode Posted - 03/24/2003 : 12:39:44 PM
I finally saw this one! great vidio! Michael Moore is now one of my favorite directers. He did an excellent job on Bowling for Columbine and what he said last night at the Oscar's was phnominal!
KevinLesko Posted - 03/23/2003 : 02:15:24 AM
also now up on www.systemofadown.com is an interview video with members of the band about the video.
PJK Posted - 03/20/2003 : 5:01:40 PM
Thanks Kevin! Wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't post that!
KevinLesko Posted - 03/20/2003 : 4:14:24 PM
quote:
boooo <.ram>

can't watch

go to www.michaelmoore.com they also have windows media and quicktime links
tim~and~dave Posted - 03/20/2003 : 4:10:39 PM
boooo <.ram>

can't watch
KevinLesko Posted - 03/20/2003 : 3:29:45 PM
the video is now online:

http://www.systemofadown.com/Videos/BOOM_ExpVidFull.ram
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 03/05/2003 : 10:38:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey

quote:
with an avante gard multi-instrumentalist

Gee, that sounds familar...

Vaguely...let's see...who do we know....

Adam
SpaceMonkey Posted - 03/05/2003 : 7:01:26 PM
quote:
with an avante gard multi-instrumentalist

Gee, that sounds familar...
KevinLesko Posted - 03/05/2003 : 6:53:33 PM
here is a sweet article I just found about the video

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1470301/20030303/system_of_a_down.jhtml?headlines=true

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000