Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 DD-5 Techniques

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MC Posted - 10/12/2001 : 4:15:25 PM
FIRST OFF, I KNOW THIS HAS BEEN POSTED ON THE OLD MESSAGE BOARD ABOUT A DOZEN TIMES BUT I NEVER BOTHERED TO PRINT IT OUT.

I just got a DD-5 to go with my DL-4 and I was wondering if all you guys could post some of the techniques Tim uses. I just wanted to get some info on some cool tricks. I appreciate it, thank you everyone.

Jon, you should make a special section of the website that has DD-5 techniques up permanently, it could save everyone from having to post this stuff each time some fool, like me, gets a DD-5.

Thanks again

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dave S Posted - 11/02/2001 : 9:03:05 PM
I think the backwards mode does fade out, very very slowly though. Usually it's fine though, the older stuff fades out and the new motifs take over.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 11/01/2001 : 7:20:19 PM
About the backwards mode, tim says on the Set Up Page that the backwards mode can go infinite. When i mess with it, I get some nasty stuff going, but when I leave it, it seems to bleed off slowly, anyone else notice this? Or is my pedal fucked? I have the F. Back all the way at Max, so It should go until I switch the pedal off....maybe it just bleeds off, I'm not sure.

Adam

And on the 8th day God created the art of war...and laughing, planned the end.

Email: Guitar_Boy1@yahoo.com

AIM: GuitarGuy305
KevinLesko Posted - 10/30/2001 : 8:41:04 PM
Warning, if you are easlily offended don't read this, if you are a big perv, then read on!

Here is a quote from Tim that relates to a pedal technique: This is from one of the TR3 shows I have... some in the audience yells out about jacking off and Tim reply's "Hey bro, how much pressure you got? You think if you squirt you can reach it up here onto these (his pedals) and maybe make some cool sounds"

So there ya go guys... spewge onto the DD-5 and see what that does!

Reese Posted - 10/29/2001 : 12:24:29 AM
thanks

Silky The Pimp Posted - 10/28/2001 : 10:50:22 PM
Line 6.
-Jeff

Reese Posted - 10/28/2001 : 10:17:14 PM
who make's the DL-4? just curious. thanks.

later

Nate Posted - 10/20/2001 : 1:56:19 PM
yeah i thought the same about the church bell sound, but if you mess around with it, you can get it so that certain notes feed back a whole lot. it sounds cool the eastern instrument way with distortion on. also, somebody posted on the old message board the way he gets that sound from DDTW on storytellers. you use the slide so that the flat part(with the hole for your finger)of the slide is on like the 15th fret of a wound string, then as you just kinda move the slide back and forth really fast on that one fret with some delay on, you use the wah as a sweeping effect, like WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH, not wah wah wah.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/20/2001 : 11:47:19 AM
My latest Musicians Friend catalog lists them for 125.99. It may be cheaper at http://www.musiciansfriend.com though. Also, you may pay a little more or a little less at a local music store.

Adam

Arthen Posted - 10/20/2001 : 12:38:16 AM
How much does one, on average, cost?

"Don't drink the pickle juice from the pickle jar, until all the pickles are gone."
-Son of a Boss
Arthenc@hotmail.com
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/20/2001 : 12:34:48 AM
Yeah, the church bells sound more like an Eastern Instrument sound to me too. Cool stuff.

Adam

Dave S Posted - 10/19/2001 : 10:55:41 PM
I got a DD-5 for my 18th birthday today, this thing is incredible! I played around with it in the shop but i've actually figured it out now, and spent about two hours creating these wonderful loops. I think maybe my favorite mode is mode 4 with the feedback turned to max, so it is basically an infinite loop. Messing with the pitch in reverse (6) is also a lot of fun. I tried the 'church bell' sound, but I personally think it sounds more like some sort of eastern instrument.

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 10/13/2001 : 12:30:19 AM
A cool DD5-DL4 combo thing I like to do is use the reverse mode on the DD5, turn the feedback knob all the way clockwise, and the D.Time knob all the way counterclockwise (setting it so that when you turn the knob back, it goes down an octave). Anyway, once the formalities are out of the way, tune your low E down to B or A, or whatever lower note you want, and strum like a madman. I sometimes like to kick on the wah to get some weirder sounds, or maybe scrape the pick along the low E near the sound hole a few times. Anyway, after that, turn the D.Time knob back clockwise, causing the sound to move down an octave. Use your badass 14 second loop to loop that badboy. Then sit and enjoy your masterpiece. Now...at my bands gigs...if the mood strikes me, I like to scream some shit (usually Indoctrinate lyrics a la Tim at the Union Bar show) over the loop.

Even though Tim did it becuase he was pissed at the crowd, I think it's damn cool. And I'm a pretty good judge about whether the crowd will "get it" or not. Small bar....no, larger place, yes. Besides a lot of the music these people are into is so called "hardcore" and its just screaming to music...with no definite melody.

Now that I think about it....this "technique" could prove absolutely useless to anyone but me....hehe.
Adam

Nate Posted - 10/12/2001 : 11:39:20 PM
im not sure about what part that is, cause i dont have a recording or anything of it, but im pretty sure hes just got it on reverse mode(6) and has the feedback up all of the way. then he plays the open d and it starts repeating and he changes the delay time and the pitch gradually changes. i liked that performance of the song, would have been awesome if he could have played another 6 minutes. ill post those other settings some other time soon.

MC Posted - 10/12/2001 : 5:44:04 PM
I was also wondering about techniques Tim used in the Kilborn performance.

There was one part of the song when Tim plays just an open low E or D real fast and loops it, then he messes with one of the pedals and it lowers the pitch and raises the pitch. I dont think it is the DL-4 because the pitch change was gradual, like done with a knob instead of the button on the DL-4. Does anyone know how to gradually change the pitch on a loop? It might take both pedals to do, some crazy combination.

Thanks again for your help.

Nate Posted - 10/12/2001 : 5:27:17 PM
i agree about that dd-5/dl-4 section of the page, its a great idea. youve probably figured some of these out but ill post them anyway. on mode 6(reverse mode), you can change the speed and pitch by turning the feedback all the way up, playing something and then messing with the delay time. also, patrick orcutt posted this one that i like a lot, on mode 7 turn the feedback up all the way or nearly all the way, put the delay time at about 9 o clock or so and mess with it and you can get some cool "church bell" type tones, each note feeds back. tim also does a lot of stuff thats not hard to figure out. on many intros to songs he plays scales with a little delay on so that parts overlap. i dont own a dl-4 so i cant post any cool combinations. right now im going to go mess around with my dd-5 and make another post with some additional settings.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000