Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 U.S. Terrorist Threat Raised to High

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Miss Sorrel Posted - 02/07/2003 : 1:58:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/02/07/threat.level/index.html

I know that since the Twin Towers tragedy we have seen this a couple times with no harm done. But, of course, follow your intuition.... better safe than sorry.

It upsets me that what they are telling the general public is that this there's much based on that it is now the Muslims time to make their pilgrimage to Mecca. Muslims don't seem to want to hurt us, and I think that this exploitation of the holiday is only going to cause more racism in the country that isn't needed. For example, last night I went out to an over-crowded bar with a few girlfriends, and one is Indian. She isn't from India, but her parents are. Now, even though she is of a completely different culture, heritage, and religion, but because she looked foreign, she was harassed to the point of tears, and we left. I couldn't believe it.

Taking something very negative and trying to turn it into a positive, Bush has the opportunity to do something AMAZING.... This is a situation where intellectual and diplomatic decisions could be made. If this were handled differently, he could go down in history, not as the president who took us to war, but as a leader that took this country's honor, power, and pride and used it to prove how dignified America is. But, I don't think that he's going to take that road.... OF COURSE though, i realize that that is so much easier said than done. I not thrilled about having Bush in his position.... but when I think about it, I am happy that I am not in it, along with most the people that I know.... Although Fluffy, you'd have my vote as well

What do you all think?
32   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fluffy Posted - 02/14/2003 : 1:45:41 PM
New News about the Threat Level:

BAD TIP MY HAVE HELPED BOOST ALERT
by Curt Anderson c.AssPress

WASHINGTON (Feb. 14) - A senior government official said Friday the administration now believes some of the information which led to upgrading the nation's terror threat level last week to orange, or high, was likely fabricated.

Authorities drew that conclusion based on polygraphs given to terrorist suspects interviewed by the government, said this official, speaking on condition of anonymity. The apparent fabrication was first reported by ABC News.

But that information was not the sole basis for the decision to raise the alert status, the official said, adding that the change of the status from code yellow to orange was based on multiple intelligence sources and not a single tip.

Eying a jittery public, President Bush planned a speech Friday at FBI headquarters to highlight steps the federal government is taking to increase security, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said. Bush was making the short trip down Pennsylvania Avenue primarily to talk up the new Terrorist Threat Integration Center.

First announced in Bush's State of the Union speech, the center will analyze foreign and domestic intelligence gathered from a wide array of federal agencies and report to CIA Director George Tenet. In some cases, the center will also decide which intelligence should be collected at home and overseas.

Meanwhile, business is going on in the nation's capital, but signs of preparation for possible terrorism are everywhere. Members of Congress are being told to have necessary supplies ready in the event of evacuation while the government warns key industries about potential attacks.

''Everyone in (the Capitol) has remained calm but cautious,'' said Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, chairman of the House Administration Committee. ''There is not a panic situation here.''

Even so, lawmakers were told to gather up supplies, sensitive documents, medicine and a laminated list of key phone numbers in case they have to leave quickly. Congressional staffers this week received training in how to operate ''escape hoods'' that protect against chemical and biological substances.

Justice Department officials said Thursday there were no plans to raise the terror threat level to red, or severe, meaning an attack was imminent or under way.

The official also said federal authorities have identified between 20 and 40 people in the United States that trained in al-Qaida camps in Afghanistan. Of those, ''less than a dozen'' are believed to have had recent contact with al-Qaida operatives overseas, this official said, commenting on a report first broadcast by NBC.

Authorities also are keeping tabs on roughly 600 al-Qaida ''sympathizers'' in this country, said the official, who cautioned that there may be many more who are unknown to law enforcement authorities.

Visible anti-terror security measures around Washington included officers carrying rifles in the Capitol complex and the deployment of anti-aircraft missile batteries.

A new bulletin from the FBI and the National Infrastructure Protection Center was issued to companies involved in such industries as telecommunications, energy, and banking and finance, as well as operators of water systems and electric utilities, law enforcement agencies and emergency services.

Officials believe al-Qaida could target these entities with chemical, biological or radiological attacks. Such an attack, officials say, could prompt terror and mass casualties and disrupt the regional or national economy.

For people who might be faced with or respond to an attack, the bulletin recommends reading the Chemical, Biological and Radiological Incident handbook available on the CIA Internet site.

The FBI bulletin urges people who come in contact with a suspect substance to ''cover their mouths with a cloth while leaving the area, avoid touching surfaces and wash their hands thoroughly.''

AP-NY-02-14-03 0900EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 02/13/2003 : 10:39:52 PM
You know, i was talking to my mom about all of this, and we were saying that we as a nation are actually VICTIMS of terrorism right now, as we speak. Everyone buying duct tape and shit at home depot IS TERRORISM. WE ARE BEING TERRORIZED AS WE SPEAK!!!!! People are afraid of another attack, and HAVE been since 9-11-01. THAT is terrorism. And its fucking hilarious, because the same people who said "Don't be afraid, go to stores, shop, go to shows and concerts...etc..." are now saying "Buy duct tape, and barricade yourself indoors until the crisis is over"

Just a thought. They dont have to blow up another building to terrorize us further.

This reminds me of a joke, see if you get my point....

This golf pro is hanging around the pro shop on the course where he always plays. A hobo wanders in to the pro shop, talking shit to the pro.
"I'll bet I could beat you at a game of golf," the hobo says.
"In your fucking dreams" Laughs the pro, and saunters off.
In the end, the pro gets cornered by the hobo, and the hobo says. "Look, I'll bet you $1500 bucks I can beat you. If I lose, I owe you $1500 bucks"
The pro knows this hobo isnt good for it, but he wants to humiliate him anyway, so he takes him up on it. "Good," the hobo says, "now, just give me two 'gotchas' and I can beat your ass in golf."
"What's a 'gotcha'?" asks the pro.
"Never you mind. Just give me two 'gotchas', and I'll beat you fair and square" The hobo says.
"Whatever, lets get on with it." The pro says. They shake on it, and start towards the course.

The get on the course, the first tee off. The hobo lets the pro go first. As the pro gets ready to take his first swing, the hobo reaches between the pro's legs and squeezes his balls as hard as he can screaming "GOTCHA!!!"
"WHAT THE FUCK???!!!" The pro screams, and fucks up his first shot.

From there on, even though the hobo completely blows at golf, he beats the pro by a somewhat large margin. And the pro has to pay the hobo $1500 dollars.

Later that day, the pro is relating this story to the owner of the pro shop.
"So how the fuck did he beat you then?" the owner asks.
"You try playing 18 holes of golf waiting for the second 'gotcha'" The pro says.

Now.....is the US, or is not the US...waiting for the second 'gotcha' ?????

Adam
GRock Posted - 02/13/2003 : 5:36:33 PM
Bush's stimulus package was more of a tax reform. I do agree with his proposals but it wasn't a stimulus package.

So maybe this is the stimulus package. everyone is out buying stuff. maybe we'll pick right out of this recession. Bush is so smat. i mean smaRt.
PJK Posted - 02/13/2003 : 4:12:40 PM
Thanks for your input Miss Sorrel. I agree. I bought bottled H2O but I always do because I hate the taste of our tap water. I also keep canned food but only things we eat and we don't eat much canned food. I have a huge freezer full of food and I know it could all spoil if the electric went, although it is so cold here this TIMe of year it wouldn't be a problem.

The threat of terrorism was all the talk at work today, most people aren't doing much. One friend whose husband is a police officer said they haven't been given any new information and aren't doing anything special. Our news said all the local police were on high alert etc etc. Not true.

I don't know what the big thing is about North Korea's striking capability, that has been true for over 2 years so why are they bringing it up now except to scare people???????

I am feeling better too since I heard an "expert" on dirty bombs talk about them on GMA this morning. He said the immediate explosion would be harmful but that the radiation is low level and it wouldn't kill anyone and it is unlikely anyone would suffer any health problem due to the radiation. I am just going to go on with my life. Don't know what else to do, but why get all upset about something that may not happen and will be out of my control if it does?
tim~and~dave Posted - 02/13/2003 : 11:04:28 AM
i have wanted an emergency hideout underground since i was a litle kid. i still do. that has nothing to do with an orange aleart
Miss Sorrel Posted - 02/13/2003 : 10:49:51 AM
To PJK, Tim~and~Dave, and GuitarGuy… I am happy that this topic has come up!

PJK, I completely understand your fear of being separated from your family. Terrorist or not, it’s hard for me because I know that if I need to be home with my family it takes me hours to get there, not to mention that my brother lives in Costa Rica and my sister lives in Vermont (rest of us in Fl). While it may seem ridiculous, it’s hard to ignore the warnings. It’s in times like this where I used a system of justified thinking…. I always keep duct tape around, there’s some in the kitchen, and in my gas guzzling car (but just because the news is SAYING to buy, doesn’t mean I am going to stop)…. And food is food, you just keep it in the house, even if it is canned! I just think that there are certain things that you can justify with out going overboard. Now… building an emergency hide out under-ground or something of that sort, I would consider excessive (I also put buying a gas mask in this category).

I do believe that there’s always a flip side as well. I spend some time at homeless shelters, and we had an abundance of food donations after the turn of the new year in 2000 from the Y2K scare! What was somebody else’s judgment error was a blessing to so many others!

So point being…. Unless you don’t watch TV, don’t read anything, and keep yourself locked up, you can’t ignore the warnings and scares. But I am going to say the same thing I did in the beginning of this thread… follow your intuition. No doubt, the canned food companies prosper from this. But it’s ridiculous to not buy all the things that you typically would. I am sure you ALWAYS miss your kids… it’s things like this that remind us of how much we want to be around our family and loved ones! There’s a happy medium to be found in all of this!
PJK Posted - 02/12/2003 : 11:33:49 PM
Hey Adam, thanks to you too! I am usually pretty level headed but they have just saturated the news with this. It was really starting to freak me out!

They kept talking about how something always happens after Bin Laden releases tapes but he released a lot last fall and nothing happened. I don't know why people are buying the duct tape and plastic because it would take a lot of time to make your house air tight if that is even possible.

I always keep bottled water but that is because we hate the taste of our tap water. I also have a pretty good supply of food, but again I always do because if I get sick or we have a family emergency then I don't have to worry about getting food in. But in reality I don't even know if we would be home when something would happen so it wouldn't even matter!

GuitarGuy305 Posted - 02/12/2003 : 10:59:51 PM
The duct tape manufacturers, and manufacturers of canned goods, gas masks, and bottled watter payed off Bush to raise the level to High and encourage people to gather these items.

Duct tape and canned goods and bottled water, in reality, would not save you from this shit. But USA does not deal in reality, so who cares. If the time comes, it will come, and duct tape and bottled water and gas masks will not save us. But I am confident this is all a bunch of bullshit.

What I do find funny....

They announced they have a new tape of Osama Bin Laden. He tells Iraq to wage war against the USA, be martyrs, etc....

This is odd, since before now, a lot of US citizens and other countries were pissed that the Bush wanted to go to war with Iraq. Many stated that there was no good reason for it....well, now we have one, Osama has urged Iraq to attack US. In the words of the Church Lady..."How conveeeeeeeenient"

Adam
PJK Posted - 02/12/2003 : 10:46:56 PM
Thanks I needed that.....really!
tim~and~dave Posted - 02/12/2003 : 10:39:21 PM
you are being stupid. heyyou aksed for that. do not be a product of the media
PJK Posted - 02/12/2003 : 9:43:15 PM
In my area all the news is about the threat of a dirty bomb and everyone is buying gas masks and duct tape.

Kevin, I could really use a post from you right now about the government and how they work the fear factor, because as much as I am trying not to let this all get to me, I am beginning to feel afraid.

I know there is nothing I could do if there is a terrorist attack, all these people and their gas masks, like who is going around carrying a gas mask and a "Zoot suit"????? You would have to carry them with you at all times. I guess I am starting to worry about being separated from my family, with my son at college and my daughter commuting to college.

Why am I letting them get to me like this????? Sat. I was disappointed that I didn't get tickets to the TIM/Dave concert and now I hope the concerts will be able to go on and nothing horrible happens to end our way of life as we know it.

Please Kevin, or someone, could you post and tell me how stupid I am being. This is one TIMe I would welcome being told I am being stupid!I knew I shouldn't watch the news tonight. The way they are talking it is almost a given that something will happen in the next couple of days. President's Day is coming up, what better TIMe to do an attack??? Oh now they have me talking crazy! Help!
SpaceMonkey Posted - 02/12/2003 : 4:37:42 PM
Just to add to what Kevin said about creating a sense of fear....I saw on some news channel the bit about Home Depots selling out of bottled water and duct tape...and another Osoma tape being released...kinda funny how these things pop every now and again.
KevinLesko Posted - 02/11/2003 : 11:51:25 PM
quote:
Don't you wish we could increase our salaries because of the threat of war?????

PAM!!!! One of your best ideas to date!!! Since the cost of everything is going up as a result of this unessecary FEAR, and pointless alerts, or salary should increase to compensate for the hikes! I think we should write our congressmen and representatives and let them know... its no more ridiculous than half of what is going on.
victorwootenfan Posted - 02/11/2003 : 8:01:35 PM
one of my friends has a suburban, and it took him about 50 bucks to fill up half the tank on it. after 50 dollars, he just gave up trying to fill it up all the way.
Miss Sorrel Posted - 02/11/2003 : 7:12:55 PM
LOL.... Well you pinned it pcbTIM, the SUV part anyhow....
pcbTIM Posted - 02/11/2003 : 5:48:54 PM
Sorrel's probably got an SUV. Man I hate those things. They are unnecessarily big, especially around here in L.A. And it really blows to be stuck behind one. And one thing that I've noticed is that 90% of the TIMe, there are moms about 5'3 that are driving these things. I don't get it.
PJK Posted - 02/11/2003 : 4:04:00 PM
VWF you are soooo funny, hehe, I'm sorry but I just couldn't help my last comment...all in jest ofcourse!

And you are sooo right about this being mostly post-whoring.....don't ya just love it!

Miss Sorrel how many gallons can you car hold???? $40-45 is steep, but if I had my old van it would probably hold that much. Come to think of it you are probably not far off from what my van would take now because I usually don't let it go much under 1/2 until I fill it and it is about $22 to do that. So if I let it go down to 1/4 or so it would be close to $40 I guess. At any rate,I guess we all should pray a lot that he gets impeached, hehe.
victorwootenfan Posted - 02/11/2003 : 12:06:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Sorrel

...A LOT of prayer....

Amen!
Miss Sorrel Posted - 02/11/2003 : 10:44:04 AM
My car is ridiculous to fill.... with gas being at about $1.60 it cost me $40-$45 to fill mt tank. I just don't drive it lately. I do a lot of public transportation and biking about now (it's perfect weather to now.... got to get it before I roast). In my home town gas is over $2/gal!! Something must be done.... I think we need that votetoimpeach.com site in every thread.... that or A LOT of prayer....
victorwootenfan Posted - 02/11/2003 : 08:03:16 AM
come on now, that was accidental, i was trying to type that in on the asses thread. Cause some of those asses are fairly nice and all... But this post is most def. a post whore type of thing.
PJK Posted - 02/11/2003 : 12:40:12 AM
Geeze, someone is REALLY trying to get to 1000, posting on the wrong topic by ass, hehe LOL

Yeah, I hear ya about the gas, I am just soooo thankful I got a new van as my old one was a real gas guzzler (is that even a word,hehe)

Don't you wish we could increase our salaries because of the threat of war?????

I have oil heat as well and I can only imagine what my next heating bill will be!!!!
victorwootenfan Posted - 02/10/2003 : 8:39:21 PM
ignore that last thing i said, wrong topic....

anyway i had to pay 22.90 for gas last time and that's 4 bucks more than i've ever had to pay for gas.
victorwootenfan Posted - 02/10/2003 : 8:37:21 PM
that's nice!!!!
KevinLesko Posted - 02/10/2003 : 5:19:16 PM
Pam, I think I paid about the same thing last week sometime... havent seen the prices lately though. That is oretty steep for me though, mainly because I go to the cheapest place around (not a name brand like Shell) and also, Oragne County (where I live) is close to the refineries, so it is a bit cheaper here because it doesnt cost much to transport the gas.
PJK Posted - 02/10/2003 : 4:58:49 PM
Speaking of gas, what are you all paying for a gallon???? I just paid $1.59 9/10 for reg. 87 oct. I paid the same amt. at Penn State when I took my son back yesterday and they are usually .10 cheaper there due to all of our taxes.

Yeah, Kevin, funny how that is a "reason" to raise the price! Pisses me off big time!!!!!!!!!!
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 02/10/2003 : 4:58:30 PM
Is the HIGH level Condition Natural, or Condition Cream???

Adam
KevinLesko Posted - 02/10/2003 : 4:43:59 PM
quote:
anyone heard any further news on the high level threat?

yes, I read a story that gas prices rose by 10 cents as a result of the FEAR of war after the alert... sound familiar? SCARE the public into spending more money... its a tactic used all the time... remember Y2K??
victorwootenfan Posted - 02/10/2003 : 4:34:20 PM
anyone heard any further news on the high level threat?
KevinLesko Posted - 02/08/2003 : 01:14:09 AM
I think the best response to the raised alert is the article I posted from Noam Chomsky. Basically, the only way Bush is going to get the support of the people is if he gets everyone to be afraid for their lives, and feel as though they need to rally around their leader for protection.
SpaceMonkey Posted - 02/08/2003 : 12:06:14 AM
If the terorsist level is high in this country, I wonder what it is in Iraq....they're gonna get shelled any day now, I fear.
tericee Posted - 02/07/2003 : 5:24:59 PM
I read the article and all I saw about the Hajj was that intelligence indicated that Al Queda planned some sort of terrorist action around the middle or end of the Hajj. If that's all the information the intel folks have gathered (rather than actual dates of possible attacks) then that's the best they have.

I think to say that the timing is concurrent with the Hajj is different than saying the terrorist action is BECAUSE of the Hajj.
PJK Posted - 02/07/2003 : 3:29:07 PM
I don't know why they do that? The Haji is the Muslim's Fifth pillar of Faith. All Muslims who can afford it must make the pilgrimage at least once in their life TIMe. The pilgrimage involves elaborate rites that take place over many days. Before arriving at Mecca, the pilgrims bathe, cut their hair and nails, and take off jewelry. They then put on a white seamless garment symbolizing a state of purity. Because Muslims from all over the world make the pilgrimage, Hajj is a symbol of Muslim unity and equality.

Pilgrims circle the Ka'bah in the Great Mosque in Mecca. The heavy black covering that protects the shrine is replaced each year. The cloth covers a single doorway that leads into a room inside the Ka'bah.

Again it ticks me when people think Muslims and Terrorists are synonymous. I don't know that the article over reacted about the fact that terrorist threats are up because of the Hajj (which is the pilgimage not a holiday)but I don't really see it as a factor.

There is a lot of similarities to Chrisianity and the Jewish faith. Many prophets who are important figures in the Bible are also described in the Qur'an. Abraham is thought to be the father of the Jews through his son Issac. Abraham is also considered to be the father of Arabs through his son Ishmael. The Jews' and Christians' holy book the Bible is considered by Muslims to be based on God's revelations.The Muslims believe that the other religions are less correct than Islam because the Qur'an teaches that the Bible has suffered loss and change with TIMe. Christians and Jews are respected as "people of the book" by Muslims.

I was sorry to hear about your friend. I don't know why people have to be so ignorant. Glad she had you and others to leave the bar with her.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000