Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 SNOW DAY!!!!!!!!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jay Posted - 01/23/2003 : 07:24:38 AM
I got my first snowday today! Wanna know why? It's 7 degrees outside! windchill is -10 to -20! YEEEEEHAWWW!
54   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
thomasode Posted - 04/10/2003 : 9:19:34 PM
Up here in L-Town we got close to 6 feet about 4 weeks ago. We had school off for a week and then the next week was Spring Break! Needless to say it is in the mid 70's today and all that is left of the blizzard are collapsed buildings (Flat topped roofs in Colorado? NO SHIT! DUMB ASSES) and some snow.
Arthen Posted - 04/07/2003 : 7:06:38 PM
Ahhh California Winters/Springs are composed of High 70s, low 50s. Although, I'd like a little snow.
tericee Posted - 04/07/2003 : 6:59:21 PM
I haven't seen snow in a long time. But then I pay over $2.00 per gallon for gas. Hmmmm...
PJK Posted - 04/07/2003 : 6:55:07 PM
HAHAHAHAHA Don't ya hate when that happens! Only where you might get off from school if it snows would anyone understand how that one feels! I hate when that happens, but I have had enough snow thanks.
Jay Posted - 04/07/2003 : 4:25:48 PM
It said 4-8 inches of snow tonite for my area...I woke up late and found...RAIN!!! GODDAMMIT!
monkeyman41 Posted - 04/07/2003 : 1:59:45 PM
its april 7th and im home with a snow day right now. what crappy timing i have trimester exams starting on friday i needed all that cramming in class
PJK Posted - 04/07/2003 : 1:50:03 PM
I just got home from work, they closed school at 1:00 due to SNOW!!!! April showers????? Never thought they meant snow showers!
tericee Posted - 02/19/2003 : 7:33:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LizT

Delaware sucks when it comes to snow removal.

You're not kidding!

02/19/03 - DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. (AFPN) -- Two sections of the 436th Aerial Port Squadron warehouse here collapsed Feb. 18 after the recent snow storm. No one was injured in the collapse that caused more than an estimated $1 million in damages. The damage covers two of the six cargo processing bays in the facility. (Photo by John Sidoriak)
tericee Posted - 02/18/2003 : 7:21:35 PM
Hmmm... snow. Interesting concept.
PJK Posted - 02/18/2003 : 7:14:20 PM
Mental note: Never say you love snow.

Right now I hate it! My shoulders are killing me from all the shoveling. This was supposed to be a 3 day weekend for me. I got 4 days due to the snow but most of it was spent shoveling. I was home alone and we have a double drive and sidewalks! The snow piles on the side of my drive are up to my nose. I am only 5'4" so lifting the snow up and over the sides was no easy feat!

Then the snowplows kept coming though and blocked the driveway and walks all over again. I just came in from unblocking the drive for the 8th TIMe!!!!! Every muscle in my body aches!
Evergreen Posted - 02/17/2003 : 07:19:21 AM
WOW you guys really did get blasted! I just saw pictures of
all your snow. Things are usually shifted and its us northeasterners who are getting dumped upon! I was pleasently woken up earlier this morning, and the moon was huge and bright in a crystal clear sky.
A cold clear sky however. It hasn't been warmer than -15 in 5 days here. At my parents in the Adirondack mountains it was -42 on 2 mornings. That was without any wind chill. My sis works in the emergency department in lake placid and they had 20 plus cases of frostbite in one day. Most people trying to hike in the high peaks of the mountains and a few snowboarders. I don't like to call people stupid, but............
There's only ONE thing to be doing when its this cold!

But anyway the point was, the news was saying over 15 people were dead as a result of all your snow SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL if you have to go driving.
Fluffy Posted - 02/16/2003 : 9:24:49 PM
INDEED, called on the count of bad weather. After a long day of "chicken" between Vince Gills' mgmt and the 9:30 mgmt, we prevailed, but not before loading in all his equipment, setting up all his equipment, SHOW CALLED, tearing down all his equipment and reloading the semi. The snow is fierce and DEEP. My roomates care(a big american car of some kind) sits in front of our living space as a testament to the wrath of the gods. The snow is now up to his hood, and the snow on his hood is up to the roof of his car. Can you say DEEP. They say it will continue thru all of tomorrow so I can expect a cancellation tomorrow as well by the wimpy limey band scheduled to play. I am scheduled to be there at 2pm. Hopefully, I will have another day off only this TIMe, no work, instead of a full day of work with no show to show for it. Good thing I like snow, or this would be hell. Hey wait, there is no snow in hell, and if there is the show tomorrow is the last thing I should be worried about.

Note to self:Will never find the snow shovel NOW, I think it's buried.
PJK Posted - 02/16/2003 : 12:32:00 PM
Liz, what new job? I thought you already went to the OR???

Fluffy, I just got an email that the Temptations just cancelled their performance for tonight. My guess is that the 9:30 Club will be closed.

I stopped at the grocery store early this morning to get a few things I needed and geeze, I had to get a cart from someone who was just finished loading things in their car. Always a bad sign when there are no shopping carts! Now I just pray that the electric doesn't go off or there goes my heat (even though I use oil it needs electric to run). Since it is just me and the dog here, it wouldn't be fun.
LizT Posted - 02/16/2003 : 10:35:38 AM
I hope this isn't a bad omen, but I start my new job tomorrow. How the hell am I going to get there with 16 inches of snow on the ground??? My little civic will bottom out. Delaware sucks when it comes to snow removal.
PJK Posted - 02/16/2003 : 07:50:41 AM
Yeah this is supposed to be a big one! It is soooo cold too! Just think, it is supposed to go up to 50 degrees on Friday, go figure????

I hope your show isn't cancelled but I bet it is. And yes, I do know where my shovel is! Seems my shovel and I have become VERY well aquainted this winter! Such a fine shovel it is too, hehehe!

I have off from school for Presidents day but if it snows all day tomorrow I may not have school Tuesday either! I hope it will just be a 2 hour delay because otherwise it will add days to our already long year and my summer program will start late again. Last year there were some days we let the kids go home early from the summer program because it just got too damn hot to keep them inside....no air conditioning in the school.
Fluffy Posted - 02/16/2003 : 05:07:17 AM
Well it snowed a little this morning on my way into the club and then turned to rain and even that fizzled out. So around 2am tonite, while I was picking up the Mule's bus driver, it began to snow and snow and snow and snow and in less than an hour we had 4-5 inches on the ground. I can't imagine what it will look like tomorrow. It is supposed to continue to snow here until Monday nite late someTIMe. I have to be back at the club at 10am tomorrow to drive Vince Gill around. Although, I don't suspect there will be much "driving around" if the snow keeps up HEHE. We are just hoping that Vince can make it and the show won't be cancelled. So off to bed, just wanted to mention that it's SNOWING again here in DC and it looks like this will be the BIG ONE!! They are predicting 16+ inches by Tuesday morning. HMMMMMM, now where did I put that snow shovel. HEHE
PJK Posted - 02/15/2003 : 08:41:23 AM
You HAVE to drive Govn't Mule around?????Damn you are soooo lucky!!!!I would do that for free!!!!!!hehehe

We got a dusting of snow last night and into this morning. We are supposed to get 6"+ tomorrow. That is on top of what we have on the ground now. Then it is supposed to go up into the 40's this coming week so we will have a melting mess out side and I will have muddy paw prints on my floors once again!

I agree, glad to see the snow! I love it, just hate when it melts and makes such a mess. My dog will get all muddy from the yard, his favorite spots have no grass because he wore a path running along the fence and there's just mud under my bird feeder from the birds and seed that falls from the feeder. And to think I just gave my pooch a bath this morning.....no easy feat, he is a 91 pound black lab!
Fluffy Posted - 02/15/2003 : 08:32:29 AM
Well, they called for snow all day thursday and friday, NO SNOW! Last nite while I was at work it was raining all evening. Even when I left at 4am. Well, I run to the bathroom moments ago and BOOM! it is snowing again. We sure are having alot of snow this season. Which is nice, because the last few years we really haven't had a winter. Anyway, must go to bed, gotta get up early and drive Govt Mule around. If the show isn't cancelled. HEHE
sinko25 Posted - 02/08/2003 : 9:07:32 PM
I live in New Hampshire. We've gotten a shit load of snow this year, but not ONE snow day. Stupid superintendant. And yeah, it's been -7 with the windchill, but she obviously doesn't care if we freeze to death
LizT Posted - 02/07/2003 : 6:31:08 PM
Bah humbug!!! I don't like snow. Sorry to say, but we have about 10 inches on the ground right now. My 2 younger ones enjoyed it today, but I stayed in the house. Emily and Daniel enjoyed the snow and a brief intermission in the hot tub! What a sight, snow on the ground and bathing suits!
PJK Posted - 02/07/2003 : 3:38:16 PM
The downside of snow is shoveling. I actually like to do that but my snow piles were getting higher than my shoulders and now all I can say is "ouch" hehe

Next TIMe I won't heap them so high! Still glad to have the TIMe off!
PJK Posted - 02/07/2003 : 05:56:28 AM
Whoa, biking in the snow, now thats a funny picture! Glad you are a good friend! I like snow too, but not THAT much, I would have taken you up on the ride! hehehe
Fluffy Posted - 02/07/2003 : 05:49:13 AM
My roommate just came home from the club(on his bicycle)about an hour ago and he says he thinks there is already 6 inches out there. Who knows how much we may have by 4pm.

PS:Just so you know I am not a lousy friend, I called him at 3am and offered to come pick him up, but he opted to ride his bike. He says he really likes the snow. I offered to get up and drive him to work in the morning since it will be way worse when he gets up to go to work and he again said he would rather walk. He really likes the snow I guess. HEHE
PJK Posted - 02/07/2003 : 05:17:25 AM
Woohooo No school!!!!!
Fluffy Posted - 02/07/2003 : 03:09:39 AM
Speaking of snow, we are also under a deluge(for DC). They are expecting about 8 inches and judging from how bad the roads were coming home at 12:30am, I would imagine it will only be worse in the morning. It is supposed to stop sometime around 4pm tomorrow. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a snow day for me. I guess there are days with snow, but I don't get out of work, so I guess I still have snow days I just have to work when I have them HEHE.
PJK Posted - 02/06/2003 : 10:50:29 PM
It already started snowing and the grass and street are covered!
PJK Posted - 02/06/2003 : 7:56:04 PM
I smell a snow day coming up, hehehe. We are supposed to get snow tonight and all day tomorrow, about 6" which isn't much, but if it is messy in the morning there is a good chance they will close school, or at least have a 2 hour delay! Wooooohooooo!!!!!!
Jay Posted - 02/05/2003 : 4:12:32 PM
I'm in the math club...and the physic...physics club.
PJK Posted - 02/05/2003 : 12:27:23 AM
Ah 103degrees eh??? Wow, I am so cold right now, that sounds wonderful. You are soooo lucky. And lucky you have Hoover to give you great massages, gosh you know where great massages can lead....hehehe.

You are so damn lucky!
LizT Posted - 02/04/2003 : 10:44:02 PM
By the way, I can't wait for summer. It's my favorite TIMe of the year!
LizT Posted - 02/04/2003 : 10:42:36 PM
Speaking of massages, Hoover gives the best ones ever! And the hot tub is wonderful. So when are you guys going to visit me and enjoy our hot tub? It's a soothing 103 degrees... Fluff, Pam, Teri, Jason, you are all very welcome to visit and relax! You too Erich!
PJK Posted - 02/04/2003 : 4:43:33 PM
Ok, Ofcourse the booklets and covers of the cd's would be ruined. Dah.....what was I thinking....guess I wasn't thinking. When you explained everything it made perfect sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that!

Man Fluffy you do take a lot of shit from people. I know it's your job but geeze, couldn't they have given you a freakin break??? Six hours on your feet in the rain, that is a lot to ask of someone. They better make it up to you. All those "one hour in the rain" guys had better cough up some serious dough for Teri's marathon. That seems only fair to me at least!

You really needed someone to give you a foot massage after that night!

Between the mildew (Which I am allergic to as well so I really understand how bad it can make you feel) to the alley and rain, sounds like your week wasn't any better than mine!

Hope this week is looking better!
Fluffy Posted - 02/03/2003 : 6:24:44 PM
Speaking of, your $1000 post, have you checked that topic? There is a little surprise there.
tericee Posted - 02/03/2003 : 6:13:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PJK

Geeze Fluffy, Just catching up on what I missed last week.

THANK YOU, Pam. I have been looking for this post, but couldn't find it. Fluffy had just finished typing it when I called and told him about my $1000 check. He didn't want to read it to me so I told him I'd find it and read it myself. Since you brought it back to the top, I finally did -- more than a week later.
Fluffy Posted - 02/03/2003 : 5:49:20 PM
By jove, I think she's got it!!

Flaming Moe anyone!!!!
Miss Sorrel Posted - 02/03/2003 : 5:47:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy quoting is very easy

Did I do it right?
Fluffy Posted - 02/03/2003 : 5:14:46 PM
Unfortunately, for insurance purposes, the salvager has to come pickup whatever we claim as lost. I kinda hoped we would get to "dispose" of it after we got our insurance check. Oh well. Guess they are to smart for that. HEHE
__________ Posted - 02/03/2003 : 5:10:05 PM
if yer looking to sell the damaged cds
Fluffy Posted - 02/03/2003 : 4:13:58 PM
What I really needed that nite were my boots and FLUFFY SOCKS!!! HEHE

Hey Miss Sorrel, quoting is very easy. After you have clicked on the REPLY button and the box where you type your reply comes up, there is and icon that looks like a page of typing with a red arrow in it. Click on that and insert the text you want to quote in between the items provided and you are set. It's EZ as pie, or in your case, Chocolate Chip Cookies. If you don't understand my description, you can click on the FAQ and it also tells you how to do it, but it is easier to click on the "quote" box.
PJK Posted - 02/03/2003 : 3:55:08 PM
Whoa, what a story.

Maybe they should change the shirts from Fluffy Sucks to SomeTIMes it Sucks to be Fluffy!!!
Fluffy Posted - 02/03/2003 : 3:44:22 PM
Well, looks as though things are covered, but it has been quite stressful for my friend the owner while he gets it sorted out. I think the final decision comes tomorrow. As for can CD's get ruined, it depends I guess on what you mean by ruined. The water doesn't actually ruin the CD's, but it does ruin the booklets and if they are the digipacs, they are ruined. You have to keep in mind that this is merchandise that was destined for sale so it is hard to sell something that is water damaged even if the disc itself is not ruined in the true sense of the word. Yes the disc will probably play but who wants to buy a CD that is all water damaged. Certainly not for full price and then you end up having to sell them for what you paid for them or in some cases less. That is the real problem. Anyway, looks like insurance is going to cover it. It has been a real pain as I have had to help out ever spare, free minute I have had since it happened and the store is now starting to get "that smell" because the insurance has taken so long to come and check it out. Before, they had told us not to touch anything till they could come look at it, which was just ridiculous as there was over 2 inches of standing water. So we cleaned up the water the best we could but had to leave all the wet boxes, and records back in the back wet and the have started to mold and mildew. Well, unfortunately, I am allergic to molds and everytime I am in the store my eyes start getting irritated and my nose starts running and I start sneezing. So it hasn't been easy to spend all my free TIMe there helping out. It is actually pretty miserable. Luckily tomorrow, they are coming to take away the damaged merchandise so hopefully we can get the store back to a mold-free enviroment. No I did not catch a cold, but it sure was miserable to be wet and freezing. Speaking of which, my Friday nite was not much better HEHE. I was working as the runner for The Pretenders at the club and after running all day, the TM said he wanted to settle reciepts during the opening band. I was excited as I figured this meant there was nothing else for me to do for them so I could go home. I had been there since 10 am running and was excited at the prospect of going home early. I told the MOD that I was probably going to get cut and he said to let him know what I found out. I go and settle with Wiff and ask if this means we are done and he says he can't think of anything else, so I say I will probably go. He gets a look on his face and says it would be great if I could stick around for a bit longer in case he needs me some more. So I go back and tell the MOD I am bummed because he has decided not to let me go at this TIMe, to which the MOD says, it's OK, I wasn't going to let you go if he was done with you anyway, I was going to have you switch to door. So given the new circumstances, they put me on the alley position next to the buses so if Wiff needed me he could find me quickly. So basically I was the power-float in the alley. Well that started at around 8pm till 2am and it rained the entire TIMe. I was soaked to the bone. I had not dressed for outside duty and as it was the Pretenders, we had been requested to not wear leather products and since I was the runner figured I could just wear my old sneeks. Let me say, old sneeks should never be your choice for footwear to stand in the rain for 6 hours. Of course it was cold, I was soaking wet and miserable and all the other doorstaph would rotate thru the alley positions once an hour. They would complain about being stuck in the rain and cold and I of course was feeling no sympathy for any of them as I was out there for the duration. Anyway, to make a long story short(HEHE, guess that's not possible at this point)Everyone else was out in it for 1 hour and I was in it for 6. Everyone was sure I was going to have pneumonia the next day, but I survived it without a scratch. Although my feet were incredibly sore from standing on them in wet shoes for so long, but that went away a couple of hours after I got home.
Miss Sorrel Posted - 02/02/2003 : 11:49:04 PM
I haven't figured out how to take quotes and put them in the box for the replies, but PJK, I laughed hard when I read that your husband uses the phrase "colder than a whitches tit". I thought for sure that a guy I dated was the only person that would ever think to say such a weird thing, and believe me, I had to have the logic explained to me, and I figured out, there isn't any. But, I am happy that he isn't alone, it doesn't seem quite as strange...

I was in NY last weekend in negative temps, and then flew into Florida with it being in the 60s... yep, I got the flu. Now in Florida (no-snow-day-land), we've hit that time of year where when driving at night, I have to put on the heat since it's still in the upper 30s to low 40s.... But when I get in the car in the morning... my already hot seats become hotter not only from the upper sunny 70s temp, but because I left my heat on and blasts me. A very strange thing. As for my fashion leather jackets... I had fun wearing them for the month I could ....l I actually just packed up my "winter clothes" (a couple sweaters and a few thick long sleeve shirts) in a trunk.... ugh... bathing suit shopping now ..... I'm sure I sound completely ridiculous... but I wish to could "experience" winter... i at least want to see the leaves change color (not just dry up and fall)... and I feel like my childhood is missing something since I have never mande a snow man. I am such a whinner.

And Fluffy.... ditto to PJK's questions and concerns.... Hope everything is going alright
PJK Posted - 02/02/2003 : 2:47:16 PM
Geeze Fluffy, Just catching up on what I missed last week. So sorry to hear about your fall. Are you ok????

Are things at your store fixed yet? Hope things were covered by insurance.

I didn't think water would ruin CD's....apparently it does???

You are lucky you didn't get sick from going out in those temps all wet like that. Actually I know it isn't the cold that makes you sick but it does lower your resistance.

Anyway hope it is all resolved now.
Fluffy Posted - 01/25/2003 : 4:30:01 PM
Speaking of cold snaps, DC had it's share which resulted in me missing a show last nite. I got an urgent, frantic call from my boss at the record store, it appears that during the last 4 or 5 days of seriously cold weather a pipe to the sprinkler system in the store froze and ruptured and yesterday when it thawed due to warmer temps, the pipe began flowing and flowed for approx. 4 hours before anyone could get it shut off. Lots of record and CD stock was ruined and it was a royal pain. We were under at least 2 inches of water and while we bailed and tried to fix it we were constantly soaked by the water pouring out of the ceiling and then having to go out side totally wet in below freezing temps. to dump the water which immediately froze the entire alley into one large sheet of ice, which I later slipped and fell and hurt myself on. All the way around it sucked, I could go into greater detail but I don't feel like reliving it at this TIMe.
dan p. Posted - 01/25/2003 : 3:56:05 PM
snow days are awesome. i had friday off because a watermain broke in the school. not my doing, i swear. anyway, i get a 5 day weekend. it's really cold where you are, too?
PJK Posted - 01/24/2003 : 3:55:46 PM
Jay you are sooo lucky! I was up late last night and it was snowing real hard and I thought "great maybe a 2 hour delay" but it stopped after a short while and so no such luck! Booooo It is still sooo cold here! Colder than a whitches tit, as my husband says, hehehe!

Hey, I don't care now because it's Friday, wohooo!!!!

As for the leather coats, it reminds me of my daughter who wears very short mini skirts, much to my dismay, but the other day she wore a mini skirt, her high black leather boots and her leather coat and then complained about the cold! She may have looked "hot" but she froze! I guess that's the price of vanity, hehehe.
Jay Posted - 01/24/2003 : 3:28:24 PM
Well, this is a WINTER leather coat. It's not a fashion leather coat, it's accually a fishing coat. It's got lots of insulation, and it's very warm.
Fluffy Posted - 01/24/2003 : 2:50:17 PM
Jay said:
quote:
OH! ANd I got a nice leather coat form my dad for no apparent reason...
I am guessing it was for THE COLD, that reason seems quite apparent to me. apPARENT looking our for his son in the COLD!

CPPJames said:
quote:
I'll take a large down jacket over a leather coat in a blizzard any day.
We came to this same realization in NYC this weekend. Warmth over fashion, we may have looked cooler in our leather jackets, but we nearly froze to death HEHE.
CPPJames Posted - 01/24/2003 : 1:17:59 PM
I lived in Buffalo for 20 years or so and I had a great leather coat. Problem was, it was so damn cold during the winter that it was basically useless because it didn't keep me warm enough. I'll take a large down jacket over a leather coat in a blizzard any day. It's nice during early/late spring though.
Jay Posted - 01/24/2003 : 12:12:01 PM
That is pretty damn cold...I got another one today...so I've had two days of school this week and four last week....I love cold weather for this reason only...OH! ANd I got a nice leather coat form my dad for no apparent reason...It's nice'n'toasty
Fluffy Posted - 01/23/2003 : 5:50:08 PM
PS: Drove to NYC last Thursday in a Blizzard. It was a real pain. Got there and went out on Friday nite. In an erroneous act, we left my friends and took the subway. We got off the subway and walked about a block before I annouced, "Anywhere else we go, we take my car. I don't care how long it takes to park!" Which we did for the rest of the weekend. When we got home late Friday nite we found out the the temperature was also 7 degrees with 35-40 mph winds, so who knows how cold it was with the windchill. BRRRRRRRRRRR!!! It was like that the whole weekend. It was almost a relief to get back to DC and our reasonable cold weather of 20 degrees. HEHE

PSS: You know the windshield wiper fluid that isn't supposed to freeze? Well it was slushing up on my windshield. Now that's COLD!!
Fluffy Posted - 01/23/2003 : 5:45:31 PM
NC just got hit with 10 inches. First measurable snow in 13 years. Everything shut down till Monday. Can you say "SNOW DAYS"? Read for yourself:

NAGS HEAD, N.C. (Jan. 23) - A rare snowstorm hit the Outer Banks Thursday and was expected to drop as much as 10 inches - the first significant snowfall for the North Carolina coast in 13 years.

Dare County, which includes most of the Outer Banks, closed schools and suspended trash collection until Monday after the first 3 inches fell, and the state was sending in snow plows because the county doesn't have any of its own.

Ace Hardware in Nags Head had about 50 shoppers stocking up on storm essentials Wednesday.

''We've sold all the snow shovels we had, which was about five,'' said manager Renee Thompson, adding that the shovels are usually used for sand, not snow.

The frigid air, which has been hurtling in from Canada for more than a week, froze most of the country east of the Rocky Mountains, and schools were closed in several states.

Minneapolis and Fargo, N.D., weren't expected to reach zero degrees Thursday, and temperatures were forecast to remain below freezing even as far south as Atlanta. Wind chill warnings and advisories were issued for more than two dozen states.

The Outer Banks are usually immune to such chills because it is insulated by relatively warm water, said Roy Pringle, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Morehead City.

But this storm was expected to bring winds of up to 30 mph, resulting in near blizzard conditions at times at the coast, Pringle said.

The area's last snowfall of any consequence came on Christmas 1989.

The snow arrived with bitterly cold temperatures statewide, with highs forecast for the teens and 20s Thursday. Schools were closed across the state and the commute for workers was slowed and, in some cases, delayed. Icy conditions forced police to close the I-277 loop around downtown Charlotte.

Families scavenged for sleds but, finding few in stores, they had to improvise.

''In Wanchese, the kids slide on fish boxes that have wax on the bottom of them,'' said John LaCount, photo manager at the Kmart in Kill Devil Hills.

In South Carolina, 9 inches of snow fell in Clover, near the North Carolina line. The forecast there meant more work for Oliver Ellis, who sells firewood in Greenville, S.C.

''It started in November when we got the ice, and it will keep going into March,'' Ellis said.

AP-NY-01-23-03 1103EST
Jay Posted - 01/23/2003 : 3:40:24 PM
There's about 16 inches of snow out side, but that's nothing in my town. THe raods are fine, it's jsut too cold!
PJK Posted - 01/23/2003 : 3:15:05 PM
OK, so was there also snow????or just really dangerous conditions for kids to be out in....too cold to stand at the bus stop etc.

I assume since you said snowday you have snow....how much?????????

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000