Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 Life Changing Experiance with Victor Wooten

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
victorwootenfan Posted - 01/18/2003 : 9:19:47 PM
Any other musicians, bass players or just anyone who likes music HAS to check out, Victor Wooten Live at Bass Day 98!!!! I ordered it a few weeks ago and it finally just came in. It was the most amazing 2 hour dvd i've ever seen. I'm gonna wath it here in a bit, Wooten goes through a bunch of songs off of a show of hands and just plays the most mindblowing songs on it. Guest appearences by his brother regi and oteil Burbridge!! Everyone, go and see it...i can't even describe to you the blisters on my thumb from practicing his techinques. God it hurts though!!
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fleabass76 Posted - 01/20/2003 : 08:06:27 AM
Hehe, in my high school jazz band one of the people in the jazz combo wrote a song for us that had a slap line written out for me, and since at the time I had not slapped in awhile so my callous(sp?) wasn't as tough as it once had been. So after the second straight day of running this song, the blister that had developed bursted and sprayed blood all over the end of my fretboard. It was still there to the day I sold the bass...kinda makes me wish I wouldn't have sold it...
pcbTIM Posted - 01/19/2003 : 8:38:42 PM
I don't know how I accomplished it, but I have never made myself bleed or even get blisters from playing the guitar. I somehow managed to skip that phase and go straight to callouses (sp?).
Jay Posted - 01/19/2003 : 4:03:43 PM
I wrote a song which involves strumming with fingernails, and then strummign all of the strings muted. Because you can't get the smae tone with a pick, especially on a 12 string, you often tear the skin off of your finger, underneath the nail. I've bled a lot playing that song, but it's always bene one of my favorites to play for friends, and they always ask me to play it.
victorwootenfan Posted - 01/19/2003 : 2:55:34 PM
On the dvd there is a live version of him playing norweigan wood, using tapping and harmonics...also it's pretty cool seeing him use a loop pedal, never seen him do that before. I use to have blood on my acoustic from my picking hand, i would miss hitting the pick on the string, and instead would hit it with chunks of my fingers(not on purpose either!)
Jay Posted - 01/19/2003 : 12:35:48 PM
I totally agree. I had a blister the other night, and I kept playing with it until it poped...it hurt, but I kept going...It's kind of like war scars..."See, guys, this is where I got shot!" I think it somehow makes you a bit stronger..." See, guys, I had this blister the other night and I..." It shows how powerful music really is.
Dickey500 Posted - 01/19/2003 : 12:27:45 PM
I gotta agree...when you play so hard you bleed - you're moved to a higher level. I remember playing once when a guy I was playing with was like "hey, you have blood all over your strings." Then I stopped playing and the pain set in...if he hadn't said anything, I would have kept on playing without any problems.
Jay Posted - 01/19/2003 : 12:23:55 PM
Thanks Pam!
PJK Posted - 01/19/2003 : 11:45:08 AM
Yeah Jay, if I have to have pain at least it was from something I loved doing.....but damn it still hurts today! You really make me laugh because you will come up with the craziest posts and then write something totally serious and rational, hehehe I bet you are one fine guitar player!
Jay Posted - 01/18/2003 : 10:56:24 PM
Ah yes, but it's lovely knowing that your hand hurts so bad because you were making music, huh? I love when I skin a knuckle or something while doing something on guitar...and then people ask me why my finger's bleeding...and I get to tell them that I was playing guitar and cut myself...It's great when you can really get into music so much as to push yourself till you wear out. I love that. PAlying guitar till four in morning and then going to bed knowing that I jsut spent four hours of my life doing what I love best...Ah music is fantastic, isn't it?
PJK Posted - 01/18/2003 : 10:49:18 PM
First, since I was impressed with Live at the Quick, I will definitely look into VW Live at Bass Day 98. I still have some gift cards from Christmas to use up.

Secondly, I feel your pain. I wasn't feeling the greatest today so I thought some tabla playing would lift my spirits and get my mind off my stuffy head, but I kind of lost track of the time and now my left hand is killing me! I didn't know there were so many muscles in a hand but I've got to say, I am feeling them all!!! I can hardly move my fingers! So I am typing this with one hand!
Jay Posted - 01/18/2003 : 10:16:43 PM
Your thumb hurts, huh? Stop manipulating your instrument, then!

Glad to hear you like your new object of entertainment. I'll hafta see it. I have an mp3 of Vic playing a crazy ass, twisted version of Norweigen Wood. Good stuff, I much enjoy it, I do. Very entertaining, I must add. Swell.
pcbTIM Posted - 01/18/2003 : 10:12:52 PM
I used to think that Victor Wooten was pretty good at bass, that is until I got Live Art and Greatest Hits of the 20th Century. The Sinister Minister and Stomping grounds are unbelievable. Now I know he's the best bass player in the world........period. Maybe when I have some funds I'll purchase this DVD, and Live at the Quick.

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000