Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Tim Reynolds - Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Tim Reynolds Message Board
 Friends Aboard the Space Pod
 euuuuhhhhhhhh......

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: How many total fingers does a human have?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KevinLesko Posted - 12/28/2002 : 5:11:18 PM

Former French journalist Claude Vorilhon, who now calls himself Rael, claims to be a direct descendant of extraterrestrials who created human life on Earth through genetic engineering. A company founded by his followers announced Friday that the first human clone has been born -- a 7-pound baby girl dubbed "Eve."

can anyone say... COO COO???
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LizT Posted - 02/25/2003 : 4:10:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tericee

An interesting point. Medical ethics is getting more and more difficult I think. Most people agree cloning people is right out. But would it be terrible to clone a heart, lung, or liver?

Sixth Day was not the best movie ever made, but it certainly did make me think. They had that whole re-pet thing, which I found intriguing. Is it okay to clone pets, but not humans?

Teri I just read your comment. Experimentation on humans is unethical but it happens all the TIMe, especially in the obstetrical field. I think it's totally obsurd for someone in their 50's to be assisted in becoming pregnant. The parent or should I say mother will be toooo old to care for this child while they are growing up. I just think it's pretty selfish of the mother to do that. But on the other hand I applaud women to be surragate moms for an unfertile couple. BUT.... it takes a strong woman to carry and bare a child and give it to the adoptive parents. Funny, if I was still able to have kids I would do that for someone. I have 4 kids of my own and would love to give that gift to loving parents.
Silky The Pimp Posted - 02/25/2003 : 12:14:56 PM
It's ok... sometimes you watch movies as an adult that you watched as a kid and they just seem terrible. But sometimes there are ones that are still as entertaining as ever. I am secure enough with my manhood to admit that I saw TMNT 2 on Starz a few weeks ago and it was still great. Splinter is the man.
CPPJames Posted - 02/25/2003 : 11:08:26 AM
HELL YEAH!! I watched TMNT this weekend. That movie kicks some serious ass. Ok, did I just say that outloud?
therippa Posted - 02/25/2003 : 10:46:56 AM
We are one step closer to ninja turles.
GRock Posted - 02/25/2003 : 09:43:30 AM
they have cloned a cat. it was a black cat but the clone was actually like orange. (which i find funny cuz it is like halloween) so actually there can be a lot different between an original and the clone. for instance the entire RNA inside the cell is not replaced, only the DNA and the original cell used is not from the parent so yeah there can be lot's different. it is not an exact copy by any stretch. i wonder if that makes it more right or more wrong...
tericee Posted - 02/24/2003 : 9:38:55 PM
An interesting point. Medical ethics is getting more and more difficult I think. Most people agree cloning people is right out. But would it be terrible to clone a heart, lung, or liver?

Sixth Day was not the best movie ever made, but it certainly did make me think. They had that whole re-pet thing, which I found intriguing. Is it okay to clone pets, but not humans?
LizT Posted - 02/16/2003 : 10:54:49 AM
Sounds like our species is going to be a bunch of mutants! Where are the ethics, or should I say the lack of them......
Fluffy Posted - 02/14/2003 : 2:14:01 PM
Well I am no scientist, but I would say this news does not bode well for the supposedly cloned children:

DOLLY THE CLONED SHEEP PUT TO SLEEP

by Jane Wardell c.AssPress

LONDON (Feb. 14) - Dolly the sheep, the world's first mammal cloned from an adult, has died after being diagnosed with progressive lung disease, the Roslin Institute said Friday.

The decision to end the life of 6-year-old Dolly was made after a veterinary examination confirmed the lung disease, a statement from the institute said.

Dolly was born in 1996, and she created an international sensation when the Scottish research institute announced its achievement on Feb. 23, 1997.

In 1999, scientists noticed that the cells in Dolly's body - cloned from a 6-year-old sheep - had started to show signs of wear more typical of an older animal.

Some geneticists said the finding provided evidence that researchers could not manufacture copies of animals without the original genetic blueprint eventually wearing out.

Many attempts to clone animals have ended in failure. Deformed fetuses have died in the womb with oversized organs, while others were born dead. Still others died days after being born, some twice as large as they should have been.

Dr. Harry Griffin of the Roslin Institute, near Edinburgh, said Friday that sheep can live to 11 or 12 years and lung infections are common in older sheep, particularly those housed inside.

``A full post-mortem is being conducted and we will report any significant findings,'' Griffin said.

Last year Dolly's creators announced she had developed arthritis at the relatively early age of 5 1/2 years, stirring debate over whether cloning procedures might be flawed.

Prof. Ian Wilmut, the leader of the team that created Dolly, said in January 2002 that apart from the arthritis, Dolly remained a healthy animal who has given birth to six lambs.

He also said Dolly was responding well to a treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs and that her condition will be closely monitored.

02/14/03 12:35 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.
SpaceMonkey Posted - 01/07/2003 : 3:32:38 PM
As usual, Weird Al proves himself as one of the most innovative and progressive musical acts of this century....
Jamie M Posted - 01/07/2003 : 3:12:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fluffy

I don't know the details of this cloning stuff, but doesn't the child(?) end up looking exactly like the mother? I mean if you use a mother and a father to concieve sans womb, it's a test tube baby. I thought clones were exact reproductions of yourself. Who would want a child exactly like them, except maybe Michael Jackson, and we know if he cloned himself it would look NOTHING like he looks now. Wouldn't that be bizarre.

That is true. Differences in environment could have an effect on appearance somewhere along the line, but the baby should be basically identical. Personality is probably the most interesting thing about it...Whether or not they would have identical personalities.
Fluffy Posted - 01/07/2003 : 2:27:22 PM
I don't know the details of this cloning stuff, but doesn't the child(?) end up looking exactly like the mother? I mean if you use a mother and a father to concieve sans womb, it's a test tube baby. I thought clones were exact reproductions of yourself. Who would want a child exactly like them, except maybe Michael Jackson, and we know if he cloned himself it would look NOTHING like he looks now. Wouldn't that be bizarre.
Jamie M Posted - 01/06/2003 : 7:46:09 PM
Haha, I can just see it... "My lesbian lover wants rights to my cloned baby".
KevinLesko Posted - 01/06/2003 : 02:47:53 AM
Now you know it has to be a fraud when they start stealing storys from Jerry Springer! Lesbian couple my ass!
Fluffy Posted - 01/05/2003 : 9:12:51 PM
I'm am definitely inclined to agree with Kevin:

KOO KOO!!!

They just can't seem to make up their minds!

SECOND CLONED BABY REPORTEDLY BORN

BY Toby Sterling .c AssPress

AMSTERDAM (Jan. 4) - Clonaid, the company that claims to have produced the first human clone, said Saturday it has produced a second one - a girl born to a Dutch lesbian.

Neither baby has been confirmed to be a clone by genetic testing, and mainstream scientists are skeptical of the company's claims.

Clonaid spokeswoman Nadine Gary said in a telephone interview the child was born Friday night, but declined to say where. Clonaid vice president, Thomas Kaenzig, said the baby is a girl whose parents are two Dutch women.

''It's a homosexual couple, a lesbian couple from Holland. The baby's doing fine. They're very happy and excited about it, and so are we,'' he told Associated Press Radio, speaking from an undisclosed location in the Dominican Republic.

Gary said she expects the second baby will undergo genetic testing to show it is a clone, with DNA identical to that of its mother.

The group made a similar promise about Eve, a cloned girl purportedly born to U.S. parents on Dec. 26. But Clonaid now says the parents of that baby are balking at testing.

Brigitte Boisselier, Clonaid's chief executive and top scientist, told The Associated Press Television News on Saturday that the parents have promised to tell her Monday whether they will allow DNA testing to confirm the claim.

The second baby's name had not been revealed. In television interviews, Boisselier has said the parents of the second baby want to remain anonymous.

Spokeswoman Gary said that, while the parents are Dutch, the birth did not take place in the Netherlands, where cloning is illegal.

''The parents have Dutch nationality, but they are not in Holland,'' Gary said.

Clonaid was founded by the leader of the Raelians, a sect that believes aliens created life on Earth.

Clonaid sells ''cloning'' services and products, and may benefit from the publicity around its claims, whether they are true or false.

Scientists have successfully cloned mammals such as pigs and sheep, but the technology is not reliable and most scientists say it is difficult, unethical and risky to attempt to clone humans.

AP-NY-01-04-03 2159EST
Fluffy Posted - 01/03/2003 : 8:08:22 PM
NEW YORK (Jan. 3) - The scientist who rocked the world with her announcement of the first human clone one week ago is now backing off promises of DNA testing to prove it.

Brigitte Boisselier, the chemist who heads Clonaid, which claims to have produced the clone, told a French television station Thursday that no DNA sample has been taken and the parents of the baby are reluctant.

''The parents told me that they needed 48 hours to decide yes or no - if they would do it,'' Boisselier told TV station France-2 in an interview.

Many experts have expressed skepticism about the cloning claims. Clonaid was launched by a religious sect that believes life on Earth was created by extraterrestrials using genetic engineering.

Experts have said they need DNA proof to believe claims by Boisselier, who is a bishop in the Raelian sect. Last week she said test results should be ready in eight or nine days proving the baby is a clone of the 31-year-old American woman who is also the mother.

But now she says the parents are reconsidering the DNA testing because of legal action taken in Florida that could result in the child being taken away from them.

Miami attorney Bernard F. Siegel asked a court in Florida this week to turn the baby over to state care if it found the baby's health was in danger. Though Clonaid has kept secret the baby's whereabouts, the company held its news conference in Hollywood, Fla., to announce the birth of the baby. Siegel said that could give the court jurisdiction.

Attempts by The Associated Press to reach Michael Guillen, a freelance journalist and former ABC-TV science editor who was arranging the DNA testing, were not successful. A spokeswoman for Clonaid said she was not familiar with Boisselier's broadcast remarks and was unable to comment.

AP-NY-01-03-03 1209EST
Fluffy Posted - 01/01/2003 : 2:57:31 PM
Clones (We're all)

I'm a clone
I know it and I'm fine
I'm one and more are on the way
I'm two, doctor
Three's on the line
He'll take incubation another day
CHORUS: I'm all alone, so are we all
We're all clones
All are one and one are all
We destroyed the government
We're destroying time
No more problems on the way

REFRAIN: I'm through doctor
We don't need your kind
The other ones
Ugly ones
Stupid boys
Wrong ones
CHORUS
Six is having problems
Adjusting to his clone status
Have to put him on a shelf
(Please don't put me on the shelf)
All day long we hear him crying so loud
I just wanna be myself
I just wanna be myself
I just wanna be myself
Be myself
Be myself

I'm all alone, so are we all
We destroyed the government
We're destroyed time
No more problems on the way
REFRAIN
CHORUS
I'm all alone, so are we all
We're all clones

ALICE COOPER
PJK Posted - 12/30/2002 : 7:13:15 PM
Ofcourse there are a lot of resemblences to religion....God is not of this world so He is sort of an extraterrestrial, making us all descendants of extraterrestrials. Jesus supposedly ascended into Heaven...hummm...Beam me up Scotty....not trying to be sac. religious but there are similarities......hehehe
Fleabass76 Posted - 12/30/2002 : 6:46:58 PM
Maybe he's the only sane one....and we're all crazy!
Erich Posted - 12/29/2002 : 06:00:42 AM
Isn't it strange...? Feels like I'm lookin' in the mirror
What would people say...if only they knew that I was
Part of some geneticist's plan
Born to be a carbon copy man
There in a petri dish late one night
They took a donor's body cell and fertilized a human egg and so I say...

I think I'm a clone now
There's always two of me just a-hangin' around
I think I'm a clone now
'Cause every chromosome is a hand-me-down

Look at the way...we go out walking close together
I guess you could say...I'm really beside myself
I still remember how it began
They produced a carbon copy man
Born in a science lab late one night
Without a mother or a father
Just a test tube and a womb with a view...

I think I'm a clone now
There's always two of me just a-hangin' around
I think I'm a clone now
I think I'm a clone now
And I can stay at home while I'm out of town
I think I'm a clone now
'Cause every pair of genes is a hand-me-down

Signing autographs for my fans
Come and meet the carbon copy man
Livin' in stereo, it's all right
Well I can be my own best friend and I can send myself for pizza, so I say...

I think I'm a clone now
Another one of me's always hangin' around
I think I'm a clone now
I think I'm a clone now
I've been on Oprah Winfrey, I'm world renowned
I think I'm a clone now
And every pair of genes is a hand-me-down
I think I'm a clone now
Thats my genetic twin always hangin' around
I think I'm a clone now

~ "Weird Al" Yankovic
{=HTG=} Posted - 12/29/2002 : 04:16:17 AM
Yep, that explains everything.
GuitarGuy305 Posted - 12/28/2002 : 10:02:14 PM
I think someone took Sci Fi's Taken a bit too far.

Adam
PJK Posted - 12/28/2002 : 8:06:55 PM
Stanger yet, was that photo taken in our Capitol Bldg in DC????

I didn't read the article but I thought I read a headlines somewhere that the cloned baby was a hoax....do you think????? dah

Tim Reynolds - Message Board © Back to the top Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000