Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Smoking

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CPPJames Posted - 01/23/2003 : 1:21:02 PM
Anyone here have a good method of quitting smoking? I've been smoking at least a pack a day for several years now and it hurts financially and physically. Just curious if anyone has success stories.

James
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CPPJames Posted - 01/24/2003 : 09:57:56 AM
Thanks for the support. I'll keep you posted. I just want to be considerate of other TR fans, ya know? Gotta keep my posts smelling fresh.
PJK Posted - 01/23/2003 : 6:23:58 PM
Definitely do it gradually. The only person I ever told to please go back to smoking was a friend of mine who I worked with. She quit cold turkey, and transformed from a very laid back, sweet person into a mega bitch!!!!!After 4 or 5 days I couldn't take her any more and begged her to go back to smoking for awhile! She quit for awhile but last I saw her she still smokes. ( I don't think she went back because of what I said. Honestly she was such a bitch at that point I doubt she cared what I thought!)

I certainly hope you are successful! I think it's great that you are going to quit! You know you'll have the support of everyone here!
Silky The Pimp Posted - 01/23/2003 : 5:47:00 PM
A few years ago I did a collaborative study on smokers and found that the highest success rate for quitting did come from those that took a gradient approach... much like what Dickey was describing. He hit the nail on the head when he said to set goals on a calendar and adhere to them. A very dear friend of mine was able to quit using by cutting back in pieces with the aid of the patch. I think desire to quit is the strongest help though.
Dickey500 Posted - 01/23/2003 : 5:18:26 PM
There are multiple schools of though in regard to smoking cessation.
Since you're such a heavy smoker, you'd probably do better with a slow descent in the number of smokes you have per day...cold turkey will definitely affect you horribly.

The patch/gum are good for some people, but you'll never know if you're one of those people til you try it.

A good way to start is to pick a date and set a goal. Say "I'm going to start quitting on Feb 1st. By March first, I'm gonna be down to 1.5 packs per day." Something like that. If you set a goal, mark a calendar, and keep a log of your progress - it'll really help. If you want some more info, I'd be glad to hook you up. It's not easy to do...the average smoker tries SEVEN times before successfully quitting. My dad quit by going to a hypnotist.
Jay Posted - 01/23/2003 : 2:21:26 PM
Well, considering that I don't smoke THAT much...not even half a pack daily, I won't be much help...but my dad quit for two years using little pieces of really tasty candy and chewing on plastic when he needed a smoke...regardless, he started up again. THe patches don't work too well, and neither does the gum, but Willy Nelson quit smoking AND drinking once he discovred pot.
CPPJames Posted - 01/23/2003 : 2:04:52 PM
Well, sometimes I smoke up to 3 packs a day. It's really vile. I have the motivation, I just need some assistance.
therippa Posted - 01/23/2003 : 1:59:23 PM
I wish I could help, but I can't seem to quit either. The first priority is coming up with a reason to quit. Money and health are great, but $5/day doesn't hurt me and I figure by the time I'm 40 and have lung cancer we will have the technology to cure it or even grow me a new lung!

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000